the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 AM

I have a lot of favorite books! Some include:

The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis
Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox
Tiger's Curse Series by Colleen Houck
Firelight series by Sophie Jordan
And we can't forget The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare :)

I've read alot of books, and I'm still reading lots of others, and have tons still on my list of books to read. I guess I'd like to see what other people are currently reading, what you want to read, what you have read. I only have one person that I can really talk to about my Teen Fiction addition and I need more xP

rhinocerosrex
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Well, I really love Divergent!
I also read The Vampire Mountain which is quite a long series but it's SO catchy!!!

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Young Adult books are my guilty pleasure.
Divergent is good, though I don't know how I feel about the Firelight books.

I can give you a massive list, most of these have Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic settings as well >

SPOILERX

Leviathan and Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld,
Enclave by Ann Aguirre,
Blood Red Road by Moira Young,
Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky,
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi,
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson,
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows,
Partials by Dan Wells,
Graceling by Kristin Cashore,
Breathe by Sarah Crossan,
Crewel by Gennifer Albin,
The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski,
Under The Stars by Rebecca A. Rogers,
Skylark by Meegan Spooner,
False Memory by Dan Krokos,
Defiance by C.J. Redwine,
The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse,
Elemental by Antony John,
Colonization by Aubrie Dionne,

these are mostly trilogies/series, and not even a quarter of what I've read in the last two years, I just feel like these are under appreciated.

Daenerys

Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 AM

I have Recently Fell in love with the Beautiful Creatures Series, I think they are so good and I love all things paranormal so they rock for me :)

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 PM

I made it through the first and the second, but I still haven't been able to get into the third book in that series.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM

@Rhino: I LOVE Divergent. I think I might die waiting for Allegiant to come out. I have to wait 4 days after my birthday to read it T_T

@Clock: There are so many good books out there. I <3 Incarnate, it's such a great series. I wish I actually owned the books though, looking at them online, it looks like the color schemes go so well together if you put each book side by side. You have a couple others on the list that I've been wanting to read but I either don't have the books yet or haven't gotten into them yet (Under the Never Sky, Graceling, Elemental). But I'll have to take a look at all of them, thank you ^^

@Dae: For some reason I just can't get through the first book. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to the good parts yet lol.

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Clarius; do you read ebooks? or prefer to get them from libraries/own them?
I've read so many that now I'm having trouble getting into them,
because nothing really feelings original to me anymore.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM

@Clock: I usually read ebooks. With my Nook I can either download the epub version off the internet or buy the book for $9.99 (typically) so it's ends up being cheaper to do it that way. I have to say, I respect books and ebooks, and sometimes I prefer one over the other. Loaning books is so much easier with the physical book, but I find myself getting tired of one book and I'll go on to read another (very convenient since I read 2-3 books at a time typically). It's also convenient for reading at night with my Nook, but very inconvenient in sunny places (drains the battery having the brightness turned all the way up). So I like both in the end!

fishyfey
*^_^*

Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Forest of Hands and Teeth. Best YA book ever! Lots of zombies, but not anywhere near your ‘standard zombie book.’

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Although it's got some adult intentions at times, His Dark Materials trilogy is my favorite young adult series. For some reason, this series made me feel weird in a way I can't really explain and I remember reading it well into the night with the aid of my closet light.

Mika Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 PM

Harry Potter is probably always going to be my all-time favorite, but right now I'm really obsessed with the Mortal Instruments.

Ashteacup

Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 PM

My favorite is the Morganville Vampires series. Its how a Vampire book should be 90% butt kicking. But it is also funny and nail biting. Love it. There's like 12 books in the series so far.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfey View Post
Forest of Hands and Teeth. Best YA book ever! Lots of zombies, but not anywhere near your ‘standard zombie book.’
Hmm, I'm gonna have to check that book out! I just read the synopsis, and it sounds like an interesting book for sure, I've been needing to find some new material to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa View Post
Although it's got some adult intentions at times, His Dark Materials trilogy is my favorite young adult series. For some reason, this series made me feel weird in a way I can't really explain and I remember reading it well into the night with the aid of my closet light.
I started the golden compass, but I haven't gotten very far in it. Part of that might be because I actually have the paperback and recently lost it -_-"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Rose View Post
Harry Potter is probably always going to be my all-time favorite, but right now I'm really obsessed with the Mortal Instruments.
For some reason I just couldn't get into harry potter. I tried reading them a couple times. Although it might have to do with the fact they become movies, I just lose interest because they are so popular. I couldn't get into Beautiful Creatures either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashteacup View Post
My favorite is the Morganville Vampires series. Its how a Vampire book should be 90% butt kicking. But it is also funny and nail biting. Love it. There's like 12 books in the series so far.
That series is on my list of series to start! Haven't gotten around to getting the first one yet though! xD

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 AM

My favourite YA books (I can't just choose one!) are probably the Trickster books by Tamora Pierce. I also recently got into a series by Terri Terry called Slated. Two very different genres.

