Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 AM

I so wouldn't be good at wire wrapping.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
Two outfits are better than one! Do it!
I make my wings with pantyhose (right?) and wire. I found a youtube video once upon a time showing an easy way to make them, and it's great.

I have pantaloon type things made in a shiny burnt orange, two short petal skirts in green and a yellow-y color, I bought a green blouse, but I might make one to match the pantaloons. I just need a corset and a few other things to make it complete. Then I want to make a headdress with stag horns/faux ram horns, leaves, berries....etc. Sorta like this:

I've got so many patterns! I bet I have at least three corset/bodice patterns laying about right now.

I am in the middle of doing it.
That could work quite well. Why didn't I think of doing fairy wings like that before? We should even have some of the materials at home, since we got stuff for that many years ago from a relative who use to do flowers in that technique.

Ooh. That sounds really fancy. And you should definitely try to make a headdress like that.

But if you have so many patterns why not just look at them pick out the one that is the easiest to do and start making a corset from it. You don't even have to use a nice fabric for it, just one that is similar to the one you want to use, only to try it out and see if you need to change some things and basically just get the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
Yeah but I have zero money.
Ah, yeah, that it a problem. I hope that will change soon for you. So how about trying to get better at sewing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
I just tried to wire wrap my little piece of rose quartz and... yeah, that's not happening. @_@ The wire kept slipping off to the side, I couldn't get it tight, and the rock kept falling out. I think in order to be successful I would have had to wrap it so many times that it wouldn't be visible. Maybe I'll read some tutorials and try again, but I think I'm going to have leave wire wrapping to people with more dexterity and patience than I have.

It's never easy the first time you do it. I used to fool around with copper wires when I was younger, so I got some training from that. I guess that's why mine didn't look like a big failure the first time I tried to do proper wirewrapping.
The tips I can give you is try again and again and again until you get it, or rethink your design if you figure out that the one you want won't work with that stone, and lastly have good tools.

Here is also the tutorials I read when I made my jewelry:
1. Freeform Wrap Tutorial by ~tanyquil on deviantART
2.The Jeweller's Guide to Baisic Wire Wrapping by ~pixie-trick on deviantART
3. Intro to Fine Wire Wrapping by ~innerdiameter on deviantART
I hope they can help a little.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 PM

I am thirty four. The chance of me ever getting good at sewing is slim.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Psshh! Don't say that, Kirin! There's plenty of learning left in ya, you just need to be patient with yourself. :3

edit: Assuming you even want to sew. I've started finetuning the things I care enough to bother with, myself.

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-19-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
I am thirty four. The chance of me ever getting good at sewing is slim.
I'm 24 and just learned to knit in more than one direction. I think that if you really want and put you mind to it, then you will be able to learn how to sew. And it is easier to sew on a machine then by hand.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunii View Post
I am in the middle of doing it.
That could work quite well. Why didn't I think of doing fairy wings like that before? We should even have some of the materials at home, since we got stuff for that many years ago from a relative who use to do flowers in that technique.

Ooh. That sounds really fancy. And you should definitely try to make a headdress like that.

But if you have so many patterns why not just look at them pick out the one that is the easiest to do and start making a corset from it. You don't even have to use a nice fabric for it, just one that is similar to the one you want to use, only to try it out and see if you need to change some things and basically just get the hang of it.

Ah, yeah, that it a problem. I hope that will change soon for you. So how about trying to get better at sewing?

It's never easy the first time you do it. I used to fool around with copper wires when I was younger, so I got some training from that. I guess that's why mine didn't look like a big failure the first time I tried to do proper wirewrapping.
The tips I can give you is try again and again and again until you get it, or rethink your design if you figure out that the one you want won't work with that stone, and lastly have good tools.

Here is also the tutorials I read when I made my jewelry:
1. Freeform Wrap Tutorial by ~tanyquil on deviantART
2.The Jeweller's Guide to Baisic Wire Wrapping by ~pixie-trick on deviantART
3. Intro to Fine Wire Wrapping by ~innerdiameter on deviantART
I hope they can help a little.
Kirin, my sister is older than you by a few years, and I'm just teaching her to sew as part of her birthday present! Hand sewing AND machine sewing. She's clueless about it, so I got her a sewing kit, and we're gonna make a skirt first.

Seriously, making those wings is a snap. It just takes time with the painting and everything. I'm too meticulous for my own good. I'll have to look for pictures of the wings I made in that style and post em here.

I need to order some steel boning online and I'll have to get some broadcloth at the fabric store to line it with. I could line a bodice with the same fabric, but it'd be nice if it was reversible.

Also..... tutorials!!!!! *grabby hands* I'll have to watch those tonight!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 AM

No what I want to do is learn more then one crochet stitch.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-20-2013, 04:51 AM

That's all I can do for crochet so far. Lol. But, I saw a cool way to make a necklace with just one row of crochet stitches. So that's something, no?

