Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM

I've suddenly found myself surrounded by babies!
One of my childhood friends recently gave birth to an adorable little boy, and two days later her sister had a baby too. Now I found out that my old college roommate is due in October. I want to give all of them something wonderful, so that means - Homemade baby quilts!

Now I just have to figure out what patterns and styles to sew.

I'll be using this thread to share photos of adorable potential quilts, fabrics and everything related to this process. And if you have any ideas to share with me, let me know! I'm definitely going to need help deciding on which patterns I make. There are billions of ideas out there and they're all so cute.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM

Ideas so far:
[Click each image for the link!]

Full size quilts:

Smaller/Easier Patterns:

Cherish
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-26-2014, 05:46 PM

This is such a sweet idea, and very generous of you!
Out of the ones you've shared so far, I think the mushroom quilt is my favourite, but they're all cute- I like nice, brightly coloured things for babies.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Bright colors and cute animals seem like a sure-fire hit!

Right now, I'm leaning towards the rainbow quilt for project #1. It's just a matter of finding the right fabric for it. That'll be a lot of colors to buy at once, so as long as I can pick up a few fat quarters without making it too expensive, I think that quilt will be pretty manageable.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Oh hey, that one with the insideout seams is one I'm intending to make at some point before I die! lol. You might remember me mentioning it before, think I'll ever get around to it?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM

The rag quilt? Yeah, that's one of those quick-and-easy projects that will probably end up being neither quick nor easy.

But if I run out of time, at least one of the baby quilts will be done in that style. It's a bit faster than traditional quilting.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM

I still have that rag quilt bookmarked from you jelly! But I think your choice of rainbow quilt is great, Knerd - I don't often see that one so it should make for a more unique gift. :)

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 PM

So I completely forgot about this thread.

My childhood friend and her sister both got matching chevron style quilts - Blue and yellow for one baby, Green and yellow for the other. I forgot to take pictures, though! I was so excited to finish them that I pretty much ran to their house afterwards and handed them over.

But I'm not going to make that mistake twice! I just bought the fabric for my old roommate's baby quilt and I'm excited to start on it:

The jungle pattern will be the backing, and now I just have to figure out how I want to arrange the blocks on the front.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM

Ah! My old roommate wasn't due until Halloween, but she just had her baby yesterday!

I've got all the pieces cut out, now I just have to actually sew everything together. I guess I'm making this quilt in double-quicktime.