Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:34 AM

I always think it's nice to either read a book or watch a movie in its original language, since anything else just takes away the spark. I guess that's the reason I rather watch anime without even understanding what they're talking about then watcing it dubbed in english.

I guess watching so much anime prompts me to learn Japanese to some degrees, though I'm perfectly fine with speaking only the current languages I speak, being trilingual's good enough for me. =]

Prinny God
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 AM

Not really... even though it would certainly come in handy >.>;... I'm just too lazy. Since translated manga and subtitled versions of anime are readily available, I never really had the incentive to learn it ^^.

Sassandra
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 PM

As a matter of fact, yes it does. now if i could buy the program for my computer or afford the classes at college...but actually, i've learned a few insults in japanese from watching a few anime. plus a waiter i had once was teaching me more insults at dinner once too.(can't remember them now)

iGeek
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to iGeek Send a message via MSN to iGeek

Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 PM

• Around a few of my friends, I throw in Japanese words just for kicks. xD But I'd never be able to learn the language, no matter how beautiful it is. Just... too much.

Hellsing, though, encouraged me to learn German. o.o I'm quite serious.

Lulu
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Lulu

Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 AM

• Not at all. Sure it'd be nice to know Japanese but I feel I can do more productive things with my time, and I'm not quick to catch on to different languages, it's be too much wasted time and effort.

Youn
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM

The reason I took classes in Japanese was actually because I figured it was as close to learning Korean I'd ever come in high school.
It wasn't until later on that I found that it helped my interest in manga a lot echonomically(?) when I learned to read hiragana and katakana since original volumes here are about one third of the price of the imported translated ones. XD
So no, I didn't start learning Japanese because of my interest in manga and anime but reading manga has helped me remembering a lot since I stopped studying it at school, especially now when I don't have time to take any extra classes.

I try to read Korean manwhas and watch dramas too sometimes but even though I can read and pronounce Korean, I cannot understand what it means, so I'm pretty lost there. I studied it when I was about 12 but can't remember much because I had no one to practice it with.

Freya Sui
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Yes! xD I am learning it, or trying anyway. I really need to find a class >3<
And it's because of anime that I want to go to Japan, so that also makes me want to learn it! :3

Ariadne1niwa

Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 PM

I can't really say that manga inspired me to learn Japanese... but (like for example Ouran High School Host Club) I love reading it and wanted to watch the episodes, but could only find it in japenese with english subtitles :roll: , so I just watched it that way, and after a while found myself understanding a couple of the words and being able to categorize most of them correctly into kiego (formal) and um... well, not-keigo.

I'm not very good, but still.... -_-;;;;

Queen Fool
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Queen Fool

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM

I wanted to take Japanese anyway, because I find Spanish (what I'm required to take until highschool) incredibly easy and therefore boring. I'm taking Japanese next year, and hopefully all through HS, because I really want to learn such a difficult language.

Most of the people that take it are anime/manga freaks (I'm a fan, but not obsessed like many of they are), though.

PandaLemons

Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 AM

Watching a lot of anime and reading manga has made me want to learn Japanese. But I mainly wanted to learn japanese because I like the japanese fashion that people wear in Harajuku.

Anahita
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 PM

I don't know if it encourages me directly. But I do find myself understanding words and small sentences without reading subtitles now. Also, I have a slight understanding of the two simpler Japanese alphabets (I used to stare at Japanese manga to look at the art.. I think I picked up the language a little too haha).

Zombie Secks
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Zombie Secks Send a message via MSN to Zombie Secks

Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 PM

• Nope, I don't want to learn japanese or any asian lang.

I'm going to be learning French next year along with sign.

b e y o n d
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 02:12 AM

• I guess you could say that it encouraged me...

I've wanted to learn Japanese all my life, but anime and manga gave me a reason - I'm currently studying Japanese at university because I want to become a translator of anime or manga. ^w^

Mizukage Senjiin
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Mizukage Senjiin

Old 10-14-2007, 02:44 AM

yeah, I always wanted to learn japanese but it's hard. o_o. the speaking part is easy enough for me but it's the writing and reading that gets me. I can't remember all the characters. My school had a japanese class but they cut it to help fund the sports department. :roll:

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 AM

if i want to learn Japanese. it would be because i want to watch and read anime/manga

i would like to learn it. to try and add a language for myself. i also want to add Spanish and French.

just to know that i am capable of it.

nike13
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 AM

It is anime's fault that I started learning Japanese but I've found that it would also help my career if I learned it too since Computers and Japan seem to go together very well. Korean and Chinese would also be good but Japanese sounds nicer to me (the language, not just because I would be able to get cheaper anime/manga faster).

~Lonely_Sakura~

Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 PM

I always wanted to learn Japanese even before starting to watch anime. I just never did because I was just to lazy. Anime just gave me a little push to start learning it, so I can actually watch some anime in Japanese that isn't subbed. I get tired of reading comments on how some of the subs are wrong and everything.

Jimpi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-14-2007, 11:24 PM

It hasn't really encouraged me... But it has helped me learn some Japanese. Like Momiji's song. I can now sing it and translate for people! Huzzah!! LOL
And then I'm learning OHSHC's theme song. It's so catchy x3

Toasty` Veggie

Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 AM

I've wanted to learn Japanese for quite a long time now, and I think I have to admit that being interested in anime/manga as a young child is really what spurred my intrest in learning the language. <33

I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for about four years now [It's yeilded only a small amount of results, sadly. I don't practice enough.] and Japanese is actually a part of the career I plan to go into.

I'm planning on teaching English to students in Japan! ^w^ I'm only 15 now, so I've got a few years before college, but I pretty much know what I've got to take and what not. :3

Takuto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Takuto Send a message via MSN to Takuto

Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 PM

I always tried but I always remember what my mom says, it takes a whole childhood to learn an Asian Language! (I speak Vietnamese!)

It must be hard since there are so many rules and stuff! (no one they don't have the course in some schools.) I always wanted to learn but I don't think I have the patience for it! XD

neon666
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM

sure does me and a load of mates might be taking martial arts because of it
and a mini Japanese class after it lol

call it obsessive if you want
i love japan can you blame me rocks compared to england

loveiswhatilack
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 PM

Yes. Maybe. In someways, yes.
But, I don't really know why,
I've just loved the japanese culture
for a long time, and I've always wanted to
try speaking Japanese.

Yeah LOL.
I'm weird that way.
:B

Yuu
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Sort of, but I'm learning Japanese because I want to go to Japan and experience the culture :'3 Also, I like to write in Japanese and it sounds nice n__n

Kyoko Otonashi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM

I guess it's kind of been encouragement for me, but the primary reason is because i would like to do some work over there. Plus i enjoy learning languages. My boyfriend speaks Japanese fluently. I all ready speak 3 languages, so i want a 4th! :D

Mimi Lara
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Nope for me it was opposite....knowing Japanese lead me to watch anime/read manga. My mother is Japanese and my father is Irish but we live in america...however I have many things about me from both cultures.