shatteredarchivist
Days without incident: 0

Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 AM

"Probably had no choice. Not many people are even willing to come out into the middle of 'the expanse' for the amount of time it would take to collect and process a dig. Plus, a caravan coming out into the middle of nowhere would have drawn a lot more attention than a single, possibly insane, tengu wandering around his homelands on Society demands. Maybe all of this was for nothing. Maybe it's all a trick and could be fatal to the entire crew. Maybe what was here was found long, long ago and was already taken by former residents. The Society doesn't know. I don't know. No one does. That's why I'm here. At least, that's what I've been told. And, before you ask, I am more than capable of protecting my site."

Tsillu's formerly upbeat expression turned sorrowful. "But I won't lie. If your employer knew I specifically would be here, there's no reason she wouldn't know about this, and thus no reason to hide it. The Society has lost a few too many good men, women, and various others in the recent wars in the east. Resources are scarce. Too many issues require the Society's attention and too few are answering our call for membership. Things are changing. Our leadership is..." Tsillu shook his head, dropping his gaze to the kettle. "As secretive as ever, but..." Tsillu was unsure how much his next sentence would mean to Grarhi. "They've been seen outside Ansalok. Old powers are getting... restless. But alas, what can we do about that? Nothing." He answered his question without waiting for a response. "Even if you happened to actually be a leader, out on a job for a fancy lady, what can any one group do against old powers? Everyone has superiors, even those you wouldn't think do."

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 AM

((I apologize for being such a slowkey-pokey with replies, especially since they're not particularly long or plot shattering or anything! I'll try to get on top of them. ))

She nodded at the first part of Tsillu's response- yes, that all made sense. Surprising that such a little fellow was so confident in his abilities to protect the site on his own, perhaps, but he did seem an all around capable sort. Plus, there was that fine belt of his.

As he continued, however, her nodding gave way to a troubled expression. A tiny, foolish part of her was still hoping that all of this was grandiose extrapolation, and when she got these papers to the diplomat or whoever it was Tsillu was taking her to, said diplomat would glance at them and say something to the effect of 'Oh, that old thing?' produce it from some lab, and willingly sell it for all the danars on offer. Perhaps that sort of money would be tempted to a floundering organization. What a lovely misunderstanding that would turn out to be. But it was never that simple, was it?

Grarhi folded her arms behind her back and began to pace back and forth, taking five steps one way, then making a sharp turn to take five in the other direction, gaze downward. A habit she was teased about by friends who knew her well enough to recognize it as a quirk, but it helped her focus in or keep her head. And when people didn't know her well enough to know it was something of a habit, well, then she just looked either serious and contemplative, or just plain strange. Glancing looked at Tsillu she said, "Given all that you have said, I would normally follow up with The Society as a courtesy to my employer and be on my way. But... I am afraid I have something of a personal stake in the matter." She stopped her pacing to look directly at Tsillu, she said, "I suppose I'll need to see this through, come restless old powers or secretive superiors or your 'tedious' Society elves. Tell me, what's special about The Society's leadership venturing from Ansalok?"

shatteredarchivist

Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 PM

((No problems man, I mean it's slow because Tsillu's really suspicious and stuff. Good reasons I mean))

"Personal stake?" Tsillu cocked his head, long beak following Grarhi as she moved. He narrowed his eyes slightly. He himself was unsure if it was a reflex of suspicion or sympathy. Perhaps both. He continued slowly, for once picking his words exceedingly carefully. "What kind of... personal stake? Forgive me. I seem to have forgotten to ask who you are and what you are doing here. You know all about me. Return the favor." As Tsillu stood and laid a hand on his hip, claws precariously close to the hilt of his belt, he made it clear he was not asking for a favor.

Iltu

Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 AM

((And when you combine a suspicious tengu with a stubborn and would-rather-be taciturn orc... But ah well, I like exposition and characters feeling one another out!))

There were so many feasible lies. Money, a title, a boon from the lady she served. Seeing Tsillu's claws so near his belt made her all the more tempted to spit out any of those reasons. "Really?" she asked, glancing from his hand back to his eyes. Her voice was neither angry nor incredulous, but calm, something like a tone that might be used with someone who had greatly exaggerated some story or other. She did not bother to reach for her weapon. Presumably, this was caution on his part, not an attempt to egg on a confrontation. One did not offer a choice of tea to one they intended to turn on so suddenly. Usually.

