~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 PM

Do you have a cat who has their favorite toy?
Or have you ever bought one of those specialty toys only to have your cat snub it in favor for a milk tab?

Cats and kittens are crazy for playtime and love toys. It helps with their hunt and prey instincts. Keeps them active and healthy, both physically and mentally.

I have two cats, one loves the catnip cigars and mice, the other.... crumpled pieces of paper.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM

My cats like the shiny confetti looking balls, or the ones with jingling bells inside so they make noise. Or anything stuffed with catnip. I have a laser pointer they'll chase now and then; they really like it so I try to use it often.

They also like my feet :P

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 AM

I bought my cat a toy rat from Ikea 5 or 6 years ago. She attacks it, and uses it as a cuddle toy, and even a pillow.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM

wyguy has a favorite 'weenie' toy
it's a ping weenie dog
he has licked it to almost a tan color,
ripped off the ears and feetsies, too!
he is very protective of it and will swat yuki if she even thinks of playing with it.

AspieBookworm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 PM

One of my cats likes to play with this fur pelt thing that my brother left after moving to an apartment. And my other cat likes to play with my feet, string, paper balls, typical cat stuff lol

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 PM

My kitten Jimmy likes my laptop when I'm on it. He will try to type and use the mouse. He will even chase the mouse cursor on the screen lol!

Jelly likes my little sis' tablet he will play games with her lol!

Misty loves dragging water bottles around and drinking out of them when she's thirsty lol!

My other 3 cats are too old and don't bother with stuff.

<.< Though you should see our house when we get a box!!!! Kitty cats will fight each other for ownership of the box!

We don't have money to buy cat toys last time we did my sister destroyed them all.... Cats never even got to play with them... T.T Poor kitties!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-12-2013, 03:27 PM

My cat's favorite things to play with right now:

Water bottle lids. Especially the really flat ones from the "low plastic" bottles. We've got tile floors and he likes to bat them all over the house.

Special Legos. We've got some open Lego bins on a rack in one of the rooms and he will dig out the rarest shiniest pieces (a silver crown, for example) and bat them all over the house.

Origami Stars. Cherry taught me how to make little stars from origami, and the cat has stolen all but 3 of them now. He climbs up on the desk, slaps at them until he gets one onto the floor, and then.. you guessed it.. bats them all over the house.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 AM

I keep meaning to make those Cherry Stars both for my bird and my own amusement. But I can see the one cat thinking they are the greatest toy ever.... Especially if I can some how infuse catnip into them. Genius idea, no one take it. I will market it and make millions.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 AM

My cat seems to be easily bored by her toys. She'll go on a huge kick playing with a new toy and then a few days later it gets left behind like yesterday's trash. There are only so many kinds of toys that I'm sort of at a loss of what to do with her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

She seems to really like stuffed or foam balls, those seem to be her favorite. She'll play with the little mice once in a while too but doesn't really seem to go with the catnip things or the plush toys. She does go crazy over the laser pointer but that's out of batteries... She'll also sometimes go for string or those wand toys but not always.

Yumeh
(≚ᄌ≚)
NPC

Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 AM

*Wanders into thread*

*Pounces on toys*

*Shreds toys*

*Scampers out of thread with favorite toy in mouth*

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 AM

D: Yumeh is a bad kitteh!

shinigamikarasu
(^._.^)ノ

Penpal

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 PM

My cats tend to really like stuffed mice or balls that make some sort of noise. Those feathers-on-a-string toys tend to be a hit, too.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 PM

With our cats the toys have always been hit or miss but we've found that the most cost effective is a wadded up pipe cleaner or two that has been rubbed with cat nip. Low cost, low tech and they see pretty much daily use-- I mean vicious beatings!

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 10-18-2013, 02:59 AM

If I come back from work the pet store with a bag my cats have to investigate. If I don't have anything I just take the receipt and crumple it up, instant toy for the one cat.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Receipt paper has some pretty terrible chemicals in it, even for us humans, so I'd be careful about doing that. Like make sure they're not like biting it or anything...

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-20-2013, 06:44 PM

ebil birdie has a roll of calculator paper in his cage
when he winds some down i rip it off and crumple it up for the kitties
they love it and ebil birdie has a new mission to unroll and dangle a long line again.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 10-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Checks never bites at it, just bats it around and pounces at it. Sometimes she plays catch with it too. Bluebeard doesn't really play with toys. I got him so many shredable toys and plastic jingle balls but he ignores them and just attacks the cuttle bone.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM

My cat has an obsession with this nasty looking old toy that looks like a dead rat. It's one of those things you can open and stuff with cat nip every now and then. She loves to pick it up with her paw and toss it in the air so that she can run after it and pounce it. It's the cutest thing, it really is, but like I said it seriously looks like a dead rat.

I tried buying her a new one because I was (and am) sick of walking through the living room and having a freak out session because I think I'm seeing some animal's dead carcass on my floor but she refuses to play with any other toy she has except for that old dead rat toy. SO she gets to keep it, and I get to keep freaking out every once in awhile.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 PM

Oh the things we do for love. ^^;

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM

When we had three cats, the first two we got didn't really care much for toys or have any great interest in the variety of toys (or would-be toys). We were glad that the third one liked all kinds though! But there was one thing they all loved: catnip. So over time we got catnip stuffed toys and holy crap did the cats tear them up.

The first one was some striped tubular toy, with a furry "tail" on one end. It was stuffed mostly with regular batting, but in the middle had a like a packet of catnip. They tore off the fuzzy part.
The middle one (and other toys: toy car, small tennis ball that was supposed to be for the dog, pet scarf (they didn't play with that one XD)):
Click on thumbnail for full view

After they tore that one up, we found some other ones that looked cute because they were food-shaped. Unlike the other one though, they were only filled with catnip.
The first one we got was a carrot:

Which got promptly destroyed...

Then a banana (you can see the holes * -*):
Click on thumbnail for full view

I think those have been the most successful of the toys. Our third cat was pretty happy with anything though. He would steal rings, chapstick, pens, all kinds of things. And then bat them around the house. We have to be careful with him though because he loves checking things out with his mouth (minus people). As he plays with something he'll usually grab it with his mouth and carry it off somewhere to continue playing.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Awww, such a cute little destructo kitty! My previous cat used to like to make his own toys as well out of milk rings/caps and twist ties. He also loved my hair ties. O. o I lost sooo many of them to him. I feel like I was buying a new pack at least once a month. >.< I probably deserved it though following that time I put a bunch of fancy hairclips in his fur. Too bad I can't share the pic of that one. It was taken with the real camera before we got a digital one and the hard copy is at my mom's house.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM

My cats were always spectacularly boring when it came to playing. We bought them a whole bunch of things when they were kittens, but the favourite - when they could be coaxed to play at all - was always a piece of rope to chase. The only thing they really play with now (at 11 years old) are dried leaves!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Ah yes, string is a cat's best friend. ^_^

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 11-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Found out that my one cat likes to play with empty grape stems. like the stem cluster. would not stop playing with it last night.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 PM

That's pretty hilarious. My cat attacked my apron strings when I hung it up last night. ^^;