Kanaveil
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Pixelling is one of my absolute favorite pastimes. Do any of you like to doll? Or make bases, run contests, etc. And if you do, are you a pixeler or toolshader?

I only use MSPaint to pixel my artwork. :} Been dolling since June of 2004 and am a member of the GLAM dolling community forum. I was also a part of the Eden-Enchanted Community when it was still around.

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM

I've worked here on Mene for about a year before I recently decided I needed to take a break and focus on school a bit more.

I dither/pixel instead of toolshading. Sure, toolshading makes everything much softer and smoother, but I also think it's easier, and doesn't look as clean.
Plus, to be a pixelist on Mene you need to dither instead of toolshade.

Before I was a pixelist on Mene, I never pixeled. It was Mene/Gaia that got me into it really.
In my free-time when I'm not still pixeling off and on, I like to do CG instead of pixel.

Kanaveil
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM

I agree about the toolshading thing. When it comes to dolling I think it's a bit like cheating, but then there's this whole other realm of skill that it can lead you into. Some artist can do things with toolshading that in no way would I be able to.

This site actually reminds me of a site some of my dolling friends started called Zantarni. The avatar base looks very similar, so I have a feeling a few of them are helping with this site, too. It's nice to see success come to fresh new sites like this.

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM

Menewsha is 2 years old. xD
Not really too new, just secluded.

And Menewsha is the same as Zantarni, it's a online avatar forum.
We've had people, like Tre le Coco come work here from Zantarni.

Tre Le Coco

Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Including me, there were 2 others who came from zantarni too and pixeled here, but they were pain-in-the-ass drama queens who never listened to anyone else :roll: lol

But yeah, I've done both before, i started out as a tooler because i didn't know any better at the time, but i slowly moved over and developed skills in pure pixel art instead :yes: I find it alot more fun, challenging and rewarding than tooling imo. Never really joined dolling communities before, too much drama in them xP

I use to use MSpaint too, infact a few items i made here are made in MSpaint (bee set, panda PJ's), but when i moved over to a mac, i was stuck using photoshop but never looked back xD layers are my best friend lol *has files with up to 500 layers sitting in them* >.>

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM

I used to doll constantly, and was quite active on several different communities until about a few years ago. Unfortunately, I've largely lost interest in dolling due to lack of inspiration, and lack of time to do so. I still doll from time to time, but I don't usually bother anymore. It was fun while it lasted though. :). I used to tool shade- but towards the end, I did try pixel shading a little bit. I never liked it as much, but I do like how it looks. :).

.Sapphire.Skulls.
The Extroverted Writer

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM

I'm in love with dolling <3
I only actually started January of this year, so Im a bit of a newbie at it, but, I still love it. I just started dithering, and I never use photoshop, always MS paint. Personally, I think it's easier, but I'll use photoshop if I have to.

Aspirina_br
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Aspirina_br

Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 PM

i used to on gaia , but now on mene i had not started yet :/

PhantomLolita
*^_^*

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 PM

I used to do it all the time, but everything I've made recently hasn't turned out well. I've been getting too frustrated and don't have as much time to put into each doll. I pixel and tool shade depending on the doll style I'm going for. I use MSPaint sometimes, but like using layers in photoshop better. In paint I usually copy and paste the doll in a different spot after each major thing I do. It just gets annoying, layers are so much easier. I really want to get back into it.

Fo Qua
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 PM

I've never been able to do dolling.
But I've always wanted to!
I admire anyone who dolls, most people don't get how amazing pixel art can be.
I tried to doll once using misc paint on windows, but that didn't quite work.
It kind of looked like a jellyfish had been splattered with color then run over by a mac truck.

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 08-15-2009, 10:06 PM

Hi! I'm a dollist. I want to have my own avatar website oneday...oneday being the key word. I do pixeling, and not shading. I've made plenty of bases..I actually consider it a very fun thing to do, even though I haven't made anything recently..

My favorite part would most likely be making clothes for the dolls.. It's so much fun!

Mesmerized
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2009, 02:42 AM

I am a pixel art doller :D
Never have tried/thought about tool-shading a doll.
I've been pixelling for uhm, a couple of years now. Can't really recall since when ^^; Maybe about 4 years.

I first started dolling with MSPaint, and even though I have more advanced programs (like Photoshop) I've always prefered my ol'faithful MSPaint ^^ A very simple and easy program to use. (Except a transparency feature would be a big plus xD)

I used to doll all the time... now I doll every now on then, very little really.
There are some dolls in my gallery, you can check my DA account if you're curious ^^
Clickie