Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 AM

Hey guys! Just wondering if any of you have done a beauty subscription box or have currently done one? Lets share our experiences and/or our contents of our boxes!

Even though money is pretty tight around here I will admit to being subscribed to both BirchBox and Ipsy subscriptions. They're both $10 a month and they both are 4-5 beauty items. I just got my Ipsy bag last week, and I'm expecting to get my Birchbox by Tuesday. I'll have to take some pictures of both.

I'm torn as to which one I like more. Ipsy has bigger sized items, and I absolutely adore their little monthly makeup bags they come in. Birchbox, on the other hand, has the ability to earn back 5 points a month towards their shop if you do their surveys (which I do them monthly) so you essentially only pay $5 a month when all said and done. You can crib your points for up to a year, and they do random seasonal boxes as well.

I would run and grab some pictures for you right now but I'm already up pretty late. Let me know if you're curious though and we can share what we got and what we thought of products. :3

Referral Codes:
Birchbox - Discover your next everything | Birchbox
Ipsy - ipsy: Exclusive Beauty Finds by Our Stylists for YOU

Last edited by Izumi; 09-16-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 AM

So do you get samples, I assume, not full products?

Wonderlands
Super ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Im not much of a beauty person but Last year I got a huge obsession with watching people open their monthly beauty boxes on YouTube. So I went on a search to find one that I liked the best which I think at the time was both ipsy and birchbox but alas, they didn't ship to Australia. A lot of subscription services that look super cool don't ship here which is a bummer but I did find one that was actually based in Australia and Singapore called bellabox. Singapores boxes are so much more nicer but I can't complain. ^__^ I got a yearly subscription and I think it was.. $160. The items within my boxes started off really neat and towards the middle it got a bit boring. They seemed to focus on natural/sustainable products that did nothing for you a lot but towards the end it got pretty good. I didn't renew my subscription though.
I found my most favourite product ever thanks to it actually! The Klorane Dry Shampoo. Loves it. Now my drawers are full of weird things that ill probably never use. I only subscribed to it for the excitement of something coming each month.

I want to get another box again but it probably won't be beauty related. Bellabox has a kind of sister box called Harvest box (I think.. I'm too lazy to google) where they send you snacks and stuff but what I REAAAAALLY want to get is Shoshbox. They send you Japanese food but they don't ship out of the US yet. I'm waiting for the day...

Cherry Who?: In my experience the majority of items you get are just samples mostly to do with skin care but occasionally you get full sized products. One of my favoueites was a full sized body conditioner from Lush. Most of the time if you get a makeup product they are full sized.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Yep, Wonderlands is right. Most often than not you get a generous sample size of something. Ipsy typically gives you full sized, if not really generous sized items. Birchbox tends to be a bit more skimpy, but if you do your reviews you get 5 bucks back in credit towards their store.

I was hoping to have enough time to take some pictures this morning to show you guys, but I ended up having to run out and do a few errands...let me see if I can steal my contents picture from the website. It's neat as I can log in and see ahead of time what is shipping, however the colors can vary so there is still some surprise.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 08:00 AM ----------

This is my BirchBox this month:

And let me do a quick photo of what I got in Ipsy.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 08:05 AM ----------

Here is my Ipsy contents this month:

The only 'sample size' here was the mascara I got there. The kohl pencil, lip crayon, eye shadow and that highlighter pencil all appear to be full size.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 08:07 AM ----------

Also one final edit -- I added referral links on the first post in case someone was wanting to sign up for it. :3 I find it to be fun. I love wearing makup. In fact I have rosacea on my cheeks that if I don't wear makeup just looks pretty blah.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Hmm, that's interesting! So I assume they send you stuff that's appropriate for your skin tone, type, etc.? Can you also request not to receive certain types of products? For example, I hate wearing lip gloss, would there be a way to say "no lip gloss ever"?