And despite his none-too-subtle threat, he was earnest. He was protecting the things he cared for, just as she was trying to.

"Yes," she continued without waiting for him to respond. "You deserve that. Three of my friends are guests of the lady I am representing. Guests who are," she spoke slowly, delicately, somewhat surprised at her own willingness to be forthright, "not allowed to leave the grounds of her estate, and are kept under guard. My warg, the bard I mentioned, and my... khaladinthul. I do not know a for what she is to me in the common tongue. Heart-sister. Old-hearts. Something like that." She resisted the urge to being her pacing again, all too aware of Tsillu's ready stance. She almost stopped there, to let him make of it what he would, but she went on, "In this world, there is no one and nothing dearer to me than they are. It would... pain me if that woman found reason to hurt them."

Steeling herself again after that little display of vulnerability, she said, "But, for whatever it is worth to you, you have my word that when I say I will see this through, I do not mean for it to be a violent or dishonest end. If forces as large as the ones you claim are at play, I hope to make the lady see reason, not to work against you and yours for an outcome that is sounding increasingly futile."

shatteredarchivist

Old 09-09-2015, 01:48 AM

Tsillu shifted back, relaxing his shoulders. He rested his hands on his hips, gracefully plopping back down on the pillow by the brazier. "You're fortunate that I have a soft spot for stories like this. By regulation, I have to keep telling you my hands are tied, but there are... certain... ehh loopholes that one can slip through, depending on the situation." Tsillu wrapped the handle of the pot on the brazier with a bit of loose cloth, pouring the water it contained into the teapot between his knees. "I know very little about this artifact. No one does. That's why it's such a mystery. It could be absolutely nothing. Probably not." He scratched the feathers that protruded where his fleshy skin turned to keratinous beak. "Especially if someone who has that kind of money wants it so desperately." Tsillu paused.

"She knew all about me, a First-class Trailblazer. My information should have been wearing thin at this point, thanks to the Society's actions. Speaking of which, it is strange that the Society leaders aren't at home is that they are all... how shall I put it? Old? Fragile? Yet they are some of the greatest minds on the planet and look down on our kind. Especially our kinds." He gestured briefly between himself and Grarhi with a serious stare that implied far more than he was willing to admit about their races. "That's why it's odd. That's why it's a little terrifying. But no, I should be almost off the standard grid, especially when it comes to my recent activity. If she knows so much about me, why wouldn't she know about the artifact? You said you had documents regarding the artifact. Have you read any of them?"

Iltu

Old 09-11-2015, 04:22 AM

Muscles she hadn't even realized she had been tensing unwound as Tsillu returned to a seated position. "Thank you," she said. For believing her so quickly, for not pulling out a weapon, for the mention of a potential loophole - she wasn't sure. Even with that wiggle room, though, what he described did not make it sound like loopholes were a particularly viable option in this instance. Still, it was nice to have someone who seemed to be as close to on her side in this as she was likely to get. As he motioned between them as he spoke of the disdain the Society leaders for 'their kinds,' she gave a knowing nod. Nice to have someone who understood that as well.

"I haven't," she said, not wasting time before she strode over to her supplies to produce another vellum folder. "I listened to what she told me and looked at what she asked me to look at before I left. All I know is that it's probably a stone cartouche or tablet, but maybe a set of coins, or an urn or an assortment of other items. It seemed like the root of it is the specific scene depicted on whatever it is." The drawings she'd been shown of what it was supposed to look like were intricate and dynamic, and would have been beautiful, perhaps, under other circumstances. Given that she'd looked at it after Lady Eletheyin had made it clear in that subtle, cloyingly sweet way of hers exactly what was at stake, Grarhi had found it difficult to muster anything but revulsion for the it.