The Trickster books are part of a larger world created by Pierce, and are fantasy novels, while the Slated series is a book that explores the fine line between utopia and dystopia, and the way things effect different people. I reccommend looking into both.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM

I've been wanting to read the Trickster books! I read the Alanna books, LOVE THEM. In fact I recently re-read them because it had been so long, and I wasn't quite sure if I had finished the last book. I was hoping to read most of Pierce's other books as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Oh wow, Slated sounds awesome! Definitely putting it on my list of books to read!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM

A warning about Slated: The final book in the trilogy isn't out yet, so if you read it, read slow! I'm waiting for Shattered at the moment and it's agonising!

bubblemei
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 AM

Just picking one is heartbreaking! Most things by Diana Wynne Jones are wonderful (her most famous book is Howl's Moving Castle, due to the movie based on it, but my favorite books of hers are Fire and Hemlock and Archer's Goon.)

I'm also in love with Gerald Morris' Squires Tales books. I really love King Arthur and these are really funny and coherent retellings, a definite plus for me.

I read a lot of young adult but I'm not a huge fan of the Supernatural Love Triangle genre that seems to be the big thing right now...

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Yeah, I tend to not read a YA book if it has "the formula" in the blurb.

(The formula being "Ordinary girl, life is changed forever when boy comes into her life, girl is special after all!")

Zimmerdale
To give a shit or not give a shi...

Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 AM

I have a few favorites.
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (first book to tug my heartstrings the way it did)
  • Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (first realistic YA book I read until the very end and loved)
  • The Host by Stephenie Meyer (being that I was never one for sci-fi/futuristic fics, this was definitely a shocker to me that I loved it the amount I did when I read it)
  • House of Night Series: Marked by P.C. & Kristen Cast (I was so in love with the series once upon at time even though I've given up on the series. It was a big part of my life at one point)

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearzy View Post
A warning about Slated: The final book in the trilogy isn't out yet, so if you read it, read slow! I'm waiting for Shattered at the moment and it's agonising!

I tend to not read a YA book if it has "the formula" in the blurb.

(The formula being "Ordinary girl, life is changed forever when boy comes into her life, girl is special after all!")
Hah, recently I haven't been reading as many books as I should be I'm kind of at a point where I want to do other things than read right now xD

So waiting around won't be a problem for me O_O

That sounds like Wicked Lovely! And Immortal City... I'm sure I could go on and on xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblemei View Post
Just picking one is heartbreaking! Most things by Diana Wynne Jones are wonderful (her most famous book is Howl's Moving Castle, due to the movie based on it, but my favorite books of hers are Fire and Hemlock and Archer's Goon.)

I'm also in love with Gerald Morris' Squires Tales books. I really love King Arthur and these are really funny and coherent retellings, a definite plus for me.

I read a lot of young adult but I'm not a huge fan of the Supernatural Love Triangle genre that seems to be the big thing right now...

I LOVED Howls Moving Castle! Guh, the book was so much better than the movie. I tried reading her other series but I just couldn't get into them >_>

Yeah, I can't think of many book series without love triangles... They kind of bug me sometimes. But at the same time, I guess in the back of my mind I know who the character should end up with, I'm just so darn impatient that I'll look towards the end just to satisfy my desire to know >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerdale View Post
I have a few favorites.
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (first book to tug my heartstrings the way it did)
  • Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (first realistic YA book I read until the very end and loved)
  • The Host by Stephenie Meyer (being that I was never one for sci-fi/futuristic fics, this was definitely a shocker to me that I loved it the amount I did when I read it)
  • House of Night Series: Marked by P.C. & Kristen Cast (I was so in love with the series once upon at time even though I've given up on the series. It was a big part of my life at one point)
The first one has an eye-catching title for me <_< (obsessed with stars)

I'll have to check all those out. I'm not gonna lie, I've always read sci-fi/fantasy young adult fiction xD

I've seen parts of The Host movie, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Guess I have to commit to watching it. Oddly enough seeing the movie of stuff first makes it easier for me to read the book, and I can successfully enjoy the book better! I'm not gonna lie, after reading Gravity by Melissa West, I gotta read more books with aliens.