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 AM

With both subscriptions you fill out a 'beauty quiz' which helps them assess what type of skin tone you have, and your makeup preferences/experience. (Whether you're a 'pro' or just a light user) They then 'build' a box on items they believe would match your skin tone and preferences. I remember with the Birchbox quiz they asked specifically if I liked getting perfume samples and I put something about not really caring for them, but you know the occasional sample is OK. I know that in the first two boxes I got from Birchbox I got tanning items. First month it was a tanning lotion that smelled fabulous and it worked really well. It didn't actually tan your legs, but gave you that temporary glow and looked nice. The next month I got a tanning towel. Both of them were decent products, however I'm pretty pale and I don't really typically go for that type of stuff. I did send them an email and said hey I appreciate it being that time of year for selling that type of product, but I would prefer not to get it. They wrote me back and apologized and said basically there isn't a way to specifically ask for that product not to be sent, but that they tried to keep it varied enough so that you're not getting it on a regular basis. The third box I did not get any tanning products. (I'm actually in love with this month's box -- the only thing I was only so/so about was the sunscreen as it's September and we're kinda starting to get a bit cold but I will use it nonetheless. Also I don't like the single serve packet it came in either, as I can't easily close it off. I still probably have a couple days worth of usage.)

Each month you go onto Birchbox's website and you'll have a Subscription box section which will show you what you got in each month with a picture of all items, and the ability to place an order for the full size amount. You can then click on that link, leave a survey and get 10 Birchbox credit per each survey you do. Once you get 100, you can then start to cash them out. 100 = $10 towards in store. The month that they have a certain item in the box you get free shipping on that item, and they're constantly sending me codes for 20% off or for special promos they're doing. You can do up to 5 surveys a month and basically earn half of what you pay back in store credit. The other really awesome thing about Birchbox is they really are a variety and don't focus on any one specific product. Skincare, haircair, makeup, nail polish, etc.

OK Now Ipsy has bigger sized items, but they pretty much focus on makeup. Some skincare and haircare is thrown in from month to month, but you're guaranteed to get mainly makeup. You get large sizes of makeup, though, and like I said a really cute bag to store it in each month to go along with their 'theme'. When you get your bag you also get a special section of the website to leave reviews. These reviews actually tailor your items more to what you're looking for as they specifically ask you if you want to see more in upcoming subscriptions. Ipsy does not do a shop, though, but has a point based system for referring people and also posting your makeup tutorials, etc on there. Once you get enough points you can cash out for extra product. (They've recently revamped the whole points process, so I'm pretty new to that as well...)

Each of these subscriptions are a flat $10 and you can cancel at any time -- however they are subscription based and will auto renew each month until you cancel. Each one also has a 'waiting' list. Birchbox I got on theirs within a couple of weeks. Ipsy took a month. That being said, if you do your surveys each month with Birchbox or if you're on Ipsy you will get your money's worth. Some months on Birchbox I have been not quite as excited about, but I figure once I do my surveys I'm only paying $5 a month and they're probably eating most of that in postage. That and I'm a sucker for having a surprise and having something new to try.

I'm absolutely loving having the variety of products to try. Now instead of shelling out major bucks for some so so mascara or other product I can get a sample and get typically a few uses out of it before it's gone. If I love it, great I can get more but I'm finding most things are good but when I take a look at the price of said item that maybe it isn't something I just have to have. That being said, I am enjoying switching it up and I don't feel quite as guilty if I'm not totally into one item. I've had a few different drugstore brands I've gotten that have been kind of disappointing and I end up just letting it sit before I toss it out.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 08:45 PM ----------

OK and before I have to run again -- I did try out the juice beauty facial peel and the eye serum I got in my Birchbox today. I don't know if I'm completely sold as I want to use them a few more times to see if I notice any real difference. Both sizes are generous though that I should be able to get several applications out of. I'm loving the packaging sizes this month as I said I only had the one sunscreen that is non-resealable.

I've already been into the Chella highlighter pencil in my Ipsy bag this month several times, as well as the kohl eye liner. The liner is very long lasting and I'm impressed. The Chella highlighter seems to have a few uses and is a versatile product. I've never had pencil formed anything that you had to sharpen for makeup so I actually ran out and bought a sharpener for like a 1.50 for it. I've also used the travel sized mascara I got several times. I've only had the bag for a week and I've gotten about 4 days worth of makeup thus far. The eyeshadow I got in Ipsy is a very natural/neutral gold shade and it's nice for those days I want just a little bit of shimmer but not go super crazy with color. I pop it on a thin layer of eyeshadow primer from milani (pretty awesome stuff -- if you wear eyeshadow it is definitely a must for primer, and I am liking the Milani version. I've read a lot of positive stuff, especially for it being a drugstore brand.) The pop lip crayon I've only used a couple of times. It's a very neautral shade, tastes minty and has OK wear. I'm not like super impressed, but I'm thinking it's decent. Not something I would be rushing to buy more of though.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the details.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 AM

Sure thing Cherry! Let me know if you want more info. I am very well known to give too much info, but I don't know if it is which the info you seek.

