Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 AM

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” Tal sat up quickly, head rolling. “GET OUT!” Eyes desperately trying to focus he lookd around the room wildly. In the corner crouched were all of his bunkmates, excluding the unintroduced one. Fischer Nown and her child were no where to be seen.

“What are you guys doing?” he mumbled.

Louis gestured him to be quiet and for him to come over to them.

“DO I LOOK AMUSED?! DON’T THINK YOU CAN JUST COME HERE AND ACT LIKE WE ARE FRIENDS!”

“Who is she talking to?” Tal whispered. No need to ask about the shouter, only a couple days but Arisa’s voice had already embedded itself in his mind.

“Not sure, he talks very quietly.” Louis whispered. “Only thing we know is that he’s new, just arrived last night. Probably in the middle of the night, past the Fire Whips bedtime.” There was silence on the other side of the curtain.

“LOUIS K. MATHEUS WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!” Everyone jumped, the tent wall they were all crouched against, incenterated in a second. The wall fell to ashes revealing a vivd Arisa, as well as the stranger.

His hair was white from power transference not age, sweeping down and around his ivory cloak. His eyes were cool soft characoal, framd with long lashes and pale smooth skin. His features were stong and expression was irate.

“Will you just relax Riri?” A feral snarl rolled out from Arisa, springing upon him her hands were ablaze. When they iron gripped around the stangers throat the flames sizzled out. He looked even more annoyed as he wrestled with her. Although the fire had no affect on him, he still had to wrestle with her monkey cling as she managed to fight him and not touch the ground at the same time. Wrapped around him, the group watched as she flipped around him, kicked the back of his knees and brought him down.

Growing more animalistic by the second, Arisa’s pupils became long slits. A loud growl excaped from her small form, it expanded and reverberated in everyone’s bones. Her small hand raised with elongatd nails to take a mighty swipe.

Arisa froze, eyes rolling back into her head she collapsed on the ground to the side. Marcus and Louis rushed foreward, each taking an arm of Arisa to lead her to one of the beds in the tents.

“Lawrie what are you doing here?” Louis dropped his half of Arisa in shock. Hal’s bluish grey eyes surveyed the unconscious Arisa and the rising stranger.

“Hal la May,” His frown disappeared, replaced with a large smile. He swept foreward and they all stood flack jawed as Hal accepted the hug with a hint of sincerity. “It is so wonderful to see you again. I wished to see you sooner but I was intercepted by the the Fire Whip.” There was a whimper from the bed.

“Lawrie, please don’t call Arisa that. You only do it to irratate her, and you aren’t making me like you anymore for it either.” Hal had withdrawn from the hug and placed her arms crossed in front of her chest.

“Don’t be mad Hal la May. I wouldn’t dream of being on your wrong side.” His voice was soft again, Tal felt a power drawing him in.

Unsuprisingly for a white mage, Tal thought, he’s trying to test or manipulate Hal by pressing his power outward. It was almost like a charm spell, meant to entrance someone. A type of pleasure spell, meant for weak-skilled mages to have fun, not something a prestigious sorcerer would use. With his power it was the most intense Tal had ever felt.

“What are you doing here?” Hal’s lips were pursed. Tal thought it looked like she was trying to hold back a smile. He felt a feeling of neausea, he couldn’t really explain it, but he did not like this man.

“Hal la May it will only bring you sadness to talk of that now. Why not take a walk and catch up first? It’s been
too long since I’ve had the pleasure of seeing you.” His words were oily, dripping with the charm spell. Tal felt his head started to spin, lightheaded he swayed.

“Enough!” A strong wind of power blew across them, icey cold it revived his senses. “Do not try such petty tricks on me again.” Tal’s faint smile was gone, replaced by narrowed eyes she looked almost as annoyed as Arisa. “I hate that spell and you should know not to use it so potently when there are others around.” She nodded slightly to us, and his eyes focused on the others for the first time.

