Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 PM

This is the OOC thread for this game. You can find the game thread here.

Character Sheet
I'm afraid it's a rather long and stringy character sheet. There's just not a way to format it prettier in the forums, or if there is I don't know how to do it. If you know how, please share! I've also tried to put all the combat information at the beginning of the sheet, and the roleplay information toward the bottom.
HTML Code:
[B]Character Name:[/B]
[B]Player Name:[/B] 
[b]Character Description or Picture:[/b]
[B]Race:[/B]
[B]Class:[/B]
[B]STR:[/B]
[B]AGI:[/B]
[B]INT:[/B]
[B]WIS:[/B]
[B]CHA:[/B]
[B]CON:[/B]
[B]Speed:[/B]
[B]Encumbrance:[/B]
[B]Damage:[/B] (You might want several numbers here, including the damage of any weapons you carry!)
[B]Armor Class:[/B] (You should add/subtract your agility bonuses!)
[B]Abilities:[/B] (One, unless you have a racial or class bonus)
[B]Skills:[/B] (Ten, unless you have a racial or class bonus. It's probably a good idea to put your skill level beside each skill)
[B]Equipment:[/B]
[B]Equipment Weight:[/B] 
[B]Gold:[/B] (This should include what you have left over after buying your starting gear, as well as whatever you pick up along the way! I'm being nice and saying that gold doesn't weigh anything, even though it totally does!)

[B]Motivation:[/B] (Why are you adventuring? What are you doing here instead of back home with your family? Please note: I will only allow 2 characters to be orphans. If the orphan slots are taken, you'll have to come up with something less cliché.)
[B]Weakness:[/B] (Everyone has some kind of weakness, whether they're gullible, or afraid of heights, or will do anything for a Klondike bar.)
[B]Character Biography:[/B] (If you want to have something secret in your background that might affect gameplay, send Wyrmskyld a PM! She loves players who make her job easier.)
[B]Anything else you think we should know?:[/B]

Filling Out the Character Sheet.X

• Pick a name, and your race and class. Make sure to note any bonus skills/abilities while you're doing that.
  • Next, pick a row of numbers from the Attributes section, and assign them to your attributes. Remember to calculate racial attribute changes!
  • Speed is really how fast you can move in a hurry. The easy way of calculating it is to add your AGI and your CON scores and then divide by 4 and round down. You'll move that number of feet per second when walking, and that number of yards per second when running.
  • How much you're carrying will modify your speed, so you'll probably need to fill out your equipment list before your encumbrance. There's a guide for calculating encumbrance at the beginning of the equipment section, and don't forget your weapons and armor count as part of that encumbrance! I will allow you to take a turn to drop a backpack at the beginning of combat, increasing your speed, but if you wind up having to run away, you might lose a lot of gear!
  • Weapon damage is mainly determined by the weapon, and can be found in that section, but your STR score helps a lot! Every 2 levels of STR above 10 give you +1 damage, and every 2 levels below 10 give you -1. A STR of 16 means +3 damage!
  • Armor helps keep you alive! Armor classes are discussed in the Armor section, and you also get +1 AC for every two AGI above 10, or -1 for every two AGI below 10.
  • Each character gets one Ability, plus any bonuses from their race or class packages. I'll try not to veto any abilities people come up with, but I will suggest limitations to them if I think they're too powerful. Nobody wants to be in a party with Superman when everyone else has Aquaman-level powers.
  • Skills! Ten, plus any racial or class bonuses. I highly recommend that everyone have at least one social skill and at least one weapon skill. Your skill level is equal to whatever attribute it's linked to in the skills list. Some skills have multiple attributes. In those cases, use whichever is highest.
  • You have 1000 gold to spend on equipment, armor, and weaponry. If you have any left over, it goes in your 'gold' section. If someone with lots of leftover gold wants to help out someone with less, I won't argue, but you have to come up with an interesting reason why you're sharing, and it has to go into both your backstories. Did you hire them as a bodyguard? Did they save your life once? Do you owe them gambling debts? Make it good! And don't forget to add up how much all of your equipment weighs! If you want to have a bag that you drop when you enter combat, it's a good idea to split this into total weight vs. combat weight. Oh, and by the way, if you buy something and it's not on your character sheet, you don't have it! Whenever you get new loot, you should PM Wyrmskyld what you've added so she can update your sheet!
  • Finally, fill out the role play/character info section of the sheet, and you're done!

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 12-13-2013 at 03:35 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM

A Brief Note On AlignmentX

I'm not going to make a big deal out of alignment for this game, except that it's going to be a Good campaign. It's okay if you make a neutral character who's in it for booze or booty, but just follow Google's rule and Don't Be Evil.

AttributesX

Strength (STR) is how hard you hit and how much weight you can move/carry. Every 2 levels of STR above 10 give you +1 damage, and every 2 levels below 10 give you -1.
Agility (AGI) is how likely you are to hit, and how fast you can run. It also helps with your Armor Class. You get +1 AC for every two AGI above 10, or -1 for every two AGI below 10.
Intellect (INT) is book-learning, and covers magic, medicine, and math, among other things.
Wisdom (WIS) is common sense and street smarts. Great for doing business and not winding up with a Darwin award.
Charisma (CHA) is how good you are with people. Useful in politics, entertainment, and any social setting.
Constitution (CON) is your health. It covers everything from how fast you die to how well you hold your liquor.

The classic way of generating attributes is with random rolls, but that's not much fun if you have luck like mine. If you want to do it that way, let me know and I'll witness your rolls, but otherwise, here's a handy table of good but not outrageous number spreads from the 4th Edition D&D books! Choose one row and assign your attributes as you please.

14 13 13 13 13 13
14 14 13 13 13 11
14 14 14 12 12 11
14 14 14 14 12 8
15 14 13 12 12 11
15 15 13 12 11 10
16 15 12 11 11 10
16 14 14 12 11 8
16 16 12 10 10 10
16 16 12 11 11 8
17 15 12 11 10 8
17 14 12 11 10 10
18 13 13 10 10 8
18 14 11 10 10 8
18 12 12 10 10 10

ClassesX

Those who've played D&D before will know that technically some races aren't supposed to be certain classes, and there are attribute requirements for most classes. I say that's unnecessary nitpicking! Be a dumb orcish wizard or a weak gnomish paladin if you want! You might not be very useful, but the point is to have fun. I'm also not instituting weapon prohibitions on any class or race. As for multi-classing... we'll talk about that when people get to level 5.
  • Bard: Ahh, the much-maligned bard. Well, no more! I'm making minstrels cool again! All bards get the spell Battle Song, and then they can either cast mage spells one level below theirs, or they can use whatever mundane weapons they have. The catch is that to cast spells the bard must first post some lyrics and then make a successful roll vs. their musical skill, and any spell takes at least 2 turns to cast. I will totally give you bonus points for creative lyrics, whether you make them up yourself or just hunt out really appropriate ones. Bards may prepare (CHA + Level)/4 spells per day.
  • Cleric: The all-important healer, possibly the most important member of the party. All clerics attempt to honor the god they follow, while caring for their fellow man. There are general clerical spells that all clerics may learn and use, and specific ones for each god. It's not impossible to be a cleric of multiple gods, but characters must first reach 5th level. Clerics may prepare (WIS + Level)/2 spells per day.
  • Mage: The classic spellcaster, whether you call them wizards, warlocks, or sorcerers. A mage may prepare (INT + Level)/2 spells per day.
  • Paladin: Somewhere between a cleric and a warrior, paladins fight on behalf of their god. They don't necessarily have to be lawful good, but they must always be good. A paladin can also cast clerical spells and may prepare (WIS + Level)/4 spells per day.
  • Ranger: Archer extraordinaire and lover of wild places, rangers have a special connection to nature. A ranger gains the bonus ability of Beast Speech, and the bonus skills of archery and survival in at least one biome. The most useful attribute for a ranger is AGI
  • Rogue: Master of infiltration and investigation, rogues are far more versatile than just 'thief'. They're also superb fighters, both melee and at range, and often have a sideline in archaeology or something similar. Rogues may choose any bonus ability. The most useful attribute for a rogue is AGI
  • Warrior: Suitable for any type of heavy melee, especially the all-important tank position. Warriors get two bonus skills that must be used for weapon skills. The most useful attributes for a warrior are AGI and STR for a standard warrior, or CON for a tank.