I've seen House of Night all over the place in book stores. I don't know why I never looked at the back cover to really check it out. But now I'm gonna add it to my list for sure! xD

Aganab
Butt

Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerdale View Post
I have a few favorites.
The Fault in Our Stars is definitely one of my favourite books, if not my favourite. It made me cry for hours. All other John Green books are pretty great as well, though certainly not as good as TFiOS.

Another favourite of mine is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which also made me cry for hours. I guess I'm just into absolutely devastating books. I actually read it for school, but soon enough I feel in love with it. It's one of the few good books that I was made to read for English.

Zimmerdale
To give a shit or not give a shi...

Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClariusFlorina
The first one has an eye-catching title for me <_< (obsessed with stars)

I'll have to check all those out. I'm not gonna lie, I've always read sci-fi/fantasy young adult fiction xD

I've seen parts of The Host movie, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Guess I have to commit to watching it. Oddly enough seeing the movie of stuff first makes it easier for me to read the book, and I can successfully enjoy the book better! I'm not gonna lie, after reading Gravity by Melissa West, I gotta read more books with aliens.

I've seen House of Night all over the place in book stores. I don't know why I never looked at the back cover to really check it out. But now I'm gonna add it to my list for sure! xD
The Fault in Our Stars actually has nothing much to do with stars, but it's basically the kind of book talking about two people being star-crossed lovers in the saddest way. That's the best I can really give off without giving spoilers for the book. But it's a book I seriously think everyone should read.

I wasn't too happy with how the movie came out for The Host. It's one of those cases where the book is COMPLETELY better than the movie. And that's saying something being that there are a lot of book adaptations/movie adaptations that I really, really liked (such as Twilight, Perks of Being a Wallflower, City of Bones, Jane Eyre...)

At least read the first four books. If you really get into it, good luck. It's a pretty big series and I've seriously given up on it because I lost track and got pretty far behind on the book. I think I'm six books behind now. I went back to reread the series about four times, but I just couldn't get into it like I was into it at first. But the House of Night series is a good series to have at least tried.

Aurora Jones

Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 PM

The Immortal Intruments by Cassandra Clare
Hands down one of the best series I have EVER picked up!! I own every single one including the prequal series The Infernal Devices

Don't get me started on the movie though.....no me gusta.....

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 10-31-2013, 07:12 PM

I haven't read the infernal devices. I have the first book, but I couldn't get into it.

Haha, yeah... I found it to be a little too fast paced. Though it fit ALOT of the most important events into it.

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 AM

I haven't read a YA novel in a looooong time, eesh. Not so much my favorites, but the ones I can even remember off the top of my head:

I really like Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince when they came out, though I haven't bothered to get the latest book or read any of the author's other books.

The Host by Stephanie Meyer is such a guilty pleasure for me. It's terrible at times, but I love it. Though I cut out the center of the my copy back in high school so I could hide things from my mom in it.

House of Night... Eeeeeeh. The first few books were okay for light reading, but the main character is a complete hypocritical asshat, almost everyone else is an idiot, and... bluh. I don't want to think about it anymore.

But a good vampire YA book that I do suggest? Vampire Academy. While I haven't read any other books in the series, the first one had an interesting take on vampire lore, had a decent plot, and believable characters. That's more than I could ask for most supernatural YA books nowadays.

Also, all of Tamora Piece's novels are brilliant. All of them. As are The Claidi Journals by Tanith Lee, though I don't know if those count as YA.

Of books I want to read, there's Awoken, which is kind of a parody of YA that centers around sexy Cthulhu, of all things. It was crowdsourced, which while I wasn't directly involved with the project, I did watch it begin from "sexy alien book" joke on twitter to seeing it actually being published.

...To be honest, I'd probably read more YA if I could find some good ones with lesbian romance. It's really hard to commit to a genre where 90% of the focus is on, well, heterosexual romance. First world gay problems, I guess.