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 04:53 AM

All I make are scarves.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the links, Tsunii! I'm feeling a bit disheartened as far as wrapping goes for the moment, but now I'm really wanting this necklace I dreamed up, so I'm sure I'll give those a look once I gather my ego back up.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM

I am not evening going to try wire wrapping. I know it would drive me crazy. That and my fine motor skills aren't all there anyways.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Kirin, my sister is older than you by a few years, and I'm just teaching her to sew as part of her birthday present! Hand sewing AND machine sewing. She's clueless about it, so I got her a sewing kit, and we're gonna make a skirt first.

Seriously, making those wings is a snap. It just takes time with the painting and everything. I'm too meticulous for my own good. I'll have to look for pictures of the wings I made in that style and post em here.

I need to order some steel boning online and I'll have to get some broadcloth at the fabric store to line it with. I could line a bodice with the same fabric, but it'd be nice if it was reversible.

Also..... tutorials!!!!! *grabby hands* I'll have to watch those tonight!
Maybe I'll try making a pair when I'm done with my steampunk clothes then. Hmm.. I wonder if I have enough left of those dark brown glittering nylon stockings to make a pair of small fairy wings to the doll I've made. She would look gorgeous in that.

I'm not actually sure if it is such a good thing with a reversible corset. You would probably just end up destroying the steel boning from bending it in different directions every time you put it on inside out. I know that it is quite easy to destroy the steel boning. Like when you put the corset on you can only tie it about half as tight as you want and leave it like that for 20 minutes. Because the steel boning needs time to get used to the form of your body, otherwise it will get bent out of shape and has to be replaced. Also, your body needs that time to get used to the corset.

I have a whole folder with faved tutorials on deviantart. With things like wire wrapping, origami, miniatures and some how to draw and stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Thanks for the links, Tsunii! I'm feeling a bit disheartened as far as wrapping goes for the moment, but now I'm really wanting this necklace I dreamed up, so I'm sure I'll give those a look once I gather my ego back up.
Okay. Just don't give up. And I'm not sure if this is really gonna help, but I can tell you that I got really frustrated when I did my wire wrapping. I have problems with my fine motor skills, always had and always will have. So I bump into things, I really hit my head a lot. I trip over stuff, myself and flat surfaces. And the worst part of it all, I suddenly drop things that I'm holding. So I think you can imagine how annoying it is to be doing wire wrapping or origami and suddenly your hands just lets go of what you're holding and you go like: "That's not what I wanted you to do, you stupid hands!"

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Here's a very belated 'yep, that was totally a weeping angel mask. Also, all of the masks I posted pics of were made using a plastic base and some paper clay. They were then sealed with modge podge and painted with acrylics. However, I also make masks out of papier mache. Will post a few of those once I have some on hand that I'm happy with.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM

I need to get paper clay today. I picked up normal oven bake clay, and I think it's going to be too heavy for what I'm making.....

Quote:
Maybe I'll try making a pair when I'm done with my steampunk clothes then. Hmm.. I wonder if I have enough left of those dark brown glittering nylon stockings to make a pair of small fairy wings to the doll I've made. She would look gorgeous in that.

I'm not actually sure if it is such a good thing with a reversible corset. You would probably just end up destroying the steel boning from bending it in different directions every time you put it on inside out. I know that it is quite easy to destroy the steel boning. Like when you put the corset on you can only tie it about half as tight as you want and leave it like that for 20 minutes. Because the steel boning needs time to get used to the form of your body, otherwise it will get bent out of shape and has to be replaced. Also, your body needs that time to get used to the corset.

I have a whole folder with faved tutorials on deviantart. With things like wire wrapping, origami, miniatures and some how to draw and stuff like that.
I guess I meant reversible in terms of a bodice, not corset. My bad! Yes. reversing a corset would be silly times. I have a bodice now that I flip sides wearing. One side is black, the other is a tapestry navy print.

Glittery sounds pretty! I add liberal amounts of glitter to most projects I work on. ;)

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I need to get paper clay today. I picked up normal oven bake clay, and I think it's going to be too heavy for what I'm making.....

I guess I meant reversible in terms of a bodice, not corset. My bad! Yes. reversing a corset would be silly times. I have a bodice now that I flip sides wearing. One side is black, the other is a tapestry navy print.

Glittery sounds pretty! I add liberal amounts of glitter to most projects I work on. ;)
Ah, you were talking about the bodice. That makes so much more sense. Yeah, a reversible bodice sounds like a good idea.

Oh, it's more like it's a glittering nylon thread is woven in with the dark brown nylon threads, and not loose glitter. I hardly ever use glitter. Maybe it's 'cause I hate it when it get stuck on everything else. Like some years ago I practiced at a kindergarten and this one day they used glitter, a really big amount of glitter, while crafting. I and another grownup got stuck cleaning up all this glitter. And we and the kinds thought it was a funny idea to put the glitter that had gotten on the table in my hair. When I came home later that day I took a shower and tossed my clothes in the laundry. And I can still find glitter among my clothing and bed sheets today. And this was like 4-5 years ago.

