Amo_Angelus
(・・^...
Send a message via MSN to Amo_Angelus

Old 11-23-2007, 03:13 AM

Ok so I have just recently drawn a new banner for the adoption thread. My regulars knew I was drawing a carebear and have been updated regulary on how she was comming along, but I don't sign my art...

So now one of my friends comes in and looks and was shocked that I'd drawn it. She thought I'd just found an image and used that. Which could have been avoided if I'd signed. But I don't know how to sign it without detracting from the art.

So do you sign?
Why?
What does your sign look like?

nike13
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 AM

I sign my drawings and add my name to the bottom of wallpapers that I make (with url to my gallery). I do the wallpaper thing because I have had people claim my wallpapers as their own so by adding that little bit at the bottom, it at least makes it a little harder for the person to do that. There is also one wallpaper site I belong to that requires some sort of footnote with your name on it. The bit with my gallery url is to get more attention to my other artwork and basically get others to visit.

Not entirely sure why I sign my drawings, I don't post them online too much anymore because of scanner troubles and me being too lazy to bother fixing it. I just initial it really so it looks like a squiggly set of three letters.

Steinhoff
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM

Hand-made Drawings I Sign, most of then unless it's just a dirt sketch xD
Some Drawings I do on computer I usually do, but sometimes I just forget to. Yet on bigger Images I always sign And put a watermark plus Copyright-thing.

I don't like water-marks/signs and all that, they bother the right view of the image, yet with those art theft there and with the risk of what you said: someone don't believe you did it, what I do is:
© Kerstin Steinhoff [Year]
The traditional Copyright thing, some people put the whole word "copyright" before the symbol. (see the bottom-most of any menewsha page as a sample)
That I put at the Very Top and Bottom of images and in the middle (if don't really bother the image, some times I put it higher or lower) I put a Link to my Deviant Gallery. Everything is made on a color that contrasts the Background and then I chance the opacity to very low, VERY. but still everything readable.

Winggodess

Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 AM

So do you sign? no
Why? my sig. is ugly!
What does your sign look like?

Faunia
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Faunia Send a message via MSN to Faunia Send a message via Yahoo to Faunia

Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 PM

My signature is on pretty much anything I draw that took me more than an hour. But it's not too noticeable to other people really. >> Usually something like this:

But no more than half that size, and the date changes depending on when the picture was drawn.

@ Winggodess: That is quite the signature there. Can I assume that you're below high school in age? Just a guess though. In general, people get less detailed signatures around high school level due to the fact that you have to sign things so much.

Angelin
*^_^*

Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 PM

I usually sign my art since
I sell it at Gaia and there
is this little game of art stealing. ._.;

Penny
*^_^*

Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM

I sign to avoid theft. But I always feel bad because it detracts from the art. I sign my name ALFRED, as small as I can get it. And I try to work it into the picture and do it in a inoffensive color.

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM

I don't sign. It's not really needed. I'm not that good.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM

I sign my art just because I love signing things and it makes the piece of art MORE official looking. XD

I have a lot of signs, mostly are digitally generated. As in no handwritting. hmm...now to think of it, it is not sign, looks more like a stamp.

Titenya
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM

I sign things I draw by hand, but art done in paint i rarley sign, unless i'm doign a a to from banner on it

thrivis
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to thrivis

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM

• Hehe, interesting to know what people prefer to do for signing! :D

I usually sign with my last name and my alias then the truncated year somewhere super small. That goes for hard copies of art...

Harm/Thrivis '07

If I want to post it on the internet, I'll put my last name and my email in a corner of the digital version. All lowercase for no reason.

harm
    [email protected]

Some stuff I don't sign, but I can't think of an instance where I've not signed something recently. Usually gifts for friends I don't sign, they know who did it. :P

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM

I normally sign with the idea of where is the picture going to go in mind. I normally sign with that user name, or a version of it. Other than that, if I don't have an idea, I do not sign work, and at my school, it is discouraged to sign the work,which I find a bit odd, but easy to not have to change habit. At some point I probably should start signing my art, or have something that is distinctively my idea, like hiding a animal in all artwork that is to be published, or I find worthy.

Tiarael
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 AM

O_o mostly i don't really sign my art. I want to, but i forget it everytime ^^' Or i'm to lazy to put my sign/mark under the pic. But when i sign my art, i mostly put it in a bottom corner o_O
Or i write it in the pic, so that it's hard to see (but i know that there is a sign, and when u look hard u can see it :P)

aids
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to aids

Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM

mines a simple M over a G with the year:

zetina
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM

I don't excactly sign my art as I draw with a mouse straight on the computer. But I do add watermarks. I just type my username or gallery adress over the drawing and set the opacity on about 20%.

Watermarks are good o3o

Violet Lace
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Never sign my art. I haven't been able to figure out anything interesting to do with my name (real life name) so I just don't sign my art. I suppose I probably should.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 12-02-2007, 11:54 PM

I sign because I want people to know that I drew it. xD As bad as it may look. My signature is extremely small and hidden in some way where it won't be easily noticed. I scribble it in a hurry so that most people can't read it. It says Anna07, though. The last two numbers change with the year.

Arilu
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Arilu

Old 12-09-2007, 08:33 AM

Yes, I sign my art!

Typically I take into consideration where I'm going to be posting it. I sign at this moment with the handle I use on DeviantArt and Gaia, which is Serene Delusions. (Serene-delusion on da)

In the past I have used my RL initials, but to date I usually just hide them somewhere slyly in the image.

Sweetcooky
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM

When i like my art i give a sign
its a shape of a H
( you might see when i did some art ^^ )

Amo_Angelus
(・・^...
Send a message via MSN to Amo_Angelus

Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Why a H?

Sweetcooky
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM

well its actualy a J and a H in 1
my whole name is Jon de Haan
J&H

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...titled-1-6.jpg
an example of my art ( sign is on the right )

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 AM

I always sign my artwork. I may not be the best artist, but due to seeing a lot of other artists get their work stolen, I'm a bit paranoid about it. I usually sign my name at the bottom of the drawing ion the far right corner(if drawn on paper first), or if I forget to, I type it in the same spot, then lower the opacity to make it harder to erase without it being obvious. Occasionally, I'll place it in the middle of a drawing, if it's a very small drawing, or, if the situation calls for it, I'll place it in the left corner of a drawing.
As for the name I sign, it depends on what I'm drawing, or where the drawing's for. If it's for Gaia, I always use my Gaia name. If it's for my Deviantart site, I always use my standard pen name, unless it's a Maple Story fanart, in which I sign my MS pen name, Mino(named off of one of the characters in that game.)
I try to stick to my standard pen name, but half the time, I can't, due to naming myself something different there.(I have a hard time sticking to one user name.)

Eserel
8U CHARGIN MA LAZERS

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM

I sign so people know I drew it.
And people don't steal it.
Even though my signature is easily removed.
XD
But whatever.
And I don't sign my real name because I don't like giving that info out to people I don't know.
So Its my online alias and people know me by that.
So Its basically the same thing.
:333

teh caustic
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 AM

For online stuff I will sign sometimes. Usually I stick a small [c] or [c 0_0] somewhere and I make it a light gray so it doesn't stick out too much. (username on gaia has a 0_0 behind it. xP)

Morbid Searaphim
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-15-2007, 07:35 AM

My opinion is that signing art is a must if you put it on the internet. I've had a bunch of crappy icons i made on ms paint "stolen". i to argued with a newb on gaia because she said she made it and the entire situation was just a big headache. I water mark all of my images smack in the middle if it's not a commission. It just saves time and braincells.