Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM

You'd think with as many books as I've read over winter break I would have some suggestions for you, but I don't really. I've reread a few books though so not all of them were new ones. I can give you a list of all the things I've read recently though.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima (series not finished yet)
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Bossypants by Tina Fey

I read a lot of YA stuff, but currently I'm starting The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, which I've been meaning to read for forever.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Animal Farm is one of my favorites! I love Orwell. Have you read 1984? It's my all-time favorite book.

Was Bossypants good? I've been interested in it.

I've been reading a lot of YA too. I'm doing most of my reading before bed, and my brain just can't handle big words and complex concepts at that time, apparently. :lol: I read The Golden Compass, now I'm giving Harry Potter a reread. I haven't read any of the books since the week the 5th one came out. I have the 6th, but by the time I tried to read it I had forgotten so much from the previous books that it wasn't making much sense to me, and then I never got around to rereading the series until now. I'll have to buy the 7th, I never got that one.
After I finish that, I've got two John Green novels lined up (Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska), then I'm going to try stepping out of YA and read John Dies at the End by David Wong. Then I think I'm going to read Wicked. I've also got this that I really want to read, but every time I open it, my head swims for some reason. I don't know why, I'm just having issues, apparently. :lol: That's why I've been reading so much YA, to try to get me back into the reading groove. I also want to take a shot at the Otherland series, my mom's got it. I've tried before, but I've never gotten further than halfway through the first book. It's a really interesting series, but it's also... long winded and I kept losing interest. Hopefully this start-from-the-bottom-and-work-up approach I'm doing will mean I can finally tackle it by the time I get to it.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 01-02-2012 at 07:42 PM..

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 AM

I read Animal Farm in high school by choice but wasn't a huge fan.

I've always read a lot of Young Adult books. They have a lot more of the fantasy/adventure stores that I'm interested in. I read The Golden Compass in high school too and thought it was good. I didn't know about all the religious stuff about it until there was the big controversy when the movie came out. I've read through Harry Potter way too many times and am thinking about reading through them again when I get done with the Star Wars books I'm currently reading.

I hope you don't mind me butting into the conversation. ^^;

Vivian Christmas
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM

...That's a lot of digital pets... o.o'

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 PM

They're actually from a game that someone is running on here, they're not like those little eggs you click on.

Vivian Christmas
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Oh, my.

All those for one game? o.o

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Yep! It was a pokemon catching game. And now people are battling them but I don't really have time to participate in that segment of it.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 PM

It's been so long since I've played Pokemon, the most recent one I have is Crystal. I don't recognize most of those pokemon. :( I really want to get black or white sometime soon. Darn these games, costing money!

Also, no trouble at all adding to the book discussion, but I'm not really sure that I have anything to add to your post.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM

I never played Crystal myself. I have Pokemon Black but I haven't played all the way through it yet. I don't think it's as addicting as some of the other games. I keep putting it down and not picking it back up until months later. I like some of the changes they've made to the games, like being able to use TMs as many times as you want, but I absolutely hate that they've upped the encounter rate. It seems like every five steps I stumble into a wild Pokemon. It gets frustrating after a while. I never really felt the need to use that many repels in previous games but this one is driving me batty in that respect. V_V

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 PM

More encounters really aren't necessary. :gonk:

Which is your favorite pokemon game, then? HG and SS looked good, but I never got them or found a working ROM

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 PM

I really liked the original Gold and Silver games. I have gold but got it late and haven't really played through it much. I probably spent the most amount of time playing through Sapphire but I also really liked Yellow which was the first one I played. Diamond was pretty good too. Ho hum, there are so many to choose from! I guess I'd probably go with Sapphire because I really think I spent the most amount of time on that one.

How about you?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 PM

Crystal would probably be my favorite, it's the most recent that I have. I'd really like to get one of the ones for DS, the updated graphics are great.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
(low-res screen capture, but still)

What's your favorite starter? Cyndaquil is mine. I like fire starters, since early on in the game, you fight a lot of normal- and grass-type pokemon. It's a long time before you get to any water-types (so you have plenty of time to catch other pokemon that are better against them) and an even longer time before you have the opportunity to catch a fire-type for yourself, so strategically, they're a pretty good choice. I think so, at least. But if I get black/white it'll be really hard not to start with water type. Tepig is cute, but Oshawott is just adorable.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM

Yeah, they made a lot of good improvements to the new games and the graphics look especially good. The new box system is really nice too.

Hm... I used to go with fire pokemon a lot in the earlier games but these past few I've gone with the water pokemon because they're just so cute! I went with Oshawott in Black and Piplup in Diamond. I used Cyndaquil in Gold and Torchic in Sapphire. I pretty much never go with the grass Pokemon first so when I started playing the new gold I picked up Chicorita but it's gong to be replaced by another grass Pokemon I like better. I have my party all planned out for that one. ^^;