I'm really enjoying the subscriptions. I've done Birchbox for 3 months and Ipsy for 2 (I signed up roughly at the same time for both, but because of waiting lists I missed out on a month of Ipsy -- I was disappointed too as that month was pretty phenominal in product.) and even with money being pretty tight around here the $20 I spend on these two gives me something to look forward to each month, and also something to pamper myself with. It's a win/win for me. :3

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 AM

Is Ipsy the one done by Michelle Phan?

I've never had a subscription to one of these but reading the posts in here has made me realize it's probably a good deal. Especially if they're giving you mostly full sized products. More often than not just one higher end product costs 10 plus bucks.

I've been wanting to sign up for some type of box program for awhile, but money's kinda tight as I don't work during semesters.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 AM

@Elysium - Yep! That's the one. She just launched her own makeup line. There was a sample card with some swatches to try. I haven't broken that puppy out. I heard the life palette is pretty expensive though.

You're right about just one item costing at least the $10. The Kohl pencil I got from Ipsy was from Star Looks, I believe, and someone did a price check and said it was $15 alone? (Kohl Eye Pencil - STARLOOKS.COM -- ok $12) When you add everything up you definitely do get your money's worth from Ipsy. Birchbox you at least break even, if you do the math and calculate the sample size against the full size. And you break even by at least the $10 you pay, but usually at least $15-20 if you do your calculations that way. Ipsy tends to be $30-60 bucks a month in product.

Birchbox alone had the nail polish by Ruffian, and for a set of 3 is $24 -- $8 a bottle. I'm super excited to try that, for sure.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM

I knew nothing about these things, looks like fun. :)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM

The crazy thing is you can get just about anything in a monthly subscription box. It seems to be the newest craze.

If I had more money I would be tempted to get the Hammock (sp?) pack. It's basically a $25 subscription that you get a bunch of full sized products based on a pampering/vacation theme. You should take a look online as there's people who blog about the bajillion boxes they get.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 PM

Oh man.. Why did you show me that! The teaser for this month has yummy smells - I love lavender rosemary. This is a super neat idea, getting a mystery gift basket once a month is appealing to me. 30 bucks for that one though, eep. Def adding it to my "when I have money coming out of my butt" list.

edit: Oh dear, I've stumbled across a subscription box review blog. There are SO MANY THINGS.

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-18-2013 at 08:57 PM..

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Oh it's $30? I couldn't remember exactly. They've done some really cute packs though. One month it was a girl's night out, another it was a summer vacay theme, and then another they did a spa night. They were all really nice products and looked like a fun way to have a monthly treat come in the mail to get excited over.

The other one that's interesting is PopSugar. That one I think is $35 a month, but it's a womens beauty/fashion one and they've done everything from popular books, hats, scarves, necklaces, makeup, cute little lunch boxes. Just really fun ideas.

My husband picks on me and says you know they're only cleaning out inventory they can't move elsewhere. :P Like they send all the crappy colored makeup and crazy stuff no one would buy.

Oh and another fun one for gamers is loot crate -- I thought about that one briefly.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM

The Hammock packs do look cute. :3 I like that they work on a concentrated theme rather than randomly cramming stuff in there. You were right about the $25, but there's a $5/mo shipping charge added.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 PM

Ahhh ok that makes sense. I knew I got $25 from somewhere.

There's some really cute subscription boxes out there, so say if come Christmas you have that one person you really don't know what to get cause they like have everything...this is a good idea.

I'm thinking of getting a sub for my mom for Xmas with organic snacks. I think she'd love it. :3

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2013, 11:33 PM

Oh wow, Ipsy looks wonderful! I'll definitely have to keep an eye on that. A subscription like that might encourage me to try out more things and really learn more about makeup. As it is, I tend to stick with the same routine and style every day.

