View Poll Results: Do you embroider?
Yes! ^_^ 9 69.23%
No. V_V 4 30.77%
I don't even know what that is... >_> 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM

I'm hoping that my boss decides to give us tomorrow off so I can take part in my sewing projects... Only downside is tomorrow would be a big date for one of our projects (as in the day we put it out for everyone to see), but I'm wondering if (given he will give us the ok to take tomorrow off) he will be ok with waiting until we release it until Monday. I see it as doable as I don't see a weekend, a holiday weekend at that, making a big difference with this.

So where did you guys all start embroidery? Did you learn online or elsewhere and where do you like to get your materials? Oh and if you had a piece of advice or recommendations for people wanting to get into it, what would it be?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 PM

@ Melody: I just got to the town past the swamp. That was pretty annoying to go through. >.<

So I cut and ironed my fabric and then I was looking up stuff about what to do with the edges to keep them from fraying. I think using Seam Sealant seems like the easiest option so I'll probably order some of that. Most people sew around the edges with a sewing machine but I don't have one so...

I'm curious Cora: what do you do with the edges of your embroidery?

Also, as I am planning on putting my embroidery projects up on the wall, this is a super great resource for doing the necessary finishing to make sure that it lasts: Displaying embroidery in a hoop | from Hell to Breakfast

I totally can't wait to give this stitch a try:

@ Duke: There's no way I'm getting tomorrow off unfortunately. My fiance is off though and I'm super jealous. >.<

I'm just getting into embroidery myself. I bought a book and some materials at an independent store nearby. Ideally I'd love to go to Joanne Fabrics to shop but we don't have one around here. V_V

I've done cross stitch in the past, which is fun, but I'm looking forward to the more creative aspect of embroidery. ^_^

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM

I usually use the seam sealant at first, but then I embroider my edges. Sometimes even adding some crocheted part there as well.

Sometimes on larger projects I do sew my edges though.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM

Cool, +1 for the sealant then! I'm definitely gonna order some of that stuff.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Its definitely handy for smaller projects like your doing ^,^

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Do you know how much your sealant usually runs? I'm looking at ordering it online and wanna make sure it isn't super overpriced.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM

I haven't bought any in like....forever, but I think its around $5.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Alright, thanks! There's a 2 pack for about $10 so that seems good.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM

That seems reasonable ^.^

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM

How sad that I hadn't even thought of the edges of my project. xD I had the idea for the main picture and jumped from there. I should work on this whole "planning" thing. >.> oooooh well. Maybe next time.

Zig- xD I'm at the pokemon league, but delaying the inevitable. So I'm going through the pokedex, seeing which pokemon I've missed and in what area they're located and going back to find them.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 AM

LOL! I'm not always the best at planning stuff either. V_V

I can't wait to fight the elite four. I'm hoping I get the legendary soon? It seems overdue...

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM

erm...I can't remember when the legendary comes about, but I would guess it's soon. You'll know it when it happens though, it's kinda WOAH obvious. :3 I saved right beforehand, so that I could do both options, just because that's what I do...and I was disappointed in the outcome. lol

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-19-2014, 01:25 AM

Well last night I finally managed to stitch around the outside of my embroidery square to keep it from fraying. I can't wait for that edge sealer to get here, stitching the edges was a real pain. V_V

I just got the Master Ball so it should be coming up really soon.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 AM

Any chance I can get you to show me how you stitched it? lol

I can't remember if I used the masterball on it or not. I should probably charge my DS and get to challenging those 4 (5)

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 AM

Sure, I'll take a pic. It looks pretty awful though. >.>

I'll probably save the Master Ball for another Legendary. I can't wait to get my sparkly deer!

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 AM

You're playing X? Me too! I prefer the deer to the...whatever Y had. lol

I need to come up with something for my edging on the Elsa piece. I did finish the main part of the cameo. If I had my camera I would take a picture, but I left it at the last girl scout meeting. haha

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 AM

Y had some creepy bird. I LOVE deer IRL so I was super excited when I first saw that legendary.

This is what I was trying to do:

Which was what was suggested for the edge according to this page: Beginner’s Embroidery Tip: Neatening the Edge – Needle’nThread.com

I started out okay but grossly underestimated the amount of thread I would need to go around the edge and then when I had to tie it off and start again I ended up going in the wrong direction so the "dashes" look sooo off. I'm just going to leave it like that to start working on it and then I'll cut off the ugly threads and use the edge sealer once it gets here.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM

I see where it changed, but I like it's general look. :3

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM

I don't think I'll be mounting this one. This will just be to practice all of the stitches. Then I'll actually work on making something to hang.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-23-2014, 03:28 PM

Hi guys! Embroidery is something I've recently been (re)interested in learning. Every so often I have a compulsion to become good at it but get intimidated not knowing where to start and forget about it for months or years. I've done very minor detail additions to felt/crochet projects using embroidery, but nothing beyond that. I need to pick myself up a hoop again so I can try something more serious. I might do that today when I'm out and about. :)

Have you guys seen Michele Carragher's work? She does a lot of costuming for tv and film (GoT, Disney). She's really fantastic. Lots of lovely inspiration & a couple tutorials on her website.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Oh wow, those designs are O. o. I'm definitely going to start out on something easier. ^^; I started doing the stitches but I messed up on the Herringbone one so I'll have to redo that. I'll work on a few of the others and then get started on something simple.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM

I've been dabbling with felt and some basic newbie embroidery stitches. It's fun! A nice, slightly less hand-crampy diversion from my crochet projects.

Dunno what to make, though. :) Maybe a big huge sampler?

edit: You can see where I got sloppy with the split stitch on the swirly part of the stem thing - the thread was super twisty. Partly due to it being kind of an odd not-really-embroidery-thread thread, but also I think I cut it too long. By the end it just wouldn't lay flat.

Last edited by BellyButton; 06-30-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 AM

Oh Belly! That's lovely! I can see it hung up in a childs room looking simply elegant. (:

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 AM

That's super cute Belly! I haven't learned how to do those knots yet... I really need to get back to my trial piece.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 AM

I've been getting into embroidery lately too! I've been collecting designs and tutorials on a pinterest board for reference and I finally got around to making a sampler last year. Now I'm slooowly working on a new piece which I'm designing as I go, using a quote from one of my favorite Bjork songs. :3