• Join Us

Lost in Austen
  • Challenge Lost in Austen in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 05:51 AM

I hate watchin it on youtube, too, but sometimes its the only way. not even any of the local libraries get DW. =<

o/t: yes, its Gaelic. and it means "With Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year" :)

ljosberinn
  • Challenge ljosberinn in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 05:56 AM

Yeah, libraries here don't have Doctor Who either.. though I have the box sets with all the new series and they wouldn't have this year's specials anyway.

Oh, awesome. I love Gaelic. When I visited Scotland for the first time a few years ago, I fell in love with the language - I hadn't really known it at all before, but you could see it every now and then there on signs and stuff. It just looks so beautiful. Difficult to find anywhere to learn it though.. I bought a small dictionary and a little beginner's learning book with hilarious little comics. But I never really got anywhere with it, and it was a bit difficult because I didn't have anything to listen to, to hear how it's pronounced. Only word I can remember is 'failté', which means welcome, I think?

Also, your avatar is adorable. :3 How have you been?

Lost in Austen

Old 12-26-2009, 05:59 AM

Yes, I believe it does. But my siggie is actually in Irish Gaelic, which is slightly different.
hehe, I really wish my name was Aoife, which is pronounced EE-fah (its the Irish version of Eva, I guess)

Thankoo! ^^ I see youve got a nice wint'ry avvie there yourself. It's great!

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 06:15 AM

Yeah it is.. no idea what the actual difference is though, hah. The pronunciation is so weird! The book I bought had a pronunciation guide, but I couldn't read phonetics at the time and I've mostly forgotten the phonetics I learned now, so I had to go buy their explanations of the sounds. As the sounds are mostly stuff you don't hear in English, it was quite difficult to realise what they were talking about, so I'm not sure I get all of it correctly. :/ You really need some sort of audio teaching material when learning Gaelic..

Thanks, I thought maybe my other one was a bit too.. aggressive for a festival of light and peace and rising sun, so I decided a change was in order. Something a bit colder, to suit the outside temperature better. :P

Gosh, staying up for much longer is sounding like a worse and worse idea. But I was drinking coke at my friend's and been eating sugary things and I'm still all hyped up, haha.

Shimawa_zen
  • Challenge Shimawa_zen in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 04:53 PM

Ooh I might have found The End of Time on YouTube! *has difficulty with self-control to wait until sister wakes up so we can watch it together* >.>

I like to watch series in binges too - much more fun than one episode at a time. But for some things it just takes too long for enough episodes to come out for a binge. I don't really mind being a bit slow to catch on to new series either - gives me time to decide if something is worth the time investment or not. Besides, lots of American shows aren't very good so I have a tendency to hunt down shows from other countries instead.

Gaelic - nice! That would be a fun language to learn! It's probably not one I'll get to in the near future, but we'll see about someday. At the moment I'm juggling Chinese, Japanese, and French, and getting tempted by Hindi and Sanskrit, so I've got my hands full @.@

Lost in Austen

Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Alright! *breaks down and goes to watch EoT on youtube* I cant take this waiting anymore!!! :<

KatMagenta
  • Challenge KatMagenta in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 PM

I was lucky enough to be able to record EoT yesterday and watch it later in the evening. I can't wait for New Year now.

They offer Gaelic courses at my university (Glasgow) but they're more aimed at people who already know a little. :/

Lost in Austen

Old 12-26-2009, 06:28 PM

@Kat: so not many people speak it anymore in Scotland? I heard that in Ireland, a lot of courses are still available, even though English is the main language in both countries.

KatMagenta

Old 12-26-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm not Scottish myself so I couldn't really say, especially since it's such a multicultural city. I think it's still pretty widely spoken in the Highlands.

sandalaphon
  • Challenge sandalaphon in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 PM

I saw the Doctor Who special of Nevermind the Buzzcocks last night and it was so funny. I love listening to David Tenant when he's got his scottish on.

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 06:56 PM

From what I gathered from when I was in Scotland and from my ex-boyfriend, who is Scottish, it is taught a little in primary schools but most people don't care much for it so they never learn it well enough or keep in practice. He knew a fair bit, but I don't think he was fluent or anything. Possibly mainly for lack of people to talk to in it.
I want to learn Gaelic and Welsh, as well as a whole bunch of other languages. I used to be such a language buff, but I don't really have much time for it anymore. And I'm getting real rusty in the languages I already know. Not good. :/

Also, I really need to check out Nevermind the Buzzcocks, I've never seen it. *scours the intrawebs*

KatMagenta

Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 PM

I've always been terrible with languages (stereotypical English person who can only speak English). Generally I can remember enough phrases to not have to resort to pointing and shouting but if I try to learn it just doesn't go in. :/

I think NMTB is funny, it's interesting now with the guest hosts. Simon Amstell was alright but he could never be as good as Mark Lamarr.

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 PM

At least you can speak really good English, Kat. It always makes me sad when I see people who only know one language but even that language they can't seem to speak or write without butchering it completely.

I found the Doctor Who special of NMTB, so I will check that out at least. Shame I can't seem to find very many torrents for it other than that one though, do you know anywhere I can watch old episodes?

KatMagenta

Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 PM

I've been away eating, my mum made sandwiches. Be thankful you've never heard my spoken English; I'm Northern as 'owt.

There are episodes of NMTB on youtube if you don't mind watching them like that. I couldn't tell you anywhere you could watch or download the full episodes, sorry. ^^;

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Nothing wrong with Northern. :)
My family went to my aunt's earlier to have food. Such weird timing too, we started eating around four in the afternoon and I got home around half six. This is going to mess up my sense of time even more..

KatMagenta

Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Heh, I was at the match most of this afternoon.

You can always have supper later if you get hungry again. ^^;

Lost in Austen

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Just watched EoT1. It was AWESOME!!! I was laughing and crying the entire episode. (RTD's plots arent always logical or canon, but theyre sure are emotional! And I'll miss him for that!)

Connielass
  • Challenge Connielass in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Christmas...
Special...

::whimpers::

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Eee, jealous! I'll be watching it later, can't waaaaaiiiiit... my friends should be home from dinner parties soon, I hope..

Aw poo I burned my pop corn.

Metal Janachan
  • Challenge Metal Janachan in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 PM

all cookies are belong to me ~nomnomnom~

Lost in Austen

Old 12-26-2009, 09:21 PM

why cant you guys watch it naough?

I need someone to talk bout the spoilers with. XD

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Nuuu not the cookies! ;____;

Edit: Lost, haha, sorry! I wish.. I'll talk to you about it tomorrow! :D

Connielass
  • Challenge Connielass in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 PM

Because not all of us are on our own computers, and some of us don't have access to computers that are fast enough and/or new enough to allow for downloading.

I'm in both categories.
This is Mom's computer.

I can watch it on Youtube, if it's made it there.

But I'd rather watch it on TV. That way I don't have to have sudden interruptions whenever Youboob or this computer decide to freeze up, usually in the middle of the best parts. Not to mention I can adjust the brightness settings on my TV for optimal viewing experience. :XD

Lost in Austen

Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 PM

kk.

Ugh, Ive gotta admit, this is gonna be one sad New Years for me. *sniff* I really hope MS is a good actor.... DT's character is gone... DEAD... in a matter of days. TT_TT

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 PM

Aww I'm sure it'll be okay Lost. They wouldn't have given the part to Smith if he wasn't amazing. They know what they're doing. :)

Tags