CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 AM

Ask Staff A Question

Kind of like a FAQ, only it's fully not.

I'm sure you guys get curious about how things "work" on Menewsha. Here's your chance to ask us questions!

You can ask us anything.

But there's a catch: The Staff member who answers can answer with 100% truth or 100% lies. (Or a mixture of both... which is the most fun. 8D )

So that's the risk you run posting in this thread and asking us questions. ;)

So - what are you going to ask us? :)

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Keep In Mind The Following

- Please keep in mind that it's possible that it may take us awhile to respond. A staff member will not be in this thread twenty-four hours a day for the duration of the event. We'll get to the thread when we get to it.

- Any staff member may respond, and it is up to them to keep in mind their Non-Disclosure Agreement and their whim on how to answer the question. So if you ask us something that we, by contract, are not allowed to answer, you will be getting a "100% lie" by way of response. Or we may choose to give you a "100% lie" because it amuses us to. Whichever!

- More than one staff member may decide to respond. It does not mean that one is a truth and one is a lie. They may both be lies or, depending on your question, both may be truths. :)

- You can ask a "group" of staff a question (ie: the AAs, the Devs, the ECT, the CMs, the Mods) - but don't address it to a specific person, please. :) And even still, staff members not of that group may choose to respond. :) So if you asked, "Developers - how long does it take for an item to be pixeled?" someone who is not a pixelist may choose to respond (correctly or incorrectly). ;)

- Please try to ask only one question per post, but you can ask as many as you like. (But no double-posting. ;) )

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Archive of Questions and Answers

(Staff, please edit in your own responses and the question you answered. :) Thank you! :heart:

---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
=O What section of the site are you guys focusing on improving?
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
The woodwinds section. I think their pitch is a little off, but with a little bit of extra practice every morning, I'm sure we can do it! :heart: <--- for our woodwinds! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
I don't think i'm breaking the NDA by saying this, but we plan to totally revamp the Word Game forum. And by revamp I mean expand. Well, by expand I mean assimilate. We plan to replace all existing forums with just the Word Game forum. One giant Word Game forum. ... You won't make any gold, but you can post to your heart's content. ;D
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
For Jelly.

Why do you insist on torturing us with yummy sweets in your siggy that we cannot have? ;-;
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
Boo! I said no asking a specific person!

Therefore, the answer is 42.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
Because I can!! >: D

---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylynne View Post
Question: To all male staff members, what do you think about the staff being mostly comprised of females? 8DD;;

Sorry, just had to ask for some reason. xDD;; <3<3
ANSWERS:
Quote:
I think the guys mainly enjoy being out-numbered xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartuc View Post
It is the only way they can feel in power over males. Especially Jelly >,>; She is abusive behind open doors.
Quote:
I personally have no problem with it. I do tend to shy away, though, from conversations about monthlies, ill fitting bras and how much men suck. I also don't appreciate being taken to our mirror site twice a month and being forced to model any and all new pixels, female items included. When Bartuc joined the team, Kin and I were hoping we'd have a new ally in standing up to the female staff. Turns out though Barty enjoyed dressing up. ... He had a ball with the Valentine commons.
Quote:
I know nothing about this. I enjoyed the vdays when they were released. XD I am no model for the chauvinist female staffers.
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Gun View Post
To any/all Menewsha staff....

=> ___________________________ <=
Do you love me this ^ much?
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Popcorn gun, that depends entirely on whether you are actually made from popcorn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
Almost.... but what are a few underscores between friends? :3
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Question! What really goes on when events are delayed? >83 Something tells me there's more to it than just coding... *evil laugh* xDDD;;
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Rylynne, it genuinely is just waiting on code. This is what happens when we don't have a dedicated coder. One day though...we'll have a slave who has to be online 24/7 and isn't allowed to eat or sleep until all event coding is done and tested/fully working...
Quote:
Truthfully... it's because we're usually too caught up in our weekly Oprah Book Club Meeting. We're a very passionate group with very strong opinions.

