salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM

Salvete's Recipe Journal

I love learning new recipes so much that I wanted a place where I could keep a record of my favorite recipes, while also being able to share them with the rest of Menewsha if they are also interested in making these delicious-looking meal and dessert items. Please enjoy! And this journal is also open to posting, so feel free to let me know if you also like these recipes and would try or have tried making them yourself!

Last edited by salvete; 07-07-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM

Recipe: Samoa Ice Cream Cake

This Samoa Ice Cream Cake recipe by yoyomax12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IA1Bh1nrCc looks absolutely scrumptious! It seems to be a slightly harder-seeming recipe than I am used to because it involves quite a lot of ingredients and steps to it, but I guess it is still fairly simple to make. I really wonder how it tastes because I love samoa cookies so much, both the ones from Keebler and the ones from the girls scouts. I just love the caramel, coconut, and cookie combination. And although yoyomax12 has never tried a real samoa cookie (although I think she really should try to get her hands on a real one to actually know how it tastes), she does a good job of interpreting how to approach a specific recipe. I highly recommend her channel because she is always honest about how things turn out with her cooking and baking, plus there are a lot more yummy recipes where this came from!

Last edited by Symphony of the Night; 07-08-2016 at 02:07 AM..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-08-2016, 02:07 AM

Recipe: Fourth of July Desserts

Here are some adorable DIY July 4th Treats by Rosanna Pansino! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97p1ViKDau8. The ones she made in this video are Rice Krispies Fruit Kabobs, 4th of July Sprinkle Cones, and Banana Custard Cream Pie. These are perfect for the Fourth of July holiday weekend with simple red, white, and blue desserts for everyone to enjoy! I think they are super cute and easy to make, especially the ice cream cones where you basically just dip them into things and voila, you can just add ice cream to them and enjoy. The pie takes a bit more work, and the skewers of course require some assembly too. But those are all things you can ask a younger family member or friend to help out with!

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-08-2016, 02:17 PM

Recipe: Fried Chicken Sandwich

Here, we have the recipe for The Very Best Fried Chicken Sandwich recipe by Bon Appétit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsAGMYXEYg. Fried chicken, plus cole slaw and bread and butter pickles...it sounds soooo yum. It looks fairly simple to make but is also just slightly more advanced than in the previous post because it involves frying the chicken. But once all that is done, most of it is just assembling things. I guess you could buy the cole slaw from somewhere premade, or you can make it yourself too. I especially appreciated that they decided to go with bread and butter pickles because those are my favorite, along with the traditionally salty ones.

Last edited by Symphony of the Night; 07-08-2016 at 07:15 PM..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 AM

Recipe: Smashed Cucumber Salad

Bon Appetit made a Smashed Cucumber Salad recipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6ObqEMyiE which again seems fairly simple. However, you have to physically smash the cucumber and pull it apart and whatnot. But after that, it is just mixing in a bunch of ingredients together before enjoying this treat! Specifically, scallions and salt, vinegar, sesame seeds, and chili oil for seasoning. It sounds like a very refreshing salad. I love eating cool cucumber in the summer, especially when it comes from my very own backyard. And of course, a cucumber slice on each eye helps add to the relaxation.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Recipe: Pokemon Ice Cream

In honor of the release of Pokemon Go, which is a super fun app that a ton of my friends are playing, various Youtubers are making Pokemon-themed videos, including adorable-looking Pokemon-themed treats!! Rosanna Pansino, for example, made these Pokemon Ice Cream Cones with Kurt Hugo Schneider on her show NERDY NUMMIES! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT_IgywWNQc. They are so cute, and I did not know that you could make waffle cones so easily just by making a thin waffle and rolling it into a cone until it hardens. I do not own a waffle maker, or I would definitely try this out.

Last edited by Symphony of the Night; 07-09-2016 at 04:16 PM..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Recipe: Elfstone Lollipops

The next recipe is this creative way to make Elfstone Lollipops from the Shannara Chronicles. It is from the show NERDY NUMMIES by Rosanna Pansino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-JwXa0-WM and details how to make and shape a food-safe mold, then use jolly ranchers to make a cool lollipop inspired by the Shannara Chronicles! It seems so easy to use Jolly Ranchers to make your own lollipop, and I wonder why I had never thought of it before. Because I knew that you could melt chocolate and pour it into molds to reshape them, and I also know that you can take starburst candies and warm them up in the microwave so that they become soft enough to mold into other things as well.

