View Poll Results: So, what tone do you like?
I like my anime and manga to be tear jerking first and foremost. 1 9.09%
I like my anime and manga to be more feel good or visually interesting foremost. 4 36.36%
I LIKE EVERYTHING! 6 54.55%
I LIKE NOTHING! 8< 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM

Sorry if there's a thread like this, but I just felt the need to ramble.

I used to be a huge manga collector. HUGE. At its biggest, my collection easily topped four hundred volumes, though knowing me, it was probably closer to five hundred. I bought anything and everything I could get my hands on, and I easily spent a fortune on them. Plus, I wanted to support the industry and not read online scans.

About a year or so ago, I sold off about half of my collection because a) college student who needs money, b) college student who needs money, c) I needed the shelf space, and d) I hadn't read most of my collection in years, nor was I likely to return to them any time soon.

But what in the heck does any of that have to do with my title? Excellent question. When I was selling off all my lovelies, I noticed a pattern in what I was selling versus what I was keeping. While I did keep some fluffy titles, like V.B. Rose or Absolute Boyfriend, by and large, most of the manga I was keeping hit on serious topics like suicide, drug use, bullying, and/or depression. Hell, to this day, Confidential Confessions is one of my favorite mangas ever, and it deals with nothing but horrible stuff like that.

And it's not just manga, either. My favorite animes are the ones where the protagonists have to earn their happy ending hard. Madoka Magica, one of my more recent favorites, sort of exemplifies what I look for in my manga and anime. Dark at times, but not hopeless. Another good example would be Haibane Renmei.

TL;DR: I like series that admit that adult situations exist, and treat them with respect that generally isn't found in animation half the time. Mindless fighting and bloodshed or moe puddles of nothing just aren't my thing.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: I should clarify that I am NOT talking genres. I'm talking more about tone. For example, a battle manga is more likely to be more style and less substance, but that's not always the case.

Last edited by Exaggerated Rebellion; 10-20-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 AM

I like action/adventure types manga most of the time, though unusual topics are also interesting. Sometimes I read 'pretty' manga that has good/detailed drawing but little to no plot. I read pretty much everything. (I don't like or watch anime aside from kiddy shows like Doraemon) However one of the few mangas I wouldn't ever read unless I were desperate would be shoujo romance novels that have things like girls fighting over boys, plotting against each other, and pardon the use of the word, being total bitches all around. Those really piss me off. I read manga to be happy or feel content, not work myself into a mood of wanting to rip someone's head off.

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 AM

Antagonist: I hear you on the shoujo manga thing. Personally, I'm okay with a little backstabbing and bitchiness and whatnot as long as it doesn't consume the entire story.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Haha, the backstabbing and bitchiness really gets to me so I tend to avoid them when possible. ;

Can't remember what the name of the manga was anymore, but I think it had the word '桃' (momo/peach) in it somewhere; it was one of the most backstabbing+bitchiness-filled series I've ever read. The classmates were passing it around to read during class and I got a copy and I think I got as far as half a volume and was ready to kill the girls in it. Needless to say I had never attempted reading it again. I prefer shonen most of the time, or seinen, etc.

PelvicUnicorns
Sophisticated Gawker

Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 PM

I like my anime and manga humorous, cute, and happy :D There are too many depressing, violent things in this world that I'd like to be upbeat while reading and watching them~