Jaded Geisha
*^_^*

Old 05-20-2007, 11:56 AM

I pretty much hated all my required reading assignments in school... Mostly because the books my teachers usually chose weren't of a genre I found remotely interesting... Like we read Hatchet... I forget the author's name so I can't tell ya that... back in 6th grade and it bored me to tears!

Tobi
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-20-2007, 02:15 PM

I tend to like the majority of the books we read in class, but a couple of the ones that I really disliked would have to be "The House on Mango Street" It's a collection of make no sence, one to two page drabbles that don't even tie together all that well. D: Another required reading that I absolutly hated would have to be "Death of a Salesman". That book is so dry and boring that it had to be written in a desert! I also didn't like any of the 'realistic' fiction read in class. I much prefer reading books that play with your mind, or leave a disappearing gap between what's fictional and not. I prefered reading the books in class like "Lord of the Flies" or "Ender's Game". I found those books to really keep my intrest instead of hearing about realistic problems in a fake world. D: Unless they're far fetched realistic problems (gettting trapped on an island XD).

Deidara
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Deidara

Old 05-20-2007, 02:32 PM

"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"

It gave me a SERIOUS head ache. The speech talk was so confusing... and nearly everything that happened made no sense or was a complete and total bore.

Krazy-kat
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM

I think the only book that we read in class that I didn't enjoy was The Diary of Anne Frank. I think that if I had picked up the book myself and read it in my free time I would have enjoyed it a lot more but spending 6 weeks on it was just too much for me. I could have read it in a few days if I tried. Even our teacher was bored with it!

On another note we also read The Outsiders this year. I loved that book!

swissfishwish1
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 AM

oh man, I forgot about House on Mango Street and The adventures of Huckleberry Finn! Mango Street made little sense whatsoever and the other one was just stupid and had god-awful grammar! I couldn't stand it! :gonk:

Takuto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Takuto Send a message via MSN to Takuto

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 AM

[quote="Simplixity"]Lets see, there were several books that I hated as summer reading. Those horrible books included Lord of the Flies, and Farenheit 451. There's also this book that I read as a summer reading book, I would've change it, but it was too late -- House of Stairs. That's it...for now.[/quote

Fahrenheit 451 was the one I hated. I did not know that the author made the book in like 1945 so I didn't know it was talking about the future! It was so bad. I personally like lord of the flies becuase it was such an easy read and the Sparknotes was very detailed for it! XD.

altrondragon
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to altrondragon

Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 AM

This is easy..OLD MAN IN THE SEA, DEATH OF A SALESMAN, CHRSYILIDS,and any other book that I had to read in scool..it was more fun once we were able to readd our own books of intreest..then things picked up

Ancasta
(¬º-°)¬

Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 AM

Romeo and Juliet. I can't stand that play! The majority of my time reading that play in class was spent scowling at the book and making comments like "Oh for the love of-!"

And then the teacher tried to make me read from the part of Juliet, in the belief that I was cranky because I wasn't ~*~the star~*~. That went over like a lead balloon.

Furogane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Furogane

Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm still in the middle of some required reading, I'm sure To Kill a Mockingbird is an excellent book, it's a classic, but after you've analysed it then been asked to read it, you just wish someone would burn the country's whole stock of them.
MacBeth got tiresome as well, it's such a silly play, even if it highlights how women hold a large ammount of control over their weak minded husbands.

Silver-hime
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Silver-hime Send a message via Yahoo to Silver-hime

Old 05-24-2007, 06:02 PM

The only book that I didn't like reading this year was "The Catcher in the Rye". The entire book was about a depressed kid that liked to rant. Not much else.

Scire
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 AM

God, there are too many to list. Well let's see,

Waiting for Godot, The Catcher in the Rye, Walcott poems, Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

I'm sure there's more, it's just that I have put up a mental block to perserve my sanity.

Fiziali
Fizi, Fizgig, Fizpop, ...(insert...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 PM

Being that I loved reading, I was an avid reader and would read everything I could. Therefore, there never was a required reading assingment that I did not like. Some books were mellow, some so-so, but they all interested me.

Sharkie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM

Dude, I got four little words for you.
Lord. Of. The. Flies.
Seriously. I cannot stand that book. I couldn't stand it before we dissected it in class, I couldn't stand it when I read it before we ever started that unit, I couldn't stand it after we closed the cover for the last time.
I hate that book, I hate that book, I hate that book.
On the plus side, though, it was short! :D

Wisty
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Wisty

Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM

I hated Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies because 1) Holden was an insufferable whiny hypocrite. I TOTALLY want to read about some teenager whining, I do enough of my own, thanks. 2) disgusting. D: they tortured that pig. I first read that book on my own when I was like, in 4th grade, because I saw it everywhere, and I was scarred by it. I also hated Animal Farm because I didn't think it was genius at all. Oh gawsh, he replaced historical figures with ANIMALS. HOW BRILLIANT! Not. Aesop's fables wins that book ten times over.

But hating it as a book?

Farewell to Manzanar, which I had to read in 5th grade. It's about the Japanese internment during WWII. It was really boring. I didn't care at all for it. I didn't like the main character either. Everyone felt so flat. Just. Argh. Better book about the subject, plz.

Classical
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 PM

the majority of the required reading during elementary & middle school suckedballs. now in highschool, the choices are alright even though they are way more difficult and are completely analyed in class. i HATED reading 'my brother sam is dead' i was like wtf i really dont give throughout the story. also the book, 'a seperate peace' i was like. wth is this even talking about (: i just finished reading books from paradise lost by john milton, pretty interesting atleast how my english teacher taught it to us, and also 'the curious incident of the dog in the night-time, was very good.

Rae Kitsune
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. D: The book was hideously boring and I was like "PIP, BE A MAN, DAMMIT!. D:<"

tralala
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Year nine English we had to read The Dog In The Night-Time.
It was awful. Me and my friend were the only ones who didn't like it, in fact, we both despised it. I wanted to slap every character in the book.

Year ten english we had to read Cross my /heart. Ugh. UGH. Painfully bad writing, predictable, trashy, meaningless. It had everything. I can't believe I endured it. And we had to analyse it! Getting substance out of that book is like getting blood from a stone.

English this year we had to do The Heartbreak Kid. The movie was pretty good, very well acted, but the play itself was a pointless bore. We could have done so much more interesting.

All the "classics" we've done I've quite liked- The Hobbit, To Kill a Mockingbird... uh... Lord of the Flies. I thought it was effective, though, in a lot of ways, not all it could be. Not deep enough, I suppose.
I hated Huckleberry Finn when we first read it, though in retrospect it was alright. I think the racism offended my delicate sensibilities though. Macbeth was annoying.

I think I've enjoyed half of our required reading. Our teachers tried to pander too much to "teen" reading, I think, but they chose the worst possible novels to do it with. Except the Outsiders, I liked that.

Sedge
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to Sedge

Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 AM

• We were made to read The Witch of Blackbird Pond in the 5th grade.

Ooh, I hu-hu-hu-hated that book, and I don't even remember why. Oddly enough, though, it sounds like something I'd want read these days. O_o There was also something in 4th grade, a mystery about... oyster drudging or some such, that was rather painful.

Maybe it was because the joy tends to be sucked out of reading in a school setting. Sometimes you just want to read the book and not be forced to analyze over and over, ya?

Relia
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 PM

My least favorite required reading from high school was Sons and Lovers.

Taiikou
Magical Panda

Old 06-01-2007, 02:05 AM

I did not enjoy reading Lovely Bones(I think it's called) nor did I like three other books my high school made us read. I hated them so much I cannot remember their names. Haha.

nottyreloaded
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-01-2007, 04:24 PM

My least favorite book was great expectations by Charles dickens. i hated that book so much, i had to annotate it too for class. i had to write a whole bunch of essays for it, and was quized almost everyday on the 9 chapters we had to read the night before

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 PM

I didnt' enjoy reading Catcher in the Rye in highschool. It was possibly the only book that I didn't like reading that I had to. The storyline was ok, but after having to analyze the crap out of that book, writing several essays, I didnt' even bother. I cheated, went on sparksnotes.com and read the summeries, and based it off of there. I passed got great marks but it seemed like such a big wasted of time.

Rose-Mclane
*^_^*

Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Hmmm, I hate most required reading, period. Elimentry and Middle school had the worst books ever. Except for a book called Banicula,..that was a cute story. High school was ok,..we had those boring 'short' storys in the tex book that were so boreing you would fall asleep with your eyes open.

I love Diary of Ann Frank,..it was moveing and sad. It made me angry and I found myself frowning while reading it. I had to quickly rearange my face when I was ' pop corned'

I also loved The Outsiders,..realy sad but ...it was so wonderful.

Another one was Slaughter House 5,..good God. I have never read a book that was so deep and disturbing yet you dont want to put it down. I havent finished it,...writeing essays and year long Progects for the damn thing mad it uninteresting.

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Kitsune
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. D: The book was hideously boring and I was like "PIP, BE A MAN, DAMMIT!. D:<"
I'm currently reading that too. And yes, Pip get on my nerves a lot, and I dislike him quite a bit. But, I realized that Great Expectations is narrated by an older Pip, and the scenes are acted out by a younger Pip. So, in a sense, the older Pip is just poking fun at his younger self, pointing the fact that he already sees the error of his ways.

The movie they made on it was pretty good actually, saves you a tons of time of reading.

`pomegranate
n/a

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 PM

The only book that I really despised was Ethan Frome. It might have been a good book, but the writing was SO boring. I ended up just reading every other chapter and getting notes off the internet. </3 I actually kind of liked Great Expectations, although Pip did need a good strangling. >_> But it HAS to be good writing to make you hate a character that much. XD