Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Introduction

I've recently gotten into the habit of outlining stories or novels, but never sitting down and actually writing them. It's easy for me to come up with a plot, but my execution is horrible. (I've been writing a fantasy novel for a year and a half now and only have four chapters down on paper. Pitiful.)

Hence: Knerd's Drabble page. Dedicated to forcing myself to start writing. Once I get in the habit, it will be easier to transfer my skills to larger projects.

I hereby swear to complete 50 drabble projects. Poems, 100 word paragraphs, short stories, reflections, etc. Whatever strikes me at the moment. I am basing my drabbles off a topic list from the LiveJournal community 100_prompts. Once I work my way through their 50 list, we'll see if I have enough strength left in me for more.

Each drabble will begin with what prompt it falls under, as well as what style of writing I'm using to fulfill it.

Edit::
I must be insane, because I'm going for the hundred prompts.

Last edited by Knerd; 05-11-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 PM

Rules

I'm out of habit, I know. My writing style is often very stop-and-go, I know. I abuse commas without a second thought as to their well-being, I know. But none of that is the point of this writing. I'm simply trying to get the juices flowing. I'm all for constructive criticism, but my style is my own. So nyah.
  • Just be polite, it's all I ask.
  • Literacy, please. Even if you're only dropping by to say hello, I appreciate your full sentences far more than you realize.
  • Feel free to drop a comment whenever you wish. Even if you don't plan on reading anything in the page. Trust me, it gives me the warm fuzzies.

Last edited by Knerd; 05-11-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Prompts
  • 1. First Kiss
    2. Final
    3. Numb
    4. Broken Wings
    5. Melody
    6. Rules
    7. Chocolate
    8. Nostalgia
    9. Heartbeat
    10. Stranger
    11. Confusion
    12. Bitter
    13. Afterlife
    14. Daybreak
    15. Audience
    16. Endless Sorrow
    17. Nature
    18. Wishing
    19. Happy Birthday to You
    20. Tomorrow
    21. Oppression
    22. Agony
    23. Return
    24. Protection
    25. Boxes
    26. Hope
    27. Preparation
    28. Beautiful
    29. Lies
    30. Underneath
    31. Hide
    32. Diary
    33. Unforeseen
    34. Conditional
    35. Gone
    36. Clear Skies
    37. Heartache
    38. Wired
    39. Insanity
    40. Foolish
    41. Words
    42. Study
    43. Punctual
    44. Piggybank
    45. Shooting Star
    46. Writer's Choice
    47. Writer's Choice
    48. Writer's Choice
    49. Writer's Choice
    50. Writer's Choice
    Edit::
    51. Fireflies
    52. Pills
    53. Endless night
    54. Crawl
    55. Invisible
    56. Wealth
    57. Power
    58. Desolate
    59. Tissues
    60. Varnish
    61. Careful
    62. Dirty
    63. Circus
    64. Engagement
    65. Junction
    66. Barren
    67. Lipstick
    68. Shirt
    69. Shortbread
    70. Groceries
    71. Speakers
    72. Under the influence
    73. Odd socks
    74. Spatula
    75. Watching
    76. Sweat
    77. Closer
    78. Turning point
    79. Mercy
    80. Under pressure
    81. News
    82. Candy
    83. Rain
    84. Whistle
    85. Needful things
    86. Lawyers
    87. Park bench
    88. Locked
    89. Tongue-tied
    90. Marzipan
    91. Butterflies
    92. Winners and Losers
    93. Abducted
    94. Plugged
    95. Carefree
    96. Writer's Choice
    97. Writer's Choice
    98. Writer's Choice
    99. Writer's Choice
    100. Writer's Choice

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM

• 1. First Kiss
    100 Words

It is a dream. A frivolous, nonsensical dream. To have a boy kiss me on the forehead, where the bridge of my nose meets the eyebrows. It is the singularly most romantic gesture that can be made, if only on the first date. Simple, sweet, never would it involve the two of us sprouting offspring nine months afterward.

