galy
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Rawrr__x - you have been spamming this forum NON-STOP and that is AGAINST the rules here, so if you have nothing to say don't post just to earn some damn gold.

about an art block, i say just keep going.
keep spewing out those crappy doodles, it happens to me a lot and eventually it just goes away. the less you think about it and the less you look at other people's amazing work - the faster you'll get over the block.

it just takes one good drawing to get you back to your regular rhythm
or at least that's how it seems to work for me.

Psycho_kyugurl
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Watch anime to get inspiration or fashion magazine...well that's how it works for me. ^^

Jawful
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM

i line up other blocks on either side of it taking great care not to leave any gaps and when ive made a complete row they all just disappear

that or i listen to music

earthkid
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-08-2007, 03:20 PM

I buy new art supplies. A brand new sketch book and some new pens/erasers/pencils always makes me want to draw. Not a very cost effective method to get over a block, but it always does the trick. XD

[Amphorae]
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to [Amphorae] Send a message via Yahoo to [Amphorae]

Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Oh dear...I honestly have had about a 3 week long block--not good for an AP class. Thankfully listening to some music on my iPod while on spring break has given me a chance to relax and try to draw. I think the main reason we get blocks is stress. Yesterday, I suddenly got inspired to draw some bagonias.

I typically don't like doing artwork when I have to do it...and then after I've done it (especially for commissions) I'm so in love with it I don't want to give it up... XD

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 AM

I actually have a list where, like, I jot down ideas of works I want to do. LIke, because I'm alwaysw so busy, I rarely get to this list, so it's always got something on it if I finall have time, and I'm out of ideas..

whippy
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-09-2007, 09:29 AM

artblock really loves me I guess O_O and whenever I get one, I will just go on a hiatus then and then. coz like most of the people had mentioned, the more you try, the more frustated you get with the drawing to an extent you start to loathe it :shocked: well..for me at least..i'm so emo with my drawing LOL

so normally I didnt go look for inspiration. they'll just come randomly. most often after I've watched so nice movies, heard some nice songs etc and after reading adorable BL XD;; etc. when I still have my car back then, normally I would buy myself a huge glass of frapuccino and sit at starbucks for hours and see all the people that pass by O_O weird hobby but seeing so many human behavious is very aspiring sometimes

Rainbow Carrot
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM

Well, the first thing to do(for a story) is to write the info down(characters, plot, etc) and anything else about it you might forget. Take a break from writing and RPing(if you do) and just let yourself relax. Don't even make the smallest RP post. Fasting seems to help me a lot when I've been in too many RPs at once and my posts get short.

As for a length of time, it could be days, weeks, or longer; it depends on the person.

That's just what I do at least, even when it comes to drawing. It seems the more that I force myself, the worse it gets.

Mage
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-14-2007, 02:08 AM

Well, if you're stuck, I think it's nice to look at other art. It'll always give you some ideas, even if they are unoriginal. Then, for me, I pick a theme and start doodling my ideas. See, I doubt you'll ever get an idea if you don't draw something, so I draw whatever comes to my mind.

Or just relax and listen to some songs. Listen to the lyrics, and think of what they remind you of. I try to draw the mental image I get. ^^;;

Sorry, I don't usually get art-blocks. I do get writer's blocks a lot, though. It's usually because I can't connect things together, though. Gaahh, curse for lack of foresight. >.<

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-01-2007, 09:27 AM

I actually deprive myself of sleep. It's a horrible thing to do, but it actually works for me. Normally I don't sleep much to begin with, but after a couple of days I get really tired and delusional... which actually helps me come up with some really crazy ideas. I don't know how, or why, but it's help me make some intresting art. I don't like to do it much because it effects my mood and makes me grumpy. lol

Other times I just put pen to paper and scribble around stuff. I make them look like crap on purpose. Sometimes something cool will come out of it and I'll end up redrawing it to make it look better.

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-02-2007, 04:07 AM

I try to draw, but I usually let out some of my 'blockiness' by drawing silly doodles. xD

Commissions, I don't get them a lot, but usually I like to add my own styles for those too. :]

Aeith
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 AM

When I have art block, I either switch back to realism or try out a different style. ...when those fail, I play video games until I'm too bored to do anything but draw. By then, I've usually gotten over it. ^^
When all of those fail, I switch to coloring or playing with clay for a while.

