zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 AM

Click on thumbnail for full view

I got some new nail polish during a trip to the mall the other day and upon applying it, realized that it was matte (not shiny)! I was a bit surprised as I've never seen a polish like that before and I have to admit that I don't really like it. I put a clear glossy coat over top to make it shiny like the colors that I usually wear but it got me thinking that you might be able to do some neat effects with it (like in the picture above).

Has anyone else ever seen a polish like this before? What do you think of matte effect?

Also, feel free to stick around and discuss all things related to manicures, nail polish/lacquer, and nail art. I'd also love to see some pictures if anyone's willing to share!

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 09-18-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 AM

That's quite cool. I have to admit, at the moment I'm a little enamored of that "Shatter" nail polish that's around at the moment. It shrinks as it dries, and if you put it as a top layer, you can see the bottom layer showing through. It looks awesome.

lightkanna
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 AM

I think the matte effects of the nail polish looks cool, I want some of that. The shatter nail polish that Carzeebear: mention are actually cheap in walgreen though. I would want to try it but at the same time, I think it looks really weird. I'd like some art on my nails though. As shown in this picture, right there. ^^ I think that looks quite cool.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 AM

I work at Target, and apparently for several weeks now we've been selling out of nail art pens. They look so cool, I just might pick some up myself! I LOVE the idea of that matte polish. It'd be cool to do glossy white, with a curvy matte black line running through it. Fun fun.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-17-2011, 04:32 AM

I don't pain my nails but I love the nail art pens. You can get details on the nail you wouldn't be able to otherwise. I paint my sister's nails sometimes with them. She also likes that nail wallpaper stuff but I'm not personally a big fan of it.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 AM

I want to do my nails like that picture. Matte with shiny tips looks so nice.

I saw some mood nail polish that I think would be really nice. Though it doesn't look like you can see much of a difference in the shades.

Hamsterliciousness
Guinea Pig Life, Hamster Dreams

Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 AM

I really don't do my nails anymore because I don't have money/I keep forgetting to get a top coat. I also do dishes and other things where my nails go through lots of wear and tear, so my nail polish doesn't last that long. The stuff I have on right now, it's chipped all to hell. I can't even use those nails your glue onto your real ones, they always pop off in less then 2 days.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...
Send a message via AIM to Vix Viral Send a message via MSN to Vix Viral

Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 AM

I don't care for matte polish, it looks weird and rarely looks any good when used.

I have the crackle stuff in black and sliver and use it all the time.

An alternative for nail art pens are gel pens. They're MUCH cheaper!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 01:04 PM

i absolutely love the way it looks.
like a french nail tip that you can really see even though it is black.
i want to try that now!

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM

I'd love to do my nails like that, matte with a shiny tip looks really cool! Though I don't think I'd wear black, maybe in another colour. I haven't come across any nail polishes that are already matte before, only matte 'top coats'. What make did you buy that was a matte polish?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM

@ Luna: I didn't realize it was matte! The bottle wasn't labeled as such so I though it was just the usual shiny polish.

Those nail art pens have been out for a while now too. I think they look pretty cool but they're also really expensive so I haven't gotten one yet. I asked for one for Christmas but I got the wrong thing. It was like a "to go" nail polish pen meant for coloring in the whole nail, not for doing the detail work like I wanted and it was already dried up in the tube. >_< My mom got me a French manicure pen that works pretty well but I find it to be a bit too watery which makes it come out too fast and get all over the sides of my nails.

I've never tried the crackle though I think it looks pretty cool. That wallpaper stuff looks neat too but again, its expensive. I'm not really willing to pay more than $3 of so for nail polish. I'm not too sure about the mood polish though, it looks kind of weird though the idea of it is interesting.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 PM

I have a crackle polish and I don't know why I got it really, maybe just curiosity, but I don't like the look of it that much. With cool colours on nice, neat nails it looks fine but I don't neccessarily like it on myself.

zig: What brand was the Nail Polish?

I really recommend getting Konad Nail Art products. I have the travel kit (Small stamper, scraper, designs and white nail polish) and an extra design disc and polish. I bought them from a market on holiday and now I regret not buying the proper stampers rather than the travel size. It wasn't as expensive as it seems though, it is expensive if you want lots of designs. They are really eay to use and work wonders.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM

I looked at the crackle stuff the other day when I got that matte polish and thought about getting it but didn't. I've never tried it myself but it seems to look pretty cool on other people.

I got the polish from Hot Topic. I checked there first because I was looking for neon colors and I knew that store would have them.

I'll have to look up the kit you mentioned. I haven't heard of that brand before. If it looks cool maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas or something. I've been spending way too much money lately and that isn't like me so I've decided not to spend any more money than necessary on groceries and stuff for a month to save up for New York Comic Con next month. ^^;

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Ah, we don't have Hot Topic in the UK, otherwise I would have checked them out.

I'm low on money too, we've spent quite a bit but there are still loads of things that need spending on around the house. Why didn't I win the lottery last night? I need it!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM

From the way you talked I wondered if you were from the UK. It seems like it's mostly high school kids in Hot Topic anymore so I don't go in there often but sometimes I go in if I'm looking for something specific or just want to take a look.

I hardly ever spend money on myself, my fiance will testify to that, but since I moved last month I'm like a spendaholic! I bought a ton of books when I first got here and I've spent quite a bit of money on a trip to the mall not too long ago and some other things there in between. I have a job but it pays less than I'm used to so I've been pretty much spending most of my paycheck on groceries and stuff I don't need so my fiance and I both took vows not to spend any more money than necessary before the con. At least you seem to have good intentions on how to spend your money, I've been just wasting mine which is scary because that's not like me.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM

What made you think I was from here? Haha. Oh did I say 'colour'? Yeah I've heard of Hot Topic. Actually I'm not sure, there may be one in London. I hope you can get enough money saved up so you can have a good time! It's hard not to spend money when there are so many nice things around to buy. I guess the internet doesn't help since you can pretty much look up anything that's in the shops or new or on a sale.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 05:09 PM

"At the market on holiday" was what did it for me. In the US we don't usually say "on holiday" but rather "on vacation" and "at the market" if I understand how you're using it correctly would be "at the store" or something similar. To US here a market is usually more of an open-air thing you go to outside with produce and antiques, or at least that's what I usually think of when I hear that word even though we call big grocery stores supermarkets.

I went to London for five days when I studied abroad. It was really expensive for me there because of the exchange rate though. >.<

I think for the problem is that where I used to live there really wasn't anywhere around to go shopping or find anything really nice to buy but here there are more shops so there are more opportunities to buy things. I'm not super low on funds, I could still afford to go to the con without saving up but I want to cut this spending kick before it turns into a habit. >.< There are plenty of cool things to buy online but I tend to not get stuff there unless I really want something because I hate to pay shipping.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Of course, vacation/holiday! And I did actually mean a market, like an open air - stalls. I was really surprised to see Konad products being sold, but there was a stall with them on. The market had mostly jewellery. Stores for you would be 'Shops' for us. We have supermarkets, though we wouldn't say grocery stores.

I think it's really expensive for us in your currency, so I thought it might be the other way round for you haha!

Where have you moved to? Is it far from where you lived?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 05:49 PM

Yep, LOL! Ah, I wasn't sure exactly about the market. I've been to a few markets like that but I don't think we usually call it that here. We do use "shops" sometimes but usually that's reserved for smaller stores, usually in a strip on the main street that are original, not part of a chain of stores. Grocery stores doesn't seem like a very British term. *Nods*

I remember when I went at least that one pound cost me more like $1.50! It wasn't equal at all. I'm not sure what it is now but I assumed it was the same, it might have changed more in favor of American dollars since hten.

I used to live in Cattaragus county on the flat line of the map and I just moved down to Suffolk county which is down on the island.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 PM

The only other polish I've seen lately that's kind of strange is that crackle effect polish, which looks pretty neat. I'd love to try it, but I hardly wear polish on my fingers. But the stuff you got looks pretty cool, in the picture at least. I'd love to try that out too! :P

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM

The picture is one I found online, not my own. I got hot pink myself. Out of all the matte colors I've seen I think the black looks best though.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-18-2011, 12:59 AM

Do you guys call Shatter, Crackle? That's a cute name for it.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 AM

I've never heard it called shatter before actually! What area are you from?

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 AM

I'm from New Zealand. We're a bit different.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 AM

Oooh, I've always wanted to go there but I doubt I'll ever make it.

I like your avi by the way.. ^_^