Last edited by Symphony of the Night; 07-09-2016 at 04:16 PM..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 04:17 PM

Recipe: Watermelon Rice Krispie Treat Pops

This super cute and easy recipe is How to Make Watermelon Rice Krispie Treat Pops by kawaiisweetworld! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiZdCV-UiUQ&index=67. This is, again, super simple. It is basically the classic butter, rice krispies, and marshmallow recipe for rice krispie treats, but with some pink and green food coloring, a popsicle stick, and some shaping and cutting to make them look like watermelon slices. Oh, and some optional chocolate chips to make them look like watermelon seeds! As cute as this is, I think I will just stick with regular rice krispies because I don't have any food coloring lying around in my house right now. Plus I don't mind getting my hands a little sticky while eating these gooey delicious delights.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Recipe: Melting Ice Cream Cupcakes

Here is the recipe for Melting Ice Cream Cupcakes なんちゃって 溶けてる アイスクリーム カップケーキ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNmz29ZqmIc by Hey! It's Mosogourmet!! あっ、 妄想グルメだ!I would say this recipe is slightly harder than a couple of the other ones I have posted so far because it involves actual baking, but it is still relatively simple. You basically just bake cupcakes inside an ice cream cone instead of in a cupcake wrapper, then you drip melted frosting and sprinkles on top to make them look like melting ice cream! Yum yum! They are meant to look quite messy, but they are delicious just the same!

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 PM

Recipe: No-Bake Patriotic Cheesecake

This No-Bake Patriotic Cheesecake recipe comes from POPSUGAR Food's Eat the Trend video series! At first, I expected that it would just be a regular cheesecake with some decorations on top, similar to what I expected from Rosanna Pansino's Fourth of July version of the cheesecake, but was pleasantly surprised to see some creative twists in their recipe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM6Cw8QF3d4 First, it was really creative how they used Special K Red Berries cereal for the crust, like whaaaat I didn't expect them to make their own crust out of cereal! But you can really just add some butter and salt to crushed cereal to make a real pie crust! Wowzers! And they also made their own filling, which has some lemon zest in it. And to finish off, the cheesecake is decorated with sliced strawberries to give a pop of red color, blueberries to add some blue hues, and dipped strawberries in patriotic red, white, and blue melted candy melts, topped with sprinkles! I love how fancy it turns out, yet it is so simple to make!

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 11:36 PM

Recipe: DIY Watermelon Treats

Here are some adorable watermelon-themed treats from Rosanna Pansino! Summertime is the perfect season for watermelon-eating <3 Also, I love Rosanna Pansino's Youtube channel, which is why I will be including lots of her recipes (as well as those of other favorite Youtubers) in my recipe journal :D Anyway, this recipe includes Watermelon Sugar Cookies, Watermelon Cupcakes, and Watermelon Popsicles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEfslHzgANw Granted, the sugar cookies in this recipe are actually for regular sugar cookies, except that she decorated the tops of each cookie with various color icings to make them look like watermelon slices. But they are still super cute. On the other hand, the watermelon cupcakes involve watermelon jell-o, so at least they will taste somewhat like artificially-flavored watermelon. And lastly, the watermelon popsicles use real watermelon puree, so they will taste exactly like watermelon! Well, at least the pink part of the popsicle will. The white and green parts of the bottom of the popsicle will taste like coconut because they are made from coconut milk.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-09-2016, 11:52 PM

Decoration: Icing Tip 100

In addition to recipe videos, I also watch a ton of decorating videos on Youtube. So I think I would like to include some entries in my journal about how to decorate cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. This entry is about Icing Tip #100. For those who are unfamiliar with icing tips, they are basically what they sound like. When you want to ice a cake or cupcake, you can put tips on the piping bag, so that the icing comes out in different shapes :D Wilton made a great video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze3DlKgcu0A with eight different ways -- including flowers, various stripes, and patterns reminiscent of ruffled banners -- to use Tip 100 for patriotic-looking cupcakes, but of course the possibilities are endless!

