aiyatsukichan
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to aiyatsukichan

Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 PM

>.>;; anyone know the difference? I'm slightly confused. Went on Wiki but the only diff I could see was that Vexel was blurrier and less "plastic-looking" >w<;; lol

I'm doing a cg art class at school next week and I need to know all the diff types of cg art so help would be greatly appreciated ^^

March Hare
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via AIM to March Hare

Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 PM

A vector image uses mathmatical formulas to create the image. (As in the formula for making an arc and using a formula to draw lines from point A to point B) Which is why vector can be resized to any amount.

Vexel is a raster image that is pixel based, that is so clean it APPEARS to be a vector image. If you zoom in on a vexel image you will be able to see the individual dots that make up the picture. Vector art is not made of dots at all.

aiyatsukichan
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to aiyatsukichan

Old 04-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by March Hare
A vector image uses mathmatical formulas to create the image. (As in the formula for making an arc and using a formula to draw lines from point A to point B) Which is why vector can be resized to any amount.

Vexel is a raster image that is pixel based, that is so clean it APPEARS to be a vector image. If you zoom in on a vexel image you will be able to see the individual dots that make up the picture. Vector art is not made of dots at all.
ah~! so that's why ^^ thank you so much! That helps a lot <3

Noir Kalenthiel
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Noir Kalenthiel Send a message via Yahoo to Noir Kalenthiel

Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 AM

And an ascpect of vector art... like what I can do, is when it is left in the eps format it can be printed out to paper the side of a barn if you wanted, and there would be no pixelization.

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 AM

Wow, I learned something! I had never previously heard of vexel art... Does anyone had an example of it, on hand?

Mad Hatter
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 PM

Yes Vector art can be printed at any size without any deviation in quality. Why? Because vector art is made of mathmatical formulas. If you resize it the computer simply adjusts the formulas accordingly so you will always have crisp clean images.

If you wikipedia vexel art, you will get an example of vexel next to vector.

galy
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 AM

math math balbla it's all true, but the easiest and probably most simple explanation of the dif between the two is this [taken from http://vectorlovers.deviantart.com/]:

"Vector art consists of creating paths and points in a program such as Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw, [Inkscape] and Flash. These programs keep track of the relationships between these points and paths. Every time the image is scaled, the paths are regenerated: this creates images that are infinitely scalable without degradation." This has been extracted from the description of the vector gallery on deviantArt.

Art that contains both vector and raster art shoud not be submitted to the vector gallery as it is not entirely a vector. Art of this nature should be submitted to the Digital Art > Vexel gallery.

Raster art comes into play when using any brushes, filters, blending options (drop shadows, filters, glows, etc). Basically, any major post work you do in Photoshop other than creating paths using the pen tool and unsimplified shapes makes your vector a raster. Adding frames, watermarks, making color corrections and any other small postwork in Photoshop does not make your vector a raster. However, adding photographic elements to the image also makes it a raster image regardless of whether it was made in a vector program. The images made in raster programs and those that contain photographic elements are called vexels.

Vector/Vexel Scratch Test:
if you are confused about whether or not an image you created is a vector or a vexel, try this:

1. Open your source file. Make sure you open it in the program you made it in and that it has the corresponding file format. (This test is perfect to see if the image you made in Photoshop is actually a vector.)

2. Shrink your image to 20%, then blow it up to 400%, then shrink it to 50% and then resize it so its original size.

3. If it looks like shit, its a vexel. If it looks exactly the same as it did before, its a vector.

4. If you made your image in a vector program, open it in that program and see how long you can zoom in before you get tired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
once vector art is edited in any program that isn't vector based, then it becomes vexel art. it can be something as simple as adding a texture or adding a shadow.

vector:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/53511119/
vexel:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52459161/

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 AM

o.o; I can't even tell the difference by looking at them o.o;;

Mad Hatter
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM

You could tell if you zooooomed in on them.

The vexel one would get fuzzy and the vector one would stay crisp and clean.

galy
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM

mad hatter, that's not necessarily true.
when a vector piece is saved as a png, jpeg, gif or any other format that isn't a svg or eps it's pixelated when you zoom in just like a raster image. that only applies when you're in a program creating the original file/drawing and zooming in.

vector progs are capable of doing a lot of neato stuff, illustrator has some crazy filters, patterns and brushes. in some cases it can be hard to tell the difference.