monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 AM

I know it would ultimately cause inflation if left unchecked, but, I'm thinking that maybe we could add a few days a month where we get double gold (or perhaps a certain gold shop/item set* goes on sale...?), hoping to encourage people to buy from the shops instead of just waiting for the next CIs, especially since trades are down and I think there's concern there's going to be a major shortage of CIs, but if we say...had more commons to play with, especially for new users, since the gold shops seem unaffected by the glitch, it's just a thought my tired brain came up with.

Feel free to poke holes and make suggestions. But I'm essentially talking a couple times a month where people would get "bonus gold" and a gold shop sale to encourage people to not just hoard gold, because the general hoarding of gold might possibly raise prices for other, rarer items in the long run because if these bugs take a long long time to fix, people will have tons of gold to spare! But if we could get people buying from the shops that DO work, people would have items to play with & inflation might in theory go down. I'm no economist though. Maybe the people with tons of gold don't need any other items...Personally, if I had that much gold as I've seen some people have....SHOPPING SPREE!!

----Also more Channah's Auctions announcements please. If you could make one of those little tabs every week or so at the top of the screen reminding people about it + letting people know when there's new stock, I think the auctions would also be a fantastic gold sink. I don't know if people know when it gets restocked.

*By item set I mean like, the stockings from the basic shop, or like those fancy frilly dresses in the other shop. Not necessarily the whole store, but a little "hey might as well, it's on sale! CLEARANCE! Gotta get me some of that" mentality.

Anyway, thanks for your time! Monstahh`s tired brain, out!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Well we used to have doublebubblebonusgoldiesdays each time a contribution items released.
Jelly did some discount green common items
Then i think some blue common items?
I agree thou, bonus items are essential
Especially for the contribution items shoppe
Otherwise people will just 'wait puts the trade borkage

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM

The green exclusive shop was the biggest pain in the butt...Jelly swore it wouldn't happen again. Basically each item had to be moved out of their shop and into the special event shop...then someone had to figure out which shops they went to and move each one individually back in. It took jelly FOREVER. She was very adamant about it being a big mistake LOL

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM

Oh, fair enough.

Couldn't you just clone the list and then reprice everything?
You could leave it in the original shop?
But direct people to the event shop with an announcement for it?

Just spitting ideas I don't know menewsha's back-end.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM

I think anything to encourage posting is ideal for Mene to consider. The shops idea I'm sort of iffy about, unless there was an easy way (and it was announced in advance) to just make one whole shop discounted. Like, a 20% off sale in the shoe shop one (preferably entire 5- or 7-day) week, then 2-4 weeks later, a sale for everything in the belt shop, etc.

That may be more manageable and make the most sense for the user base, instead of arbitrary color sales. Those sound a little weird. This may also be infinitely more practical within the existing shop structure.

It'd be nice to have this laid out in advance, and scheduled around event schedules, obviously, so that way there isn't overlap with event commons and/or unfairly a commons sale during one event and not the other, etc.

But, otherwise, is there something else we can do that's more innovative around posting specifically? Would double gold make the most sense? There does seem to be a correlation between very frequent posters and low post quality (as in, the more active a user, the less their post seems to move a conversation forward or compel people to stay and chat...). So, quantity vs. quality is always an issue to consider in engaging users on a digital platform (I've worked in this field for years, actually, and know for a fact that this is true when compelling people to engage; lurkers are the default in every community, but the relevance of content and its actual quality is always going to attract more people).

So... I dunno. But I'm all for these ideas! It'd certainly incentivize more momentum, I'd hope, between events, and have less sharp declines in posting and slow lulls in activity.

Even once the Marketplace and trades are back in tip-top shape, activity week-to-week on Mene is an issue worthy of being tackled.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facade View Post
But, otherwise, is there something else we can do that's more innovative around posting specifically? Would double gold make the most sense? There does seem to be a correlation between very frequent posters and low post quality (as in, the more active a user, the less their post seems to move a conversation forward or compel people to stay and chat...). So, quantity vs. quality is always an issue to consider in engaging users on a digital platform (I've worked in this field for years, actually, and know for a fact that this is true when compelling people to engage; lurkers are the default in every community, but the relevance of content and its actual quality is always going to attract more people).

So... I dunno. But I'm all for these ideas! It'd certainly incentivize more momentum, I'd hope, between events, and have less sharp declines in posting and slow lulls in activity.

Even once the Marketplace and trades are back in tip-top shape, activity week-to-week on Mene is an issue worthy of being tackled.
So, I agree with everything else you said, I'm just highlighting this part of the post because this is, and you're right, a long term problem that needs some solutions, and I don't think just doing little sales and occasional between events gold earning is going to work. I was more thinking "holy cow how much gold are all these people hoarding? they gonna buy everything!!! at crazy prices and it'll never come down!!"