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 AM

Recipe: DIY Watermelon Keg

Speaking of watermelon in the summertime, I thought this was a cute idea by Hey! It's Mosogourmet!! あっ、 妄想グルメだ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtS...t=WL&index=137. It is a watermelon keg! It is super simple, although it looks like it requires quite a bit of work. Luckily, the family in the video all worked together to accomplish this DIY. You basically slice off the top of a watermelon, enough so that you can easily scoop out the entire inside of it. You then drill a big enough hole into the bottom half of the watermelon to insert a spigot, which you can turn on and off to allow and disallow flow, respectively. Then, you separate the seeds from the rest of the watermelon and puree it. I usually buy seedless watermelons, which helps because then you would not have to separate the seeds and can have one fewer step in this process. But anyway, you puree the watermelon and pour it into your homemade watermelon keg. Then, you can open the spigot so that the watermelon puree spills into a glass and voila! A fun way to enjoy a yummy refreshing drink! :D I don't know if they mentioned this in the video (as I do not understand Japanese), but I would probably chill the watermelon puree in the fridge before serving so that it tastes even more yummy and refreshing.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Recipe: Giraffe Print Bread

I thought this recipe was super cool. Giraffe Print Bread! yoyomax12 is the first and only person I know who has made this recipe, so I am not sure how unique it is, but it sure looks awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZFKNImTJBE I can imagine making this as a wonderful surprise for someone :) Since from the outside, it just looks like regular bread. It is basically just bread with a few extra steps to make the brown giraffe-like spots, and I imagine that maybe there is a faint chocolate flavoring since she used cocoa powder to color those parts brown. You get the surprise once you slice into it! :D

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Recipe: Chocolate Turtle Cookies (Caramel Thumbprint Cookies)

And while I am talking about yoyomax12, I thought I would also make an entry for this recipe I really love, which is for Chocolate Turtle Cookies (Caramel Thumbprint Cookies)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czX_...dex=22&list=WL The basic gist of this recipe is that it is a delicious chocolate cookie with some nut and chocolate chip toppings, and with an "thumbprint" indentation in the center for a caramel filling. yoyomax12 calls them both chocolate turtle cookies -- because they are reminiscent of chocolate turtles that have chocolate and nuts in them -- and caramel thumbprint cookies -- because these cookies contain a pool of caramel inside their indentation made by a human thumb.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Recipe: Giant Two-Ingredient Banana Nutella Popsicle

Okay here is a recipe that I have actually semi-tried before. But, it did not work out 100% as intended. So this is a recipe by the Youtuber Hey! It's Mosogourmet!! あっ、 妄想グルメだ!and she calls this recipe the Banana Nutella 2-Ingredient Ice Cream in a Pringles Container! Giant Popsicle 材料2つでジャイアント・アイスキャンディー - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6-D...dex=16&list=WL. Now this is certainly extremely creative. I would never have thought to use a Pringles container to help make a gigantic popsicle, so kudos to her for thinking of that idea! The part that did not work out well for me was the nutella banana ice cream part, so I did not even try making a gigantic popsicle. I think a lot of us have tried, or at least heard of, banana ice cream. You basically freeze bananas, then throw them into the blender. And voila! Banana-flavored and the consistency of ice cream! But that's the thing -- what I made was the consistency of ice cream and did not seem like it would stay in a solid popsicle shape. So...I ate the banana ice cream by itself, and it was very delicious.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Decoration: Latte Art

Continuing the idea of having food decoration tips in this journal in addition to recipes, here are some Travel-Inspired Latte Art by POPSUGAR Food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqx...dex=14&list=WL. I think it is really cool how they use not only coffee to add designs to the latte, but also food dyes to make super colorful and detailed artwork of all sorts of places such as the Golden Gate Bridge, Big Ben, the Statue of Liberty, and the Colosseum. They load up the color on this metal tip thingamajig and then draw their creation on the foamy milk on top of the latte so that the colors appear bright and vibrant on the white background. I imagine that the colors would not come out as well if they were trying to do it on the normally brown colored background of just the coffee, which is why they make sure to have a thick enough canvas of white foamy milk before adding the colorful decorations. But anyway, I thought this was very cool and pretty and a great idea for latte art that I had not thought of before or seen anywhere else so thought to share it here :D

