Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 AM

Alexis paused in front of the glass outside the bakery for a second to fix his hair. On a dry day, it could almost be straight. But since he never had 'dry' days, it always waved freely after a swim. Oh well, his mom once said that was the cutest point of his. Alexis burst threw the bakery door with a refreshing smile. "Ah good afternoon, my friends! I said I would be back," he exclaimed with an exaggerated hand gesture. There weren't too many people around at this hour, but he would have felt comfortable announcing himself in such a manner even if there were.

Waltzing up to the counter, he made a show like he was looking at the wares, but instead he was keeping his eye on Noel. "I shouldn't keep eating these unhealthy things..." As if he could get fat though. Somehow that had always been impossible for him. "It's quiet though. Hey Noel, did you miss me?" He raised his eyes, a mysterious smile flitting over his face. Naturally he thought he would be missed. But wouldn't it be nice to hear? His mood was so high today that he felt no need to be censure himself.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 AM

As he suspected, he felt better when the familiar face of Alexis arrived, and smiled as he went around the counter to slide his notebook away. "Yeah you were missed." Noel said with a grin, and stepped around the counter again to lean his back against it. "Y'know, I can always experiment with new recipes, low-fat and low-sugar. Might expand my customer base even, if not just for the picky eaters." He inclined his head at Alexis.

"Are you staying for a while? It's still pretty early, so we won't have many people drop in. I just got done meeting with a guy about a cake order but I was thinking I'd get started with that later..." He waved, turning to go around the counter and lean against it. He sighed, rubbing his eyes and blinking rapidly to take the itchy, tired feeling away from them.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 AM

"Hm, you're so good with experimenting. Low-sugar seems silly in a bakery, but I bet people would buy it," Alexis said. He didn't really mind things as they were, though he could consider himself one of the picky eaters. He just never showed it. He never took any food for granted, especially if Noel baked it. After being denied treats half of his life, how could anyone take them for granted?

He glanced at his watch just to make sure of the time. "No no...I'm done for the day. Tuesdays are good. I have only two classes. What about you? Seems like you have the time to relax now." He smiled over at Noel and patted his arm. Thought it was still early in the day, it already looked like Noel's had been long. He said he would call Jeannie's parent's didn't he? "Should we sit down? Want to tell me about the cake or do you have something else that's making you tired?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM

Noel closed his eyes at the brief touch. Reassuring. Something, at least, to ease his mind and conscious. Nodding, he reached under the counter for a box of items he normally kept for himself to snack on through the day, and included was a couple of items that Alexis tended to lean toward. "Sure, we can sit. I ought to get off my feet before I collapse anyway..."

"I told you to go take a nap, but noooo." Mark smirked, and looked away at the glare Noel gave him as he pointed Alexis to the small sitting area and set the box on the low table in the middle. Normally he didn't flop in chairs, but made an exception this time, sliding down in a slight sprawl. "I'm glad you're around, Alex... It's easy to talk to you, y'know? 'Specially about this." He pressed the heels of his palms into his eyes until little bursts of light assaulted him. "Sorry if I'm piling anything on you that you don't need, though." He'd feel awful if he were filling Alexis's head with unnecessary worry, especially when he had other things to focus on throughout the week. Especially his swimming.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Following Noel to the chairs, Alexis just smiled. "You know I love to hear. I'm probably a voyeur or something. Where would I go for my fix of meddling in other people's lives if not to you?" he offered a cheeky grin. He didn't need to psycho-analyze himself to know he thrived on hearing about others and helping them. The thought of being cut off from others for the rest of his life scared him more than anything else. He'd do terrible in jail.