RacesX

• Humans: The most basic race for any adventure campaign, because they're us. Playing a human gets you +1 to the attribute of your choice, and 2 bonus skills.
  • Elves: Slender and graceful, whether they're high elves, forest elves, or drow, elves get +1 AGI, +1 WIS and -1 CON. They also get an ability related to their origin-- drow would get night vision, for example.
  • Dwarves: Sturdy and stubborn, dwarves can be anything from grim and mysterious dwellers of the deep to jolly boisterous innkeepers. They have +1 STR, +1 CON, and -1 AGI. A dwarf can always find nearby caves, and their STR counts double when calculating how much weight they can carry.
  • Halflings: Merry but quiet, a halfling will seldom turn down the offer of a good meal. Their small size gives them -1 STR, but they make it up with +1 AGI and +1 CHA. Halflings get cooking and stealth as bonus skills.
  • Gnomes: Mischievous and curious, gnomes are often frustrating to outsiders. Their endless questions gain them +1 INT, though, and any who survive their curiosity to adulthood also have +1 CON. Unfortunately they also get some of the sense knocked out of them, so -1 WIS. Gnomes start off with lockpicking as a bonus skill, and even a non-mage gnome can create a fist-sized ball of light.
  • Demonkin: While they're descended from humans and demons, demonkin qualify as a separate race because they breed true-- a demonkin plus a human creates a half-demonkin, whereas a half-elf plus a human creates a human. Most demonkin have adopted a gypsy sort of lifestyle in the face of irrational fear and hatred because of their heritage, giving them -1 CHA. They have +1 to any other 2 attributes, however, and 2 bonus skills.
  • Furfolk: Or feather/scaled folk, too. This is kind of meant to cover satyrs, catgirls, lizardmen, etc, and I'm going to be pretty open about this one and let you build your own, although I'd appreciate it if you run it by me first. The standard race template is -1 attribute, +2 attributes, and either 2 skills or one ability of your choice.
  • Half-Humans: Same as humans, really, except that the raised attribute should be something related to the other half of their heritage.

AbilitiesX

Abilities are things that cannot be learned, you have to be born with them. Night Vision, being double jointed, ambidexterity, particularly acute hearing, vision, or smell, beast speech, etc. Each character may have 1 ability, in addition to racial and class bonus abilities. I'm giving you fairly free rein to come up with your ability, but I reserve the right to veto anything too ridiculous. We're not talking superpowers here, just things you're naturally good at. I will allow you to take 'wealth' as your ability if you come up with a good reason in your biography for it. Maybe your family are extremely good merchants, or you're a master thief living off ill-begotten goods! It will give you 3000 total starting gold, but you'll be missing out on a useful ability that could affect you through the entire course of the game. It's up to you.

SkillsX

Skills are things that can be learned. Each character begins with 10 skills, plus racial and class bonus skills. An additional 2 skills may be learned each level. Let me know if there are any skills you think I've overlooked.
  • Weapons Skills (AGI): It's important to note that while weapon skills are based on AGI, some have STR requirements that will be listed in the equipment section. Axe/Mace, Bow, Broadsword, Crossbow, Fencing, Improvised Weapons, Knife, Shield, Sling, Spear, Staff, Thrown Weapon (Knife, Axe, etc), Two-Handed Axe/Mace, Two-Handed Sword, Unarmed Combat, Whip.
  • Social Skills (CHA): Musical Instrument, Singing, Diplomacy, Fast Talk, Gambling (Can also be based on INT or AGI, depending on the game), Politics, Sex Appeal, Carousing(which can be based on CHA or CON).
  • Language Skills (INT): Each character begins with 2 free languages, their racial and usually Human Common
  • Outdoor Skills (WIS): Tracking, Wilderness Survival, Navigation, Orienteering, Fishing, Seamanship
  • Thief/Spy Skills (AGI): Climbing, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Poisons
  • Medical Skills (INT): First Aid, Diagnosis, Physician, Surgery
  • General Skills (WIS): Blacksmith, Cooking, Carpentry, Leatherworking
  • Scholarly Skills (INT): History, Archaeology, Theology, really just about anything ending in -ology, Tactics, Strategy, Naturalist, Alchemy

General Spell InformationX

Just a note to begin with, this is probably the section where I'm deviating the most from D&D. I wanted a simple way to do things that doesn't involve constantly referencing charts. If this system doesn't work out, I may change things in the future.

Any spellcaster may prepare a limited number of spells per in-game day. It's a good idea to post those in your first post of the day, so it's easy to keep track of what you've cast and what you have left. Level 0 spells do not need to be prepared, and may be cast freely at any time. Clerics and Magi may cast spells at or below their own level. Bards may cast mage spells at one level below their own, and Paladins may cast clerical spells.

Mages and Bards must purchase a spellbook in order to cast spells. Clerics and Paladins must have holy symbols.

Most of these spells are taken from D&D 2e and presented here with only minor modifications.

Mage and Bard SpellsX

Level 0
  • Battle Song: For every 5 turns the song is maintained, allies within hearing range get bonuses to hit and to damage for 10 turns from the end of the song. Bonus is equal to the bard's level.
  • Create Fire: Creates a small, candle-flame sized flame. Good for lighting campfires or candles or anything flammable. Takes one turn to cast, caster must be able to see the thing being lit. Flame lasts 5 turns unless it lights something, in which case it lasts as long as there's fuel.

Level 1
  • Alarm: Sets off a very loud alarm if any creature larger than a rat enters the subject area. Area can be up to a 20 foot cube. Creatures within the area during casting will not set off the alarm. Takes 10 turns to cast, lasts 4 hours +1/2 hr per level.
  • Armor: Subject gains +1 AC per caster's level. Takes 10 turns to cast, lasts until subject has taken cumulative damage greater than 8 + caster's level.
  • Detect Magic: Caster detects magical radiations in a path 10 feet wide and 60 feet long. Caster can determine the strength of the magic, and has a 10% chance of determining the type of magic. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 20 turns per caster's level.
  • Feather Fall: Causes a falling subject to become light as a feather. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 10 x Caster Level turns, effective range is 10 x Caster's Level.
  • Grease: Covers a material surface with a slippery layer of grease. Any creature entering the area must make a saving roll or slip, skid, or fall down. Those who successfully save may leave the greased area by the next turn. Those who remain in the area will get a saving throw every turn. Takes 2 turns to cast, lasts 5 turns per level unless dispelled by caster, covers a 10x10 area.
  • Hold Portal: Magically bars a door, gate, etc. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 10 turns per caster's level.
  • Light: Creates a glow equal to torchlight within a fixed radius of the spell's center. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 1 hour per level.
  • Magic Missile: Creates up to 5 missiles of magical energy that dart forth from the wizard's fingertip to strike their target. The target creature must be seen or otherwise detected, and the caster must be able to identify the target. Inanimate objects cannot be damaged by the spell. Does 1d4+1 damage per missile. 1 missile/level, 1 second to cast, range 60 yards.
  • Mending: Repairs small breaks or tears in objects. Can only repair up to 1 cubic foot of material. 1 turn to cast.
  • Ventriloquism: Caster can make his voice-- or someone else's voice-- seem to come from some place else. Anyone rolling a saving throw with a -2 penalty will be able to detect the ruse. Range 10 yards/level.

Cleric and Paladin SpellsX

Level 0
  • Stabilize: This spell stops bleeding and stabilizes the subject until they can either get proper healing, or until they take more damage. Doesn't actually heal, but it's a good bandaid. Takes one turn to cast, caster must touch subject.

Level 1
  • Bless: Raises the morale of friendly creatures within a sphere of up to 60 yards. They get +1 to saving rolls against fear and +1 to hit. Takes 10 seconds to cast, lasts 1 minute. Can also be cast as Curse.
  • Cure Light Wounds: Takes 1 turn to cast, heals 1d8 points of injury. Can be reversed to Cause Light Wounds.
  • Detect Evil: Caster detects evil (Or good, if reversed) radiations in a path 10 feet wide and 60 feet long. Caster can determine the strength of the evil. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 20 turns per caster's level.
  • Detect Poison: Caster can determine if an object has been poisoned or is poisonous. Takes 4 turns to cast, lasts 1 minute. Priest has a 5% chance per level of determining the exact type of poison.
  • Create [Element]: Caster can create a small amount of an element appropriate to the god they follow. Air, Fire, Earth, Water, Light, Darkness, and Random (roll a d6). Can create up to 100 cubic feet of air, light a candle, 100 lbs of clay/soil/stone, 10 gallons of water, light as per a mage's Light spell, or 3 square yards of darkness. Takes 1 turn to cast, Light and Fire last as per the mage spell, Darkness lasts 1 minute per caster's level. Created Air, Earth, and Water are permanent.