-Has menewsha thought of using another email server? The one they use right now could probably use an overhaul as it does not seem to be working (at least not for me). If we could remind people the site exists via facebook or email or heck, word of mouth outside of events...like, "oh hey there's that item you want in Channah's!!" that would be swell. Yknow?

-The issue of quality vs quantity isn't much of a quandary for me as we basically have like...next to no posting outside certain forums. I think if we could get more posts and new topics going in some of the major forums it would encourage people to keep checking them and responding. Maybe...Specific forums get gold boosts for a while? I know they can disable gold entirely earning for a forum, but maybe they could make it larger for a bit instead? A gold boost for a music forum could encourage people talking about events/whatever that are going on in the music world. Like say if there's a celebrity death (*knocking on wood* this might be a terrible example but here goes...) We could all go, "oh i have fond memories of this and this" and that could get people talking, and thinking, and going, "oh what else do I remember? I should make a thread about x person!" and so on.
Or like, movies, or a big video game launch that seems relevant. Keep hip to the beat, or whatever. Screener season, anyone?

--Maybe we have some "super posters" that can get an item reward or some mennies bonus buy type stuff earned for making a "super content" thread. (One with substance, mene's strong sense of self, and some room for reasonably open-ended discussion....or something like that - terms to be determined) Or, like the stars people get for Admin's Pick could have another layer added, "This user is an A+ Poster!"

**Also, in general (question for mods/staff, technically), I sortof want to know. I remember a lot of topics have been discussed in the past, would making a new thread and reviving some of those topics even if they may have been talked to death, years ago be worth while? People's opinions change over the years so maybe encouraging people to take a look back at the past and go, "oh I don't think that anymore...let me write what I think /now/." Would that be worth it? because if so, I may have some ideas, just not necessarily the drive to do it *all* on my own. lol But I could start. I'm just honestly nervous about certain topics being broached, but, you have to crack a few eggs to make omelettes?

More spitballing though I just woke up. XD

***Also if you guys need a facebook page slave. I have managed my own pages in the past (they're not super popular, but its mostly because I have no content for them right now...they're art pages and I haven't had room to actually *make* art in a hot minute). But I know how it works at least. I would be willing to take an hour or so out of most days a week to make and schedule posts for the menewsha page, like Admin's Pick/User's Pick winners or new items being released.
Heck, if you guys don't want that, I could make a fan page. But I would like your (the staff's) blessing if I made a fan-page (and I would even be willing to make staff admin in said page/group if there are concerns).

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
--Maybe we have some "super posters" that can get an item reward or some mennies bonus buy type stuff earned for making a "super content" thread. (One with substance, mene's strong sense of self, and some room for reasonably open-ended discussion....or something like that - terms to be determined) Or, like the stars people get for Admin's Pick could have another layer added, "This user is an A+ Poster!"
I would love this idea a lot!
I, too, am not an economist, so I really can't say what would make the inflation stay down...

I do think, however, that maybe having more incentive to post would make more newbies stay and get more people interested in posting. Maybe we could have a forum dedicated to something simple like daily questions so that newbies can get used to posting and can slowly introduce themselves to the rest of the community? I feel like right now, when newbies come in, they can be shy and they basically get a welcoming "hello" and then they are turned loose to the rest of the community without a way of getting to know anyone without just randomly posting...

Sometimes a newbie will make their own hangout, but most of the time, people don't post in them because everyone here is already posting in their own hangouts or places where they are familiar... So I think if we had something like a daily question, like, "Who inspired you growing up?" or "What is your favorite thing to do on the weekends?" It would make newbies post more and feel more comfortable as well as introduce them to new people without feeling like cast aways.

This might be a stupid idea, but I just thought I'd share it. :)

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-11-2018, 02:18 AM

I've brought up points about rewarding posting with gifts before, but it's not entirely practical I've been told. I've seen sites give a special item to the top five posters, though that doesn't solve the quality issue. It does however give a constant incentive to be active. There is the struggle with creating a new item just for that though, so I figure...rerelease king/queen crowns? The items are basically nonexistent in the user base and it does seem to fit. The site could use items put back in sometimes.

I also remember an event that was run at one point that looked for various points such as top poster, creator of best/engaging/popular thread, and special bonus. Basically to revitalize specific forums that needed it. Whether it's staff or user run, I'd like to see it done again. He'll, I'd help run it, with help. I can't seem to find anyone who remembers this happening though...?