She ran her fingertips over the heavy, rough surface of the folder and flicked it open with her thumb, glancing down at the familiar drawings within. People of multiple races found in the expanse danced flowing garments, a mob of revelers, with no distinct pairs among them. A stylized moon and sun hung side by side, high over the rest of the scene. A stone arch swept from the bottom of the image up to just beneath the moon and sun, covered in vines and birds and carved animals of all sorts. Hundreds of stars decorated the sky, beetles and other insects swooping between them to fill the empty spaces. As the trail of stars descended, it became waves of sand that blew in the same direction as hair and garments. 'Chaotic' might have been a better word than 'dynamic'. "Do you want to take a look? And I'm, ah, sorry if I surprised you when I showed up, given that it sounds like you were not... in a position where you expected to be found."

shatteredarchivist

Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 AM

"Revelry.." Tsillu was hovering behind Grarhi suddenly, crouched on a pile of crates. "Not unheard of out here, but never this far into the Expanse itself. Always in cities, in the outskirts, where the nobility call home. But..." Tsillu paused for a long time, then let out an angry snort. "Either the Society itself is hiding things from one of its premier archaeologists, or your Lady knows far too much. If she's letting me have this much information, I hope she knows I have to report her information to the Society. As well as her herself." Tsillu sat down on the crates, resting on his knees and the balls of his feet.

"I want to help you, as soon as possible, if this is actually a matter of importance, but... this site is large and complex with so many branching paths. All tombs here are similar, but this one has proven to be much more expansive than originally anticipated. If you believe it would be easier to report your troubles to the Society directly, that would be my advise and my solution. The leaders themselves look down on us. Each magistrate, especially the ones here, aren't so biased. I have worked with Sattar personally for years and he cares not who you are, but what you have done. He's a friend. What say you? Besides, the tea should be ready soon to occupy us until the sun sets."

Iltu

Old 09-20-2015, 04:40 AM

When he appeared behind her, she started, jerking her elbow several inches up in what would have been a reflexive elbow to the chest if she hadn't caught herself and stopped. Or an attempted elbow to the chest, anyway. Based on what she'd seen of him, Tsillu was probably quick enough to dodge or deflect.

"To be honest," said Grarhi, "I have no idea what her game is anymore, or whether she knew you would go to the Society, or if she thought you could be bought and this would all end quietly, without their involvement..." The thought of involving the magistrate worried her somewhat. If that wasn't what Lady Eletheyin wanted, she she took her displeasure out on her 'guests'... But surely if she would have been more specific if she truly had not wanted Garahi to involve anyone else? Maybe she was trying to set herself up as an innocent recipient of leaked information if someone in a leadership position starts asking questions.

"I'll go to this Sattar with you," she continued after a moment, "I can't see what else I could do." She wasn't sure how much she should tell him- not telling him enough might get nothing done, but babbling about the position Eltheyin had her friends in probably wasn't great for said friends. Tsillu had deserved the truth, at least, but the fewer people who knew all the details, the better. "It is kind of you to help me," she added, "instead of shooing me on my way. Thank you."

shatteredarchivist

Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 AM

"I try my best to uphold what the Society stands for... or at least says it stands for." Tsillu slipped down off the crates, snagging the open folder from Grarhi as he passed, holding it open in front of his beak. "To Protect those Who Have No Protection and to Aid Those Who Have No Aid." Tsillu recited the opening line of the Society's charter. "Of course, it all turned to a resource war, but that's common knowledge at this point." He smiled the best he could, flicking the folder shut with a soft snap. The gesture ended up turning his partially open beak down slightly to emulate the curve of a mouth. "As any organization bent on bettering the world based on volunteer work does, in any event." He set the folder carefully on top of another crate. This one was already littered with other folders, tablets, and documents, each worn by sand and time. The crispness of the new folder and the depth of pitch black ink was eerie against the backdrop of nothing more than varying shades of sand.

Tsillu paused, replicating Grarhi's own stops, and stood facing away from her. When he began again, he spoke slowly in a tone far more sage than his previous babbling. "Is there anything else you need to tell someone before everything goes on Society record? I know not how to read you and your people, but nor am I so blind as to not see that... more needs to be said. I have no way of assuring you that I am not one of Eltheyin's spies, which I'm sure she has if you are to be believed, but admitting she holds your dearest friends captive should have alleviated some stress." Another short moment passed before Tsillu marked the end of his thought. "More troubles you."