EquipmentX

Basic EquipmentThere are two important things to remember when purchasing equipment. First, remember you only have 1000 gold to start with. You won't be able to buy everything you want, and you might not even be able to buy everything you think you'll need. Budget wisely!

Second, the dreaded Encumbrance rules. Here's an easy set of formulas borrowed from GURPS 3e to figure out what each level of encumbrance is for your character. The number to the left of the formulas tells the movement penalty for each level. The penalty will be subtracted from your speed. If what you're carrying weighs:
0) STR times 2 or less= Unencumbered
1) STR times 4 or less= Light Encumbrance
2) STR times 6 or less= Moderate Encumbrance
3) STR times 12 or less= Heavy Encumbrance
4) STR times 20 or less= Extra-Heavy Encumbrance
A flying creature can carry about half as much as a landbound one of equivalent STR.

This is an incomplete list of things that are useful for an adventurer to have. Why is it incomplete? Because I can't think of everything, of course. If there's something you think your character really needs that I haven't listed, let me know and we'll figure out a reasonable price for it.
The prices, stats and weights for weapons, armor, and other items are borrowed from GURPS 3e and D&D 2e with some modifications.
  • Personal Basics: This includes the kinds of things nobody with any sense leaves home without. Spoon, fork, eating knife, towel, toothbrush, flint and tinder, etc. It's a handy little catch-all, because anything you can reasonably argue that you have in it, I'll let you use. Weighs nothing, costs 5 gold.
  • Group Basics: Another catch-all, these are the larger things a group would have along. Cookpots, a hatchet, 20-30 feet of rope, that sort of thing. Weighs 20lbs, costs 50g.
  • Rope: You can never have too much rope! 30 feet of hempen rope weighs 2lbs and costs 5 gold, or 30 feet of silken rope weighs 1/2lb and costs 20 gold. Either will safely bear about 300lbs of weight.
  • Grapnel Hook: Weighs 2lb, costs 20
  • Lockpicks: Weigh nothing, cost 30
  • Blanket: Heavy Wool will keep you warm even when it's wet. Weighs 5 lbs(dry), and costs 20 gold.
  • Tent: A one-man tent weighs 5lbs and costs 50 gold. 2-man is 12lbs and costs 80, and requires a 6 foot pole. 4-man needs 2 6 foot poles, weighs 30 lbs and costs 150.
  • First Aid Kit: Weighs 2lb, costs 30g.
  • Torch: One torch will burn for one hour. Costs 3g, weighs 1lb.
  • Lantern and Lantern Oil: A lantern will burn for 24 hours on one pint of oil. Lantern weighs 2lb, costs 20g, and 1lb of oil costs 2g.
  • Wineskins: Also good for carrying water, a small one holds one gallon, weighs 8lb when full, and costs 10. A large one holds 5 gallons, weighs 41lb when full, and costs 30.
  • Water Barrels: When 5 gallons just isn't enough, water barrels will hold 20 gallons, and weigh 30 lbs -empty-. They only cost 5g.
  • Food: A week's worth of cheap meals costs 10g and weighs 20lbs. Average meals cost 30 and weigh the same amount, and expensive meals cost 50.
  • Clothing: I assume everyone has, at the very least, a loincloth or something to cover their naughty bits. Beyond that, a suit of clothing weighs 5lb. Lower class clothing costs 10g, middle class clothing costs 40g, and upper class clothing costs 200g.
  • Cloaks: A heavy cloak weighs 5lbs, and costs 50g. It can double as a blanket.
  • Backpacks and Purses: Because you have to carry all this equipment! A small backpack will hold 40lbs of gear, weighs 3lbs, and costs $60. A large one will hold 100lbs, weighs 10, and costs 100. A small purse or pouch will hold 3lbs, weighs nothing, and costs 10g.

WeaponsX

I've divided weapons up by skill for convenience's sake, and yes, I did include shields as weapons. When used correctly, they're just as useful for offense as they are for defense! Also note: Some weapons can be thrown. They do the same damage when thrown as they do in the hand. Remember all weapons do the listed damage plus your STR mod!
  • Axe/Mace: Min STR 12. An axe weighs 5lb, costs 2g, and does 1d6 cutting damage. It can be thrown. A mace weighs, costs, and damages the same, except the damage is crushing instead of cutting. It cannot be thrown.
  • Bow: Min STR 10. A bow weighs 2lb and costs 100g. A full quiver of 20 arrows costs 25g and weighs 1lb. Does 1d4 impaling damage.
  • Broadsword: Min STR 10. Weighs 3, costs 500, does 2d4 cutting
  • Crossbow: Weighs 6lb and costs 150, quiver full of 20 quarrels weighs 1lb costs 25g, does 1d6 impaling
  • Fencing Rapier: Weighs 2, costs 500, does 1d6 impaling.
  • Knife: Weighs 1, costs 40, does 1d4 impaling. Can be thrown.
  • Shield: Shields do a small amount of damage and force the target to make an AGI check to remain standing. Small Shield weighs 8lbs and costs 25g, does 0 dice of damage plus your STR mod. It adds 1 AC. A medium weighs 15, costs 60, and adds 2 AC, does 1d3 damage + STR mod. A large shield weighs 25, costs 90, adds 3 AC, and reduces all its bearer's AGI-related skills by 1, does 1d4 damage + STR mod.
  • Sling: Weighs 1/2 lb, costs 10, full pouch of 50 stones is free and weighs 1/2 lb, does 1d4 crushing damage.
  • Spear: Min STR 9. Weighs 4, costs 40, does 1d6 impaling damage. May be thrown.
  • Staff: Min STR 6, weighs 4, costs 10, does 1d6 crushing damage.
  • Two-Handed Axe/Mace: Min ST 13. Great Axe weighs 8, costs 100, does 1d8 cutting. Maul weighs 12, costs 80, and does 1d8 crushing.
  • Two-Handed Sword: Min ST 12. Weighs 7, costs 800, does 1d10 cutting.
  • Unarmed: Any STR can punch someone, for no weight or cost! Does 1d2+STR mod crushing.
  • Whip: Can grapple from a distance, weighs 6, costs 60, does 1d2 crushing and may grapple the enemy.

ArmorX

It's a simple fact that better armor is more expensive, and also heavier unless magic is involved. Technically you could build a suit piecemeal, cloth bracers, steel breastplate, chain coif, etc., but that's a lot to keep track of so I'm strongly advising just buying a full suit of whatever armor you decide on. The AC number will modify how likely you are to take damage.
  • Cloth: 1 AC, cost 100, weighs 10
  • Leather: 2 AC, cost 200, weighs 20
  • Hide: 3 AC, cost 300, weighs 30
  • Chain: 4 AC, cost 500, weighs 45
  • Scale: 5 AC, cost 750, weighs 60
  • Plate: 6 AC, costs 2000, weighs 70
  • Heavy Plate: 7 AC, costs 4000, weighs 90

Magic ItemsX

You won't be able to get enchanted gear to start with, because you just plain don't get enough starting cash. You can find or commission them during gameplay, though, and there are some magic items certain classes will need to start with.
  • Spellbook: Needed by Mages and Bards, costs 100 gold, weighs 5 lbs.
  • Holy Symbol: Needed by Clerics and Paladins, costs 100 gold, weight negligible.
  • Portable Alchemy Set: Good for the most basic potion-making, costs 500 gold, weighs 50 lbs.

Basic Game PlayX

GM's Pledge
I will try to keep my games fairly well balanced. There will be role play, exploration, investigation, socializing, combat, and eventually even politics. I will try to give each player equal time, and give every player ample time. I will reward creativity, leadership, and teamwork. I won't kill characters casually, because I think the best characters are the ones that you get to know well. I do not promise your character won't die. I will not veto any suggestion unless I absolutely cannot find a way to make it fair for every player. I will do my best to make this game fun and challenging, while keeping game play moving.