Yet it shall remain a dream. To ask so much by asking so little is folly, as any girl can relate. For now, I shall put my lipstick to use and wear Cranberry Shine throughout the night, until morning wears it off.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-17-2007, 02:31 AM

• 2. Final
    100 Words

Hours ticked by amid desperate inquiry and pleas. Questions filled the air as they stood in wait: Was he alive? Did his friends make it through? Is this really the end? Years of anxiety rolled to a climax as the mob pressed themselves against the glass of the building, determined to catch a glance of those inside. From young to old, all steeled themselves for the news: Come morning, there could only be a celebration or a funeral.

Midnight came too slowly. Only then would the doors open, telling the world for once and all Harry Potter's final fate.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-17-2007, 05:30 PM

• 3. Numb
    Poem

one
tall
girl.

she's the one
who laughs
when she walks,

she's the one
who trails
confidence,

she's the one
who is now
curled

on the foot of her bed
squeezing herself smaller

wondering if today
it will all come

and set her mind
free.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 PM

• 4. Broken Wings
    Poem

He doesn’t know how high this songbird flies.
Or that tattered wings refuse to fail-
That though they’re torn and have been wronged,
this songbird swears she will prevail.
With broken wings but recovered heart,
she knows he hasn’t cut too deep-
Our little songbird, determined and true,
takes to the skies with tiny feet
and a sudden, flawless leap.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 PM

• 5. Melody
    Poem

the
tapping
of toes.
on the wood floor.
beneath the balcony.
covered in lights.
that shine through the sky.
tell me right now--
music is key.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-08-2007, 05:47 PM

• 6. Rules
    Reflection / Essay

"The first rule of Fight Club - Don't talk about Fight Club"
A Reflection in the Works of Chuck Palahniuk

As I'm sure many of you know, Chuck Palahniuk is the author of such novels as Fight Club, Inivisible Monsters, and Choke. Pre-teens everywhere have joined his cult of self-destruction and rave about his writings. I, however, hold a much different viewpoint.

New to the genre of transgressive fiction? Then by all means pick up one of his novels. It will blow your mind. Just don't expect it to hold that kind of sway for long. The more you read, the more you experience, the more you are exposed to, the worse his writing will become. By the time a few years have passed and you pick up that first novel again, it will all have turned to crap. That is the problem with Palahniuk.

You grow out of it. It's as simple as that. What once thrilled you as a thirteen year old is now two-dimensional and empty. Palahniuk impressed you because of his sheer shock value - Once you've had time to think over the plot and characters and themes, you've found that there's nothing there. You'll find the same problem when comparing his works: You've read one, you've read them all. Stylistically, his novels are too similar to look at as separate entities. To review one you must at least be familiar with the rest, for they will undoubtably hold the same problems and criticisms.

If you are interested in transgressional fiction, it is my advice to you to dive straight into the genre without bothering this middle man. Notes From the Underground by Dostoyevsky is a must, as is Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. Our Lady of the Flowers by Genet is not for the faint of heart, but Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis would be greatly worth your while.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 PM

• 7. Chocolate
    Reflection

Am I the only woman in the world who doesn't worship at the alter of chocolate?

Candy simply doesn't appeal to me. Many nights, I pass over on dessert. My boyfriend knows to buy me a ton of chocolates for Valentine's Day, because I'll simply give them right back to him for his own consumption. Some where in my life, did my inevitable gene for female chocolate addiction mutate?

I found a bag of M&Ms in the fridge just the other day. It was opened, half gone, and staring up pleadingly at me. My reaction? I put a twist-tie and the top so that the rest of it wouldn't go bad / stale. During the process, my mother spots me with the bag and asks me to toss it over. Those poor little chips were gone five minutes later.

Where did this female stereotype even begin? Chocolate is supposed to be good at relieving cramps, but wouldn't it then also help men when dealing with fatigue? Guzzle some sugar, put the pep back in your step. So why don't we picture our men curled up on a Saturday night with the remote in one hand and some Hagen-Daaz in the other? Lord knows that's what the jilted woman is going to look like.

