`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 12-24-2011, 04:39 AM

I will be recording my adventures here. Sometimes I forget to write in my journals, so here's hoping I can stay on top of this one! :XD

`Kitami

Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Day One

Dear Diary,
I'm excited to say that today was my first time traveling on a train. I was fortunate enough to snag a ticket for the maiden run of Menewsha's new steam engine, the Spirit of Calesco. Its a lovely sight, really: a beautiful emerald green machine with gold trimming. The station itself is something like a work of art. It has high vaulted ceilings, beautiful stained-glass windows that show landscapes and legends of Menewsha, and white marble floors. The floors are so highly polished that you can see your reflection in them. Since I was going to be traveling First Class, I tried to look my best. I think I did, even with the cast covering most of my left arm.
I knew that today would be a good day to travel, because last night every star in the sky was extremely bright. My great grandmother always told me that was a good omen. Not only that, but the day was mild and pleasantly sunny.
The Menewsha Central Station is rather large, and its easy to get lost, which I did. I wound up in a secluded part of the station, far away from the bustle of the crowd. There was a child sitting in a corner here, all alone. Her knees were scuffed and she was crying. I went to her and dried her eyes with a tissue I had pulled from my bag. This act of kindness made her attach herself to me, and she informed me that she was missing her mother, and also that she would like some ice cream.
After I had found the way back to the main area of the station, using a map that I had picked up at the entrance, I bought her an ice cream cone at the cafe across the street from the station. Once she finished that, we set off to find her mom. As I searched through the throng of passengers, looking for a panicked woman, I glanced at my watch. They were going to be serving brunch on the train in ten minutes. I didn't have much time....
Halfway down the train, I spotted a woman talking to a security guard. I couldn't hear what she was saying but I had a feeling that the child was hers. I picked the little girl up and sprinted toward them. Five minutes left.
The lady turned to me and a smile split her face. The little girl wriggled out of my arms and ran the rest of the way to her mother. After the woman thanked me multiple times, but not before she was finished, I interrupted her to tell her that if we didn't hurry, we were going to miss brunch. It was important that we didn't, as I was starving. She laughed and apologized, then turned quickly and we both started walking to the next open compartment door, as the little girl skipped and frolicked around us, her cares and scraped knees completely forgotten.
After all the morning's excitement, I was perfectly glad to be finally settled in the plush seats in the new train, and ready to have my brunch.

`Kitami

Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 AM

Garland

Dear Diary,
Brunch was delicious. After we had eaten, I settled back in my seat to draw. However, the little girl (who, along with her mother, had become my traveling companion) was bored and she began using me as a tool to entertain herself. She did this by telling me riddles. Most were simple- What gets wetter the more it dries? The answer of course, is a towel. She clapped her hands when I solved it. But one she asked me wasn't so simple. "You have three stoves," she said, "a gas stove, a wood stove, and a coal stove, but only one match. Which should you light first?" I opened my mouth and closed it. I had no idea. A few minutes passed and she asked slyly if I wanted to know the answer. Annoyed, I nodded. "The match, silly!" she giggled. Her mother laughed. "Her grandfather taught her that," she said, smiling.
The little girl suddenly said "How much longer until we get to Garland, mother?"
"I don't know Katie," she replied.
I was excited to get to Garland, myself, and I said as much. I told the woman (who's name I later found out was Maya) that I was going to visit the grave of the Lost Lovers for good luck. Maya smiled slightly and tossed a set of small silver dice in her hand. She told me that it was her good luck charm. After I asked curiously what she needed good luck for, she told me she was going to Garland to be married. She needed luck, she said, because she was missing someone from her wedding party. Her sister, who was supposed to have performed a certain part of the ceremony had fallen ill, and was unable to come with her. It surprised me greatly when she asked if I would stand in for her sister. I asked her what I would have to do, and she fished a scarlet ribbon out of one of her bags. She told me that all I needed to do would be to tie the ribbon around the wrists of the groom and herself. That sounded simple enough, so I agreed.
Once we got to Garland, Maya picked up a sleeping Katie and we went to visit the Lover's graves. On either side of the tomb were large white poinsettia bushes. Seized by a sudden urge, I sat on the ground and sketched them quickly. At this point, Katie woke up and asked if she could have the drawing. I didn't think it was that good, so I tore the page out of the sketchbook and gave it to her. The three of us then made our wishes and placed some flowers at the front of the tomb.
At this point, we were running late, and we walked quickly to Maya's house a few blocks away. The bride to be changed into a simple powder blue gown and I helped Katie change into a dress of the same shade. Then we set out for the chapel. We met two older women at the shore, who were Maya's mother and the mother of the groom. The boat glided slowly across the water, as was customary. As we got to the opposite shore and saw the little crowd gathered outside the chapel, I realized I was slightly nervous but exhilarated that I was going to be involved. I looked at the ribbon coiled in my hands and smiled.
The ceremony went smoothly and at the proper time, I tied the ribbon in an elegant knot around the wrists of the bride and groom, and they were married. Maya invited me to the reception that was being held in the chapel's garden. I looked fondly at the white ribbons and sprigs of yellow flowers that stood out from the dark bark of the trees, around which they were tastefully wound. Sighing, I told Maya that I couldn't stay, or I'd miss my train.
I got back on the boat after promising Maya that I would write her a letter and maybe come visit someday. Already I was glad that I had decided to take the train trip, because I had made a new friend. I re-boarded the Spirit of Calesco more content and happy than I had been in a while.