Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM

I finally saw Harry Potter seven (part one)! It was, if you have read the book and even if you haven't, AWESOME.
I had to cringe a little though because he took his shirt off and it was... not what I had been expecting. Mostly because Daniel Radcliffe is like 21 and trying to play a 17 year old. Body parts don't look quite right D:
I do think they cut the movie off at a bad place though. My friends and I agree with that.
I've finally got my muse back! Sort of. It comes and goes, but I think this is the longest I've ever spent working on a story (and the most effort I've ever put into one in a long time). My only problem with it is I'm not entirely sure where the story is going. My English professor said "Character drives plot", but then my older brother (an excellent writer like me but who also has yet to finish a story) said "plot drives character." And now I'm not entirely sure if I know what they mean.
Help?

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Honestly, it depends on whether you write plot-driven or character-driven stuff. Ideally you should have both, but many writers favor one or the other. You need to make the characters real, so sometimes they go off in their own direction. But sometimes they're well behaved and the things you need to happen in your story dictate what happens. I hope that's helpful, I can try to explain it more but I think that's about it.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM

I always go back to reading books by Tamora Pierce and Nora Roberts as well. If not because of the story itself then because of their amazing writing style. They don't tell they show! I wish I could write as well as they do. I sometimes just look at the way they put together their sentences and how they describe things.Then I take what I like and integrate it into my own writing to create a style all of my own.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM

I just write what comes naturally at first, and then I edit it later.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Hello Papillon!
Tamora Pierce is definitely a big influence on me, especially her Circle of Magic books. They make me really think about magic and the different ways authors do it.
FairyWaif, I do what you do when you're writing, although right now I'm arguing with one of my characters because she insists (rightly) that I'm not letting her act as she would. She's frustrating me and my other characters :/ I've looked up some stuff on character driven and plot driven stories, and I want to do a good mixture of both in the one I'm working on now because I haven't plotted it out; however, I do have about 5 or 6 pages of the story written (little random bits to kind of help me with my characters' personalities).
Any book recommendations that could help me decide between the two?

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm not sure, I can't think of anything off the bat which is more one or the other. I think a lot of works are a mixture of both. Sorry I'm not more help.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM

It's alright :)
I think I'm going to badger my mom for a trip to the library. I need more books to read, and I want to see if there's a definite difference between the two. I also want to see how they start and end their stories. It's always the beginning and end I get stuck on. :|
Has anyone else heard the news? Brian Jacques died this month! http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb...cques-20110213 My older brother and I could not believe the news. He was one of our favorite authors.

Last edited by Crimson_daffodils_Layla; 02-14-2011 at 02:02 AM..