Also, I've finally managed to cut out all the pieces for the sample bustle skirt. It took quite some time 'cause I had to smooth it all out and fix the folding over and over again. Apparently my cat loves to roll around in fabrics... -.-
Anyway, I'm gonna start sewing tomorrow for now it's really late here.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 PM

I want to get Sculpy and make myself a sushi plate.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunii View Post
Ah, you were talking about the bodice. That makes so much more sense. Yeah, a reversible bodice sounds like a good idea.

Oh, it's more like it's a glittering nylon thread is woven in with the dark brown nylon threads, and not loose glitter. I hardly ever use glitter. Maybe it's 'cause I hate it when it get stuck on everything else. Like some years ago I practiced at a kindergarten and this one day they used glitter, a really big amount of glitter, while crafting. I and another grownup got stuck cleaning up all this glitter. And we and the kinds thought it was a funny idea to put the glitter that had gotten on the table in my hair. When I came home later that day I took a shower and tossed my clothes in the laundry. And I can still find glitter among my clothing and bed sheets today. And this was like 4-5 years ago.

Also, I've finally managed to cut out all the pieces for the sample bustle skirt. It took quite some time 'cause I had to smooth it all out and fix the folding over and over again. Apparently my cat loves to roll around in fabrics... -.-
Anyway, I'm gonna start sewing tomorrow for now it's really late here.
That's why I love glitter. I'm sure that I have some permanently embedded in my pores.

I dumped some loose make-up quality glitter down a friends shirt because we were going to go swimming at this lake, and I though it'd be hilarious to tease him when he started sparkling in the sun. I said all the preteens would attack him, thinking he was a vampire. I was dying. So funny. He didn't care cause it'd wash out in the water, and so he let me enjoy my giggle. Well, after an hour or two of swimming he still had a majority of it on his skin. Whoops!

Oh nice!!! I can't wait to see how that turns out for you. I'm going to make my ram horns this week to wear next Saturday. Also, I was doing shrinky dink fun with some friends so I made some cute things. Lemme grab a picture she posted on FB.

Here's one I drew before we shrunk them. She used some hipster filter on instagram I think.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 AM

very cute, i didn't know shrinky dinks were still a hting

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 01:53 AM

Shrinky dinks are awesome. They make for fantastic jewelry.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 AM

yes they do...

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 AM

I just bought some Shrinky Dink paper from a clearance table earlier this week! I need to look up how to use it because I can't remember, hehe. Do you get the best result from colored pencil?

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 02:23 AM

I use colored pencil, yes. I've never used markers or anything, so I should try that sometime.. Oven at 325, preheat your cookie sheet with a little dusting of baby powder on it, draw on the rough side, punch any holes before you bake em, annnnnnnd then about two minutes in the oven. :D

If I want two that are the same shape, I use a template and cut them out first. I was seriously using a half full wine bottle last night. ;)

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 AM

why not empty? LOL J/K

primadonna
I love Hot Pockets.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM

I'm working on mass-producing bows! :D I want to open a booth for bows, ribbons, and lolita fashion stuff at an upcoming convention in my area.

Its such hard work, but its fun!

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That's why I love glitter. I'm sure that I have some permanently embedded in my pores.

I dumped some loose make-up quality glitter down a friends shirt because we were going to go swimming at this lake, and I though it'd be hilarious to tease him when he started sparkling in the sun. I said all the preteens would attack him, thinking he was a vampire. I was dying. So funny. He didn't care cause it'd wash out in the water, and so he let me enjoy my giggle. Well, after an hour or two of swimming he still had a majority of it on his skin. Whoops!

Oh nice!!! I can't wait to see how that turns out for you. I'm going to make my ram horns this week to wear next Saturday. Also, I was doing shrinky dink fun with some friends so I made some cute things. Lemme grab a picture she posted on FB.
I feel a bit for your friend. I'm not sure which is worse, to have glitter all over your body or having preteens think you're a Twilight vampire. Though you can't just expect it to fall off while swimming. You have to scrub it of.

I'm hoping that it will turn out good, but it's the first time I'm going to follow sewing instructions in English. All sewing instructions I have followed before has been in Swedish.
You'll have to show photos of the horns when you're done with them. Is there any special reason why you're going to wear them next Saturday?

Those look so cute. But I have to be honest, I have no idea what shrinky dink is. I know what shrinking plastic is since I'm using it in my current job practice, but shrinky dink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primadonna View Post

I'm working on mass-producing bows! :D I want to open a booth for bows, ribbons, and lolita fashion stuff at an upcoming convention in my area.

Its such hard work, but its fun!
So white and cute! That is such a good idea.
And it's good that you have fun at the same time.