Why just the day before yesterday we had our meeting to discuss The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski and CK and Tre got in a heated debate about certain contexts of the book. Words were thrown, tempers flared... but like with each get together, at the end we came together as friends and had a group hug. :)
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
1.) Can I get Nakéd here?
ANSWER:
Quote:
Lol, Sure, Jenny xD
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Oh! Question! Why is Mene's background a gradient blue? Why not something more awesome, like, purple? xDD;; <3<3
ANSWER:
Quote:
Um, because? We didn't get much say in the background colour xD It was blue before, so I suppose it stayed blue when we changed software. Plus it's a pretty neutral colour which is maybe why Ken chose it. Also, graphics weren't/aren't exactly his thing so another reason why very little was changed from the previous layout.
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Here's a silly question~ what was yall doing that made the art/literature section turn from the yellow background, to like...no background at all? I noticed that earlier shortly before this event opened up. :XD
ANSWER:
Quote:
And um, that was Yan, destroying stuff earlier <.< >.>
Quote:
It was Yan! But...it was my fault :lol: I don't know how to alter code, he just does what I say, then goes D: when it messes things up <.< >.>

I was trying to get him to find a way of separating notices so ones in the same forum (like the ones in the Info Desk), don't all appear in the same box, and he fixed that, BUT, because the background for the art section is the same colour as the notice boxes...it eat its table xD oops
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Octopus View Post
If menewsha where donated a super awsome new site layout, would it be used?
Im not really sure which type of staff this question is directed at - Developers, prehaps?
ANSWER:
Quote:
>_>
Strawberry Octopus. About a donated layout...no, basically :lol: Something like that takes a lot of high-level coding, would have to be completely bug free and compatible with all browsers, work with all the site's current code which only someone who's an admin has access too, and so many other things...there's honestly not a snowball in hell's chance that we'd use something that a user had put together, it would be too much of a risk. Hope you understand :sweat:
QUESTION (Part two):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Octopus View Post
And if the user did the banners for the layout, and left all the technical mobojumbo to the nifty loving staff? ;) Im just joking of course. =]
ANSWER (Part two):
Quote:
But we have artists to do banners :sweat: And look around, banners hardly make up much of the layout, do they? None of it, to be honest...
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Speaking of disliked changes... after the male bases were changed there was some talk about the girly-boy bases coming back as an option, is that ever going to happen? I really prefer male avatars, but the shoulders on the new ones just look weird to me. n.n;;
ANSWER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre Le Coco View Post
As soon as the avatar system is remade we will have such possibilities open :yes:
Right now if we were to upload the old bases to the current system, we would need to upload every single eye to fit with it - even if they are the same for the current bases, and i think juru would rather shoot herself than go through that process again
Unfortunately our current system was built poorly thanks to a certain bad coder, but once inso has time/get enough for a full time coder, we should have it fixed up :)

And the male bases were made to be more built and manly like because it was a common complaint between real male users about the old base looking girly when 95% of them wanted something more defined :yes:
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atashi83 View Post
I have a question for staff -

Where did Yumeh get his or her name? Is it Japanese influenced? If so, why did you add the h?
ANSWER:
Quote:
I honestly wouldn't have the slightest clue ^^; Some decision from the original dev who is no longer with us
----

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndel View Post

Hehe I love Yumeh as a mascot... Even if he does scratch me more often than not. >.>;
I do wonder how he keeps that crown on his head though. XD

Hey there's one. How does Yumeh keep his crown on? XD
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
As a cat, Yumeh has superb balance, so I imagine he's very good at keeping his crown upright. However, I could have sworn I saw a hair clip under there...
Quote:
Jelly superglued it on! isn't she terrible :lol:

----

QUESTION:
Quote:
Is Yumeh a girl or a boy...? xDD;;
ANSWER:
Quote:
Good luck trying to lift Yumeh and double-check, but I'm pretty sure he's a boy.
Quote:
Yumeh is a transgender robot from the future :insane:

---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblackrose View Post
I have a few questions:

Will there every be a Yumeh plushie?

