Ana_M
*^_^*

Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM

So, um ... I was browsing devart and other places again and ughh. I found pictures with the airbrush tool! It's rare for someone to use the airbrush tool and come out with a good looking picture in my opinion. I honestly think that the airbrush tool is the one tool all artists should avoid.

Am I the only one that thinks this or do others agree with me? Have you seen any good looking pictures where the artist used the airbrush tool for majority of it? :// What's your opinion on the tool? >.<

WishingMoon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-04-2012, 08:15 PM

I have never heard of not using the airbrush tool in the since that you should stay away from it. I've seen soft brushes as always the problem and airbrushing can be seen as that. However once you change the settings the airbrush tool can be a hard or soft brush. You can use this video as an example:
Digital Airbrush Controls in Painter 12 - YouTube

Then it becomes a question of if you know what you are doing. I've seen so many beginning artists use soft brushes as an easy and quick way to shade. It is disgusting simply because it doesn't work. Same with blur, smudge, douge(sp), and burn tools they are mostly used by people to get quick effects for what they can't do with a normal brush. Not because a hard brush can't have those effects, with better results too, it is simply because they can't.

As for the tool I don't think I've found it on any of my programs. I tend to stick with a hard brush, layers, eyedropper, and eraser.

Ana_M
*^_^*

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM

I also prefer to stick with hard brushes with varying opacity. Though, I use SAI and not Photoshop. That's true, I should remember that some people can use it correctly but for the most part most artists don't and it ruins the aesthetics of the picture. I personally do not know how to use it correctly, recently I saw an odd tutorial that talked about using it for hair strands. It looks nice the way the artist did it in the tutorial and in their art. ;x Thanks for reminding me of those who do know how to use it~.

sam-deanwinchester
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 PM

airbrush tool shouldn't be avoided. It's not bad for an artist. it's just a tool. The tool doesn't make the artisit. Most artist i seen don't just use the airbrush tool. They make up there own brush as well. There is no such thing as a bad tool. It all depends on how you use the tool. An artist can use child crayon and watercolor to make a wonderful picture. It's all about how you use it.

here is a couple example of art that was used by the airbrush tool.
Blue Nosed Dragon by ~angel5art on deviantART
Night Fury by ~KatePfeilschiefter on deviantART
Dean by *elfqueen1969 on deviantART

Last edited by sam-deanwinchester; 07-14-2012 at 11:36 PM..