Dice Rolls
This section will deviate from D&D rules quite a bit. It's pretty simple, though, and much more similar to GURPS methods.
  • To roll a die, you'll type:
    HTML Code:
    [dice]20(or 4, 6, 8, or whatever number of sides you require)[/dice]
  • For Skill Checks and Saving Throws, lower is better. You'll want to roll below your skill/attribute.
  • For Damage rolls, you'll want to roll high, the better to crush your enemies.
  • Weapon Skill Checks will almost always have modifiers. You will want to roll lower than your Weapon Skill minus the enemy's Armor Class. Other Skill Checks may also have modifiers. I will let you know about those before you roll.
  • Sometimes your allies will have spells that will modify your Skill Checks!
  • Please describe your action before you roll. If you write out a brilliant speech but then fail terribly on your Diplomacy check, I might give you bonuses to make it a success. Just saying 'I try to talk him into it' and then rolling the dice isn't very interesting for anyone. Even if I don't give you skill bonuses, I might give you points for creativity!
  • Finally, please do not edit a post in which you made a dice roll. It will re-roll the dice, and will be considered cheating. If you made an error, PM Wyrmskyld and let her know.

Combat
Because this is a forum, and we're all in different time zones, I'm not going to stick to the standard rule of 'fastest person goes first.' Instead, I'm going to describe the situation and then everyone will have up to 3 days to describe what they're going to do during that turn and make a roll to see if it's successful. If they hit the enemy or heal an ally, I'll let them know and have them roll for damage or healing. If everyone takes their actions before the 3 days are up, the next part will start sooner. If someone doesn't post an action in those three days, they're assumed to be holding back. Once everyone has posted, I'll have the opponents take their actions, and the process will repeat. In-game, each turn will take one second, so try to remember that when you're describing your actions.

A note on combat damage: There are 3 kinds of damage. Cutting, crushing, and impaling. Cutting damage has a bleed effect, and works best against lightly-armored opponents. Crushing tends to be best against skeletons and winged creatures. And impaling is good for getting through mail armor. All of them are equally useful, and I don't particularly advise any one type over another.

Non-Combat
In cities and towns, groups tend to want to split up and buy gear, or go find a tavern or something social to do. To keep this from bogging down gameplay, I'm going to institute the same 3 day rule on town visits. If you want to do something in town, post it during those 3 days or you'll miss your chance!

Also, social situations will be treated a little bit like combat. Tell me what you want to do or say, and then make your roll. You'll need to do things like this when talking to potential employers, or when gathering information to solve mysteries. Sometimes it's a good idea to pick a spokesperson in these situations.

To Be Continued?
I think I've covered all the important rules, but because I'm kind of building this system with parts from several others it's always possible that we'll discover more that need to be added. I'll make sure that everyone's aware of changing rules.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 12-13-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM

The World of Asarth

Geography and a bit of HistoryX

You'll be starting in the port city of Arlith, on the island of Arynn. It's one of a large cluster of islands that lie between the impassible Wyrmguard Reef in the west and the almost impassible Great Western Sea to the east. Across the Western Sea lies the ancient Empire of Barven, to which few dare travel. To the north is the Dragonbreath Current, which keeps the savage Northmen from raiding, and to the south are the mysterious and rich Silent Lands that export silks and incense and jewels.

The people of Arlith are a mix of races that live together more or less in harmony. It's a prosperous trading city, as well as being Arynn's capital, and therefore a great place to come looking for work. Arlith is famous for the Wall, a long-abandoned defensive structure that is now covered with job offerings, sales papers, public announcements, and bounties.

The GodsX

There are 7 Gods on Asarth-- or at least, there are7 gods worshipped in the area you'll be starting in. The gods have no gender, and most people use 'he' and 'she' interchangeably to refer to them. Some people also worship Asarth herself, but there are no temples or clerics of Asarth.
  • Lithen is the god of Light, Order, and Art.
  • Darthen is the god of Darkness, Chaos, and Music.
  • Riithen is the god of Air and flying creatures.
  • Sarthen is the god of Earth and landbound creatures.
  • Takthen is the god of Fire and War.
  • Uolthen is the god of Water and aquatic creatures.
  • 'Jack' is the name most people use to refer to the 7th God. Jack is the god of balance and mischief, luck and children. It's considered unwise to speak his true name, because those who draw his attention often find themselves in strange situations. His intentions are always good, but his methods are often strange.

Legend: Creation of the GodsX

When the world was young, Asa'arth knew that the People who roamed her surface could become more than they were if they had guidance and teaching... but Asa'arth could not guide them herself, for they were too small to hear her. She needed go-betweens who were grand enough to understand her, but who were close enough to the People to be understood by them. And so she made the seven gods.

At first there were but four, one for each of her seasonal garments. Fanciful Riithen represented Spring with its soft breezes and wild storms. Summer fell to stalwart Sarthen, who knew that the seasons' lush bounty drew life from the hard earth beneath the fields. Dazzling Takthen embodied the brilliant blaze of Autumn leaves that eventually fell and became dust. And serene Uolthen personified the soft white mantle of Winter, as well as the dark seas that remained immune to Winter's sleepy charm.

Asa'arth was pleased with the four gods, but she realized they were not enough. They only represented Asa'arth herself. So she created Lithen and Darthen to stand for day and night, the stars and the void, order and chaos. And, finally, with great thought, she created a seventh god who would speak to the People of balance and the connections between all things. A god who mirrored the People themselves in all their kind cruelty, their wise foolishness and their innocent knowledge. This god's name she spoke only in a whisper, feeling that the People would appreciate the name more if they first sought it out.

And then the gods went forth to guide the people.

Legend: An Alternate Version of the Creation of the Gods, and also How the Wyrm Came to BeX

Listen well, children, for I tell you this direct from Jack's own mouth. Men and gods came to be at the same time, for men without gods are nothing, and gods without men do not exist. We and the gods are the twin children of Asa'arth who gives us all life, but we are luckier than they.

You see, Mother Asa'arth did not trust our siblings, the gods, for their powers could do her great harm, so when she birthed us all she kept the gods deep within her womb to protect herself and us from them. But we remembered the gods, our brothers and sisters, and we prayed to them, and so they were not weakened and contained as well as Asa'arth wished.

The gods struggled against the smothering of their beloved mother, wishing for freedom only to prove themselves to her. Finally, one of the gods-- I am told it was Jack, but remember Jack told me the story-- one of the gods suggested they make a great creature to help them escape.

So the gods worked together to make the Wyrm and each god contributed. First, Sarthen took a bone from Mother Asa'arth and shaped it, then Takthen hardened it with fire. Uolthen quenched it and Riithen breathed life into it. Lithen opened its eyes and Dathen its ears. And finally, Jack gave it wisdom and curiosity, knowledge and thought.

The Wyrm opened its eyes and flexed its muscles and tore Mother Asa'arth asunder. The land ripped and the sea flooded in, buildings were toppled and islands rose from the depths or vanished beneath the waves. The Mother's face changed forever, but in all the destruction not a single life was lost. Not so much as a tiny flea or a blade of grass was destroyed, for the gods did not wish their freedom to be won with death.

Now that its job was done, the Wyrm headed north to find a home for itself, and the gods spread across the land to help rebuild what had been destroyed by the Sundering.

Legend: How the People Grew FurX

One time, not long after the gods broke the land, a girl ran away from home to marry a boy from another island that had a big town on it. Everyone knows someone who's done that, but this girl's mama was heartbroken-- she'd been counting on her girl to take care of her in her old age. So the mama worried that all the young people were going to forget the old ways and go to the towns, and who should happen to hear her but Jack?

Now, everyone knows that Jack's as full of mischief as a basket of kittens in a knitting shop, but he does always try to do folks a good turn when he sees they need it. And after listening to this mama for a while, he thought maybe she was right. Maybe-- how had she put it? Maybe young folk were getting away from the land and the wild. And anybody only had to look at the folks over in Barven to know what kind of trouble that led to. Fancy buildings and frilly clothes and kings and serfs.

So Jack put his mind to it and by morning, he had it fixed. When folks woke up that next day, everyone on the island had fur or feathers or scales. And everyone with fur or feathers or scales was faster or stronger or had keener sight or hearing or smell than those without.

The City of ArlithX

Nestled on the western edge of the Great Western Sea lies the city of Arlith, the oldest city in the world. It hardly looks ancient at a first glance, being a bustling metropolis filled with traders from far-off Tehley and nearby Raeland. It's not even uncommon to meet merchants who've traveled to the mysterious Silent Lands of the south, and some ships even claim to have dared the Great Current to reach the Empire of Barven far to the East. But if one knows what to look for, and peers past bright paintwork and lush vines, they will start to see the signs of age. This simple shop has a wall of finely-carved marble, and that wealthy has pillars that might have graced some ancient temple. Bits and fragments of an ancient city have been built into the new, just as bits and fragments of many cultures have blended into the city's culture. Books have been filled with the little points of interest about the city, but any local will tell you that the most interesting thing in town is the Wall.

