Rylynne
your resident bonafide coffee ad...

Old 10-13-2008, 05:24 AM

Hi there! Just wanted to throw this question at you all: do you prefer traditional art or digital art? Whether it's drawing them or buying them, we all have some sort of preference, or we just tend to lean towards one or the other.

Just to open up some healthy discussion. =D

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 AM

I don't draw, so I'll have to go with digital when it comes to purchasing art, but not because I think it's better than traditional art. Rather because the results usually turn out better online (where I purchase most of my art) if it's done digitally or drawn traditionally and then enhanced or colored via the computer, as colors or lines tend to get washed-out when scanned.

If I can receive a hard copy of the artwork, then traditional is great. ^^ Especially watercolored, copics, or toned pieces.

Last edited by Ferra; 10-13-2008 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: typo

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM

I like both. : D
I mostly stick with digital because in the long run it's a lot cheaper. xD;
With traditional art, I usually do copics and ink but sometimes acrylics when I have a lot of free time. : )
With selling art, people usually prefer digital. Most traditional stuff turns out of a lesser quality when you scan it in. o 3o

Digital art seems to just boggle the mind of the general public. It makes me laugh. When you mention that you drew something on photoshop, people usually just think of actual...photos. >___>;
I did a project for AP Bio and drew some cellular respiration drawings on a powerpoint. Even though it was the most atrocious coloring in the world, people thought it was amazing because it was digitally colored and totally couldn't grasp the concept. xD
At the same time, a lot of the traditional artists at my school seem to be elitists when it comes to traditional vs. digital. xD

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 AM

Everyone starts from traditional to digital. At least, that's what I think.

Digital art is very nice, clean, and cool.
BUT, people can be extremely skilled in traditional art, too.

But what's weird is, online, people talk about digital art more.
But offline, they talk about traditional art more. :?

But I've seen people do amazing things with the computer, and even more amazing things with a pencil. ;]

Rylynne

Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 AM

Interesting points of view, everyone~ :3 I agree though, digital does look better on the computer than traditional, probably cause digital artwork really is made for the computer. xD

Although, say, someone sketched something traditionally. But, because it didn't scan right, the artist had to edit it a little in Photoshop - just to make it look like how it originally looked in RL. Does that still count as traditional art, or digital art? =O

@ Chibi : What do you mean when you say "elitists"? I'm curious. xD

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylynne View Post
Although, say, someone sketched something traditionally. But, because it didn't scan right, the artist had to edit it a little in Photoshop - just to make it look like how it originally looked in RL. Does that still count as traditional art, or digital art? =O
It's still traditional art. Started as traditional art. They only made minor adjustments to it, so it'll look like the original.

Rylynne

Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 AM

I see~ I thought as much, but I just wanted to check, since we were on the topic of discussing the quality of traditional art as its translated/scanned for the computer. :3

Oh, and Mermy, do you have a certain preference, btw? I didn't really see any inclination towards one or the other in your posts, unless you don't have any? I'm just curious. xD

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Yeah, that's cause I don't really have one.
Since I lost my stylus to my tablet [lol, nubz.], I can't draw digitally.
But then again, I can't draw traditionally. It's because I'm not fond to the smell of pen, and my scanner KILLS quality. DX

But if I had my tablet working, I'd prolly prefer CG art.
Only cause chibis are cuter that way. 8D
And because I can't afford those Copic markers. ;-;

Rylynne

Old 10-14-2008, 05:50 PM

At least you have a tablet. >.>; I have to color digitally using a mouse. D:

And well, there are a bunch of different kinds of pens available in the market that don't smell bad. >.>; Oh, and I also have the same problem with my scanner. D: Normally I have to fix it in Photoshop. :x

Lol, I just realized I didn't even post my viewpoint on the matter. xD

At this point in time, I myself tend to appreciate traditional art more, because to me, it's harder to make masterpieces with it. =O Like, in traditional art, it's harder to fix your mistakes if you, for example, blotch the ink or let the colors spill. :x It's easier to correct yourself when you're doing digital art (the wonders of the Undo and History options xD).

Not to say that I don't like digital art, because I honestly love it a lot. :3 I just admire the tenacity and capabilities of traditional artists a teensy bit more than digital artists. Then again, as someone who uses a mouse, I'm seriously in awe at digital artists who can do wonders with their mouse, and even their tablets (I've tried them, and I don't think they're for me x_x).

Just to put in my two cents~ xD

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-15-2008, 06:32 AM

But it's not working silly!

I agree with you, it's way harder making master pieces and undo'ing mistakes. :o

but I can relate to you about the pain of a mouse..
D'8

Rylynne

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM

Yeah, the mouse... D: I'm still getting used to it, since I've only started coloring in Photoshop a lil recently. >.>; Any tips? You seem to have been using the mouse longer. xD

Anyhow, to stay on topic... which will you appreciate more: a traditional piece that looks digital, or a digital piece that looks traditional? Lol, the thought just popped in my head, and I thought that it could make for good related discussion~ :3

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 AM

The mouse hates me. The lines are all squiggly and FUNKY. LIKE IT'S DANCING.

Well, I think I'd appreciate the traditional one that looks digital because it's hard to get computer-like effects on paper. =O

Rylynne

Old 10-16-2008, 05:22 AM

LOL. xDD So true! It's why I tend to work with, like, 20% opacity. Makes it easier to fix. xDD

And hmm, yeah, true. =O I remember seeing something like that before. Too bad I dunno where to find it anymore. >.>; I think the medium used was poster paint or some sort of thick paint, so that the colors looked real solid. :3

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 AM

Oh , I see . X]

Well, when you scan it in.. i dont think it'll look that really digital anymore. xD

Rylynne

Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Do you have another technique? Out of curiosity. xD

And hmm... true. =\ I saw it at an art gallery once, so, yeah. xD I'm sure there's a piece of traditional art that still looks digital when scanned though. =O I don't believe there isn't. xDD

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylynne View Post

@ Chibi : What do you mean when you say "elitists"? I'm curious. xD
Mmm....kind of like the whole "Does being an anime artist make your unable to do realism?" discussion. Just like people don't think that anime art is really art, some of the traditional artists at my school don't think that digital art is really art or that it's not classy enough. xD;

I seems like they think that traditional art involves a lot more skill because most school folks think of photoshopping photos together is what digital art is. xD

Rylynne

Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 AM

Ohh, I see. =O I'm guessing not a lot of them visit DeviantArt or other online art sites? That's sad, cause digital art is way more than just Photoshopping a bunch of pics together. xD

Although, I kinda see where they're coming from, in a way. =O Like I mentioned a few posts back, I myself have a little more admiration for traditional artists, as it's a lot harder to correct one's mistake traditionally. Shame there's no "back" button in real life. xD

Then again, I'm not saying that digital art is easy. Noo, it's also real hard. D: *sigh* Well, I guess one is entitled to their own opinions~

xlightwingx
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-18-2008, 02:48 PM

I think I prefer traditional-looking art, lol
Which means digital. Much traditional art loses quality in the digitalizing process XD

Crystal Helena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 PM

I enjoy both traditional and digital art... that is to say, I enjoy making and admiring both. I don't do a lot with Photoshop, but I make a lot of things in Adobe Illustrator. Personally, most of my stuff is just digitally colored. I have a strange love affair with Micron markers and have to draw and ink everything by hand, scan it in, and THEN color digitally. Drawing on the computer proves too tedious for me because I don't have a tablet and have to use the mouse. So, needless to say, I don't do much entirely vector arts.

I'm one of those people who's in it for the linework and not really the color. I love getting creepily up close and personal with my paper and pens and doing some really minute work on hair and eyes. Plus, I think there's something to be said about the pen strokes of a tradional artist versus inking digitally. Lines, to me, look more fluid and natural in tradional mediums. Digital art IS quite beautiful, though. As with any other form of art, you've got to have a knack and talent for it.

However, this is strictly my opinion... when two of the same pieces of the same quality are put up against one another, one done digitally one traditionally... I'll always give more props to the traditional artist... because there is no undo option.

Anna_Crackers
*^_^*

Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM

My belief is that, if you want to get better at digital art, the best thing you can do is traditional drawing from observation. Painting counts as well. I can't tell you how much painting from life has helped me understand value, tone, and color in my digital paintings.

I try drawing form life as much as possible (when I'm not on 3DS Max or Photoshop... D:)

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 PM

EDIT:
I am both traditional and digital artist, but I am impartial towards digital, sure it is much cheaper than traditional, but I would like something that I can touch, smell and occasionally "taste" lolz!

Also in real life commissions, I rarely get any clients when it comes to digital. people would prefer charcoal, pastel or oil portraiture rather than printed digital portraits... maybe they're just like me who would prefer something that is tangible. though online commissions I would get lots from digital.

The "Myth" there are "No undo option with traditional?", there is:
Oil paint - you wait it to dry then add new layer of colors, or scrape it with painting knives. When wet, you rub the wrong area with alcohol or turpentine.
Acrylic - you cover the mistakes or simply scrape it away with your painting knives.
Color/Graphite pencils - you erase with an eraser. it depends on the quality of the paper and eraser. poor quality paper loses its texture fast.
Watercolor - you wash the unwanted pigments away. depends on the quality of your paper.
Pastel/Crayons - scrape it with with painting knives or sand paper.
Pen/Ink - Magic white ink used by engineers and mangaka artist.
Markers - I don't use it, so I only know about the "magic marker" that neutralize the colors lolz!

Presto! the mistake has been undone! though not as convenient as in digital where you just press the "Undo Button", it still works well :) Though most artist are extravagant or too lazy to work with the "undo" cause it can be a lot of work and time consuming, that they would just rip or throw away their artworks. So both Traditional and digital are fairly equal, I just prefer traditional :)

Last edited by Tal Blaiser; 10-21-2008 at 07:10 PM..

Skykittykat
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 AM

I am more partial to traditional art because it shows more emphasis to the many different mediums used in art. Digital Work on the other hand may look smoother but it seems less natural than traditional. In traditional the colors blend together like in real life, while in digital coloring the colors seem to bold and flashy. The difference between one color and the color of it's shadow can be amazing. Of course this is my personal opinion and if you don't agree with it you do not have to take it to heart.

dys32
Send a message via Yahoo to dys32

Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM

as for me i'm a traditional artist. and i'm also learning digital. but for me i prefer traditional because it's something i'm used to. a artist friend of mine has a simple reason he doesn't really like doing digital art. he told me this. " I'm not that fond of digital art cause it's not like i drew it, to me it's like the printer made it..." that sentence he told me made me understand something too. digital art is good right now it's easy. but nothing really is like traditional art. getting down and dirty with paint is fun too hahaha!

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 AM

I have strong feelings about both.
I like to draw manually and edit with a computer.
Here's the thing....It takes a long time to produce a quality peice. It's very tedious.
Sooo since it's far nicer to do this work manually, why not do it that way?...Then when the piece is finnished and ready for editing and coloring, stick it on the computer for the next half of the work. I do feel computer edited work looks so much better quality.

Liath
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Liath Send a message via MSN to Liath

Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM

I can do both, but I prefer digital, because most of what I draw is anime, and I can't really draw anime with charcoal and all that very well.