noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM

This year I decided to set myself a challenge; to read 50 new* books and 50 new* films. After I had completed reading/watching them I would write a little review, here, in seperate posts.

I own a LOT of books but embarassingly enough I would estimate that I have not read 70% of my collection. Now that I am working part-time there is no reason for me not to catch up on all the books I have bought with the intention of reading, but have always put off, saying "Later..."

I am allowing myself re-reads and re-watches but they will not count in my lists of 50.

I have also included a TV Show section, but I am not expecting to watch 50 different tv shows. If they are series, this would be very difficult for me! >.<

(* - "New" meaning that I have not read nor watched them before. Not new as in by date of release.)

My rating system:

* = 1 Star. Not worth picking up/did not enjoy at all.
** = 2 Stars. Some good bits, but mainly rubbish.
*** = 3 Stars. It's okay.
**** = 4 Stars. Really good!
***** = 5 Stars. Absolutely it!

Lilac = Something that is new to me.
Purple = A re-read / re-watch.

Look how "professional" it is! I hear Roger and Ebert use the same style. X)

Now, onto the lists!

Last edited by noirist; 01-15-2014 at 05:40 PM..

noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM

1.) The Haunted Night by Joan Phipson (*)
2.) The Stolen Telesm by Caroline Baxter (***)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)
16.)
17.)
18.)
19.)
20.)
21.)
22.)
23.)
24.)
25.)
26.)
27.)
28.)
29.)
30.)
31.)
32.)
33.)
34.)
35.)
36.)
37.)
38.)
39.)
40.)
41.)
42.)
43.)
44.)
45.)
46.)
47.)
48.)
49.)
50.)

Last edited by noirist; 01-15-2014 at 06:28 PM..

noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM

1.) The Mothman Prophecies (2002) - (**)
2.) The Conjuring (2013) - (***)
3.) The Exorcist (1973) - (***)
4.) What Lies Beneath (2000) - (***)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)
16.)
17.)
18.)
19.)
20.)
21.)
22.)
23.)
24.)
25.)
26.)
27.)
28.)
29.)
30.)
31.)
32.)
33.)
34.)
35.)
36.)
37.)
38.)
39.)
40.)
41.)
42.)
43.)
44.)
45.)
46.)
47.)
48.)
49.)
50.)

Last edited by noirist; 01-15-2014 at 06:30 PM..

noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM

1.) Sherlock (BBC) The Complete Series 3 (2014) - (*** 1/2)

Last edited by noirist; 01-15-2014 at 06:21 PM..

noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM

One last post for now because I know multiple posts one after another can seem a bit rude/spammy.

Since I already started reviewing the films on my journal site but not here, I will post them all in this one post to save space. After this, each review will be in it's own post.

Because of the length of this post, I have inserted the reviews in spoiler tags, but please be rest assured, the content contains no spoilers whatsoever themselves! :)

The Books:

1.) The Haunted Night by Joan Phipson - (*)

SPOILERX

I thought the premise of this story sounded nice and cosy; Four teenage girls arrive back after a dance one evening, to an empty spooky mansion, as the grandparents of one of the girls have rushed out to a niece who is in labour. Uh, did that sentence make sense, grammatically? I don't care! >.< All four girls were unlikeable in their own various ways. The "main" girl whom the others cooed and complimented all throughout the story for being "brave" and so "with it" (yuck!) I thought was a total stuck-up bitch! She was snooty and spiteful. The other girls were weak and/or annoying. I've never read a book and disliked the characters so quickly! Perhaps anyone reading this will think I am being harsh. Well, I don't hate the book, I just really dislike it! I'll probably be selling this vintage copy. XP Not a good start to the list!

2.) The Stolen Telesm by Caroline Baxter - (***)

SPOILERX

Upon looking up this book online, I found out that it's author was 17 when she wrote it. Pretty damn impressive! It's a nice cosy childrens' horror (seeing a theme in my interests, here? XD) about two children, a brother and sister, who rescue a mysterious magical foal (the Telesm) and magical stone pendant (the "Har-stone") from an evil witch who needs them in order to raise a powerful and terrible Were-type demon. I'm tired and can't think of what else to say about this book right now, except that I enjoyed it a lot and if you happen to find it, I'd suggest picking it up.

The Films:

1.) The Mothman Prophecies (2002) - (**)

SPOILERX

For some reason I thought the main guy was played by Harrison Ford and that's why I wanted to watch it. Turns out it was Richard Gere as the main guy. Hmm, not really seen anything he starred in, apart from Pretty Woman, but I gave it a go. It's an interesting enough mystery/horror but I had presumptions about the "Mothman", namely it being more of a monster or creature than an psychical/extra-terrestrial being so I was a bit put out. It was interesting enough to keep me watching, although after it was over and remembering it now it seems like nothing really happened in the movie, in terms of action (well, apart from the bridge scene) and it was also a little predictable, especially the bridge sequence. It was okay, but now that I've finally seen it I don't think I'll ever have a hankering to watch it again.

2.) The Conjuring (2013) - (***)

SPOILERX

I was really looking forward to this film when I first heard about it. From reading about it, it seemed like a [modern] horror story that wouldn't be cheesy or just full of cheap jump scares (like the slew of Paranormal Activity type stuff bloating horror at the moment.) I found it to be okay. It was a little bit cheesy and it definitely had it's share of jump scares (which I really dislike!) I thought it was a little bit disjointed at the end, and the end was annoying. Like the above, now that I've finally seen it I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

3.) The Exorcist (1973) - (***)

SPOILERX

This is supposedly the scariest horror film of all time. I would say it is the most overrated horror film of all time. XP There were 2 truly shocking moments for me, personally. People who have seen this film would know what one of them is. I would say that "that" scene is the most shocking (violent) moment, or act in a mainstream film (that I know of anyway.) I watched this with my boyfriend and we found the "scary" parts to be unintentionally funny. Even though this is considered a horror classic, perhaps by some people "the" horror classic (it's no. 1 on most "Top __ Horror Films, Ever!" etc lists) I don't feel the need to have it in my horror collection. I can respect it as a landmark horror film, but apart from the jump scenes, it honestly did not scare me at all.

4.) What Lies Beneath (2000) - (***)

SPOILERX

I'm weird. As you can see, I have been in the mood for, seemingly, mediocre horror films lately. I don't know why, maybe I just don't want to be scared too much. XP
I must've got this film mixed up in my memory with The Mothman Prophecies because Harrison Ford is the main guy in this film. The main actress is Michelle Pfeiffer. I remember watching this back when I was about 11 or 12, maybe? And, like I said, I wanted to watch it again for some reason. It's very tame, but a decent little ghost/thriller. Not really one I would pick up on DVD even if it were super cheap, though. :P I was getting annoyed with Pfeiffer's character, who when in her home with the killer insisted on using seemingly every damn phone in the house. Here's an idea, lady, why don't you RUN AWAY first? Just get out of the house safely, maybe try your next door neighbours and THEN call for help? But this is a horror movie we are talking about. It was kinda interesting to spot Miranda Otto (Eowyn from the Lord of the Rings films) in a bit part in this!

Last edited by noirist; 01-15-2014 at 06:30 PM..