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-19-2016, 03:44 AM

Recipe: Fondant Fox Cake

I thought this cake idea was absolutely adorable. It is a super easy fox cake by Wilton made from fondant. All you need is a cake, that you can bake as a square or cut into a square shape, and fondant! You dye the fondant into three different colors - white, black, and orange or brown (depending on what color you want to make the fox). Then, you simply use that fondant to cover the cake and cut it into different shapes to make the fox's body fur, tail, ears, and eyes. I love when a design is so simplistic but turns out to be so cute. It seems very easy and quick to make and would be perfect for a child's birthday party. Or well, even an adult's birthday party if they like foxes! And kids could even help with making the decorations.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 PM

Recipe: No Bake Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake

This no-bake recipe for a strawberry shortcake cheesecake was made by Elise Strachan of MyCupcakeAddiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfSp...st=WL&index=40. It is super simple, with just a few ingredients! The base is made from crushed shortbread cookies and butter, pressed into the cheesecake pan. And the filling is just heavy whipping cream, white chocolate, and cream cheese. On top, she decorated with strawberries and jello. I really liked that she suggested sorting the strawberries so that the larger ones could be arranged on the outside edge of the cheesecake, with the smaller strawberries in the middle. It makes a ton of sense, and it's the first time I heard of this trick. I have watched many other cheesecake videos, and people usually just arrange the strawberries on top randomly, I also loved that I learned something new from this recipe, which is that berries start to rot after you wash them. Whaaat no wonder after I rinsed my strawberries, they would slowly start to form like a fuzzy white layer on the outside if I didn't eat them immediately.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-25-2016, 02:32 AM

Recipe: Giant Ice Cream Sandwich

I thought this was awesome, haha. POPSugar's Eat the Trend show turned one of their older recipes, the Cookie Cake, into a gigantic ice cream sandwich, and it looks amazingly delicious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttzm...st=WL&index=17. Doesn't that look absolutely scrumptious *drools* I think this would be a perfect homemade birthday cake for anyone who loves chocolate chip cookies, cakes, ice cream, and especially all of those together <3 What is great about this idea is that it is also totally customizable! So even though they made a chocolate chip cookie cake with vanilla ice cream in this recipe, it can definitely be changed up to have, for example, a chocolate cookie with chocolate fudge or mint ice cream instead!

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 10-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Recipe: Giant Hello Kitty Cupcake

This Giant Hello Kitty Cupcake by kawaiisweetworld is really adorable <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV7R...ex=138&list=WL I love that she gives us a chocolate cake recipe instead of just teaching us how to decorate the cupcake. The thing about this recipe is that you need the silicone mold to make the giant cupcake shape. But I guess it can be used for just regular sized cupcakes too :) She uses the same trick that I have seen many Youtubers use, which is to add some coffee to the recipe. The final cake does not end up tasting like coffee; this ingredient is just to enrich the chocolate flavor.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 11-06-2016, 06:53 PM

Decoration: Hibiscus Flower Cupcake <3

See how they frost a really pretty Hibiscus Flower decoration on a cupcake! <3 I imagine that this technique can also be used to make flowers for a cake as well. And you can switch out the frosting for multi-colored petals!

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 11-07-2016, 02:34 AM

Recipe: Super Spicy Curry

This looks so delicious and just a tad (okay, VERY) painful because of how much spiciness they've added to the dish. Anyway, if you can take the heat and loooove curry, this is a recipe for Super Spicy Curry, inspired by a dish seen in Kirby <3 I used to watch that show all the time, and I have Kirby toys and video games to boot! So I definitely appreciate the inspiration behind this recipe. I personally prefer my curry not to be too, too spicy, but I guess I can just follow this recipe without being too generous with the spiciness *nods*

Last edited by Symphony of the Night; 11-07-2016 at 03:33 AM..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 11-08-2016, 01:24 AM

Decoration: Spiderweb Cake

This video shows how to decorate a very cool spiderweb cake! I know it's a little late for Halloween now, but I had this on my Watch Later list and was just able to sit down and watch it today. Anyway, this is awesome! It's the first time I have ever heard of or seen this decoration idea being done. And it's super easy, too! Basically, you melt spider webs and use your own hands to stretch it out and drop it over the cake! They also show how to make chocolate spiders to add on top, although of course those are optional. I think the cake with just the spiderwebs is already cool-looking enough, but the spiders are a nice touch! (Note: this video does not show an actual cake being made. Just the decoration part of it.)

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 AM

Recipe: Mac and Cheetos Sticks