He sat down with more grace than Noel but he was glad to sit. He still felt a low burn in his muscles and he flexed his arms a bit to ease the feeling. Feeling another wave of bravery, he reached out and pulled on one of Noel's wrists. "You shouldn't do that. You'll hurt your eyes if you keep it up. Now tell me what's got you twisted up. It's important right?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 AM

Noel let his arm be moved, and he blinked away the spots in his vision before focusing on Alexis and smiling a little. He wasn't quite sure why it felt nice to be cared about that way. Somehow, it simply did. He traded assaulting his eyes to rubbing his nose. "Ah, well... Yeah. It's important... I called Jeanie's mom and she hasn't even seen her... Hasn't heard from her either. And that's weird, y'know? I mean, come on, I still care about Jeanie, she's such a sweet girl, a good friend... I knew we should have signed the divorce papers years ago, damn it... Maybe she'd not have had to go... I don't even know if she's okay..." He grimaced and stared at the rug beneath them.

"Sorry... I called the police... They said they'd file a report and look in but to keep... make sure I'm available for questioning if necessary... I should have expected that, y'know, Alex? I mean, the spouse is always the prime suspect if there's no one else there to turn blame on... It still... hit me. Hard. Like... Like a brick." He covered his eyes more gently this time, thankful for the break in the darkness.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Noel still cared for that woman so much. Although she was gone. Alexis clenched his teeth tightly, so tight he could feel the muscles in his face straining. No no, this was why he liked Noel. He could care for someone he didn't love, but it still hurt to hear that care aimed so strongly in someone else's direction. Alexis might have done something unreasonable, but then his mind caught up with what Noel was saying. Alexis' mouth opened in a tiny 'oh' of surprise. Why would anyone suspect Noel of doing anything wrong? He was such a sweet soul, but Alexis couldn't exactly tell the police so because they'd ask why. That hurt look on the other man's face drove him crazy.

The desire to kiss Noel hit him hard. Alexis wanted to kiss that frown away and he even felt himself lean forward. When he realized it, he dropped both his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his interlaced fingers, like that was the action he originally intended. "I'm so sorry. I wish me telling you she's happy where she is would make you feel better. But that's not something I should know. I believe you didn't do anything wrong. No matter what anyone else says, I'd never believe that."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Noel brought his hands down and studied Alexis when he heard a light thump. The man had his elbows on the low table, and when the sight stopped being so bright, he sighed. "I'm glad you'd believe me no matter what, but... I want everyone to believe that! I mean... I didn't hurt her! I'd never hurt anyone... Just the thought makes me feel..." He pulled a sour face and rubbed the warm feeling away from his eyes. "I knew it was a bad idea to marry her, it was just... I'm such a fucking fool, damn idiot for even thinking I actually loved her the way you're supposed to love someone you're gonna marry, y'know?"

He dropped his hands and leaned forward, feeling soured, like cannoli cream that had been left out in a hot kitchen for too long. Like he should be thrown away. "Dunno what to do... if they think I did it... took her... hurt her... Fucking killed her..." The words left a bad taste in his mouth, even if he said them quietly.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 AM

Emotions warred inside of Alexis. On one hand, he wanted to comfort Noel, but the other side won out. "But you didn't kill her. You don't even know if she's dead. You really can't beat yourself up over this. I mean, look at you!" He jabbed a finger at Noel, acussatory in a motherly way. He wouldn't have anyone under his care unwell. As strong as his desire to comfort was his to chastise. "You can't keep skipping sleep. You'll just pass out and all your friends will miss you. I would miss you if you got yourself in trouble like that." He shook his head before pulling back and placing his hands back in his lap. His easy smile returned and he patted Noel's hand. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried for you. I hate to see you like this."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 AM

Noel froze under Alexis's pointed finger, feeling very much like a child after he got in trouble. He bit his lip, sighing a long breath out and leaning back to stare at the ceiling. "Aaah... You're right, I know... I know... It was just... hard to sleep... It'll be harder tonight, but I tell you what---I have some muscle relaxers from an incident about a year ago, broke my lg and couldn't sleep. I'll take one tonight so I'll be able to, if that's what you'd prefer." He sat up. "And no coffee, I guess... That'll keep me up too..." He grimaced, smoothing his finger over his eyebrows to relieve the slight ache that had built up behind his eyes. "I just dunno how I'll handle being alone while I know she's... somewhere... But I won't be like this anymore. I'll keep... focused. Try to stay optimistic." At that, he offered a pale excuse for a smile, something that wavered after just a moment. "That way I won't take up all the conversation with 'woe is me'."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 AM

