Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM

I've gone ahead and merged your thread with our Book Recommendations sticky, hopefully more people will now be able to find and see your great reviews. :)

ToxicRainbows
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM

How did I not see the recommendations sticky? *headdesk* thanks for moving it, Knerd! :)

Nashawryn
Book Zombie
Send a message via Yahoo to Nashawryn

Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 PM

I would recommend the Five Hundred Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey. I also like her other books. The Halfblood Chronicles are about a half elven girl who ends up being raised by dragons, and her Valdemar books, of which there are about 36 books, if you count the 7 books that have short stories. I won't go into the Valdemar books much, because there's so much going on with it.

GangsterGlam
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 AM

I would definitely recommend Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis.
It's.. amazing, that's the only way I can put it. It seems like a bunch of seperate stories, but they combine beautifully. It keeps you guessing, which is important to me.

It's a fairy-tale of sorts, about a.. well here's the synopsis.
Quote:
Sold to be the eighth wife of a rich and cruel merchant, Safia, also called Raka, tries to escape her fate by telling stories of Farhad the thief, his companion Nitish the white tiger, and their travels across India to retrieve a famous jewel that will save a kidnapped princess from becoming the bride of a demon king.
Honestly it was beautiful and worth the read.

DeadlyAphrodite
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Looking For Alaska by John Green
This book was my first ever JG book and I loved every minute of it. I fully urge you to read this book and well, this author is really good.
I also suggest Paper Town, An Abundance of Kathrines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. But Looking for Alaska was my all time favorite. I read it over and over again.

Seradinea
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Well like a year ago I bought this anime book called clover it is a very good read you can find it in Barnes and noble and books a million.

Monte Gray
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Does anyone have a good book or series I could read. I need something new. I like fantasy action anime and some times a good romance (only sometimes) I kno there has to be good books out there it's justnevery book I've picked up latlynhas been do boring. There all lame and make no sense. So if you'd be so kind tell me your favorite book.

KillersPet
*^_^*

Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 PM

This post really belongs in a general discussion thread not in the RP section. ^^

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 AM

I've gone ahead and merged your thread with our Book Recommendations sticky in the Books forum. :yes:

Miss_Muffinz13x
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM

title says it all
I need books
cuz i bored

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Since you're looking for recommendations, I've gone ahead and merged your thread with our Book Recommendations sticky.

MissDifferent
Ninja Mummy

Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 AM

In my Literature class, we're reading Inheritance which is a play, but it's amazing and it's fun to read aloud :)

Moxie
Irritated Scientist
Send a message via ICQ to Moxie Send a message via AIM to Moxie Send a message via Yahoo to Moxie

Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 PM

I would recommend books by Christopher Moore for people who like general fiction and fantasy (vampires, angels, demons, personified animal totems & grim reapers all depending on the story). They are an amusing blend of the two. He also has a pretty good sense of humor that comes off well in his books.

For people who like humorous books, I would recommend Tim Sandlin, Tom Robbins and PG Wodehouse.

pipmyrod
huffle-puff-puff

Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM

If you happen to be into Peter Pan and fantasy, The Child Thief by Brom is a great book to read. It's more of a twisted version of Peter Pan but it's very entertaining and captivating. Also, there are many dark themes and violence included so it isn't exactly a child-friendly novel.

Quote:
Peter is quick, daring, and full of mischief—and like all boys, he loves to play, though his games often end in blood. His eyes are sparkling gold, and when he graces you with his smile you are his friend for life, but his promised land is not Neverland.

Fourteen-year-old Nick would have been murdered by the drug dealers preying on his family had Peter not saved him. Now the irresistibly charismatic wild boy wants Nick to follow him to a secret place of great adventure, where magic is alive and you never grow old. Even though he is wary of Peter's crazy talk of faeries and monsters, Nick agrees. After all, New York City is no longer safe for him, and what more could he possibly lose?

There is always more to lose.

/ as printed on the inside cover /

skellig
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 AM

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand.

An incredible book about the merits of Objectivism, a philosophical worldview asserting that our primary (and only) obligation is to ourselves. It follows the journey of Howard Roark, an architect who has unquestionable integrity to his own work. Other characters include Peter Keating, another architect who chooses the path of the second-hander; Dominique Francon, a beautiful woman who both loves and seeks to destroy Roark; and Ellsworth Toohey, an art critic who is more than meets the eye. Highly recommed to anyone who doesn't mind long books, and who enjoys thought-provoking literature.

hrairoo
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 AM

I completely recommend The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.