Could it be taken as a sign of weakness? "I can't do anything else, so I'll just eat." Understandable, with such a prevalence now on eating disorders and such. But how does that bring chocolate into the picture? Eating enough of it will make you sick to your stomach. Wouldn't you ladies out there prefer something that would both fill you up, taste amazing, and actually make you feel good? Chocolate may release endorphins into your blood stream, but even that won't stop you from doubling over with stomach pains. If you're going to choose a vice, at least make it something that will affect you more strongly - Wine, perhaps. Another stereotype that perhaps I'll look into later on.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 AM

• 8. Nostalgia
    Reflection / Free Write

I remember this one time when I was about 8, when my mother convinced me to take part in the Kid's Classic, a running competition for children based off of a marathon in my town. She was volunteering with it for work. Running isn't something I've ever really been interested in, but I had to go anyway simply because that was what she wanted.

I spent a lot of time that morning just warming up on the football field while my mom strolled around and helped with the races. The smallest kids had their footrace right on the field itself, while the older kids had to do laps around the track. I was somewhere in between, so my group had to run about 3/4 of the way around. I remember my age group being called up, and all of us being split into heats, because there were too many to be raced at once. My mom said that she would meet me right on the field afterward. All the kids were lined up on the side of the track, and I was put into the 3rd or 4th heat. I was lined up in one of the outside lanes. I didn't do so well - I spent too much energy in the first part, and was completely overtaken in the end. I didn't even get a ribbon.

The chaperones just herded me, along with all the other kids, into the bleacher section of the stadium so that we would be out of the way. But my mom had said that she'd meet me on the field. I just panicked. The chaperones wouldn't let me back through the gate, so I had to run to the opposite end of the stadium to try to get in there. I was completely out of breath, and my chest hurt. But there was no one guarding the other gate. I slid through and did a little look-left-look-right to make sure that I wasn't going to pass straight through a race. It was like crossing the street. But I had taken about two steps before another chaperone stopped me and re-checked to make sure no runners were coming. She didn't trust me to think that I had already done it myself. She kept me standing there, with her arm crossed in front of me and placed on my shoulder, for almost a minute before she was satisfied and let me go.

I went out onto the field as fast as I could, but I didn't see my mom. I spun around in a circle, but she wasn't there. I think that I just gave up then. I sat down and started bawling. I don't know how much time went by. But eventually, I remember a hand touching my back, and my mom half sitting on the ground and putting me on her knee. But I just couldn't let go of the feeling of panic, and all she thought was that I was sad about the race. A Right then, neither of us knew it at the time, but a friend of my mom's snapped a photo of us. She gave it to my mom days afterward, and it got placed in one of our photo albums.

I found it a few years ago, and tore it to shreds.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 PM

• 9. Heartbeat
    Poem

Five
Four
Three
Two
One
Breath in,
Breath out.

Silent ravings,
Quick wanderings,
My mind meanders
All too much
These days.

"Nobody really likes you,"
The whispers say.
"They just stare at you
Waiting for your next mistake."

I feel very small,
As if I don't exist.
So much time
Is spent wasting away,
Pretending.

Breath out,
Breath in.
The drum beats on
For another day.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-15-2007, 06:22 PM

• 10. Stranger
    Reflection / Free Write

I don't know why, but not only am I a nervous driver, I'm a paranoid driver.

I hate it when someone else is driving behind me. It's as if they're constantly criticizing the speed I'm going. They want me to speed up, they want me to slow down, they wonder how a person like me ever got her license. It's enough to make my driving erratic at times, if I let it.

But more often than not, I'll simply become overly cautious. I'll wait at a stop sign until the entire road is clear before I'll pull out. I'll stay five mph under the speed limit. I'll signal way before I need to turn, but not so far beforehand that they think I'll be going onto another road. I just act like I'm on my road test again, and they're there to judge my every movement.