Smiling a bit less bright than usual, he nodded his head. "That sounds like a good plan. Yes, I would prefer you got some sleep. Pretty sure you will too," he said with a small chuckle. He wanted so much to keep the mood sunshiny, but the conversation seemed determined to be otherwise. Even Alexis' skills were unprepared for this because as much as Noel was feeling, Alexis also felt. He clung to the worried filled tone and the plastered on optimism like they were his own emotions. A baffled look passed over Alexis' face. "But you're not alone...or you don't have to be. I'm sure somewhere...there's someone who'd love to love you." He bit down on his lip and shifted away. Now was too early. He'd be callous to go confessing when Noel was hurting. He was already sharing in the feelings so deeply though. He didn't want to walk away.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 AM

Noel bit his tongue and actually managed a smile. Alexis could pull such strange, poetic things together. Usually they were uplifting, but now... they felt strange. As if he were sure the person Alexis was referring to was extremely close. He wanted someone to help him stay sane, but felt it was too early. Far, far too early. He wanted to at least know what had happened to Jeanie. And he didn't exactly want to confirm himself to everyone. Mark knew. Will had asked once before. He had always felt the slightest inkling of attraction to Alexis but didn't want to scare such a dedicated friend away. "That's... really sweet, Alex." Noel said at last. "Thanks for that... Look... Look, I'll be able to handle it. I'll sleep tonight, and... figure out something to do to keep occupied. I mean, this place pretty much gives me a lot of time---"

"Hey, Noel?" Mark suddenly called, and Noel blinked and looked up. "We're getting low on the Grasshopper cupcakes."

"Sure, I'll get to work on some..." Noel turned to Alexis. "Wanna come back with me while I work? Will's no fun to talk to since he only goes on about some soccer team."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 AM

The fact that it took Noel so long to answer had Alexis biting down on his lip harder. Did Noel suspect how he felt? Alexis tried to hide it all this time and he wanted to hide it a bit longer. He understood he said something suspicious though. Why could he never stop himself from talking like that? "...I'm sure you'll find a distraction. The sleep will help, ah...yes." He wondered though...was Noel saying it was okay to be honest soon? He could handle it. The fear didn't last long though. Alexis immediately brightened when Noel offered to let him in the back. "Ah really? I'd love to. Are you sure I won't be in the way? Flour makes me sneeze," he added with a chuckle.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 AM

Smiling, Noel stood and led Alexis into the back, waving to Will as he dried a cupcake tin. "Hey, the notebook in front has an order with a photo, I want you to go take a look at the dress and do some concept sketches on incorporating the design into a two-tier round-pan cake."

Will nodded and smiled toward Alexis. "Bossy, isn't he?" He grinned Noel's way as he passed. "But that's a boss for you. Always bossy." Laughing, he went into the front as Noel dug out several extra cupcake tins---they were oversized, so they could have been classified as personal cakes, and were very dense. The Grasshoppers in particular were made of a chocolate so dark it was nearly black, but the bitterness was offset by the sweet mint icing. Noel started on the batter first. "Don't worry about the flour, I don't make a big mess." He promised Alexis, nodding to one of the chairs he usually had set up. When the mixer was started, he went to preheat the ovens along the back wall. "Making a mess means I have to clean up. And I hate cleaning up." He grimaced, watching the bowl stir the dark mixture together.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Nearly skipping, Alexis followed Noel into the back. He felt special today and he wouldn't keep that off of his face. He sat in the chair and watched everything Noel did, never losing his smile. "Doesn't baking always make a mess though? I swear every kitchen I've seen..." he trailed off as he glanced around the area with a critical eye. Certainly cleaner than if Alexis were the one baking. He never particularly tried such pursuits growing up, but back when he was with his mom, they used to do the domestic sprinkle and rice krispie thing when they could. He did miss those times. "It smells even better back here than it does out front. Me, I was always better at picking things up than making messes. Really, I'm a mom in a twenty-two year old's body."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Noel laughed, stopping the mixer and raising it. "I wouldn't call you a mom. More... naturally clean. I could use someone that doesn't leave a huge mess!" He raised his voice so Will could hear and earned a mumbling "Yea, yea..." in response. Shaking his head, Noel shrugged at Alexis as he retrieved a bag of mint chips and cut it open, dumping it into the mix and gently folding it into the batter. "But see, I like things clean. Kind of... mild obsessive compulsive when it comes to my kitchen." Bringing the cupcake tins up and lining them on the table, he nodded to the cupboard behind Alexis. "Think you can get me the unopened pack of green sleeves on the bottom shelf?" He ducked down to taste the batter, a bad habit of his because it always prompted him to wash his hands afterward. But there was a distinct mint flavoring to the dense chocolate. If only Alexis liked these, specifically, but he seemed to have a specific palate.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 AM