If there was a Yumeh plushie do you think that Yumeh would be honored or would get pissed about it and destroy all the plushies?
(That would make an awesome April Fools joke)
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Someday if we can work out a deal with Yumeh's manager (since he's quite strict on how his image is to be used) then we may get a plushie likeness. You can bet the plushie would be of the finest quality or we'd risk Yumeh taking a claw to them.
Quote:
Why would i waste my time pixeling a yumeh plushie :talk2hand: Imma not going to let that little beast destroy my beautiful pixels :P lol
I've been thinking about it, maybe sometime in the future :)
Quote:
Yumeh has been being a bitch lately. He has been pissed off since I took part of his cut from the slippers and put it into Abel's underground gambling ring where I lost them all because Magnus pulled his out a shotgun and held it to my head. He wasn't happy he lost and he mugged me then dumped me off in the middle of an intersection, tied up, naked. Yumeh has been mad since then and refused to do any more publicity items until I pay him back.
----

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmereina View Post
How was your trail moderation/administration/developerination/event coordination like? ^^ I mean did people give you a hard time at first? And how did you feel when you got chosen? I am curious to your reactions. I know most would be excited ...but i recall some would be reluctant to take on the positions because it would mean dealing with the users...lol :)
ANSWERS:
Quote:
Oh a thoughtful question. Well in that case, I'll be a little more serious. I think I was one of the few staff members that has been spared any serious confrontation. We all get a little lip now and again, but I don't think I've gathered myself any enemies via modding.

But then again, now that I'm an event coordinator I tend to hide deep into the staff cave and merely catch wind of stories from the outside. When I emerge it's only at night and I skulk along the shadows. >__>
Quote:
Well my chains and shackles are still here after 1 and a half years, so i think im still in it >.> lol
I was rather excited to join a team that wanted me =D After my crappy experience elsewhere, it was lovely to come here :) Im not sure if i was bullied more within staff or by users though xD; Being a dev is hard work!
Quote:
For me, it was really confusing. :lol: The invitation comes outta left field and I never woulda expected it. It's difficult at first, learning your duties and such, but it's something you grow into. I didn't get a hard time from staff, of course. Everyone's great. I did run into a couple of problems with users, but for the most part you guys are amiable bunch. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
Let's see... To be honest, after I'd decided to stick around Menewsha, I'd hoped sometime in the future I'd be picked. It wasn't too long after I'd decided I'd enjoy being staff here that I got the PM invitation to become a Trial Moderator. I remember asking Jelly if she was sure. I hadn't been a member of Menewsha all that long at that point.

The next few months are a blur. I remember the torture chamber and the cookie deprivation. There were pillows involved in unspeakable ways. I don't like to talk about it.

Soon after they released me from the chamber I applied to be on Event Coordination - a team that was just forming. I did well enough to be accepted and some months later became Captain of the team.

I suppose the Lair got a little too quiet, or I was being too pushy with needing things done for events, because I was given a pink ninja outfit to wear almost a year to the day I arrived at Menewsha. >_>; Another round of torture ensued, but I suppose since that was around when Insomniac came on board, the other AAs didn't want to give him the wrong impression and took it easy on me. Though they still poke me when no one's looking. :cry: Right between the ribs where it really makes you go >nnf!< too! :cry:

More seriously - it's not as easy as people think it is. It's not a paid position, to be on Staff for Menewsha. And you have to make difficult choices all the time. Is something within the rules? Is this person being honest? Do we have enough proof about something before we act? Do we use the Iron Maiden or the Rack? Y'know, difficult choices. But thankfully the majority of the users here make all the hard work worth the effort.
Quote:
Well, trialing wasnt to bad. I learned quite a bit and asked alot of questions. Everyone was fairly helpful. When I was asked to make the image map tutorial right after I became a trial. All the staffers were real nice and helped me since I had never made an 'official' thread before. I always half-assed things like that. I find it hard to be serious in some things. Being chosen was a surprise. I had been receiving some PMs from all kinds of staffers for CIs at the time. I got online to another PM and I was expecting to be asked for CIs. When I read I was being asked if I wanted to trial I was kinda in shock. I asked questions, then went outside and smoked, got some food, and went back to my room.
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hime* View Post
How and where do you guys brainstorm about new developments on Mene?