The Wall is the largest intact piece of the original city, and might once have been part of its defenses. Now, though, it's been swallowed up by encroaching neighborhoods, and one side of the great edifice serves as the back wall for an entire street of shops. The other side, however, is covered with layer upon layer of paper and parchment. Public notices, flyers announcing services, job offerings, resume postings, all plastered on top of one another to double the thickness of the Wall... it's said that an archaeologist once tried to catalogue the layers on one square yard of the Wall, only to go mad when he arrived one morning to find that the area he'd cleared was covered by new flyers. One section of the Wall is particularly interesting to visiting adventurers, however. The section nearest the Military Quarter is covered with requests for monsters to be slain and princesses to be rescued... or simply thieves to be taken for a bounty. This is where many quests have begun, and a few have ended.

Politics on the Island of ArynnX

The island nation of Arryn is ruled by King Stanager VII. He seldom has contact with commoners, but most people generally agree he's a decent king. Arynn hasn't gone to war or been warred upon during his reign, he keeps the nobles in line so they don't start interfering with the lower classes, taxes aren't too high, and he's made his birthday a holiday for which he provides public feasts in all the major cities.

There is a relatively small standing army, and a much larger standing navy. The army's main job is dress parades and occasionally patrolling for bandits. The navy deals with pirates mainly, but it's a good enough navy that few other islands would consider taking it on.

Arlith is the capital city, but outside of the royal compound it's officially ruled by Duke Marchen. Marchen is rather cold and egotistical, but he keeps the city running smoothly and makes sure everyone pays their taxes. Many people, even in the city guard, feel he's a little too harsh on lawbreakers, but that's only really a problem if your crime is brought to his attention in some way. Otherwise the judges are fair and try to assign reasonable sentences.

Arlith itself is a walled city, although the gates are seldom closed and it's kind of spilled out beyond its walls in all directions. Its main focus is trade, and money can buy you just about anything you want there. People of all races walk the streets, and anyone native to Arlith will be able to at least do basic reading and writing because of the proactive policies of the city's temples.

Laws are pretty standard. Do not steal, do not murder, slavery is bad, etc. Prostitution is legal if the ladies (or gents!) have a license. Drugs are legal but generally frowned upon. Practicing necromancy is pretty much an immediate death sentence, and it's very hard to disguise being a necromancer when a significant percentage of the population are Furfolk with a keen sense of smell.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 12-23-2013 at 03:29 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Quests on The Wall
The Wall is about 100 yards long, and covered with fluttering scraps of paper. The locals treat it as a source of news and entertainment. Notices of weddings, births, arrests, funerals, and estate sales are posted there, as well as statements from the government. One section, closest to the Mage Quarter, is covered with job listings and bounty offerings. This particular area is a favorite hangout of local loafers-- not because they want a job, but because the adventurers who come to that part of the Wall are an endless source of entertainment. These loafers often have information-- or at least advice-- that might be useful in the quests.
Disclaimer
Not all quests are right for every group. There are some quests on the Wall that your group simply can't take on at any given time, either because you don't have enough money, enough experience, or enough information, but those things always change. I've provided common knowledge information for most quests, but that won't be enough to complete them in most cases. Ask around town for information before running off on a quest to make sure you aren't getting in too far over your head. It might also be a good idea to keep track of any rumors you here or observations you make that might help you in one of the quests you aren't actively pursuing!

Unicorn WantedX

UNICORN WANTED

The Monks of St. Aubergine will pay a substantial reward to anyone who brings a live unicorn to their monastery outside Ala'Kiin, on the nearby island of Caell.

Common Knowledge(Caell): Caell is to the southwest of Arynn, and the island itself generally has a sketchy reputation. It's famous for producing perfumes and spices, as well as medicinal and recreational drugs. It's infamous as a hideout for people on the run from the law, and supposedly you can do anything you want there as long as you can afford it.
Common Knowledge(Unicorns): These are your standard unicorns-- their horns can heal wounds and cure poisons, they're ridiculously magical, and they can only be approached by someone pure of heart.

BanditsX

BANDIT BOUNTY

A group of bandits have been plaguing traders to the west of Arlith. The local merchants' guild is offering a bounty of 250g for each bandit killed. They require the bandits’ right hands as proof of death.

PiratesX

PIRATE BOUNTY

A group of pirates have been plaguing trade ships to the east of Arlith. The local merchants' guild is offering a bounty of 250g for each pirate killed. They require the pirates’ right hands as proof of death.

Missing HeirX

MISSING CHILD

Marius Merlo, Duke Marchen is offering a reward to anyone who can return his missing son, or produce information leading to his son’s return. The young man in question is about 15 years old, slender, with very fair hair and grey eyes. Serious investigators may approach the service entrance and ask permission to see the boy's quarters.

Common Knowledge: Duke Marchen is the direct ruler of the city of Arlith. He also has a reputation for being very stern and not very patient.

Caravan GuardsX

CARAVAN HIRING

Halmaro the Red is sending a trade caravan to the city of Ruus. He is looking to hire for all positions including: guards, cooks, animal handlers, etc.

Common Knowledge: Halmaro the Red is the head of the local Merchant's Guild, and has a reputation as an excellent employer. Ruus is on the island of Raeland. The caravan will probably cross Arynn to get to Garsport to the northwest, and then board a boat to cross the relatively narrow channel to Ruus.

Gem MerchantX

LOOKING FOR ASSISTANCE

Flinthoof the gem merchant is looking for bodyguards and a mage who knows how to cast Dispel Illusion. He intends to hire them for a three month trip to the island of Tehley.

Common Knowledge: Tehley is the home of the dwarves. It's famous for dwarf-crafted armor and weapons as well as being a major hub for the gem trade.

Expedition to the Lost City of Tahl’iaX

LOOKING FOR ADVENTURERS
Professor Arne the Historian is gathering an expedition to where he believes the Lost City of Tahl’ia can be found.

Common Knowledge:Everyone knows that the streets of Tahl’ia are gold, the windows in all the houses are fabulous gemstones, and the Fountain of Youth lies at the city’s heart. Everyone also knows that's probably an exaggeration.

Prisoner TransportX

RELIABLE HEROES NEEDED

Reliable adventurers wanted to transport Sarlin the Black to the monastery at Marilune.

Common Knowledge: Sarlin the Black is a mage who committed a series of grisly murders. Many people are very upset that he wasn't executed when he was caught. Marilune is the island of the elves, and lies far to the west.

Kidnapped PrincessX

KIDNAPPED PRINCESS

Princess Larina of Barven has been kidnapped by a dragon. King Andarl is offering a reward of one million gold to anyone who returns her safely to the embassy in Arlith, with a bonus for bringing the dragon as well (dead or alive). Proof of her demise and that of the dragon might gain a substantially reduced reward. The ambassador has further details that he may give to serious rescuers.

Common Knowledge: Dragons live to the west and the north, and that's all anybody really knows for sure. There are legends of course-- they're intelligent, they hoard treasure, they eat entire horses in one bite-- but those are just legends. This is the first time anyone living has claimed to have actually seen a dragon.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 12-23-2013 at 12:16 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Characters

Alexis Alerrio, Harpy Ranger, Played by Cora LongingtonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora View Post
Character Name:Alexis Alerrio
Player Name: Cora Lorington
Race:Harpy (Furfolk)
Class:Ranger
STR:13
AGI:18
INT:7
WIS:13
CHA:11
CON:11
Speed: 6
Encumbrance: Light
Damage: Bow-1d4+1, Whip- 1d2+1
Armor Class: 4
Abilities: Flight, Beast Speech
Skills: Bow, Whip, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, Slight of Hand, Stealth, Tracking, Wilderness Survival, Cooking, Carpentry, Archery, Poisons, Sex Appeal.
Equipment:Bow, 1 quiver arrows, Small Backpack, Personal Basics, Clothing(Middle Class), Food(Average), Lantern, Lantern Oil x3, Whip, Lockpicks, Cloak(heavy), Wineskin(sm), Rope(silk), First Aid
Equipment Weight: 14.5 lbs (Bow, Quiver, Clothes, Rope) 43lbs(Everything else is in Backpack)
Gold: 594g
Motivation: The money. She’s totally in it all for the gold. Being the daughter of a Trade Merchant and His wife her father died in a tragic accident when she was young leaving the business to her mother. Over the years her mother has had failing health from a disease that no one can name. Alexis is searching for a cure.
Weakness: She doesn’t trust people. Despite her outwardly bubbly personality she inwardly doesn’t trust people to help her. She tries to take on everything by herself and often times tries to do too much.
Character Biography: Alexis lost her father to a tragic accident when she was but a small girl. Her mother raised her, and took over the trade business. However, the world did not look kindly on her mother taking over, and the business did poorly. Never poorly enough to close down the place, but poorly enough to leave them fairly poor. When her mother became
Anything else you think we should know?:She can have a mean temper when angry.

