thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 PM

I hardly see anything relating to us comic book artists- hardly in forums, sledom in programs in art schools, etc.

I just wanted to create a place for us. Trade tips and secrets, brag about our awesome storylines and amazing art work, bounce ideas off of each other, cope with writer/art block, etc.

Right now I am working on a comic titled Inferno Fish: It Means Everthing (you can find my page on facebook!) and no one understands how difficult it is to work on the same story for literally 3 years now! (off and on)

I went out of my way to even make my own idea book just for this series. I rediscovered it after my move and it has made me excited to get back into it. I also have created it's very own soundtrack for the series.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Wow... 3 years. That is long.
I am interested with the soundtrack part. <33

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 PM

I'm actually very proud of the soundtrack haha
when i get close to finishing the entire thing i plan to make a kick starter and have one of the give aways be the soundtrack that i created to help with the inspiration. ^-^

so much has happened in the past three years, can't imagine how much time will go by once i'm actually finished.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM

How do you compose the sound track? Share~~
You learn some music? I presume?

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2013, 05:09 PM

I have a very varied library on my itunes. unfortunatly I am not very talented in music (aside from singing). So I compiled a list of my favorite artists and spent hours researching lyrics and the way the overall sound flowed with the story.
Inferno Fish is a coming of age young adult graphic novel. The basis of the storyline comes from what every person fresh out of high school comes across "what am i going to do with myself?" or "is this what I really want to do with my life" (assuming they DO have a career path in mind already). Set in a time where sexism is very high again one of my main characters (Megan) wants to draw. she adores making monsters that would be best suited for creature features, but it is unacceptable for women to draw in such a brute way or to even be taken seriously career wise and independantly. While the other male character is a very loud main character who wants to rebel, but his family has his entire life planned out already. "you must marry who we choose, inherit the family company, go to this school, study for this desgree once you have your fun with this silly art school idea, give up on your writing and your music, etc." these two souls meet while in their art school and they soon feel that anything could be possible as long as they have that one person cheering them on.

i'm in absolute love with my own work. i truly get excited when i talk about it. haha

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM

We all are! I often gets excited to talk about creations either mine or others.

My main failure with writing format would be poem and that includes lyrics. It is fine if the story do not involve poems like in ancient era... *sighs* But my favourite time of story is ancient era. x.x

As for comic. I had only attempted one short story. only 3 A4 pages. For school. *giggles*
I draw, but mostly for commission or just one shot images or some character designs. Not much comic.
For stories, I prefer writing.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 PM

your comic sounds very neat, vee (shall I call you that?). Sounds like something I would read. You have a lot of dedication to work on it for three years. o.o

I attempt comics from time to time, but never seriously since I don't know much about how to make them and I have no dedication to projects not for school or that take only a few sittings to do. I have drawn sketches in comic style often, but never decided to work out the stories fully except one. I drew the first 6 pages of it very quick (only sketches on lines paper still) but I never got around to finishing out that chapter like I wanted to before I pursued final drawings. I never forget that story though and though it's been more than a year since I started the drawings, I haven't given up on doing it some day.

I did take a 6 hour saturday comic workshop on campus once too and the final thing we did was a four page comic. I did it all (final drawings too!) except the last page. I can't even finish a 4 page comic!!! There was a full semester long comic book class last semester as well but I wasn't able to take it due to being on a very tight schedule to graduate at the end of this semester.

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Dakuu View Post
your comic sounds very neat, vee (shall I call you that?). Sounds like something I would read. You have a lot of dedication to work on it for three years. o.o

I attempt comics from time to time, but never seriously since I don't know much about how to make them and I have no dedication to projects not for school or that take only a few sittings to do. I have drawn sketches in comic style often, but never decided to work out the stories fully except one. I drew the first 6 pages of it very quick (only sketches on lines paper still) but I never got around to finishing out that chapter like I wanted to before I pursued final drawings. I never forget that story though and though it's been more than a year since I started the drawings, I haven't given up on doing it some day.