One more point brought up, I do seem to remember being told at one point that the money earned for posts can't be altered in terms of how much. It's either on or off. I remember that in conversation about the word game forum when it was changed to earn gold.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 01-11-2018, 03:36 AM

I definitely agree with rereleasing rares, just everything from 2007 specifically for the most part - maybe in a way similar to Mama Juru's holiday gift thing? I believe this was only done for 1-2 years; it was how I obtained my King's Crown, and the policy for years after was that we couldn't trade/sell the item we received, otherwise we'd be banned. If we could re-release old CIs/EIs with some stringent no-sale policy for a fixed amount of time, would this work? It may be a bit more problematic if such items were sold for cash, although it'd be nice to know a) whether Mene's financial health is good; and b) it's monetized enough to ensure its survival over the next several years?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Monstahh's idea re: incentivizing gold earning in specific forums. Like, that would be flat-out awesome, and would almost feel like a min-event! I'd imagine people would get creative and figure out cool thread topics that might even reinvigorate some areas of Mene.

On that note, maybe some kind of mini-event for the Art Shops forum would be nice. Something announced in advance so artists can plan to be active accordingly, and also be able to set up shop for a pretty penny? I dunno, maybe this is too far out of left-field... but it might be fun, and maybe there could be a voting mechanism for non-artists to select an artist that'd be commissioned (with gold) to make art promoting the next month's CI, or some such? ... spitballing here for increasing activity's sake.

It also does leave me in shock how inconsistent Mene's social media presence is – I know that's a capacity issue, but dang, it's glaring and really bums me out. It's not going to help this place. I'd totally endorse Monstahh helping out on that front!

Also, re: Mene's email, is it just not feasible to pay a monthly subscription to Mailchimp for the time being? Is the email list ever even maintained? Are there any parameters in place to determine how many users (and who) open an email, how many emails 'bounce,' how many people click which links, etc.? All of that is invaluable information that Mene should have been collecting for years now; if the answer to that data question is yes, and we still have this email deliverability issue at least in the short-term, I'd heavily advise using Mailchimp, Salsa or Constant Contact to email out about the V-Day event, because email is a goldmine and those email reminders really do and always will make all the difference.

I've worked at a majority research university doing a lot of this type of stuff for years, as some Mene users who're my FB friends know, so I'd be fine advising on this further or helping think through a lot of this stuff. Mene is great and still has so much potential, and there just seems to be an inherent lack of momentum in the management culture which isn't doing the place any good. These things were excusable earlier this decade, but at this point it's sink-or-swim, make-or-break, and bodes ill for Mene's future without question.

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Maybe a weekly gold bonus to users who have been here less than, say, 6 months who posted the most times in a week...to promote newbies to want to post more?
I also like the daily question idea, but I think I would suggest doing it weekly instead of daily.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Facade: I'm not sure what can be done to revitalize the art forum as it seems temp shops are the only kind of thing that actually get made during events. I worry that even if there was some kind of bonus thing in place, people would still not be willing to run shops or would do it only during the duration of whatever event was in place. I do like the idea of getting artists to do the Ci art though. Whether by some kind of nomination or a contest, it would be pretty fun. We've done contests in the past for CI art and the Ci as a price. One could also have artists nominate themselves for those willing and then have the userbase vote to see who they want to do the art that month. That way you could get a nice variety and treat to see when the items come out.

Inzane: I'm not quite sure how a bonus would work like that. Giving specific users an increase in their gold earning basically for a limited time?? I don't know if that would be possible. However, if say...upon reaching your first week, you were to receive an 'NPC gift' of x amount of gold, and then another at the month marker and so on for those that stay active, I think that might work better.
It would basically be an automated system. Once built, it would help everyone feel a little special for continuing to use the site.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 PM

So many ideas have been suggested before. I've suggested recoloring certain rares and putting them in the shops to increase the site's income. I don't want it to become a money hungry site like Gaia, but I do want to see it grow and considering that many of us users work or are adults with some sort of income I really think adding more items to the Mene shop would really benefit the site and perhaps encourage the sites creator to invest more time.

I remember a time when events were more coded. The amount of event currency you earned changed (which is how I ended up stuck with a weird number) and it was so much better. Like the last day of the event you earned 1 or 2 event tokens for every post. It really encourages users to become active and post. That's my biggest problem during events these days. Being a parent of 2 little ones and also working on top of that I don't have all that much time to post. And when I do, I am barely able to earn any of the event tokens - which in turn gives me little incentive to even want to post. I mostly rely on that Chance game for my tokens. (I'm off topic now. Oops)

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 PM

Soo, I don't know if you guys are having this problem but...the DAC is le bork for me. I'm troubleshooting now, but as it is the DAC is not working on me end. Anybody else having issues with it?

On the upside, the Marketplace seems to be working again ^^. Sellback Store still isn't though...and I have no idea on trades.