“Oh.” Tal’s dislike grew, this man looked down on all of them. Dismissing them before even meeting them, he couldn’t believe he’d held any feelings of respect and awe for this man. “Children, if you’ll excuse us.” He made no movement, he actually expected them to leave. What a jerk, Tal thought.

Everyone started to shuffle off, Tal turned to go as well when, “Tal.” Hal called him. He stopped and looked back at her. “Stay. It’s time for your lesson, it’s been put off long enough.” Tal paused for a moment.

“Hal, it’s ok. If you want to -”

“-I want,” she interrupted “to finally start teaching you. This overgrown peacock will still be hear if it means that much to him.”

“This boy is your pupil?” Lawerance raised his eyebrows skeptically.

Hal sighed, “He’s older than me Lawrie, so please, do me a favor and shut up. I have his lessons, then if you are still hear, I suppose we can have a talk.” Hal paused for a second, she looked away from them thinking for a second. “I guess it’s good that you’re here, Fischer is also visiting.” She said it softly, like an after thought. But his face couldn’t have been more surprised if she had shouted in his ear then bit it off.

“Fischer? Really? Well then…uh…. I think I’ll go find my lodgings. Goodbye Hal, pleasure as always.” Hal and Tal watched him practically sprint as he hurried away.

“That conceited booby.” Arisa had regained consciousness. Rubbing her head she looked accusingly at Hal. “There was no need for such a powerful spell, I was in control.” Hal smiled a little. “Well I would have been before I killed him. It was just the shock really. I was just about to wake my pupils when I heard his voice. I was angry before I could help it. Sorry Hal.” Arisa actually looked sorry too. Tal was bewildered to what was going on. He’d have to ask Fischer some more questions about the past.

“When you do stuff like that, it makes me think you deserve your nickname Fire Whip.” Arisa looked mockingly scandalized, hand to her chest she micked a wound. Tal was taken aback with her openess for humiliation, but it got Hal to soften again, so he figured he understood.

Arisa turned on him. “So, finally your day of reckoning? Are you scared?” Tal did a half shrug, he was still thrown off that Arisa was being nice at all, let alone to him. “Well, I’ll leave you to your teachings. “ Walking over to Hal she patted her lightly on her shoulder before, smiling and turning to leave. Tal watched Hal, and Hal watched Arisa disappear in the mist and around the corner.

“Tal,” she spoke softly. “Let’s get going.”

Last edited by Tsubasa Rose; 08-15-2009 at 05:34 AM..

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-15-2009, 05:38 AM

Hal kept even footing as she led Tal to the borders of the town. They made it to a designated post, it was a painted post of red and gold.

“This is what we call a latch post,” she explained. “You can only leave town at designated latch posts if you plan to come back, or not get eaten alive by the mist. For the first lesson I will supply the string, but from now on you must use your own.” Tal watched as she made a spirit thread of power, and linked him to her and then to the post. Spirit threading was a literal rope of power that could tie things together without breaking but infinitly stretching, it was also called the thread of fate. “Once you are anchored you can go ahead and walk past the post into the mist. For this first day, I want you to hold onto my cloak, you can’t risk losing me on your first day.” She waited patiently as his face turned several shades of color, his hand hovered hesitantly, before pinching a small piece of cloak covering her shoulder blade.

“Don’t I need my lantern?” Tal asked nervously.

“Not today, this isn‘t a shift, just an exercise. You will not actually be doing anything today except getting accustomed to the mist. Then we might play a game, if you're ready, that is.” Hal held out her own lantern, and together the walked into the wall of mist.

She felt him shaking through his grip on her cloak. She would have taken his hand, except he didn’t seem like the kind of pupil that wanted her touching him. Some of her pupils, mostly the children, immediately needed their hands held. The older ones were a more mixed bunch, stubborn and arrogant, some broke down, others bore it with their stubborn stupidity. Because in fact, taking her hand, would make all of them feel instantly better, not because of some saintly protection but from her power.

