SeaSaltEyes
Professional Napper

Old 04-12-2014, 01:10 AM

So, The Wheel of Time series has been on my B&N wishlist for like...ever but I'm still a little hesitant to buy them. I know the smart thing would be to get them from the library but I'm really bad with returning library books on time so I end up paying for the book in overdue fees... Anyways, I've heard mixed things about the books so before I go out and buy them has anyone here read the series or at least part of it? I want to make good book decisions!

So, if you've read the book what did you like about it or not and what other books would you say it's like? No spoilers please.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 AM

I've read the first four, and honestly? They weren't that great. I mean, the world construction was amazing, and I loved a lot of the characters, but overall it was trope-filled, and uninteresting. It's your basic high fantasy quest story with no subversion, no twists and no reason to be as long as it is. Basically it's a Tolkien inspired world... but five times wordier.

I do know a lot of people who love the series though, so I wouldn't necessarily discount it on my review.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 AM

I read the first few Wheel of Time books and by the fourth or fifth book, I felt it start to drag out alittle. I fell out of the series and have not tried since. However, that being said, I'm a firm believer in trusting your own judgment. I would suggest you try it out for yourself. The characters were interesting enough, in my opinion. Very vivid, lush world- aside from that, just too long.

nitaraspawn

Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM

I am on book five and so far I'm In love with the wheel of time world. The first book eye of the world drew me in with the rich, complex characters, sub plots and detailing of the land itself. So far I've got few issues, one being repetitive character descriptions. As to whether each book so far can stand on its own....I don't think so IMO.

I'm new to menewsha so I'm sorry for any mistakes I made in posting. This site is so different from the one I'm used to.