Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 AM

Any advice or tips? How much anatomy should I study? And should I hand draw it or digitally draw it? Since I'm a beginner would there be any helpful books out there?

Krokodil
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Krokodil Send a message via MSN to Krokodil

Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 AM

There are a lot of how-to books on drawing manga...but I would stay away from them. They're usually made by people who can't really draw well, and everything looks goofy. You should try to learn how on your own, by studying the art styles of your favorite manga.

But you also need to learn to develop your own unique style. Without that, you might as well be tracing someone's work.

You should definitely study a lot of anatomy if you're serious about drawing manga. A good understanding of anatomy and proportion will get you far.

Also, spend a lot of time on character design. Try to come up with details about your characters to make them visually stand out. You also need to be a good story teller, so studying creative writing will probably help a lot too.

Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM

Should I take classes on Anatomy or just buy books on it? xD And also how would researching other anime styles help? Would it be better to practice with tracing or draw by looking at a reference? Any useful websites?

Last edited by Alura--x--Uneii; 01-20-2012 at 05:12 PM..

Krokodil
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 PM

If there is a class available for anatomy, then you should consider taking it. But studying books on your own will be just as helpful. There's probably a ton of free online resources too.

These might help
7 Tutorials on How to Draw the Human Anatomy / Body / Figure | Drawn in Black

Studying styles of manga will help a lot. It will give you a good understanding of how to stylize things like the human form, or animals, etc, making it easier for you to draw a lot of frames. Does that make sense ? I'm bad at explaining...

I would suggest practicing drawing different things from your favorite manga, like chapter covers, without tracing. Eventually start changing things about the characters. Their hair, facial features, and poses. I think that will give you some good practice.

I hope that helps.

Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Ohh goody xD I don't plan to be like professional like Stan lee or anything I just plan to do it as a hobby since alot of my ideas would make better anime than a book. Thanks~ But how does anatomy help in making cartoons? Should I practice drawing real people first?

Last edited by Alura--x--Uneii; 01-20-2012 at 10:37 PM..

Krokodil
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 PM

I'll let you answer this question for yourself xD :

Try doing a series of drawings of a person moving their arm. Be as anatomically correct as you can. It isn't very easy to make it look nice , is it?

Drawing real people is a good way to start, because you can then learn how to stylize it for an anime.

Alura--x--Uneii
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 AM

Hmm...I shoiuld start with something easy though..and they say to do it in layers but I don't know what that means.. >.>