JChanOfTheCan
Gingernuts

Old 09-19-2013, 05:20 PM

your loss

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 PM

I used up the last of my sheet of pastry with a similar thing as before. This time I sliced up a bratwurst, the last of my baby plum tomatoes, and some goats cheese, and eat it with the rest of my purple sprouting. An odd combo maybe, but I enjoyed it xD

The pastry wasn't fully cooked under the topping this time. I don't know whether that's because the bratwurst was a denser topping, or because this was the end of the roll of pastry, so quite tightly rolled, and would have been colder when it went in the oven. Supposed to let it sit for 10 minutes after taking it out of the fridge, which I didn't do I expect another couple of minutes would have done it, but that also would have burnt the edges ><

Definitely going to get some more frozen pastry though, if I see some more that's all butter. Because this is such a quick and easy option, and a great way of using up odd bits and bobs. :D

Last edited by jellysundae; 09-22-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Looks delicious, Jelly! So is it just a flat dough that you're dressing up with what's on hand? *taking notes *

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 AM

Yep, it's just a piece of store bought ready-rolled puff pastry (all butter, not some nasty tasteless stuff made with vegetable oil), didn't roll it out any more or anything. Greased a baking sheet with some coconut oil so it didn't stick (just slide right off, much better than when I used butter before) and top with a bit of whatever I fancy. Veggies of course work beautifully because this cooks for just 10 minutes or so at 220 degrees C (200 for fan assisted like my oven, 420 or so for you guys) so they're cooked by not mushy.

I got 3 meals from the one pack of pastry, cutting a strip about 4 inches wide from it each time. The second time I put sliced yellow pepper and cherry tomatoes on it, and cracked an egg in the middle area, having built ramparts with the veg to stop it from escaping. I gave that about 7 minutes then sprinkled mozzarella on top. That tasted nice, but the edges did get quite dark before the cheese was golden. If I did that again, I think I'd precook the veggies so I could add the cheese at the beginning of the cooking time.

Also, softened veg would mean I could add more veg as it would squidge together a bit , which would also make it easier to contain the egg. I'd seen pics on Pinterest and so on where people cook an egg in a ring of pepper or onion, but they much be bloody big peppers and onions to be able to hold an egg without overflow!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Taken out of the Menewsha community context the title of this thread is actually an interesting yet funny thought. "Jelly burns stuff"

When I'm learning to cook something new, which is rare, since I hardly cook at all...I try to make it as exact to the recipe as i can be bothered...usually this means sometimes omitting certain ingredients that don't seem crucial to the success of the final product, because I don't have them in the house.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 AM

That sounds great, Jelly. I'll have to look for some pastries like that myself! I like the idea of putting some stuff together then putting it in the oven and walking away.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Cherry, you just described my typical cooking method

Ling, congrats for sticking to recipes better than me! I honestly basically never use recipes in the first place, which is why I tend to just throw stuff together

I did this thing with diced turkey and tarragon and mushrooms. It turned out pretty tasty, but I don't have a clue about what I actually put in it/did with it, apart from I know I stirred some Greek yoghurt into it once it was cooked.

In current news, I just made a sandwich of pastrami, goats cheese and watercress, on brown multiseed bread. It was nom! :D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 AM

My typical cooking method is sauteeing whatever vegetables I have on hand, mixing in some kind of a grain, then spicing it and hoping it tastes good. But of course that's a bit more labor intensive since not only do you have to wash and cut the vegetables, you've also got to stand there the entire time it's cooking. >< I'm a tired person, dammit, let me go sit down!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 AM

I like to challenge myself by cooking noodles. A couple of minutes for the water to come out to the boil, and 4 minutes for the noodles to cook. So I have 6 minutes to throw some things in the frying pan to eat with them

Hmm, I have a pic in the depths of my photobucket of some I did once. Because I told someone I was cooking noodles, and took offense when they assumed I meant some nasty student food out of a packet, so had to show them what I'd actually cooked xD

Here we are.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 AM

Ooh, that looks delicious! And I have a vegetable mix just like that... I think I'll make something like that for dinner!

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 AM

After going through this, I suddenly have a craving for veggies and noodles. I may have to satisfy it with some kind of stir-fry concoction tomorrow night if it persists.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 AM

So when does jelly start burnin stuff?
You're doing a great job cooking o.o

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 PM

I don't take pictures of anything that I incinerate

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 AM

Got some live cooking going on right now! Making a "pizza" of sorts out of a tortilla >< Spread it with garlic and herb soft cheese, topped with sliced up pastrami, yellow pepper an cherry tomato, and some mozzarella.

Before:

Is it going to end up incinerated...find out in a few minutes

---------- Post added 09-29-2013 at 03:19 AM ----------

I didn't burn it! \o/

And have just folded it in half so I can eat it, this was quick and easy and is tasty, I'll do this again :D

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Nice!
That looks very tasty. Using a tortilla to make a pizza is a really cool idea

I've been craving pizza for weeks too...

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM

It was tasty :D I was afraid the tortilla would brown before the topping was cooked enough, but it worked out just nicely. It's a good lunch option I think, not too filling, but definitely enough to keep you going nicely, especially if you had some salad with it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM

I tend to stick it in the microwave for a short time if I need the toppings to cook sooner.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 AM

Microwaves and tortillas are not especially compatible though. They soften them, then after about 20-30 seconds they start to go hard, and then they burn... If you time if just right they go crisp, which is great, but if you let it do for too long, charcoal!

So microwave's not really an option for making sure toppings on one are cooked.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-30-2013, 02:33 AM

If you sprinkle a bit of water on them beforehand they end up just fine for me...
I sometimes use it to melt cheese before it goes in the oven.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 AM

... Oh, duh. Tortillas, why didn't I ever think of that! I have a bunch, I might just have to steal your idea for tomorrow's dinner. Roughly what time and temperature did you cook it at?

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 AM

I'm so jelly of you Jelly!
Your stuff looks so good!
I have like zero cooking skills. I got it from my mom, and I can't undo it. I'm trying. The only thing I can do is make sweets. Lots and lots of sweets. I'm pretty good around the holidays making turkey and pie, but that's about it. Spaghetti is my go-to meal. That's about all I can make.
[I'm a failure as a wife! D;]

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 AM

Pistachio... just marry a chef

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 AM

Too late, Poet. I've already found my life partner. He's better than I am, but I'm the wife... D;
I really do try, it's just my tastebuds are dull or something. Everything always seems to need more flavour.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 AM

Ah... well at least he knows how to cook if all else fails

I'm kinda the same way... I like stronger flavoring, though I don't like spices... =/ so I get stuck there...