Draza Pearlscale, Lizardfolk Cleric of Uolthen, played by ~LONGCAT~X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LONGCAT~ View Post
Character Name: Draza Pearlscale
Player Name: ~ Longcat ~
Character Description or Picture: Lizard folk are large, Draza is no exception, from snout to tail about 13 ft in length. Standing at roughly 6 feet, with slight stoop. Amber gold eyes, dark brown/green scales with a light pearling over them.
Race: lizardfolk
Class: cleric of Uothen
STR: 14 +2
AGI: 10
INT: 9
WIS: 18 +4
CHA: 8 -1
CON: 14 +2
Speed: 6ft/sec walk. 18 ft/sec run
Encumbrance:
Damage: spear 1d6 +2
Armor Class: 10 + 2 +1
Abilities: low light vision, underwater breathing, natural armor +1
Skills:
Medical: first aid, diagnostic, physician
Outdoor: wilderness survival, fishing
Scholarly: naturalist(herbology)
Thief: poison
Weapon: spear, unarmed
Social: Intimidate
Languages: Reptilian, common
Equipment: Leather Armor 20lbs 200g
Modified Spear (shorter, second smaller spear tip. It's a fishing spear.) 4 lbs 50g 1d6 impaling Can be thrown
Net 0.5lbs 10g
Holy Symbol Neg weight 100g
First aid 2lbs 30g
Clothing 5lbs 10g
Personal Basics neg weight 5g
Small Bag 3lbs 60g - Can hold 40lbs
Pouch neg weight 10g - Can hold 3lbs
Equipment Weight: 34.5lbs
Gold: 25g (only started with 500)

Motivation: The home swamps are beginning to dry up, although they would never admit this to an outsider. Draza and several other clerics and shamans are out on clan quest to find a new suitable home large enough for their people. If this means they will have to fight off any current residences if said suitable lands...
Weakness: cold blooded; slow in cold climates.
Character Biography: tbd
Anything else you think we should know?: True Neutral. She enjoys meticulously brushing her teeth, her long sharp numerous teeth.

Aneja Heartsmith, Human Rogue, played by BrotherOfDarknessX

Character Name: Aneja Heartsmith
Player Name: BrotherOfDarkness
Character Description or Picture:
Race: Human
Class: Rogue
STR: 14
AGI: 18
INT: 16
WIS: 6
CHA: 10
CON: 9
Encumbrance: light encumbrance
Damage: Knife 1d4+2 impaling, Sling 1d4+2 crushing
Armor Class: Leather 2AC+4
Abilities: Low light vision, photographic memory
Skills:
Weapons Skills (AGI):
1. Knife
2. Sling
11. Unarmed
Language Skills (INT):Human Common
Outdoor Skills (WIS):
Thief/Spy Skills (AGI):
3. Climbing
4. Lockpicking
5. Pickpocket
6. Sleight of Hand
7. Stealth
8. Poisons
12.Traps
Medical Skills (INT):
General Skills (WIS):
Scholarly Skills (INT):
9. forgery
10. Disable device
One more tbc
Equipment:
Personnel basics 5g 0lbs
Grapnel Hook 20g 2lbs
Lock picks 30g 0lbs
Empty Small wine skin 10g 1lbs
Clothing 40g 5lbs
Heavy cloak 50g 5lbs
60ft silken rope 40g 1lb
A small backpack holds 40lbs of gear, 60g 3lbs
Knife: Weighs 1, costs 40, does 1d4 impaling. Can be thrown.
Knife: Weighs 1, costs 40, does 1d4 impaling. Can be thrown.
Sling: Weighs 1/2 lb, costs 10, does 1d4 crushing damage.
Small pouch hold 3lbs 10g 0lbs
Leather: 2 AC, cost 200g, weighs 20lbs
555g 39 1/2lbs
Equipment Weight: 39 1/2lbs
Gold: 445g
Motivation: Aneja likes gold, not because she is greedy but she likes the safety that it brings, so more than gold she likes people with gold, or someone that can protect her, and usually young adventurers or warriors with sharp swords are good people to be around. So she has made a habit of bee lining for the safety in powerful people.
Weakness: she tends to follow the strong or powerful and can be influenced by them easily, she has a taste for gold, so can come across greedy. And gambling is a vice of hers. Aneja is afraid of eggs.
Character Biography: Aneja was born as Aneja Smith, Heartsmith was given to her by an old flame, and it stuck. She grew up,with her mother who sold craftwork at a stall, pretty mundane but her father who was a skilled painter, would be commissioned to do portraits of great people, or design decoration for carriages, he had very skilled and steady hands, as well as a great eye for detail, especially after working in the gloom so much, these are something that he passed onto Aneja, he tried bringing her up as his apprentice, but she was always annoyed at how unappreciated he was. While she was still a child, a thief broke into their home to steal from her father, but Aneja woke and spotted him. As he,was about to strike Aneja dead he stopped, and something in him had pity on Aneja (that's another story) he returned often to visit Aneja, and eventually trained her in his skills, which she soon surpassed. This continued for years eventually Aneja left home to become a thief with this man, until one night he didn't return from a night of 'work'. Since then Aneja has pretty much had to survive, refusing to return home, due to the shame. And has clinged to groups of local thugs etc... She recently returned from a party of adventurers being the sole survivor, and she has never spoke of it.
Anything else...:

Phaelan Eckert, Half-Orc Bard, Played by EthosX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
Character Name: Phaelan Eckert
Player Name: Ethos

Laaadies~
Race: Half Orc
Class: Bard
STR: 17
INT: 10
WIS: 10
CHA: 12
CON: 16
Speed: 5
Encumbrance: Moderate Encumbrance

Damage:
Unarmed: 1d2+3
Two-Handed Mace: 1d8+3
Shield: Depends on size of shield. Medium Shield does 1d2+3
Improvised Weapons: Depends on the weapon
Armor Class: 2
Abilities: Night Vision, and a rich, bass voice.
Skills:
Weapon - Unarmed Combat(), Two-Handed Mace(), Shield(), Improvised Weapons()
Social - Instrument(), Singing(), Diplomacy(), Sex Appeal()
Language - Human Common(), Orcish()
Outdoor - Wilderness Survival()
Medical - First Aid()

Equipment:
Personal Basics
Large Backpack
One Man Tent
Small Wine Skin (full of water)
Week's Worth of Cheap Meals
Middle Class Clothing
Leather Armor
Heavy Cloak
Guitar
Small Harp

Equipment Weight: 89 lbs

Gold: 470

Motivation: Mom said "You're old enough to live on your own" and "You need to get a job", so being a pacifist and a societal outsider (and really good looking), he decided to be a travelling musician singing songs about love and the human(oid) condition. Still young, Phaelan can be easily persuaded to get into fights and trouble.

Weakness: Phaelan is very gullible and trusts every one to do the right thing all of the time. He gets very depressed and confused when other folks let him down.

Character Biography: Pops was kindly Orc with a good soul, but he was just running with a bad crowd. Just because you're all big and green doesn't mean that you're a bad guy! It turns out that some times you're "expected" to "follow" those stupid "warlords" with their stupid "lust for blood"... blah blah blah, and during a raid of a village Jorguk found love. Mom wasn't too pleased about the situation at first, but the frozen heart can melt. Needless to say, it's a strong woman that can get alimony and (essentially) weekends out of an orc raider, but Sylvia Eckert fit the bill.

Mom is one tough broad.

Phaelan had much of the same upbringing as any human boy in the village. However, being unlike the other boys (it's not easy being green) he was picked on and rather than being bitter about it, Phaelan was the bigger man figuratively... until he became the bigger man literally and the jeering happened to stop on it's own.

Anything else you think we should know?: He likes rainy days, horseback riding, and the color of your eyes.
(I imagine him to be much like Captain Carrot)

Zebulon Pike, Human Wizard, Played by ChexalaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
Character Name: Zebulon Pike
Player Name: Chexala
Character Description or Picture: Zebulon is 5’10”, dark black skinned, lean and reasonably well fit. He has brown eyes, a largish, hooked nose, a full, neatly trimmed beard and wears his hair short. His hair generally is dark brown, but there is a hint of red in his beard. He wears clothes like those in this picture, plus a cloak during cold/wet weather.