The wall of mist on the edge of town, wasn’t actually a wall at all, it was infinite, or at least, that’s how it seemed. The magic fog was more impressive than any other natural magical force in the whole of the continent. The first few steps were the hardest, adjusting to the sudden claustrophobia and icey grip. The fog liked playing with its new toys, taking them in and smothering them with affection. Others, such as Hal who returned often, were less interesting and instead it just hovered protectively around.

If everyone held her hand in the beginning, she would feed them small bits of her power. The fog would understand then, that there’s nothing interesting here and leave them alone. When you were smothered by the fog you couldn’t even see your own eyelashes, unlike darkness it was milky white swirls that blinded you. Hal however could see as well as if she were in town, maybe a little colder, but her vision was fine.

Hal kept walking, pulling Tal along like a tugboat. His breathing was quick and shallow, she really hoped he didn’t pass out on her. But soon the fog started relaxing around them, releasing him slightly, until at last he could see Hal in front of him and even a few feet away in several directions.

Last edited by Tsubasa Rose; 08-23-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 PM

The fog was unlike anything he’d felt before. It pulsated and breathed around him. It held him close in an icy embrace one minute and sighed and leaned away the next. The blinding whiteness that wasn’t bright was intoxicating. Like being lost in a giant swirl of sheets or marshmallows, everywhere he tried to look was vacant. He had no idea how many minutes passed, because it felt like an eternity had come and gone, before he could see anything besides the white.

He’d lost the connection with his limbs, but they had faithfully stayed connected to Hal, and from what he could discern with his limited perspective, had moved him further away from the town.

“Feeling better?” Hal’s voice was louder out here than it was back in town. Tal was amazed at the ringing quality which broke more openly in the quiet. “How much can you see?”

“About four feet around, only three feet clearly though.”

“That’s pretty good for the time we’ve been out here.” Tal couldn’t help noticing that Hal even seemed brighter out here. This fog was a mysterious entity, or maybe it was Hal that was the mysterious one. “It likes to play with you in the beginning but once it is more familiar, it will back off.” Tal noticed that the mist seemed to play around Hal very intimately. Brushing the side of her cheek and fluttering around her hair, weaving in between the folds of her clothes. “Today is just about becoming a bit more accustomed, both you and the fog. Tomorrow when we bring out your lantern we can start focusing on the magic and the work.”

“What kind of work is done out here?” Tal felt the old tingles of excitement stirring in him once again.

“Mostly we work on search and rescue. Every mage takes a shift between twelve and twenty-four hours, unless there is an emergency and you are required to take on extra hours. It it is magically and physically impossible to exceed 50 hours in the mist without losing consciousness. Which is another reason why we have constant patrols in the wild areas.”

“Even for you?” Tal was curious.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Tal didn’t have to imagine the edge in
her voice, it cut back at him like a razor.

“I ju-just meant that you are really powerful. Can’t you stay in the mist longer?” Hal relaxed a little.

“Power has nothing to do with it. Your magical energy is not what the mist feeds off of. It feeds of your physical energy, the electricity of your body in motion, from your arms and legs to your cells. At the fifty hour mark, your body has bled too much energy and you lose consciousness, even if you are three hundred pounds or thirty your body has a set amount of energy to give.” Tal watched as Hal swung her large staff around her, brushing away more and more fog. The light in the lantern at the end shone brightly, a steady glow of amber that cast a warm glaze over them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tal and Hal stayed out in the mist for several hours, wandering around. Hal noticed that the fog had taken a strong liking to Tal, more than once she had to come rescue him as it seemed to re-devour him. Each time the mist had tried taking him from her, she’d been forced to activate a sight enhancing spell. It enlarged her eyes as well as changed the color and receded her pupils to slits, much like cat eyes.

It was during a moment with her eyes enhanced that she noticed something in the distance. An orange flicker here and there. Hal felt unease, small animals were able to pass throughout the mist unnoticed, but this seemed much larger, almost like the cloak of a person.

