KaiCalan
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to KaiCalan Send a message via Yahoo to KaiCalan

Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 PM

So, I was browsing around on Goodreads, and I stumbled across a series written by G. Norman Lippert. It's written in the same style as the Harry Potter books, and begins with the oldest Potter (James Sirius) beginning at Hogwarts.

I'm only a few chapters in, but it's really got me hooked. So far I've seen the first two available as free ebook downloads on Goodreads.

I was wondering if anyone else here had discovered these yet, and wanted to fan-out with me a little bit.

WingsDurus
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 AM

Oh, I actually saw those. They looked interesting but I was reading another series at the time and forgot about them. I'm guessing they're pretty good if you're hooked on them.

kadensunstar
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Wow I wasn't aware there was a next generation. This is awesome! I must read!

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM

This drew my attention. Next Generation? I'm googling the author now haha. I hope it is a good read!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM

I haven't heard of those! I'll have to check on Goodreads.

Metempsychosis
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 AM

I have heard of these, there was a really big scandal about them for quite awhile and I'm not entirely sure if it's died down yet or not. He made a pretty wonderful website for the books though, and I did attempt to give them a read, but after awhile I had to stop. It was very clear that he was very much an American who didn't have a full understanding of British culture, and the inclusion of so much American themes turned me away from the series rather quickly.

Part of what makes Harry Potter so special to me has always been the fact that its very British. I've read scads of fanfiction as a result of the series, and nothing causes me to leave quicker than the inclusion of Mary Sues, or the Americanizing of the stories. I'm not saying this gentleman isn't a good writer; he definitely has a strong grasp of story weaving. Ultimately though, his works are fanfiction (Fanfiction he was making money off of, for a time, thus the lawsuit/scandal/etc) and part of the fandom is the fact Harry Potter is a British story, so I for one was not at all a fan. That said, the Americanizing appeals to American markets, so he's certainly done well in the aspect of causing yet more youth to connect to the tales, so props for that I suppose.

pinkii
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 AM

I wonder if the series is canon. But considering that this was written by another author, it may not be.
It's still interesting to read someone else's interpretation on what happens to the future generation. I might have to take a look.

Kin-Akari
Pheonix Lover

Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM

@Metempsychosis: You telling me that right there is enough to make me decide not to try it. That was always my favorite part about the Harry Potter series, it being so very British. I'm an American kid, I already know my own culture in and out. I loved being immersed in a culture not my own. So, even if they guy's a really great author, I'm not going to be as interested in reading this story since it doesn't have that British appeal.

hulahipz
#teamRAINBOW

Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 PM

I HAVENT HEARD OF IT