Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-19-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
I imagine it's lot of skin cells and dead ickiness, lol.
Ickiness just about sums it up yes

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-19-2023, 05:15 PM

So here's a question for y'all. I have this book about art history that I'm reading. Each set of pages has an overview paragraph, a timeline at the bottom, and maybe about 3 blurbs about specific pieces of art. I read about the first 50 pages completely and then decided it was going to take me ages to finish if I kept up that way and since it's a library book I do eventually have to return it. So anyway, now I'm only reading the main blurb and the timeline at the bottom but skipping the blurbs about specific artworks unless I find them especially interesting. Anyway, when I get to the end of the book this way, would you consider that I've read it? I'm not sure if I should include it on my reading list or not.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 03-19-2023, 05:37 PM

absolutely! it sounds like the blurbs are similar to footnotes, so they kinda count as supplementary to the actual text.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 03-19-2023, 11:20 PM

That reminds me of this otaku encyclopedia I'm in the middle of reading. I've only been reading the sections that interest me. I think it counts. X3

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-19-2023, 11:27 PM

I think what matters is if you consider you read it. I would say yes though

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 03-20-2023, 04:18 AM

I say count it.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-21-2023, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

So I finished the other French book I was reading last night "La Petite Fille de Monsieur Linh". The English title is "Monsieur Linh and His Child which" is not an exact translation because in French the title is "The little girl of Monsieur Linh" or "The little daughter of Monsieur Linh". The ending was sad. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in reading it (in English?) so I'll put spoilers below. Note these will be extreme spoiler spoilers so don't read if you plan on reading the book.

Monsieur Linh and His Child Plot SpoilersX

The book is about an old man who gets on a boat with his daughter's baby and leaves his country after a war leaves his village completely destroyed and the baby's mother dead. It doesn't say exactly where he is from but my guess is somewhere Asian, maybe Vietnam? Anyway, upon arriving in France, he is put up in a home for refugees. He meets another man in a park and they become good friends even though they don't understand each other's languages and can't really speak to one another. The old man is very proud and protective of the little baby and always takes very good care of her.

One day, the old man is taken to the doctor and sent to a new home which turns out to be an asylum for the elderly. It's around this point that I guess where this is going but I wasn't entirely sure until the end. Anyway, he doesn't understand why he is there with these other mentally ill people and not speaking the language, isn't able to converse with anyone. He wants to see his friend again so he manages to escape from the asylum with the baby girl and goes on a long journey through the city to try to find the park where he used to meet his friend. Remarkably his baby girl doesn't seem to be getting hungry, never cries, and never needs changing...

Anyway, beyond exhaustion, the old man finally finds the park and sees his friend but in his excitement, he doesn't check before he crosses the road (having grown up in a place where there aren't any cars). The old man realizes he's about to be hit and folds his body around the little girl to protect her...

Up to this point, the book was all told from the point of view of the old man however the last chapter is told by his friend. His friend goes to check the old man, thinking he is dead, and remarks that he is holding the DOLL that he always carried with him everywhere. The book ends with the man moving slightly and his friend telling him that the ambulance is coming.

So...anyway, it's very sad thinking about how much the old man lost, his family, his country, AND his sanity. He truly believes the little girl is all he has left and does everything in his power to care for her. Now, at the end of the book, after having read all the chapters from the seemingly stable point of view of the old man, you now have to question everything he did in the book from this new point of view knowing that his baby was in fact a doll.

Anyway, my nonspoiler review is that it was a very good book, and I enjoyed it even though it was sad. I think this story will stay with me for a long time.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-22-2023, 01:30 AM

Loving the Avi Ziggles!

Does it have an English translation? I have some french knowledge but its been like 18 years since I used it with any regularity

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 03-22-2023, 03:28 AM

I wish I was more awake. Not having the energy to read sucks.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-22-2023, 07:31 AM

@ Cora: The English translation is Monsieur Linh and His Child.

@ Kirin: I’m sorry, that sucks.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-22-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
@ Cora: The English translation is Monsieur Linh and His Child.

@ Kirin: I’m sorry, that sucks.
Then I wont read the spoilers just in case

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-22-2023, 06:18 PM

If you end up picking it up you'll have to let me know what you think!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 03-22-2023, 09:19 PM

Though the last couple days I've had to take anxiety meds. Those are wicked on the tiredness front.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-22-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
If you end up picking it up you'll have to let me know what you think!
It might be a while but I will!

Alorrena
eyyo!
Send a message via MSN to Alorrena

Old 03-23-2023, 11:08 PM

I don't have a book list, but i do plan on trying to read 50 books this year. So far i've only read 2 (working on my 3rd), so i'm quite behind. but i've read these 3 this month, so i'm sure if i find the right books i can catch up. Dang adhd dictating my reading... The books i've read/am reading is the scyth series by neil schusterman. It's a futuristic dystopian series that's really good. Heavy at points, but good.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-24-2023, 01:18 AM

I wish I could aim for 50, I'm too busy. I set my goal to 25-30 ish books this year. I'm nearing the end of my 6th.

Alorrena
eyyo!

Old 03-24-2023, 04:16 AM

I'm almost done with the 3rd, and then i have to figure out what else to read. I might reread superpowereds but idk yet.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 03-24-2023, 05:34 PM

I've been to exhausted to read

Alorrena
eyyo!

Old 03-25-2023, 01:15 AM

I don't really know what that's like, because reading is like an escape for me. I use reading to ignore everything that's exhausting, and sleeping for what i can't escape from. Probably unhealthy coping mechanisms, but eh.

I finished my 3rd book last night (stayed up until i finished it, with a fall guys break with my hubs and a couple friends, so i was up until like 8am.) and got a couple book recommendations from another friend. So now i have a couple series to read next.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-25-2023, 01:47 AM

Its a coping mechanism I am far too familiar with myself

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 03-25-2023, 04:32 AM

It just sucks cause I'll be so tired I end up having to reread a sentence multiple times just to have it make sense.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2023, 05:27 PM

I'm still working my way through that library book about art history. I'm up to the modern times with Picasso and whatnot so it's slightly more interesting now (in my opinion). Still torn on whether or not I'll count it on my list. I'm sort of a perfectionist so I still don't feel it entirely counts since I haven't read every single bit. @_@

I'm also listening to the audiobook The Secret Commonwealth. It's a sequel to the His Dark Materials books. It's a bit angsty but I'm mostly liking it so far.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-29-2023, 01:08 AM

So I have a random question, Do we count Manga as having read books? I read a lot of Manga in between my books

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 03-29-2023, 03:45 AM

I would count manga.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 03-29-2023, 04:45 AM

I count manga.
Speaking of, recommending Moriarty the Patriot.