Starshine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM

I have no cure for my writing block >_< but for art block, I find running around the room oddly helps. Or taking a break, or doing scribble peices also help :3

falling sanity
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 AM

Actually, I'd like to point out that my sig is a result of said method. LOL

Buckwheat Noodles
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via Yahoo to Buckwheat Noodles

Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 PM

I just try a different style from whatever I'm currently doing... and if that doesn't work, I take a break entirely for a while. Sometimes I just need a day off, sometimes a week. And once in a while, it's just stress that's giving me the block- and once the source of stress is gone, I'm back on. ^^;

GainaSpirit
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM

@Aeith : Playing until bored hehe, I suppose that could work, I have a similar method ^^

@Starshine : Running around O.o Hum... I think I'll go run outside then >.< My room is too small ^^ Hum, a writing block is a lot harder to overcome I think. I used to write a lot and draw wheh I got a block. O.o Now, I only draw anyway >.<

@Noodles : I never try trying another style to unblock me >.< Maybe I should do more realism when it happens.

Feikku
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 PM

ah, when i hit a block its almost impossible to get out of it.

basically, first i try to sketch.. but as they look horrible,
i just stop drawing for like a month.
then slowly start again by doodling during classes,
and after a few doodles, it starts to look better.

and voila. out of art block.

...this is why you may see me not drawing at times,
for a really long time xD hehe.

`puppet
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 PM

i never realizes when i get an art block, couple really shorts and thats it...:'D

commission is a really good choice, you get references and such and ideas. and sometimes, the ideas for your own characters comes back from those information from commissions.

:D

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 AM

D: Apparantly I need to know this as well. *Hasn't drawn in a couple months*

My tablet is like.. crying at me. Pro'lly 'cos I drew a sad face on it with a dry erase marker..

Dev
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 PM

For Art: I'm a doodler. I'll find myself in school just doodling random eyes or somethign on my papers, and then I'll migrate to the sketchbook. Random page! yay!. Chances are I'll find something good in there that I want to finish/expand on/whatever and I will =3 and Viola, I'm out of my art block =333

For Writing, I just sit down and start writing. I don't think of a story or anything. I just let my pen go wild and let the words come out.

Usually there's somethign in there that I can use for whatever I'm currently trying to write =3

Hope that helped =33

Kanamo
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-19-2007, 03:31 AM

When I've got a block, it usually means I'm too stressed out. :3 So I suggest doing stuff like going out with friends, reading books, watch anime/reading manga, surfing, etc. Just get stress off your creativity.

Or, if you're absolutely determined to draw during your block, I'd suggest drawing random stuff that involves/pertains to artists' block. No matter how fugly it looks-you'll get it all out as well. =DD

MiroshaxKerry
*^_^*

Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Oh hell.... it depends really, the recent lot was hard to over come by (still kidna on it now i think X_X ) eithier draw a favrioute character or something you dont usually do?

(dont worry it worked for me in the past for me just not lately because it seems i have done everything.)

heh..

MiroshaxKerry
*^_^*

Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanamo
When I've got a block, it usually means I'm too stressed out. :3 So I suggest doing stuff like going out with friends, reading books, watch anime/reading manga, surfing, etc. Just get stress off your creativity.

Or, if you're absolutely determined to draw during your block, I'd suggest drawing random stuff that involves/pertains to artists' block. No matter how fugly it looks-you'll get it all out as well. =DD
mmhmm i agree lol.
(maybe thats why i sorta got off the block i had a bit lately.)

p a r f a i t
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM

I usually only get blocks when I'm extremely depressed at how everyone seems to be better than me. But then I cheer myself up by clicking the "browse" on deviantart. XD;;;;;

umm~ read an interesting book! Look up lyrics! Look at interesting phrases!

Uthopia
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Usually when I have blocks, my interests shift. So when I have a writers block, I'm really into art, and vice versa. But on occasion, when I have blocks for both writing and art, I try to get into video games. Yeah, so I think the best thing to do is to spend your time doing something else that you like just to get your mind off of the block. It might not cure your block immediately, but at least you won't be thinking about it all the time. :o