Kairuna

Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM

I usually have a few going at once but right now I've been focused on Soundless by Richelle Mead.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-02-2016, 12:37 AM

Ready Player One by George Cline. It's for a book club which I've never done, so that's new and exciting~

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 03-03-2016, 03:12 PM

I just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry. Next on the list is The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. I'm expecting it to be really good, because I've read another book by her and really enjoyed it!

Pkero
~VR is the Future~

Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 AM

I haven't read The Giver in its entirety; a teacher read it aloud to us in 6th grade but I never paid attention much. Would you recommend it?

I'm currently reading How to Talk About Videogames by Ian Bogost. It's a really interesting exploration about the cultural significance of videogames and how they shape our behavior.

ladydiana
Planet Rock

Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM

I don't read much anymore .I am interested in books about Latin America and Latin American history .Any good recommendations.

reddeath26
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to reddeath26

Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 PM

I am currently working through two books. "The Three Worlds: Culture & World Development" by Peter Worsley and "Views on Capitalism" edited by Richard Romano and Melvin Leiman. I am not very far at all into Views on Capitalism, so can't comment too much. It is a reader with a variety of excerpts from varied writers. So it should be interesting. The Three Worlds is quite interesting. Didn't realize the writer was initially an anthropology major, but it showed with some of his early sources and arguments. Made it easier to get into his work.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkero View Post
I haven't read The Giver in its entirety; a teacher read it aloud to us in 6th grade but I never paid attention much. Would you recommend it?

I'm currently reading How to Talk About Videogames by Ian Bogost. It's a really interesting exploration about the cultural significance of videogames and how they shape our behavior.
Pkero:
The Giver is a very easy read. I would definitely recommend it to a younger reader. It's a nice short read for someone your age. I have a copy of it and would definitely re-read it again (I've already read it several times)

lightkanna
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 AM

Tales from the Arabian Nights, my sister bought me this book but I haven't finish it. It's a really good book. I also have this mermaid book, the last of it's trilogy. >3<

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 04-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkero View Post

Yes, I would recommend it! I feel like it's an eye opening book.

I just finished The River Between Us by Richard Peck. Another book I recommend to read. It's about a pair of twin siblings during the Civil War. There's a cool plot twist at the end. :D

Next is The Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I expect to really enjoy this one too.

Evergreen Goddess
Lady's My Bestest Friend! ~
Send a message via MSN to Evergreen Goddess

Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 AM

I was reading 'Grey' by EL James but I put it on hold and am currently reading 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee: An Indian History Of The American West' by Dee Brown. This book is so depressing, it makes me really mad sometimes when I read the cruel things done to the native americans.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 04-13-2016, 12:19 AM

i'm thinking of reading through Harry Potter again. Or Tamora pierce everything again. I just haven't decided but gonna get started soon.

technically what I AM reading right now is dungeons masters guide 3.5

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen Goddess View Post
I was reading 'Grey' by EL James but I put it on hold and am currently reading 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee: An Indian History Of The American West' by Dee Brown. This book is so depressing, it makes me really mad sometimes when I read the cruel things done to the native americans.
I'll have to look into that one by Dee Brown. I have some Native American blood in me, so that subject is really interesting.

Evergreen Goddess
Lady's My Bestest Friend! ~
Send a message via MSN to Evergreen Goddess

Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llonka View Post
I'll have to look into that one by Dee Brown. I have some Native American blood in me, so that subject is really interesting.
It's really interesting, I truly recommend it. My Great Grandfather was an Apache so I have Apache blood in me. :D

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 04-16-2016, 01:02 AM

Oh that's so cool!! I love learning about people's heritage.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-16-2016, 12:27 PM

I don't know mine :D just some kind of german/pennsylvania dutch. and something about the Mayflower.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM

I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between three books because I have a problem.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - I'm about 200 pages into this right now and I'm loving it. I love the blend between magic and history. Also the world building is A+.

The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám translated by Edward FitzGerald -Ngl I had been wanting to read this since I was a kid and found out the legend of the leather bound copy inlaid with jewels that went down with the Titanic. I found a copy from the 1940s that was in really good condition so I snatched that sucker up. The poetry itself is quite beautiful.

Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi by Rob MacGregor - On the same trip to the used book store where I found the Rubáiyát I came across a giant stack of Indiana Jones novels that were a dollar each. So naturally I snatched up four of them. Naturally. So far there has been some serious eye rolling at some of the writing, but it's an Indiana Jones novel. I'm not expecting great literature here.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 PM

I am currently reading Emperor Mage by Tamora Pierce. :D

MacSen191
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 AM

Right now I'm reading book #6 of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I have a book on request at the library and when that becomes avaliable I'm going to be reading In the Absence of Angels: A Hollywood Family's Courageous Story. I read it years ago and want to read it again so I found it at the library.(I want to own it, but a bit leary of buying used online and you can't find a new copy online... well I did but I'm not paying $100 for a book.)

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 AM

I just finished the last of the wild magic series by Tamora Pierce. so now i have to figure out which books i'm reading next.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 AM

Right now I'm going between two books. One is The Chrestomanci Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones, which is a one volume edition of the first four of the seven books in the series. Her book Howl's Moving Castle was always a favorite of mine growing up and I'm surprised I didn't find out until a few years ago that she had written more. I was seriously missing out. So far they aren't quite as strong as HMC, but looking at the publication dates the ones I've read are some of her earlier works so that would make sense. They are still quite enjoyable though and I can't wait to finish them.

The other book I'm reading is The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler. I'm only five chapters in so far and I can't wait to get more into it. If you like circuses and mysteries this would be a good fit for you.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM

Howl's Moving Castle is a book?

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 08-12-2016, 02:33 AM

I just finished reading Harry Potter & the Cursed Child and it was FANTASTIC! I don't want to go into too much detail, but let's just say you will be on the edge of your seat and we should expect a movie soon. The ending is a little rushed, but I think it's because they were pushing time for the stage play and had to end it quick. I think we might see it expanded if it comes to the big screen!

Now I'm reading The Van Allen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz. Love her Blue Bloods series! I started rereading the series last summer and this is the first book that's new territory. SO good so far.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 08-12-2016, 02:34 AM

oooo ui can't wait to get it. i think my mother in law is getting it for us >.<

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 08-12-2016, 06:20 AM

Shadami: Yep! The movie and the book are vastly different from one another, but I love them both for their own reasons. The book is a quick, but very satisfying read. I'll often pick it up if I'm having a bad day and it cheers me right up.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 08-12-2016, 03:16 PM

I'll have to check it out sometime. i love studio ghibli. perhaps i can find out where the inspiration comes from for that particular movie?