It's is Fiction/Western. Not the usual for most people, but absolutely brilliant all the same. :)

Last edited by hrairoo; 10-01-2011 at 02:55 AM..

Warrow8282
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 AM

Yay! I love that this is a sticky. I'm always looking for new books to read. My nearest Barnes & Noble is over an hour away, and I literally cried when Border's closed down (after spending hundreds of dollars stocking up on books and justifying it by telling myself that I wouldn't be buying books from Border's ever again, so splurging now makes up for how much I would save in the future... that almost worked)... When I was shopping for houses, one of my requirements was that I have an extra room to make into my library (granted, it's not nearly my dream library like the one in Beauty and The Beast), and now I have my lovely Asian-themed library for my massive amounts of books :-)

So anyways... I am obviously an avid reader, but I HATE non-fiction with a passion. To me, reading is for escaping reality, not learning more about it. I love my fantasy/fiction books, especially if they are bloody and vivid in detail or the gothic fantasy genre. My recommendations:

1) Anne Bishop- The Black Jewels Trilogy- amazing Gothic Fantasy trilogy that takes place in a world where people who can use "magic" are born with Jewels. The darker the color of their jewels, the more powerful Witches and Warlords they are. There is a whole caste system focused around revering the feminine, and there is a "myth" of Witch, the most powerful member of the Blood (those who use jewels) to ever live. This trilogy focuses on Witch changing the world... it's AMAZING! Anne Bishop also wrote a few other books that take place in the same world, as well as a few that don't. She's great, and I recommend her as an author.

2) Brent Weeks- Night Angel Trilogy - Again, absolutely jaw-dropping story line. The main character, Azoth, starts out as a young child in a slum gang that gets taken on by an assassin as his apprentice. In this world, assassins have special powers, and Azoth is able to bond with a powerful weapon that gives him exceptional abilities. He becomes almost god-like in this trilogy that starts with "The Way of the Shadow", then "Shadow's Edge", and ends in "Beyond the Shadow". This trilogy has a lot of graphic violence and gore. Brent Weeks also has some other works out, but as I haven't read them yet, I won't give any recommendations on them.

3) Anything by Mercedes Lackey- I started reading her books while I was in high school and just kept collecting them over the years. Even her collabs with other authors are amazing. Her books take up half the closet shelves in my library. These books are not as graphic or dark as what I typically go for, but Mercedes knows how to hook you in to her books and not let you put them down until you're done... and you don't even realize it's already 4am and you have to get up to get ready by 5am... crap.

Gahh.. speaking of needing to wake up early, I guess that's it for now... I have so many more that I'll save for a later date :-)

gummi
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM

the game of thrones, currently thats what i am reading

EvelynWn
Wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup!!!!! !!!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM

I recommend the Knight and the Rouge series, there are three of them. They're hard to find but they are really, really good. I've been looking for them for a while though, I can only find them at the library. >_<

D.o.l.l.
Mookieness

Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 PM

.....I'm not sure if anyone has said it yet but.......Special Agent Pendergast = <3<3<3<3
Its a series that wasnt intended to be focused on Pendergast but everyone loved him, and the authors decided to continue the series with him with a few off branches with a couple other characters that were amazing.
The series starts with Relic and its by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

I'd also like to throw my vote out for Terry Goodkinds Sword of truth series. Its amazing <3

I'd be sad if no one said Harry potter <3<3

OH and Dexter *your friendly neighborhood Serial Killer* and the awe inspiring Dr Lecter series <3

Skaudie
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 AM

Tracy Hickman recently started a trilogy called the Annals of Drakis. The first one is Song of the Dragon. I thought it was brilliant. Though I was always a fan of Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman ever since I read their Death Gate Cycle. (Awesome read!) I can't wait for the next one in the series, Citadels of the Lost.

gunned
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellig View Post
The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand.

An incredible book about the merits of Objectivism, a philosophical worldview asserting that our primary (and only) obligation is to ourselves. It follows the journey of Howard Roark, an architect who has unquestionable integrity to his own work. Other characters include Peter Keating, another architect who chooses the path of the second-hander; Dominique Francon, a beautiful woman who both loves and seeks to destroy Roark; and Ellsworth Toohey, an art critic who is more than meets the eye. Highly recommed to anyone who doesn't mind long books, and who enjoys thought-provoking literature.
If you like books about objectivism, I think you'd enjoy the books by Terry Goodkind. Try reading Wizards First Rule first. Althrough to be honest his writing style is a bit generic. But its enjoyable and sweet. His books never has cliff hangers, so that's a plus.

Destiny
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM

I read a book called Incarceron and it was really good!
Sapphique is its sequel.

I'm hoping they turn it into a movie because I would love to see how it's portrayed in real life.

KelseyShroom
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte View Post
I enjoy the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series.. :) Its a pretty long set and its still not complete, but its well worth it. ^^
Currently reading it. I am enjoying the series a lot.

Recommendations-

Urban fantasy

The Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs if you enjoy and werewolf story plot bases. written for teenagers but adults would enjoy it also.

The mortal instruments by Cassandra Clare are also worth a read. They have a good plot line but best for teenagers due to it being based around shadow hunters who are teens. But good due to having a wide range of supernaturals and a large amount of action.

Vampire academy by Richelle Mead, An amazing series defiantly in my top three and has both action and romance good read for anyone over the age of 14. Vampires only so not a large range of supernatural creatures but the book is worth a read due to it giving a new outlook on vampires.

Succubus series also by Richelle Mead, A series more for the adults due to the steamy sex scenes and many adult references but the books will suck you in and have you reading for days.

The undead series by Daniel Waters are one of the few zombie love stories that can suck a person in without to much effort. This one really is written for teenagers but if you have a soft spot for romance or zombies it is also worth a read to the adult audience

Elemental assassin are really great books unfortunately i can't recall the authors name but should be easy enough to find online. The books are more written for an adult audience due to the sex and violence in a larger scale of description i loved the series and also my mother loved the series so defiantly worth a read to anyone who like magic.

Fantasy-

Anything by Maria V. Snyder her books make for a good read to anyone no intense sexual references but a bit of violence in most of her series. Many magical lands formed by her writing and her books are always some of the hardest to put down and have taken many nights rest from me. I love her portrayal of magic and the universe and her books will literally take you away. No supernatural creatures as
far as i know but a lot of magic and magicians.

Warrior cats by Erin Hunter they are incredible i have been reading her novels since i was twelve and i love her ability to personify animals to such a realistic extent. Her books are well written with slight sexual references and a fair bit of mild violence. Many have a childish kind of plot line but worth reading by adults due to the hidden meanings and twists which would drawn any cat lover into the Thunder clan.

Those are all i can think of off the top of my head, each book mentioned is worth a read and i love each of those series :)

Mageling
Mostly void, partially stars

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling

Old 04-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrow8282 View Post
My recommendations:

1) Anne Bishop- The Black Jewels Trilogy- amazing Gothic Fantasy trilogy that takes place in a world where people who can use "magic" are born with Jewels. The darker the color of their jewels, the more powerful Witches and Warlords they are. There is a whole caste system focused around revering the feminine, and there is a "myth" of Witch, the most powerful member of the Blood (those who use jewels) to ever live. This trilogy focuses on Witch changing the world... it's AMAZING! Anne Bishop also wrote a few other books that take place in the same world, as well as a few that don't. She's great, and I recommend her as an author.

2) Brent Weeks- Night Angel Trilogy - Again, absolutely jaw-dropping story line. The main character, Azoth, starts out as a young child in a slum gang that gets taken on by an assassin as his apprentice. In this world, assassins have special powers, and Azoth is able to bond with a powerful weapon that gives him exceptional abilities. He becomes almost god-like in this trilogy that starts with "The Way of the Shadow", then "Shadow's Edge", and ends in "Beyond the Shadow". This trilogy has a lot of graphic violence and gore. Brent Weeks also has some other works out, but as I haven't read them yet, I won't give any recommendations on them.
*bows*

You have just become my new best friend. It's ridiculously hard to find people who like the Realms of the Blood anymore, and the Night Angel books aren't quite popular enough yet to find a lot of people who have read them.

I would like to add another Anne Bishop trilogy to this mix: The Landscapes of Ephemera. A similar flavor to the Black Jewels books, but definitely not the same, and it pulls on the soul in the same way.

The Landscapes of Ephemera start with Sebastian, and then to Belladonna and Bridge of Dreams, with a side novella called The Voice. It's a world where your heart dictates where your life takes you, and you always end up in a place that resonates with your heart, whether it's good or bad. The world is shattered into Landscapes, and the caretakers of these Landscapes are the Landscapers, women who can influence the resonance of the world and whose hearts form the bedrock of their landscapes.

It's ridiculously addictive, and I mean that in the best way possible.