Noel was probably the only person who wouldn't call Alexis a mom. He had the mother hen nature down to an art and he always trailed after his friends, cleaning up behind them. It wasn't even that he liked a clean space, but that he felt someone had to keep order and he certainly preferred if it was him. "Right-o. Green sleeves coming right up!" He poked his head into the cupboard and pulled out the bag before passing it to Noel. He chuckled suddenly. Knowing the sound must have been out of place, he explained it immediately. "Ah....it's just that I like to help. Isn't it strange to let me hang around back here like this? Most people wouldn't, although we talk so much."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 AM

Noel grinned, taking the bag and tugging the top open. "Thanks much. Hm, strange?" He raised a brow in curiosity. "As long as you're clean and you're not an animal, and you wash your hands before touching anything that'll go to a customer, you're perfectly fine with being here." He dotted each tin with the paper and lifted an ice cream scoop from a hook nearby. "Besides, I like to talk if I have the right person to talk to, y'know? And you're one of the best I know for interesting conversation." Since Mark liked less than half the things Noel did and Will seemed obsessed with soccer, Alexis was a huge breath of fresh air, as if someone opened a window in a stale room. He started sectioning out the batter and cast a glance toward Alexis. "Just a question, here, but... is there anything baked that you especially love? Like, if you had to choose, you'd only eat that particular thing?" He could use something new to fill the cases, and something other than predictable or strictly French and Italian-based.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Alexis stepped back out of the way, but he watched Noel with a dreamy look in his eyes. "Ah well, I do try to be good for conversation. Talking with you makes me really happy," he said with a brilliant smile although he turned away to make it less obvious. If he kept talking like this, everyone in a ten mile radius of the town would know he had a crush on Noel. At the man's question, Alexis covered his mouth to stifle a sudden laugh. "Oh no I don't have anything like a favorite baked food! Least favorites maybe..." He shook his head. Few people shared his tastes, especially those who frequented bakeries. If you could fill a cake with curry, he'd love it more. He never minded eating here because they were made so well. "But if perhaps....my mom made rice krispies and I poured Hot Tamales in them. The taste was so intense only I could eat them."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM

Noel filled the last few cups and slid the tins into the ovens, pressing an alarm and going back to where he'd been standing. Normally he would have washed the mixing bowl immediately, but his weakness for cake batter of just about any kind had him licking the stuff from his fingers. Then he paused, staring at Alexis. "... That... sounds really great, actually! Oh, I bet it'd be so spicy..." He bounded to the sink, rinsing his hands and grabbing another strategically placed notebook---the things were everywhere, just like the books full of baking recipes he never used anymore. "I could make some special ones for you, the ones that would probably be too spicy for the general public, and dial down the spice for my regulars' kids... Hell, I mean, all kids like these rice krispies bars. Oooh, and that gives me another idea!"