Class: Mage/Wizard
STR: 13
AGI: 12
INT: 15
WIS: 11 (10 + 1 racial)
CHA: 11
CON: 15
Speed: 6 (unencumbered)
Encumbrance: 2, Moderate encumberance
Damage: 1d6+1 crushing damage (Staff +1 STR bonus)
Armor Class: 2 AC (Cloth Armor + 1 AGI bonus)
Spells per day: 8
Abilities: Photographic memory: Zebulon can memorize and recall information and observations much faster and easier than usual.
Skills: 12 (10 + 2 racial.)
  • Weapons: Staff (13).
  • Languages: Common (15), Elven(15).
  • Social: Socialize (11), Empathy (11).
  • Medical: First Aid (15).
  • General: Cooking (11), Horse Riding (??).
  • Academic: History (15), Theology (15), Astronomy (15), Mathematics (15), Alchemy (15), Poetry (15).
Equipment: Spellbook, Staff, Cloth Armor, Personal Basics, Middle Class Clothing, Cloak, Average Food, Small Wineskin, Lantern, Lantern Oil, First Aid Kit, Silk Rope, Medium Backpack, Pouch
Equipment Weight: 72.5lbs
Gold: 473g

Motivation: Zebulon was recently confirmed as a Journeyman rank mage by the mage's guild where he grew up and is now traveling to expand his knowledge beyond books and schooling so that he can attain the rank of Master. Blending his merchant childhood and his mage education, he seeks to travel from place to place offering his services to people in need.
Weakness: If Zebulon has one primary vice, it’s Pride. He thinks highly of himself, and it often too proud to admit when he is wrong or has made a mistake. Small mistakes come to him often, however, as he is relatively naive and out of the loop on current politics and culture. He is highly motivated by duty, honor, and a sense of obligation to his family and guild, which leads to a somewhat rigid or stuffy attitude. He prefers to be called by his full first name and does not like nicknames. He is essentially Lawful Good in character, but his devotion to the law is based on academic understanding and not through personal experience with difficult choices or morally ambiguous situations. Also, he is easily flustered by flirtation.
Character Biography: Zebulon comes from a modest traveling merchant family. He spent his childhood travelling in their caravan, helping with the chores and expecting that one day he would follow in his family's trade along with his brothers and sisters. Instead, he discovered he had an innate talent for magic when he was twelve, and his father sent him to apprentice at a mage's guild in the city. The guild not only taught him magic and alchemy, but also taught him how to read, study, and hone his acute observational skills. He learned a variety of subjects, ranging from history and religion to math and astronomy. Feeling duty-bound to his family and his school but also excited by everything there was to learn, he took his studies very seriously, and has done little else during his years at the guild. Despite being serious minded and studious, however, he has always been reasonably friendly and sociable, though he does not have many close friends. His rigorous and disciplined life has also left little time for romance, so he is emotionally inexperienced in many ways.
After 10 years with the guild, Zebulon achieved the Journeyman rank, as mentioned above, and has been set loose on the world for the first time at the age of 22.
Anything else you think we should know?: Zeb is the equivalent of a recent college grad - well educated but inexperienced, and a bit at a loss. He has long term goals, but isn’t sure how to go about achieving them.

Rave Isenblæd, Human Warrior, Played by MythosX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
Character Name: Rave Isenblæd
Player Name: Mythos

Class: Warrior
STR: 17
AGI: 12
INT: 8
WIS: 11
CHA: 10
CON: 15 + 1 (racial bonus)
Encumbrance: -1 Light Encumbrance
Damage: Unarmed (1d2+STRmod), shield (1d3+STRmod), spear (1d6+STRmod impaling), crossbow (1d6+STRmod impaling)
Armor Class: +1 (AGI) +4 (chain armor) +2 (medium shield) -- AC: 7
Abilities: High level of insight (in terms of spotting lies/flawed arguments?)
Skills: 10 + 2 (racial bonus) + 2 (class bonus, weapon skills)
Strategy, Tactics, First Aid (Int)
Diplomacy, Sex Appeal (Cha)
Carousing (Con)
Unarmed Combat, Two-handed Sword, Broadsword, Shield, Crossbow, Spear
Languages: Common, Dwarvish
Equipment: Chain armor, medium shield, spear, crossbow, quiver of 20 quarrels, personal basics.
Equipment Weight: 71 lbs
Gold: 220
Motivation: Rave is a member of the city guard and quite proud of that despite some of the attitude she gets while she's on the beat. Her father was a soldier in the lord's army like his father before him and while Rave would have been more than happy to be the next in that line she was requested to stay closer to home while her reluctant brother went off to be the brave knight. She is determined to prove to the world that she is worthy of the post she was denied.
Weakness: Rave sees the world in black and white and is quick to deciding which is which and how to deal with them. This mindset makes her impulsive and at times rather difficult to get along with. She has a limited sense of humor and has a hard time relaxing. She is terrible at lying and even worse at entertaining.
Character Biography: Rave is a grunt level city guard from a proud military family. She resents her parents' choice of sending her brother off to serve the lord's army when she was willing to go despite their arguments that she was 1) younger and 2) less prepared/trained at the time than he was. Since that time she has spent all of her energy into proving her capability where ever she can find an outlet. This goal, however, is stagnating her her low level position within the city as she continues to find herself stuck behind a desk filling in reports instead of being out in the field taking down the baddies. She takes her job very seriously but finds herself struggling from taking action beyond those tasks assigned to her.

Anything else you think we should know?: Let the almost-not-just-lawful good shenanigans begin!

Tryphaena "Phaena" Floros, Cervitaur Ranger, played by PhaenaX

Character Name: Tryphaena "Phaena" Floros
Player Name: Phaena
Character Description or Picture: Phaena is fairly short, standing at 5'2" and has a naturally tanned complexion (white spots can be found on her arms, legs, and back). Her hair is brown, long and wavy, usually decorated with various flowers and sometimes braided as to not get in the way. She has large brown eyes and a slender, delicate build.

[no photo yet]

Race: Furfolk (Cervitaur)
Class: Ranger
STR: 12 +2
AGI: 15
INT: 15
WIS: 11
CHA: 13
CON: 15
Speed: 7
Encumbrance: Light Encumbrance

Damage:
Unarmed: 1d2+1
Bow: 1d4 +1
Improvised: Depends on the weapon
Armor Class: +5 AC
Abilities: Beast Speech, Night Vision
Skills:
Weapon - Unarmed Combat (10), Bow (15), Improvised Weapons (12)
Language - Common (13), Elven (13)
Other - Singing (13), Poetry (13), Astronomy (14), Cooking (15), Wilderness Survival (15), Fishing (15), Navigation (14), First Aid (15), Stealth (15)

Equipment:
Personal Basics
Large Backpack
Small Wine skin (empty)
Middle Class Clothing
Latern and Latern Oil x2
Leather-bound book and Quill (no ink)
Heavy Cloak
First Aid Kit

Equipment Weight: 23lbs
Gold: 210

Motivation: After her grandfather passed away, Phaena sought out to make something of herself and prove to her parents that she could survive without them (after they expressed worry that she wouldn't be able to.) Wanting to go on adventures and experience new things instead of taking over the inn had a lot to do with it as well.

Weakness: Unable to swim, has a fear of drowning. Doesn't trust as easily as she used to.

Personality: Though shy and quiet upon first meeting, once Phaena gets to know someone, she can become annoyingly curious wanting to know everything about them. Thoughful, Phaena considers her words carefully as to not offend or upset anyone, though she herself is a very emotional person. She is easily angered, upset, and fearful. Simple things amuse her greatly, such as games children play and all kinds of music. Outgoing, she will try anything once and will usually know if she likes or dislikes something right away, being an opinionated individual. The book in her pack is filled with her thoughts, including daydreams and ramblings on what sort of traits she thinks would make a good match for her. A hopeless romantic, she is worried that she will fall for someone who is totally wrong for her but that she won't see it until it is too late. She's a worrier -- worrying about her parents while she's away and wonders how they're doing frequently.

