The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM

So a while back I made a lot of progress thanks to some wonderful advice from the users during a pixel arting contest. I figured I'd try posting my art for feedback once again, or just a place to put it all since otherwise I will stuff it in a folder somewhere. My goal is to eventually get good enough to pixel mene items for the user store someday. (But I need to learn basic texturing first)

Feel free to critique as brutally honest as you need to be, but know that complicated art terms will completely confuse me.
If you would like my feedback on your art just drop a link and ask. I don't mind, but I can be a bit blunt. On top of that I know very little about art besides throwing pixels around until it looks good.

And yes I know my pixel art is really small... I really don't know why I make it so small.

My latest thingie was a remake of a really old doll that's head was way too big for it's body. I was attempting the texture of jeans and I don't know why I made the shirt that way.

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS
Send a message via MSN to hilarbees

Old 04-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Oh yay! Pixel art! I adore pixel art! :) When I started, I literally worked as small as I could go. - oh man! They started out even so much smaller than this! I actually got into pixel art from editing bases made from sprites from the SNES Sailor Moon game called Another Story:

(Source: The ShyGuy Kingdom)

I would edit little sprites of my friends and myself and of characters we would role play. That started back in middle school and high school. Eventually, it evolved into my editing Pokemon sprites for the same purposes. Eventually I started making my own pixels, and that started very small. Like... stick people pixels small haha. So I think with learning pixel art it is important to start small.

I really like your work here! Super cute! >u< My first suggestion would be about playing with your outline (if you start with one). Try to make the outline disappear into the shading of the picture. It does some serious wonders and allows you to add more details you thought you didn't have space for!

Last edited by hilarbees; 04-24-2016 at 12:36 AM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-21-2016, 03:49 PM

I started the same way. I am slowly figuring our avi anatomy one size increase at a time owo

I got into pixel art from recoloring items on gaia for fun. Then I thought "this doesn't look so hard"...... oh how wrong I was.

Your picture didn't seem to want to load.

Make the outline disappear? I haven't really figured out how to do that. Do you have tutorials or anything like that or perhaps an example or two? I often find myself copying menewsha pixel art into MS Paint just to see how it was pixeled but I'm not sure what to look for in making the outline disappear.

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS

Old 04-24-2016, 12:38 AM

I don't have any tutorials, but let me try to see what I can come up with to explain what I mean in a better way. It might take me a day or two...

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-24-2016, 02:16 AM

When I look at mene's bases, I can typically see a bit of an outline. No rush on the tutorial, but I would definitely love to see one.

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS

Old 04-24-2016, 03:45 PM

Okay okay! Hopefully this will actually illustrate what I mean better haha.

At this, normal distance, it's hard to see a difference, but there really is a huge one! The "outlines" that you see are completely different. Zooming in, you will better see what I mean.

I know it's a bit dramatic to use a bold black outline to begin with, but I did it so that the differences could be more easily seen. Here, you can easily see how the "outline" in Dress B so closely matches the kind of outline the Mene base has, whereas in Dress A it's just totally out of place. The palette used for this dress is that Nature one you can see in the first pic, I just used black instead of the darkest color on the palette for the outline. However, in Dress B, the darkest color in the palette is so sparingly used anywhere on the pic, including in the outline. Given how there is such little space to work with in pixel art to begin with, sort of fading your main outline away like that gives you that much more space to add details. :) This is something I wish I had learned much, much earlier in my pixeling years haha :P I hope that helped explain things a little better?? I'm sorry, I'm bad at this...

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Ooh... I see what you mean... so for the border I should be using more of the 2nd darkest shade for borders instead of the darkest shade everywhere?

I had thought it had to have a border of sorts but I think I get it now, that the border can be the lighter colors when need be.

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS

Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 PM

Yup yup! Precisely! And that way you can get in a lot more details! :)

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-25-2016, 05:44 PM

Is there a shade point that I don't want to pass on the edge, or are there times when the lightest color is on the edge?

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS

Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM

That is an excellent question...? I don't know who's in charge of that stuff these days, but I always used to turn to neller, Libra and xuvrette (you could ping them here if you'd like) for help with my pixel stuff. Then again, I did it for such a short time and have been gone so long, I wouldn't be sure...

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 PM

I may have to just play with the idea a little. It is definitely a very interesting concept for sure. I saw on your example it got very close to the border, but often times some things are only 2-3 thick or even 1 thick. The biggest obstacle for me pixeling is not adding a border to everything. Usually when I start I do so with a black border.

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 04-26-2016 at 04:25 PM..

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 04-27-2016, 03:13 PM

There are 2 Poetet's pixel thread? O__O

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-27-2016, 03:25 PM

One is just for general things (and learning more if I can), the other is for working on things that will help me to eventually finish those pants o.o
Though both are likely to work toward that cause