Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Titles? And what makes them so great?

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM

@Alaunt: It's because many songs are about caring or loving another and love originated from God so that's the relationship between Him and His children.

@Lord Orpheus: You don't seem to be looking forawrd to it. Anything can be boring or a task when you go into it with a negative attitude. When I feel like I have to do something I hate doing it. I like the books of Kings in the Old Testament because it has some good stories, but all the books do if you look into it. I'm sure you know the story of David and Goliath, but you should study the rest of his life and even before then. There's the life of Samuel the prophet who went to find the next king after Saul and he found David and annointed him with oil and that's when this shepherd boy's life began to change. Although he already served God with instruments he was then directed to sslay the giant and the rest of his life would definitely make an amazing movie and I've seen aspects of his life in literature before.

@Sir.Spoon: You probably should read everything in order. It's more fun switching book to book. Go to Kings, Isaiah, Esther, Matthew, John, Mark, Luke, Acts, Revelation. It's very interesting.
Luke has a genealogy of Jesus Christ all the way up to Adam.

@KitKat: It was sad for me to learn about Keith Ledger's death yeserday. It's always a shame when people die so young. ;_;

EDIT:
@Heiyuu: I really like the Psalms and Proverbs too because when reading Pslams I just hear the musical instruments David was playing while worshipping God.
And Proverbs is the book of comomon sense; it tells what a wise man does and what the foolish do and highly recommends to make the wise decision. xD

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM

@Suki - That is true.

@Heiyuu - Try the Noble Dead series by Barb and J.C. Hendee.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Suki: I know. Praise the Lord with flute and timbrel, right?

Alaunt: Dhampir's the first one in that, right? Yup, I have enjoyed some of that. Reminds me a bit of some of Lynn Flewelling's books at times.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 PM

Yep. Dhampir is the first one. The sixth and last book in that series came out at the beginning of the month. Book one in series two is coming out later this year. I can't wait for it.

With the books of the Bible, I also really do enjoy Psalms. Especially Psalm 62. I don't know why, just that it speaks to me.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Ooh, sixth book's out? I'll have to get it for my dad. He's more into that series than I am, and he bought all the rest.

My personal psalm was the one that had the line,"there on the willows we hung up our lyres, for our captors asked us there for song."

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Yep. It's really good too. Happy ending! ^-^

Do you remeber the number?

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM

@Heiyuu: Yep!
I would have loved to hear David play. I know that he was an annointed musician so much so that he was chosen by the king to play for him even before he was well known and that was when he was very young.

Pslam 137: 2-3
The wording is really beautiful.

@Alaunt: Pslam 62 is a really good one. :3
I love all of them and especially the widely known Pslam 23 and Pslam 91.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2008, 06:19 PM

137, for the willows and lyres one. At a Jewish summer camp one year, our unit did an intensive study of psalms, and I was assigned 137.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM

All of the Psalms are beautiful. I just think that some stand out to people differently.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM

You're right, Alaunt. And the basic message to Pslams is to always give praise God with a new song because that's what David did and God said he was a man after His own heart and David was definitely not perfect. He screwed up a lot but he repented and was always praising God so he had favor.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM

"Shiru l'Adonai shir chadash," eh? Sing unto God a new song? Besides, if David would have been perfect, wouldn't life have been boring back then?

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM

That is why I love the Book of Psalm. I took a class on Psalm last semester and two of my friends are taking it this semester. It was really fun.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM

@Heiyuu: Life wouldn't have been boring. Man and woman were created perfect but they messed it up. Life would have been full of happiness and joy and no sorrow.

@Alaunt: That class would be fun. This year I'm getting a credit for New Testament Survey, but even though its a full credit I'll finish it fast so then I'll move on to Old Testament Survey which will be good too. x3
The Bible is so full of History so it's more than morals and stories and the message of God's enduring love-- it also tells of how life was in actual ancient history from a personal stand point.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm sorry, that's why I can't agree with the common view of heaven, either. Where's the challenge? The fun? Sunshine and harp music are fine, but nothing beats a snowball fight or rock music.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-24-2008, 07:11 PM

No one said there wouldn't be people "playing" with snowballs but it wouldn't be considered an actual fight. And God made music. Rock music has been made into a bad image--one of lust and sin--the musicians have created this image and have put that onto their listeners. Music should mainly be something that brings peace and worship God, but who's to say that rock music can't be pleasing to God...it's mainly the lyrics that need to change. Just change out the lyrics with a Psalm and your good to go.

Believe me, I could think of plenty of things that could beat a snow ball fight and rock music. Sitting back in the grass with a mango at perfect peace sounds pretty good to me. xD
And of course people would still learn and there would be things to do. Adam named the animals of the earth for goodness sake.
Why do you thing God gave us the ability to choose for ourselves? We would still study and those things, but without all the strife and turmoil. There wouldn't be war or broken hearts. There would be the people praising God and openly speaking with God at all times. It would be heaven on earth literally.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ s u k i ~ s h i n e
]@Lord Orpheus: You don't seem to be looking forawrd to it. Anything can be boring or a task when you go into it with a negative attitude. When I feel like I have to do something I hate doing it. I like the books of Kings in the Old Testament because it has some good stories, but all the books do if you look into it. I'm sure you know the story of David and Goliath, but you should study the rest of his life and even before then. There's the life of Samuel the prophet who went to find the next king after Saul and he found David and annointed him with oil and that's when this shepherd boy's life began to change. Although he already served God with instruments he was then directed to sslay the giant and the rest of his life would definitely make an amazing movie and I've seen aspects of his life in literature before.
-is Lord Orpheus-
Well, growing up in a non-religious, "we don't really read for fun" house could have killed it for me... And I am not required to read it for the class (although it would make the class a tad bit easier). I really have no fasination or drive to read the Bible. Besides, there are also many versions of the Bible, so I wouldn't know which one would be most helpful to me. I'm looking for pure enjoyment and reading the Bible would remind me of all meaning within it.
And I have enough books to read for my classes, so I don't need another super long book on my list.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 AM

Well, if you were looking to just be able to understand it for its entirety than the living Bible is good. It is written like people talk today.

But if you want the closest version to the real Hebrew then Greek version then the Kings James Version or the New kings Version is good. I have the New Kings James Version myself.

I've heard the NIV is a good study Bible.

I would feel a lot more accomplishment saying I had read the Bible than a novel, but that's just me. Christian or not, people cannot deny the impact it has had on not only literature but everything.

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd
I never liked Mitch Albom very much. He writing is just too sentimental and emotional for me. It's the kind of stuff that I'll probably be more interested in 40 years from now, but not at this moment. I'm just not his target audience.

Oh, yea, I know what you mean. Usually it isn't my cup of tea either, but something about the book just connected with me in a way, that I can relate to the characters. Also, it's such a refreshing idea of a heaven, that I wish it was real, instead of it just being fictional.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 AM

Suki, may I bow out of the religious discussion without being seen a coward? Sorry, but my own beliefs are unique to myself, and they may not be happy talk for a recreational site.

But I do agree that the Bible (any version, up to and including the Koran) has had a profound effect on literature.

Ryuumi
*^_^*

Old 01-26-2008, 04:25 AM

Hello! This sounds fun! May I join in the dare?

Ryuumi's Book List 2008
1. Layout by Gavin Ambrose. Woohoo! First book!

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 AM

Count it anyways! It is a book, after all.

kitkat
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Hmm. I have attempted to read the bible once n___n. I was
only interested in Moses though. I don't really have a
good understanding of the bible or testaments and such
o__o

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Moses is really fun to follow. Which story did you like the most?