MossyToadstool
Artist

Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 AM

I am curious to see if anyone here sculpts! I don't care if you're novice or professional, I would love to talk about sculpting! Tools, techniques, WIPs ANYTHING

If anyone wants to start sculpting I could help! I've worked with Stone clay (I no longer have access to a kiln though ) Air dry clay, Polymer clay.....mashed potatoes ^^;;;

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 PM

I've tossed my hand into sculpting a few times. I'm still trying to find a clay that I really like. My Uncle used to work for Rainbow Studios (they own THQ games and also did the animations for How the Grinch Stole Christmas), though now that he's back in Michigan he sculpts all the time. Whenever I have an art question that I don't know (mostly in sculpting or large builds) I shoot him a message. I think he recommended Monster Clay, or something similar.

Sculpting definitely falls into the category of art I want to get back into. I have sculpting tools and clay at home, though that hasn't pushed me enough. Granted, I have Super Sculpy at home. I don't like that clay; it's too soft and I don't like the inconsistency when baking... I had some air dry clay, don't remember the name of it at the moment, and you had to baby it but I loved working with it.

MossyToadstool
Artist

Old 04-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Oh thats awesome you have a relative like that! Monster Clay is a great clay, holds a stupid amount of detail X3 but if you want to keep it you have to make a mold of it (oil based=never dries)

You can mix super sculpey and sculpey firm to make it more stable- I do understand the frustration with it.
Air dry clay is the best XDD The kind I use doesn't have that marshmallow-y feel that more children friendly has. I also like using apoxie sculpt on it for any fine detailed areas.
my favorite to use is this kind:

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Clay work I plan on doing in the future will be used for casting, which may be why he further recommended.

O.O So that's the trick to that stuff. I see people put out amazing work with it and I'm just like 'how, how do you make that dragon when this stuff is so lumpy?!'.

I think I've used paperclay before. If not, I'll have to try it out just to try it! The stuff I used was hard as a rock and grey. I used to keep it in a hot bowl of water and use a sharp knife to cut it. Granted, keeping it water did cause me to lose a tiny bit, but it made it more pliable. And thinking back on it, I could have put the clay in a bag and then put that in the hot water. -.- So smart, way to go Duke.

MossyToadstool
Artist

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 PM

Yeah those are whats usually used :) You can sculpt with other clay to cast but they take more work to get them ready to (like paperclay needs priming)

That sounds like a type of earthen clay, did you need to put it in a kiln to bake?

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 AM

Nope, it air dried. I tend to not recall the name until I find the heavy block at the store. It's fairly easy to find if I recall. It was gray, though I think it came in brown too.