Character Biography: Tucked into the woods of Arynn on the path towards Arlith is the Floros family inn where Phaena was raised by her parents, Evangelos and Desponia, as well as her deceased grandfather, Andreas. While her parents ran the inn, Andreas was teaching Phaena how to use a bow and brought her books to read. Her mother taught her how to cook and her father took her fishing. A few months after her grandfather passed away, Phaena left (see Motivation above.) The wall was the first place she visited and almost right away, she found a group that took her in. After spending a few weeks with the group, more than half of her gold was stolen. Not wanting to face them, she fled before they could do anything more. Alone, she became stronger and learned how to take better care of herself, then a mysterious new group appeared.

Anything else you think we should know?: Neutral Good. Worships the God Sarthen.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 04-11-2014 at 02:34 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

The Story Thus Far

The Starter QuestX

Since I was just talking about it further down the page, I thought I'd give a bit of intro!

Everyone except Rave: Finding yourself in need of money, you do what every adventurer in Arlith does when they long for the musical tinkle of gold in their pouch. You go to the Wall. There are many quests posted, from hunting dangerous beasts to acquiring rare artifacts to simple guard posts, but you're working solo at the moment and everything either looks a bit difficult for one person or involves traveling further than you can afford supplies for. Everything... except one in particular, that's not very far away. You consider it thoughtfully, and decide it will probably do.

Rave: (You special little lawkeeper, you ) Sergeant Silkears enters the staff room, looking around for anyone who doesn't seem occupied. Idle hands are his pet peeve, and he always likes to dump boring or unpleasant assignments on people he catches 'slacking off', even if that slacking only involves not looking busy enough. Everyone else must have heard him coming, because you're the one who gets caught this time as you stare out the window trying to remember how many 'f's are in 'kerfuffle' for the report you're writing. He marches straight for your desk and slams a flyer down onto the desk. Silkears sneers down his extremely long canine nose at you and barks, "It's disgraceful that this poor woman didn't think she could come to us about this. I expect you to remedy that by tomorrow, Constable Rave! I want this monster taken care of, and a full report on my desk!"

A tattered piece of parchment holds the carefully-legible scrawl of someone who isn't very comfortable with quill and ink. It says;

REWARRD OFERD
Too eny hiro wat kan git rid a the MONSTER wat ates mah peeches ever nite!
Sind, Widdo Harper
Harper Farum

You learn from the loiterers nearby that Harper Farm is about an hour's walk from the city, and that in their opinion Widow Harper is getting upset over a deer or a bird or possibly a plain boring sneak thief. It sounds like a simple, straightforward mission!

The party arrived at Widow Harper's farm, and found clues hinting pointing to the culprit being the Firebird-- a mythical creature from the mysterious Northlands. They set traps and spells, and have encountered the Firebird.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 12-23-2013 at 12:19 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Reserved

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 12-04-2013 at 05:08 PM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Reserved once more, just in case!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 AM

Am I alright to post here then?

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 AM

Yes, posting is open! We'll probably hold off a week or so before starting the game... I believe Ethos has exams eating up her time, and I'd hate to start without her. I'll try to keep this thread interesting by posting information about the world during the week, though!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 AM

I'm alright with holding off a week. I just wanted to get a post in here so it would add to my subscriptions xP

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 PM

Hopefully I remember to update Draza's equipment before I start playing Pokemon when I get home tonight.feel free to kick me I'd I don't.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 AM

Wyrmskyld: I got you an update hurr!!

Quote:
Character Name: Draza Pearlscale
Player Name: ~ Longcat ~
Character Description or Picture: Lizard folk are large, Draza is no exception, from snout to tail about 13 ft in length. Standing at roughly 6 feet, with slight stoop. Amber gold eyes, dark brown/green scales with a light pearling over them.
Race: lizardfolk
Class: cleric of Uothen
STR: 14 +2
INT: 9
WIS: 18 +4
CHA: 8 -1
CON: 14 +2
Speed: 6ft/sec walk. 18 ft/sec run
Encumbrance:Light Encumberance
Damage: spear 1d6 +2
Armor Class: 10 + 2 +1 = AC 13
Abilities: low light vision, underwater breathing, natural armor +1
Skills:
Medical: first aid, diagnostic, physician
Outdoor: wilderness survival, fishing
Scholarly: naturalist(herbology)
Thief: poison
Weapon: spear, unarmed
Social: Intimidate
Languages: Reptilian, common
Equipment:
Leather Armor 20lbs 200g
Modified Spear (shorter, second smaller spear tip. It's a fishing spear.) 4 lbs 50g 1d6 impaling Can be thrown
Net 0.5lbs 10g
Holy Symbol Neg weight 100g
First aid 2lbs 30g
Clothing 5lbs 10g
Personal Basics neg weight 5g
Small Bag 3lbs 60g - Can hold 40lbs
Pouch neg weight 10g - Can hold 3lbs

Equipment Weight: 34.5lbs
Gold: 25g (only started with 500)

Motivation: The home swamps are beginning to dry up, although they would never admit this to an outsider. Draza and several other clerics and shamans are out on clan quest to find a new suitable home large enough for their people. If this means they will have to fight off any current residences if said suitable lands...
Weakness: cold blooded; slow in cold climates.
Character Biography: tbd
Anything else you think we should know?: True Neutral. She enjoys meticulously brushing her teeth, her long sharp numerous teeth.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 AM

Thanks, ~LONGCAT~! I'll get it sorted now before I wade through all my subscriptions for the day. I've been distracted by a book today instead of distracted by the forums as I usually am.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 AM

Well I'll stay on for the next hour or so, to keep up with you guys as you come on line. How are our characters going to start? Where I guess is a question too?

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 AM

I'm just planning on Draza walking around maybe asking about nearby swamps.
Draza: YOU! Fleshy! Tell me where swamp is! NOW! I'm looking for family. Oh, fleshy gone floppy. No help. *tosses person aside*

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 AM

You'll all be starting in the city of Arlith, and... basically I'm railroading you all onto a quick shakedown mission so we can make sure we're on the same page gameplay-wise. As it mentions in post 4, there's a wall in Arlith that's covered with assorted quests. The first mission will be one where you all 'just happen' to answer the same advertisement. After that, I'll have several quests up at a time and you'll have to decide as a group which one(s) you want to tackle.

---------- Post added 12-10-2013 at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LONGCAT~ View Post
I'm just planning on Draza walking around maybe asking about nearby swamps.
Draza: YOU! Fleshy! Tell me where swamp is! NOW! I'm looking for family. Oh, fleshy gone floppy. No help. *tosses person aside*
Oh, dear. Draza's going to be trouble. :P

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 AM

She is a giant alligator. And I am going to have fun. I'll try not to get her killed early too.

One of my biggest problems with creating fun characters is I usually get them killed. I think I have three clerics, a bard, a mage, and a barbarian die in either the first or second session. XD
Actually I only have two that are surprisingly still alive. A cleric/inquisitor and a cleric/wizard. One extremely racist and currently a squirrel and the other has one arm and a giant pet bird, elephant size pack beast.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 AM

That sounds... entertaining! I... have actually never had a character die. I've done suicidal, stupid things, but somehow never died from them, and I don't think my DMs were being particularly merciful. Maybe the dice liked me? I do generally play healers or mages, so I'm back out of the action most of the time, but even playing a tank I never seem to take a lot of damage. *shrugs*

Oh! And everyone might want to check out the new edits to post 4 for a sneak peek at your first quest!

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 AM

I almost killed the entire party with my bard character not just myself. I used fairy fire on a giant man-eating plant monster and blinded the whole party instead of setting the monster on fire. I got etted.

I got torn apart by an unruly mob. I stood between a half-orc ranger and his target. I blew myself up with a magic item. I got trampled by a giant frog. And... I think I was just outright killed by my own party for making a drow.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 AM

I made a drow character once that I never got to play... she was an albino, and the plan was to have her go in disguised as an elf... But my cleric/tank never died like I kept expecting her to, even though everyone else in the party died at some point during that campaign. They only died when they separated from the group and I couldn't heal/tank for them, though.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 AM

I made two. One was a cleric of Aracne and was killed as soon as she revealed herself to the party. And the other was a shaman of the death god, super emo woe is me talks with ravens kind of character.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 04:13 AM

I... I think I probably would have killed the emo one. It's probably safer that way. :P

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 AM

Probably, because her motive was to find more (un)willing bodies for her god. XD She wasn't going to be a party fun character.
I make odd characters in general. More fun that way. So enjoy Draza, she'll be mostly normal except for being an alligator.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 AM

LONGCAT I was giggling to myself so much reading your posts about your unfortunate fates of your characters (chortling again) that I keep waking the missus up lol! She thought I was going mad