The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 AM

Ah yeah, not neon

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 AM

Hmm... I haven't really gone exploring a lot in my town. It's... not the most exciting place to live, at least imo. xD But I'm getting to know some groups, like a writing and "general geekery" group at the local college. So we'll see how that goes! :)

I do like going to the yarn shop. :3 Alllll the knittin's!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM

You have a dedicated yarn shop? Awesome! I don't even knit or crochet anything, but I love looking at yarn. Just imagining all the cool things it could be turned into. My mom does knit, so sometimes I can convince her to make something for me.

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Yes! There's a small yarn shop. :) The woman who owns it is really nice. And yes, I love looking at yarn. And all craft supplies. XD

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 10-05-2013, 03:25 AM

Here are some photos I've taken, of street art.

Just one of the murals

A tree with a knitted top

One of the more interesting looking fountains

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 AM

This is a great idea for a thread! I've enjoyed everyone's pictures so far.

I'm still kind of new to my current town and just emerging from the hottest summer of my life so I haven't been out exploring a whole lot yet, but one thing I like about this city is that there is a lot of interesting art installed around. Some I'm sure was sanctioned, but others just pop up. I'll try to snap some pics of some of the pieces on my regular driving route if I can find a spot to pull over on the way home tomorrow.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 PM

Those photos are so cool, Ling!

Here's some street art and sculptures I've encountered in my recent explorations.

Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view
Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view

The eye stencils are on a particle board wall hiding construction next to a side walk, and the rest are in sculpture parks. The bunnies, birdboy and helmet are from the St. Louis City Garden, and the eyeball and tree roots are from Laumier Sculpture Park.

And while I'm at it, I'll talk about/show pictures of where I went for my birthday a few months ago! The St. Louis City Museum is this super cool building full of donated architecture assembled into this really cool tactile experience. There's a series of indoor caves to explore:
Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view
And within those caves are these sort of tunnels made of bars that you can climb up into and stand above everyone:
Click on thumbnail for full view (hard to tell, but I'm about 8+ feet up)
Lots of pretty decor:
Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view
A "skateless skate park" consisting of skate ramps that you run up (didn't get a picture, but I still have a scar on my ankle from where I fell and skidded down), a ten story slide (plus a lot of smaller ones), a ferris wheel on the roof, an old schoolbus hanging off the edge of the roof that you can go inside, plus... this:
Click on thumbnail for full view (not my photo)
Basically what it would be like if the play area at a McDonalds was made huge and scary and out of iron. Tons of tight winding spiral staircases, catwalks, ladders, tunnels made of bars (note the people in the curved tunnel near the top), and two little old airplanes you can go into. It's huge and fun and a little bit scary (I was up there on a breezy night - things shook a little bit)

The coolest thing about it is that they're constantly adding onto it. The building it's in is ten stories high, but only three have development in them yet. They're going to fill that building over time. They're currently building a castle from huge stones donated from a home that's to be demolished. And since I can't hope to cover every neat little thing it has, here's the google image search results, which show a lot more. Forget the arch, if you're ever in Saint Louis, go to the City Museum.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 AM

That museum looks super cool, Cherry.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 PM

I want to live there.

Penella Goldeater
*^_^*

Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 AM

Cherry, cherry you make me wish I had more time to play in my backyard.