Thanks for sharing so much information!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 AM

Sure thing! I would love it if others would share their goodies monthly with me. I enjoy it. I don't know if that is something that would be interesting for everyone else? :3

Feed Me After Midnight
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 AM

What a fab idea! I hadn't heard of these cute boxes, I mostly relied on friends giving me the crap that didn't work for them so I have a bunch I can't use either! ;( But omg, yes, I totes need to get back into looking as rad as I feel. I got super lazy this summer with make up, I would just sweat it off, gross! Sad stories about working outside, Heat + Liquid Foundation = Mess.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 AM

Yeah the hot weather doesn't work too well with makeup. I try to tone it down and wear it a bit light on those days. Not that I cake it on, but winters I wouldn't think twice about a foundation. Summer...eh. Less is definitely better.

Feed Me After Midnight
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 AM

Yeah, I try to remember that. But I don't have many nice powders, but I keep hearing good things about the mineral foundations. Maybe I should nab one next time in a store. ;)

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM

I keep hearing about subscriptions and I really want to give them a shot. They sound like fun. Does anyone have any pointers for me, also does it ever cost anything or does it depend on the brand. Budget is kinda tight atm so I'd rather not spend a heck of a lot.

Angelic Cricket
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM

I have been wanting to try out one of these beauty box subscriptions so it's nice to get some first hand reviews from you, Izumi. I had not heard of Ipsy, so I must check that one out.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 PM

@Angelic - You're welcome. I enjoy sharing, and I would love to share more of my monthly boxes with you. ^_^ Let me know if there is any specific questions.

@Codette - The Ipsy and Birchbox are only $10 a month (this is with shipping - some subscription services give you a quote before shipping, and technically cost more). There are websites where you can sign up for free samples, but they are typically very sporadic and take a bunch more work to get in on. I've tried signing up for freebies on websites and usually they want you to fill out a survey and they only have so much stock. I guess if you have the time, you may be able to get some samples that way. The other thing too is I don't see free samples much for makeup online.

I've been really loving the Benefit lip gloss I got in my Birchbox this month. The only two complaints is one it has a peachy taste (peach is not my favorite flavor, but it isn't a sickly sweet taste) and two it isn't long lasting...Meaning I'm having to reapply throughout the day. It's pretty typical for lipgloss. That being said it has a beautiful shimmer to it and would look great with most anything I wore it with.

I also did my nails up in the Ruffian polish. (Wishing I took some pics but I don't honestly think it would do it justice...) The shade is this gorgeous deep purple, that in the light it really is gorgeous and very rich purple. The formula is a bit thin and it took a couple coats, and it wasn't any longer lasting than my normal nail polishes. I don't have a color quite as vibrant of a purple though. I definitely will be reusing it, but I can't see myself buying it at $10 a bottle. (I'm a cheapskate, and unless it really wows me I would rather continue sampling....)

The other thing I'm interested in longterm use is the eye serum I got in my birchbox. I'm suppose to use it twice daily, and I've been using it everyother day. Even so, it does seem to be helping with the puffiness/undereye circles I get. I literally have been getting 4-5 hours a sleep a night and usually I would have some pretty deep dark circles...using this I can definitely see a difference. The sample size is nice enough it should last me a week or two I would think given normal application. Maybe longer.

I still have some leave in hair conditioner I got two months back that I've been using on a near daily basis that I'm still working through. Yes the sample sizes tend to be smaller in birchbox (where I got this one), but depending on what type of product and the type of sample they give you (foil packets, bottles, etc) you can typically make it stretch. I've had a couple of items (mainly the tanning products) that were single use only. Luckily that seems to only be one item at most in my box so I can live with that. I think they're getting enough feedback that people don't like it that they're keeping it to a minimum.

The other thing to bear in mind is Birchbox when you do your surveys is only costing you $5 a month. You have to pay $10 up front, but you get the other $5 in credit for the store. I bank mine until they come out with a limited edition box -- which will have full sized products in it -- and use it towards that. :3

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM

awesome I'll try that out. Thanks Izumi