He scribbled down his concept---cakes with spice, coming from mediums most would imagine were only used in savory cooking. "Alexis, I so needed this distraction, thank you so much..." He sighed, flipping the cover over. "I've been stressing so badly these past few days... Y'know, having you around just kind of... makes it easier." He shrugged and took the oversized mixing bowl to the sink to clean it. "It's just... a relief. And you're such a great guy, a great friend, someone I can just... kind of... pour out everything and it feels like it'll be okay." He laughed to himself, shaking his head. Was he lying it on a bit thick? But it was how he felt. Mark and Will certainly weren't in the same ballpark.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 AM

Alexis' smile nearly lifted right off his face. He didn't expect his childhood tastes to catch anyone's eye. He couldn't help but be happy though, especially when Noel suggested a spicy batch just for him. He felt special. He felt brave and beyond hopeful. He tended not to worry that he'd be chased away Noel if he did confess, but the validation never hurt. "That sounds amazing. I didn't think it was anything special. I always had a think for spicy and sour candies. I only developed something resembling a sweet tooth later in life," he admitted.

Slinking closer, he looked around Noel to see what he was writing. "Really? I'm just glad to help. I'm so glad someone appreciates my listening skills, although I wouldn't mind if no one did. I just..." Alexis was positively glowing by that point. "Thank you for saying that."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 AM

Noel smiled and shrugged. "Well it's such a good idea. And I've kind of been wanting to expand my store to sell candy too, since I've taken a few one-on-one classes about a year ago." He shrugged. "I mean, even if I eat these sweet things like it's my last day on Earth I kind of love sour and spice too. Really, doesn't just about everyone? I bet I'd be able to get more people coming in... especially a ton of kids." He nodded slowly at the idea. More choices meant more customers, after all, and who didn't need that when one was running their own little store?

He turned to Alexis and grinned. "I'm just glad someone's around that keeps me sane. Especially now... I figure I'll just have Mark in charge tomorrow, take a day to myself..." He glanced up at the clock. Almost an hour until the evening rush was due.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 AM

The pleased looked never quite left Alexis' face. "You already have such good variety. I come so often, but I don't get bored. Being unique with a few choices would be nice though. Especially if it helps business!" He exclaimed. Tapping the toe of his shoe in an energy melody, he allowed himself one little frown before Noel turned around. Then he was all smiles again.

"I'm sure you can use a day to yourself. We all need that don't we, especially at times like this?" Though Alexis would miss clinging to Noel at every second he could. He could use time to himself though. He'd be too much of a lovesick puppy if he didn't. He'd always support what was best for Noel. Glancing up at the clock as well, he tilted his head as he made connections in his mind. "Is it already that late? I'm about to become in the way aren't I?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 AM

Noel smiled. He was glad to know he had such variety, but could stand trying some new things. He knew how to make a semi-sweet, very soft caramel that would satisfy those with less of a sweet tooth, much like Alexis, or sour amber, which he learned from his mother---small orbs of hard candy with a hit of sour extract that looked just like amber. They could be sold similarly to the way jawbreakers were, and in little cloth bags. He would have to find someone to supply those, however.

Nodding slowly, Noel sighed. He was looking forward to spending a full day for himself, hopefully hearing something positive from the authorities, but he dreaded holing himself up in his home. "Well... Y'know, you know the shop's phone number, so... if you're bored at any time you can call Mark and ask where I live if you'd like to drop by..." Company to take the bite out of the loneliness did sound appealing. The oven timer behind him beeped and he turned to shut them off, grabbing an oven mitt and pulling the finished cupcakes out to cool. "Nooo, you won't be in the way!" Noel gestured flamboyantly as he spoke, catching himself and clasping his hands in front of him. "Just, eh, stay out of the way of the door and you'll be just fine!" He waved cooler air over the pans, then took them to the cooler so they would be able to take the frosting he was about to start.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 AM

Alexis shimmied back to the chair and sat out of the way. If Noel said he wasn't in the way, then he wouldn't resist. He wanted to be here too much for that. It amazed him every time he heard how much he was wanted. His heart warmed and his toes curled just like the young lovers in movies. He could be a star role with how perfect everything had progressed with Noel. "You know I'll take you up on such offers if you say it. You better not be offering frivolously. I'd be happy to drop by!" he exclaimed with happiness nearly bubbling right out of him.

"So for now I'll just sit here and grin and talk when you want me too and tomorrow I can come and bother you some more!" The plan couldn't be more perfect. They'd have some real alone time and maybe then...maybe he could say something.