ladydiana
Planet Rock

Old 09-20-2017, 02:13 AM

Does anyone ever receive hang up or prank phone calls that are very annoying real late at night when your sleeping or busy in the early evening. Or trying to relax after a hard day.

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-20-2017, 03:35 AM

That might be a scammer.
They call and hang up so you might call them back, then you get charged with high fees.
If you have caller I D, I suggest you don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize...or let them go to voice mail. If its important they can leave a message and you can call them back.
*note: if somebody calls saying they are from the IRS, it is a scam...do not call them back!

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 AM

Yeah I'm with Inzanebraned on this one.

Also I feel like in my area of the world it's become custom to text more frequently than call. Or if someone that actually knows you calls and it's important they'll text you right after the missed call. Or they'll leave a message and it's easy to weed out the scammers from the actual calls.

I'll rarely answer a number that I'm unfamiliar with unless I'm expecting a call.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 09-21-2017, 09:33 AM

I read the thread title wrong and thought you were asking if any of us were the ones giving those calls. Hahaha…
The closest we got to that was answering with phone with things like, "Jello?" or, "What's the sitch?" (after Kim Possible) Sadly, it was always people we knew when we got to answer the phone, so the intended effect wasn't quite achieved.

Nah, we used to get telemarketers and scammers really bad. Now, if we don't know the number, we don't pick up.

I've heard that on the modern phones, there's an app for this prob.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM

I don't pick up any number I don't know.

As for "prank calls" I've only ever been the victim of them. Back in high school a guy got on the phone while he was on tinychat or something, with friends listening, and he told me repeatedly to kill myself before I hung up. I didn't know who it was because they were using a spoofed number, but I found out within a few days because he was bragging about it all over the other web forum we were on.
I reported him and I think he got banned for it, even though it was off site--because he bragged about doing it on site and they have a very strict harassment policy.

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM

I used to receive hang up calls from Verizon. They were running some sort of stupid advertisement for something else that was undoubtedly stupid. I called 611 to report the issue, but they were either playing dumb or they couldn't do anything to resolve the issue. After a couple months the nuisance calls finally ended.

At least there was no heavy breathing on the other end.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 PM

I don't answer the phone for people I do not know. There are too many scam calls now a days plus I had a stalker up until recently as well. I have a number blocker for numbers I do not know. Anyone important can get a hold of me through other means.

Viveka
:3

Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 AM

I never answer calls from phone numbers that I don't recognize. Makes it difficult when I'm job hunting, but most recruiters/potential employers follow-up with a voicemail or e-mail. If they don't, their professionalism is a bit suspect.

I am registered with blood banks/the Red Cross in three different states, and apparently they didn't remove me from their call lists even after I told them I moved, so I get calls from them every week. Obnoxious.

If I ever received an *actual* prank phone call, I would probably start crying the second I figured it out. I'm not very tough-skinned...

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-23-2017, 02:22 PM

I get scammers, but they always call when I'm at work. Usually a company trying to get my credit card.

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 PM

I get hang up calls at times are ones from random 1-800 numbers. ones for credit cards,student loans and sometimes once. in while the wrong number for someone how owes money on a vehicle they bought.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-28-2017, 06:51 AM

Oh yes all the time.

Scammers don't call much anymore. My mom had one going in circles on the phone for an hour. I honestly wish I would have recorded it. XD It was art. I swear she could have probably talked him into giving his ID and credit card info if she had a mind to.

It's mostly pervs asking about how the stockings I didn't order from their company they won't name are fitting. XD CLICK!

My personal favorite is the growl/snarl guy. I often get calls of random growling/hissing/chittering that hangs up when I giggle and say you sounds cute. He even left a dino rarr on my voice mail once. He calls from a company a few provinces over, best I can tell is it's some freak(in the best way) I meet at a sci fi convention a long time ago. I guess I've seen to many horror movies to really be afraid of crank calls or pervs. It did scare my mom the one time she answered it and heard "demons". I know lots of odd people that would do it for a laugh so I don't worry to much about it. *shrugs*

I welcome crazies with open arms I guess. They're my people.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephila View Post
Oh yes all the time.

Scammers don't call much anymore. My mom had one going in circles on the phone for an hour. I honestly wish I would have recorded it. XD It was art. I swear she could have probably talked him into giving his ID and credit card info if she had a mind to.

It's mostly pervs asking about how the stockings I didn't order from their company they won't name are fitting. XD CLICK!

My personal favorite is the growl/snarl guy. I often get calls of random growling/hissing/chittering that hangs up when I giggle and say you sounds cute. He even left a dino rarr on my voice mail once. He calls from a company a few provinces over, best I can tell is it's some freak(in the best way) I meet at a sci fi convention a long time ago. I guess I've seen to many horror movies to really be afraid of crank calls or pervs. It did scare my mom the one time she answered it and heard "demons". I know lots of odd people that would do it for a laugh so I don't worry to much about it. *shrugs*

I welcome crazies with open arms I guess. They're my people.
Is this how people flirt...?

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 AM

Really! I thought prank calls were a thing of the past!

Lately I've just been getting annoying calls from the Census Bureau. The last thing I want to do after work is answer a 500 question survey about my finances, but if you don't answer they keep calling or come to your house.

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 09-15-2018, 02:02 AM

Lately, I've been receiving these robocalls from various places. Today it was New York state, and yesterday it was Massachusetts. I also receive these nuisance calls from my own area code the most.

HIM_ROCK
NPC

Penpal

Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Mostly silent calls are automated ones from telemarketers when they don't realise that you've picked up.

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 09-16-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIM_ROCK View Post
Mostly silent calls are automated ones from telemarketers when they don't realise that you've picked up.
Hello? Hello? Who's this? Jake, from State Farm.

pinkypisces
Pink mule

Old 09-18-2018, 02:26 AM

Not for a long time cept telesales

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 09-22-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypisces View Post
Not for a long time cept telesales
I'll give 'em your number.