Bound Birdie
Mistress of Mischief and Mayhem

Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 AM

No worries you can't but in on an open conversation
by large I mean how much space on you hard drive does it take? That's very sad that there isn't a freeware version anymore ... trails always brake my heart...

plxx

Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 AM

hehe, okay (x
oh it says on my computer it takes 8.27 MB (:
aa well it was free before because they had not made an official fully functioning version yet, but now that they have finished developing it must be purchased.
however it is very very very worth the purchase, you should at least try it out with trial version which you can use fully functioning for 31 days! like i said its worth paying for in my opinion and its especially great because it doesnt cost much especially compared to photoshop and corel painter! i got both at a student discount and it was still a lottt of money to get those >u< ;;

Bound Birdie

Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 AM

Well I'm against purchasing a new program for two reasons:
1. I already have a disk w/ Photoshop 7, some CoralPainter and another one that I don't quite remember... that won't run on my computer because it is just that old. So I'm not investing in anything newer because I seem to keep running into that problem. Besides as soon as I do get a new system I'll have about 5 art programs already.
2. I truly am satisfied with oC. I'm quite amateur in my art and never plan to do any art for anyone but myself, so archiving perfection isn't on my list. I feel I have a lot more to learn about art that has to do with my overall skill not just using a new program and hoping for instantly amazing art. I think that's why I love oC's simplicity.

Rip Off Red
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Rip Off Red

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM

I think I tried to use Oc like once or twice... but that was shortly before I gave up on dArt in general.

I's do not have the knack :(

Bound Birdie

Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 AM

o.O Maybe you should watch a wpe to see how they did what you like in each picture! ... But if I recall you have no tablet and I don't care what program you have drawing with a mouse sucks, so you can always just blame it on that >.< Well I lie I can pixel with a mouse ... but not all of us have a love for pixeling

Rainbows
Transcendental
Send a message via AIM to Rainbows

Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 AM

o.o

I use opencanvas for everything.;;

But, what the hell's a wpe file, and whatsit do? o_o

-was looking..

.. did not find-

Andand, do I really just have an old version of opencanvas, because the screenshots I saw of yours, I think, birdie, was all.. purple-y and pretty looking?
o_O

Last edited by Rainbows; 03-08-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Bound Birdie

Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 AM

I have the free and oldest version rain! It's a little movie of what your drawing!

Rainbows
Transcendental

Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 AM

o_o

Well,...

Huaaa?

T__T

I still don't know how to use it right, I guess. I just know what "Pen/Pencil" "Paintbrush" "Blur" and "Eraser" are!!

xDD

I use those, and the color picker, and some layers!

I'll need to figure out how to use it properly tomorrow, so I can make pretty things like you... I can do things like this, butt... backgrounds seem HARD!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...xxrainbows.png
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...xxrainbows.png

I still don't know how I managed that plain thing.
O_O

Bound Birdie

Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 AM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mblktr
Here download this: and then go to import file in you open canvas and open it! You'll see!
It may take a while to watch though I spent a long time on Thoth's art!

And if you still have your drawings open then just go to "export file" and you can make a move for me!

Rainbows
Transcendental

Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM

OH!
I get it!

I wanna watch my own.
owo

I wonder what I was doodling BEFORE I started on it... Hrm.

It may be embarrassing.
XDD
Here for FireonYce!

/edit

OMG, THAT IS SO AMAZING.
o_o

Thanks birdieee!!

Bound Birdie

Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 AM

No problem Rain! I'm glad you like them!
I watch my own all the time! It really helps me see mistakes. For example I though the purple one in the example looked fine until I re watched it. I had drawn the hair before the neck and the head way to far forward. That's why no one see the first picture, cuse it looks like her head is about to slide right off!

Exrael
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-12-2009, 05:36 PM

I used OpenCanvas a few years back!! But I sucked with it... All I could do was Burn and Dodge for shading. >>'

Now I stick to Photoshop, and hopefully will learn to use Painter soon. *v*

Chirou

Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 AM

I use the newest one. I kind of need help with it? Is there any "pen" tool or something? But anyways, OpenCanvas is a lot like Adobe Photoshop, except with different stuff. I use OpenCanvas for drawing, not making graphics.

...I kinda think I need an OpenCanvas tutorial for mine.
I already know the basics... XD

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2009, 06:12 AM

@:Exrael: Really I don't think 1.1 even has a burn or dodge tool. Are you talking about the add and subtract layers? I did start out using them for highlights and shadow but I found it was much easier to sketch out my lines/ rough shading, then blending it even with the brush tool w/ all 3 effects turned all the way up. Then after that I use the fill box on a separate layer to set a nice even color in the back. It requires some painstaking erasing but I think it give a nice final product. Plus it allows me to use the add/subtract/ layers for really dramatic effects >.<

@:Chirou: Well A few of the tutorials were for other version. What version are they up to? I might be able to find one for you.
Sadly I only have had the opportunity to work with 1.1 ... in that version it's the pencil tool w/ the soft edge turned off and the hard line turned all the way on ... but I know the other version can vary quite a bit.....

Last edited by Bound Birdie; 04-24-2009 at 07:45 AM..

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2009, 06:13 AM

Well A few of the tutorials were for other version. What version are they up to? I might be able to find one for you.
Sadly I only have had the opportunity to work with 1.1 ... in that version it's the pencil tool w/ the soft edge turned off and the hard line turned all the way on ... but I know the other version can vary quite a bit.....

Chirou

Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Oh, I use OpenCanvas 4.5e Plus.
Or something like that...

Bound Birdie

Old 04-24-2009, 06:51 PM

hmm well I did some searching for tutorials and what not... didn't come up with much....sorry.
It does seem that the pen is generally some sort of modification of the "Pencil" or part of the brushes window... do you know if it's similar to another version? I have a very good tutorial for 4.02.... it has an extensive brush section maybe it could lead you in the right direction?

I know when I started with oC I just started with a blank page and just did a lot of scribbling and then mess with the brush a bit and scribble more >.< it was time consuming but it did help me see the effect of all the different tools, though I know you have quite a bit more tools then me!

Circe
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy the latest version of open canvas? :o

Bound Birdie

Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 AM

I'm sure if you just do a web search it would pull it up

Moonflow

Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 PM

Open Canvas is good program, but there is only one thing I hate about it. There is no version for Mac OS.