I did take a 6 hour saturday comic workshop on campus once too and the final thing we did was a four page comic. I did it all (final drawings too!) except the last page. I can't even finish a 4 page comic!!! There was a full semester long comic book class last semester as well but I wasn't able to take it due to being on a very tight schedule to graduate at the end of this semester.
i wish i can take a comic book class :[

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 AM

I'm not very good at poetry either, I like writing a lot of detail which is almost impossible to do with poems in my opinion. D;

Kat, where on earth do you go to school?! i so badly want to go to a comics school.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 05:11 AM

I go to an art school. ^^' Kind of...a weird one. I get the very distinct impression that this place does its own thing. The comic book class doesn't seem to count for any credits though, since it's just....I don't know. a thing. It's a part of the graphic design department though, rather than art or writing.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Aww... Comic Book Class...

Veevee! That is exactly the same reason why I can't do poem/lyrics too.
I am just too loooooooooooong winded and love all teeeny witty bits of detail to attempt poems. XD
Friends!

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM

Ugh D: I knew I should have went to a Art University instead of a normal All Around University

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 PM

I like writing poems...

I went to a normal liberals arts university for two years and was so miserable and friendless. I decided changing to an art school would help and it really did!

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-20-2013, 04:30 AM

</3 i just go to a community college and am not taking any of the art classes around...mostly because i'm still trying to finish up my gen ed. i have my eye on many a art schools. one in particular is specifically for comic book making (Kubert)

xuvrette, we are kinddred spirits it seems haha :D

what are some of your own works that you all have done? finished or not.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-21-2013, 06:17 PM

going to a school specifically for comics sounds really cool. If you go there, you should tell us what it's like!

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 PM

well i have asked for their catalog. so when i recived it through the mail i got a few neat things. including what they will ask during the interview. they have also been kind enough to answer my emails personally when i asked if there were any other open houses aside from the one that was on the 19th. they cheerifully informed me that if i can't make it to any of the open houses that i am more than welcomed to call and schedule a private tour. :D i felt all giddy

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 AM

Wow! I want to see their catalog!!! >.<

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 AM

I have been working on my comic on and off for about nine years. Still trying to get it up and running. Life keeps getting in the way. //cry

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM

That sounds like a really amazing type of school, Vee. You shouldn't pass up a place like that. It's rare to find schools so accommodating.

What's your comic about, Pistachio? Life has a way of getting in the way though. I understand.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Nine years is long. I am interest to know about it.

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 PM

yes, please discuss what your comic is about. this is why i made this forum. i want us all to come together and just share ideas. if there's anyone out there like me i know it just feels great to talk about it :D

i plan to go to the open house once i get money to make a trip out there. i live in Yuma, Arizona and the school is in New Jersey-so it'd take a lot to plan a trip out.

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Okay, my comic is called Service Ace! [Exclamation mark included, lol.]
It's about five students at Ace Tennis Academy.
The idea was brewing, the characters were made, but I only started making the comic itself two years ago. Three?
I have started and restarted, because my style keeps changing. I have even done character re-designs on almost everybody!
Matsuki, Tai, Yu, Mari and Shoko are the characters.
[The order is how they show up in the comic.]
I plan to make four volumes, and I am still in the process of sketching and inking. I have the first chapter finished, just need to tone.

All of this by myself with a son is hard, really.

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM

any way you can post a one page preview? i would love to see your work! :D
it sounds like you have done far more with your work than mine haha.

i plan to release one huge book. a graphic novel basically. good idea of what i'm attempting is Blankets by
Craig Thompson. but if i feel it is too much to do and publish i'm not opposed to releasing volumes as well. wouldn't know where to cut them off at though D:

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM

The link is here, but that is the old page:
Service Ace! :: Home

I have totally revamped it.
My drawing keeps improving, so I have to keep starting over. I want to just finish it.
I plan on having four volumes of 150-200 pages each.

thelettervee
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM

It looks good :D What did you use to make it look so professional?? I would love to see some of your newer things and see how much you've improved. :3
*clap, clap, clap* i'm very impressed with the way it was done