Is there some ultra-secret dungeon where all the mods unite?
ANSWERS:
Quote:
In the deepest depths of hell there is a little dungeon where all the AA's whip the devs to make new things >.>; We were stuck in there for weeks on end at one point...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
Tre is correct. >_>; Actually, we have three levels of dungeons for the Devs, just like the three circles of Hell. And then in our regular torture chamber we generally make a thread every month to discuss Contribution Items.
Quote:
We do it in Word Games where nobodies goes. There is a thread in there we use all our mules to hold a chat in. Afterwords, we go through and clean house, make cookies, and act like n00bs with super 1337 chat speak so no one will know the new ideas coming out.
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
How old is the youngest staff member? o3o
ANSWER:
Quote:
@Dystopia ~ Ferra. She's only seven and a half years old.
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndel View Post

So what goes into picking trial mods? I mean like...what specific things are looked for and such since I am assuming it's not just point and label. lol
ANSWER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post

Point and label? Never!
We have a huge dartboard with everyone's name on it. When we need a new staff member, we just throw pointy objects at the wall until one hits a username.

There used to be a big spinny wheel for these kind of decisions, but we decided that sharp objects are more fun.
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentenpuff View Post
I have a question for all the staff out there:
If a train is traveling at 32 miles per hour due south with a boiling tea kettle balanced on the grill, and another train is traveling at 75 kilometers per hour due northwest with a load of hot-pink/magenta, heck, maybe even periwinkle cargo, how many licks does it take to get the the center of a Tootsie Pop?
RESPONSE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
That depends entirely on whether or not it's a Japanese tea kettle or an English one.
CLARIFICATION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentenpuff View Post
It's Eurasian.
ANSWER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Oh - that makes it easier, then. :3 The answer is "Agnes".
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Question! :>

Doesn't Cecilia get lonely with being the only girl her age around in Menewsha? =O Will she ever have a playmate in the future?
ANSWER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
Well, there are Penny and Evan, who are a little older at twelve years old, but I think they probably take the time to play with her. :) And there are other children of the proper age on Menewsha... They just don't come into the storyline. :)

Also, one of the other reasons Cessy doesn't really get lonely is she doesn't live on Menewsha year-round. ;) She splits her time between living with her grandfather here on Menewsha and spending time with her parents on the Mainland. But because of their jobs, they don't spend a lot of time at home, so that's why Cessy lives with her grandfather and you don't see her running around all the time. ;)
---

QUESTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmereina View Post
Will there be an Easter event? or just a hand out.. or a limited item release like the St. Pattys? ^^
ANSWER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
There will be an event. :)

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 AM

IN SOVIET MENEWSHA - STAFF ASK YOU

Feel free to answer at any time. :)

Quote:
I have a question for the users. Kind of goes in line with a previous question asked.

When the events get delayed for any reason what-so-ever. Why is it that ya'll freak out? I know events are fun and all but people freak out about why they aren't able to go into the forum at the general release date range.

Another question:
In the future, what do you want to see out of menewsha? What would you like it to become?

You may post now, if you like. XD Even though you currently have no idea what this thread is about. >_>;
EDIT: Nevermind - now it's ready to go.

Rylynne
your resident bonafide coffee ad...

Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 AM

FIRST POST CLAIMED! 8DD;; <3

/is shot >.>;;

Actually, we do have an idea of the thread, somehow. =P Imma wait for it the be completed though before I ask stuff. xDD;; <3

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 AM

LOL. Well - now you have an even better idea of how this thread will work. ;) I've finished editing the thread now. :3

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 AM

Rylynne

Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 AM

Oh, how interesting. =O <3

There's no limit to how many questions we ask though, right? :>

Burnt Biscuits
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 AM

For Jelly.

Why do you insist on torturing us with yummy sweets in your siggy that we cannot have? ;-;

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
The woodwinds section. I think their pitch is a little off, but with a little bit of extra practice every morning, I'm sure we can do it! :heart: <--- for our woodwinds! <3

Quote:
Oh, how interesting. =O <3

There's no limit to how many questions we ask though, right? :>
It'd be better to ask one per post, but barring double-posting rules, there's no end to the number of questions you can ask. :3

Quote:
For Jelly.

Boo! I said no asking a specific person!

Therefore, the answer is 42.

Rylynne

Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 AM

Well, nevermind my previous question about how many questions we can ask. xDD;; I'll just ask something for now. =P

Question: To all male staff members, what do you think about the staff being mostly comprised of females? 8DD;;

Sorry, just had to ask for some reason. xDD;; <3<3

Edit: @ CK : I meant the number of questions we can ask in total. :3 Thankies for answering btw! =D <3

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 AM

Ooooh - good question. :3

I think that - merely out of fear for their lives - their responses will be amusing. 8D

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 AM

Pfft. Is this one of those "Say something flattering or be kicked in the family jewels!" situations?

Rylynne

Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 AM

Lolz. xDD;; I wonder who will answer though. 8DD;;

And Anna, maybe? 8DD;; CK does have a sword... o_o;;
But, unless Inso answers, then no, probably not. xDD;; <3
Either way, it'll be interesting indeed... >83

*waits for an answer patiently*
xDD;;

Eroy
(^(エ)^)

Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 AM

Hehe, this is a fun thread xD

I'd answer your question ry but I'm not a boy :lol:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
For Jelly.

Because I can!! >: D

And I think the guys mainly enjoy being out-numbered xD

Rylynne

Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 AM

@ Eroy : It says that you don't have to be part of the group in question to answer, so feel free to. 8DD;;

@ jelly : Is that an answer to my question? 8DD;; <3

Btw, LOLOLZ at your new siggie! xDDDDDD;;

Popcorn Gun
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Penpal

Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 AM

To any/all Menewsha staff....

=> ___________________________ <=
Do you love me this ^ much?

x' D

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 AM

Popcorn gun, that depends entirely on whether you are actually made from popcorn...

Rylynne, what pic did you see? :ninja:

Rylynne

Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 AM

@ jelly : Secret. >83 <3

Question! What really goes on when events are delayed? >83 Something tells me there's more to it than just coding... *evil laugh* xDDD;;

Jennifer
High fives are pretty great!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 AM

1.) Can I get Nakéd here?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Lol, Sure, Jenny xD

Rylynne, it genuinely is just waiting on code. This is what happens when we don't have a dedicated coder. One day though...we'll have a slave who has to be online 24/7 and isn't allowed to eat or sleep until all event coding is done and tested/fully working...

Rylynne

Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 AM

Oh wow, a truthful answer? =O I was half expecting a funny one. xDD;; <3

But thankies for answering, jelly~ :3 And I hope you don't take my question as being impatient or ungrateful or anything. D: I don't mean for it to come across that way. :x

But, poor future slave though. xDD;;

Jennifer
High fives are pretty great!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM

Awww. You supposed to be like, "NU FOO! Only on Wednesdays!" :oops: Just a question I remember someone asking when I worked at the local market. They was talking about Naked Juice, but all he said was, "Can I get naked here?" Everyone was like, "D:!!" Then Randy was all sarcastically, "Uh...only on Wednesdays." Then the guy explained what he really meant. :lol:

Anyway, I had a better question to ask. But you made me forget it. ...yeah, that the excuse. C;

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 AM

I has a question, what are you doing with MY potato in your sig!