“Tal I think it’s time we should return.” She’d managed to dislodge the mist from him for the ninth time that day, and now he stood soaked, again. Hal had to pull loose her lantern from her magic thread holder to cast a spell for him. The lantern acted as a funnel, keeping her magic limited and confined, she never dared to cast spells without it anymore.

“Weren’t we going to play a game?” Tal spun in a circle so that she could dry him. The warming spell was fast and loud, like a humming fire ball at the end of her staff. When he was completely dried, the flame exploded outward and the normal warm glow of the magic candle returned.

“Not today, if we can’t get the mist to detach for longer than half an hour, we’ll have to play when you have your staff with you.” Hal swung her staff in one counter clock-wise motion, the flame flickered emerald, electrifying sparks of bright green sparked out around Tal and Hal, then out into the mist. “We will follow this thread back to the village. You should hold onto me until we get back, you don’t want to get lost.”

Tal pinched the fabric behind her shoulder blade again. They took off towards the town, the light flickered a feet feet in front of them, sizzling out as they walked past until the reached the last posts and the tents were all visible again.

“I will see you at dinner.” Hal detached herself from his clasp, swung her staff up and around. Magically lassoing it too her back she walked away with out looking back.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 AM

“So how was it? First time in the mist is always interesting?” Louis was laying across his bed, body curled around a large pillow.

“It was fine,” Tal said quietly. “Are you ok? You look really pale.” Marcus, who Tal had not noticed before, moaned underneath his pile of clothes. Louis’ face was almost white, shining with sweat, his eyes were half open, but even Tal could see his eyes were unfocused. “You both seem awful, what happened?” Tal made his way across the room, weariness was coming over him slowly, like falling asleep. He wondered vaguely is he looked as bad as the Louis, who he could see, or Marcus, who it was hard not to hear.

Small drops of persperation were sliding over his face, across his cheeks, and into the small crevices all over his body. Heat was building up in the pit of his stomach, along with a large knot the size of his fist. He barely made it the six steps to his bunk, his legs had started cramping, all the muscles in him seized or spasmed.

“Tired?”Louis choked out a laugh.

“Yeah.” It was Tal’s turn to laugh. “What the hell happened? I was fine a minute ago.” Sinking into the mattress, Tal felt a little like he was melting.

“Must have been the mist. Sometimes is stronger than normal for some reason or another. We‘re just not used to it.” Louis’ laugh was quieter this time, half asleep it would seem. “N…er…od e…ough…”

“Whad you zay?” Tal murmured. Louis made no noise but Marcus moaned again.

Tal started to feel sick. His body felt like lead, but his mind was free. Nothing obeyed him, his fingers wouldn’t unclench, and even though his leg was falling asleep he couldn’t even roll over. Tal did his best just to sleep through the discomfort.

He tried the trick from when he was a child, he focused on something good to help him have good dreams. He thought about the day, which up until this point had been good. He reflected on the green string that had tied him and Hal together, for a second he felt the electricity between them, or not so much felt it as imagined it, but if the imagination is strong enough then it’s just a hop skip and a jump away from a real feeling. He thought about how she glowed in the mist, how she seem to come alive, ironic since the mist eats your life energy. The heavy fogginess of his body started lifting when he thought of Hal, or it might have been misplaced, as he distracted himself.

He didn’t sleep, but laying down for the few hours reenergized him. Slowly at first then building into a rolling rise, his strength returned throughout his body. By dinner time his thoughts were the only thing still weighed down, guilt had gathered just like his strength. How dishonorable was he to think about his teacher so much? But she filled every thought of his for the two hours that he lay on the bed; he read over every movement she made, her words, every breath. Could she have meant something when her hand brushed his as she tied the string between them?

“If you lay there any longer you’re gonna miss dinner.” Marcus flicked the lights on in the tent. The magical flame flickered against Tal’s closed eyelids. He reasoned that he must have fallen asleep. