Cudibrium
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-26-2012, 03:18 AM

Hello!

Just getting your opinion on which one you prefer. Personally, I like the appearance of water color, but I find it much easier to paint with acrylic.:heart:

WishingMoon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 PM

I have so much trouble with watercolor, even though I know the principles of it I just don't have the patients, so acrylic all the way.

nyx<3<3
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 AM

i love how water color blend so well together. but personally i am a big fan of oil pants they are harder to use then water color paints. i like the brightness of the colors and how they mixs together with oil paints. but the hardest parts with using oil paints is how long it takes to dry but the end results are always amazing

AlbaRosaria
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to AlbaRosaria

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Personally, I love working with watercolors. They create a fluid grace with an airy quality. You can slowly build up and enjoy the picture as it takes shape. I don't care for acrylic paints, personally, just don't like the flow of them in comparison. The texture. Oils... I have yet to have a chance to really get into working with them. I just enjoy being able to take my time with watercolor and the end results...

Also enjoy painting with ink and tea. :3 Work a bit like watercolor.

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM

I'm not much of a painter, so I don't have a lot of experience in it. I digitally paint just not traditionally paint.

I like the way water color looks, and flows. It gives me a "floaty" feel and it's so light but can make powerful pieces. I like using it to color large areas if I'm making a piece on paper. But I find it very difficult to control, and I guess mostly, it's not about control and more about technique? I always end up.. making it bleed through my paper 'cause I use too much water.

Acrylic is a lot easier for me to use because of the control aspect. It has it downside of being.. thick in a sense. Where as, water color lets you use as much color without "weighing" the piece down. Acrylic, has a lot of texture, and it's just a very.. hard color. I know you can manipulate it into shades and give it a light feel, but.. it..can be hard to to paint an environment and make it look 3D. It's easy to paint one object but a scene is harder.

It's hard to explain. I'd rather take on water color though.

Isobel

Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 AM

I have to say watercolors, all the way. I can work with acrylic but it lacks the flow and fluidity that I prefer in the watercolor. It's frustrating sometimes having to wait for part of it to dry so you can paint next to it without it bleeding but the way everything blends just makes things so much easier in my point of view. And oils? I tried...once. I'll never do that again XD

Ana_M
*^_^*

Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Watercolors. I'm still learning how to use them (it's mostly due to impatience) but I can definitely wield them better than acrylic! My mom's side of the family love acrylic paints, however I am just not good with them at all. They feel heavy, and to be honest they bother me. I can never get them to move and shape the way I want them to, with watercolors I have the chance.

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Acrylic, but only because I like working on canvas and I like laying it in layers.
I prefer gouache to watercolour.

BabyPink_Cute

Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 PM

i love acrylic as we we can mend our changes quickly and it brings out better effect especially in canvas.
as an art an student i always prefer them because it bring out more realism

Lilthian

Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 AM

Watercolor can be somewhat unpredictable with me. I'd say acrylic, but only when I'm watching how much paint I get on my brush at once. ^_^;

ViktoriaN
Viktoria
Send a message via Yahoo to ViktoriaN

Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 AM

I'm in a watercolor class right now at my college. Not easy to work with but after you get a nack for your own technique it's a bit easier. I'm not honestly sure which I prefer best as far as watercolor vs. acrylic. I need to use both more to be really sure. I draw more than I paint. ^-^

pachi
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM

watercolour for me. b:
acrylic frustrates me at times.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM

I used to not care much for watercolor, but seeing some impressive works of art with that medium changed my mind. I'm hardly even a beginner in either medium and it depends on the effect for which I prefer. I usually think of solemn or peaceful scenes with watercolor and vibrant scenes for acrylic. But I don't mind being pleasantly surprised when they're not that way.

CatsLikeMice
Zowie

Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 AM

I couldn't agree with you more.
I love the way watercolors look.
I mess up too much to paint with watercolors.
I stick with acrylics because I like the textures that can be created with them.

Herringjason

Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 AM

I think watercolors are really beautiful. The works of art you can create with them are amazing and I love the bleeding effect and the dripping. Watercolors for me .

LYN
*^_^*

Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM

I prefer acrylic over watercolour; it's a lot more forgiving! It's much easier to re-paint something in acrylic. But nonetheless, I find watercolour to be very nice when used properly!

Mimmu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM

I haven't tried painting with them, so I have no opinion! But, I just found my mom's old water & acrylic colous, and I've been wanting to try them, so maybe soon enough I have a comment to share! :)

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 AM

I can't say much on the part of watercolors. Last time I remember working with them was about a week or so in High School, and before that sometime in Elementary. As for Acrylic I just got into it as of last school semester (for college). And it's amazing. I mean the kinds of works people painted in the past, and the works that I see other students do. And don't get me start on Oil medium. But I say this, I seen beautiful works from Oil and disappointed to find out Artist from the past used Oil mostly or Tempera. For an example:

In my Painting I class, I had to choose an Artist from the Impressionist period and the Renaissance and copy their work best you can. And all the artist that I seen, and ultimately the ones I picked had done their work in Oil. I'm not complaining, because with Acrylic I can paint (with certain paints.. can't have cadium) around my birds and dogs with out fear of them getting sick or dying. I suppose watercolor is safe in that aspect.

Anyways, back on topic I prefer Acrylic paints. It may not be able to blend the way watercolor does but it can be blended all the same and look equally as beautiful. And it's plus that it can dry quick so you can get started on the layer that will be on top. Which is also a con considering it drys too fast, but they have something you can buy. It's called retarder and you can use that to keep the paint wet. But that's not all it does, it also thins. And on that note there are gels and gloss you can use to thicken the paint as well.

Also it's very good that if you mess up, you just wait til it dries and do it over as if nothing happened.

To @Nyx<3<3;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx<3&lt View Post
i love how water color blend so well together. but personally i am a big fan of oil pants they are harder to use then water color paints. i like the brightness of the colors and how they mixs together with oil paints. but the hardest parts with using oil paints is how long it takes to dry but the end results are always amazing
I wouldn't consider that to be the hardest parts. The hardest part for oil, in my opinion, would be if you were to make your own canvas. You'd have to gesso the canvas and make sure that there is NO holes that have been left uncovered. Because if there is.. the oil will get inside and rot the canvas.

whicmro
whimcro

Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM

I like using both. Watercolor is classic and has it's specific charm. It's very experimental too. If you're into come what may, watercolor is best.
But if I want really bright and 3d features and also more of control in painting, acrylic all the way. A blend of both is really great. Wish to use oil someday when I have a job.

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 AM

I like both equally. The way that water color can be so unpredictable, and all the colours that you can make with it. Acrylic is something good to use when you want more control over what you're making. But to be honest I find that I work so much better with oil. I see oil as the best of both worlds, without having to worry about the paint drying to fast. You can get better detail and you can mix colours. To top it off it gives that painting a more realistic feel to it.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM

I prefer acrylic because its more versatile and can look like watercolor if you do it right.