It's strange how driving affects me so much. On a day to day basis, it doesn't matter to me what the adoring public thinks. I dress how I like, I express my on personality, I don't let random strangers dictate how I carry myself. I will be the same person whether I'm speaking with Britney Spears or Mother Theresa. That's just the kind of person I am - If I can't hold myself together, then there must be something wrong. So why does this 2 ton hunk of metal change that? Who knows. Life is just weird that way.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 PM

• 11. Confusion
    Translation

They are recently in the practical one to describe to the reports or novels, but never I am not based become and in truth to write them. It is easy for me for with a lottery on farcire to come, but my execution is orribile (I has written hour a novel of imagination for the year one and to only celebrate the understood one them on the paper to have. Pietoso.)

Here: The page of Drabble Van Knerd. To force to begin to write specifically. As soon as in the practical one to obtain, it will be easier to transmit my attitudes to me towards the greatest plans.

I swear in order to complete the 50 drabble plans. The poetries, 100 paragraphs of word, the short reports, i bezinningen etc... That that also strikes it at the moment. I base mine drabbles of a directory of argument of communitarian LiveJournal 100_prompts. Once the job I make my way with they 50 a directory of, to see them or they have it enough of force to leave more in me in order.

Drabble will begin everyone with which memory it raises it, as which style to write uses it in order to realize.

They are of the practical one, weet he. Mine to write style it is often a lot
einde-en-gaat, weet me he. I am useful for the virgole without according to thought as far as their well-being, for weet me he. But null of that this is the point to write. I try simple to obtain the juices to strain. They are they for the constructive critic, but my style is mine.

Therefore a lot nyah.

***I know you're curious, so I'll just come right out and tell you - This is a Babel Fish translation of my Introduction and Rules, the first two posts on this thread. I used Babel to translate it from:
English to Dutch
Dutch to French
French to Italian
Italian back to English

Complicated? Or just plain strange?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 PM

• 12. Bitter
    Poem

On nights such as these
When the fog is thick as a ghost
The sky glows with an eerie red
Illuminating the urban sprawl

The great American machine
Heaves sweat and oil into the sky
Thick and wet
Industrial strength
We shake out heads and blink like babies;
The air is too rich.

Turning around will be going backwards
Look ahead, forward to tomorrow.
We’d sing our way through the rain
As the stars cower in hiding
All of them giving in
To the overwhelming
Overpowering
Jungle of traffic lights
Who wail in unison:
Stop! Stop! Stop!

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM

• 13. Afterlife
    One Hundred Words

You never know. It truly is as simple as that.

Throughout our lives, we walk blindly. Overcome by the mystery that is time and knowledge, we allow what little we have to slip straight through our fingers. Our losses are only realized once it has become quite impossible to turn back; The hourglass still stands tall amid the smoke and formidable haze.
Yet, would we have it any other way? Is a brief glance into the future truly any better than the experience?

I do not know, nor shall I ever, for I am content with living in the moment.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 AM

• 14. Daybreak
    Poem

Your eye color is unknown
A mix of beauty love and gold
I wish i saw you more often
So i could stare into them
Forever
For always

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-19-2007, 12:29 AM

• 15. Audience
    One Hundred Words

The porch door slammed behind her as she rushed out of the house, stumbling her way across the lawn, vision impaired by her own tears. I should have gone over right then, but I had no right to interfere. The interloper never does.

The car sped out of the dirveway, leaving tire marks on the manicured grass as the wheels rotated a dozen or so times before picking up traction and propelling her forward. I would have called her name, but I doubt she would have wanted to hear me or my voice.

Could I have done anything but watch?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 PM

• 16. Eternal Sorrow
    Poem

cheap words from a cheap man
one who is angered only by fear
one who is shallow and simple.

he offers no truth
and he is not tender
one who looks nice and
has nothing.

My heart is not broken
or lonely for love,
it is simply bored.
the usual discomfort,
cannot be fixed
by compromising morals.
It's time to evolve.
It's time to change from this
juvinile angst.
We are no longer children,
I have not been for several years,
but stubbornly, I shall refuse to let on.
I'm growing weary
Believing in an empty promise
Holding on to the lovely notion
That love will end this discrimination
Against me

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 PM

• 17. Nature
    Poem

a somber leaf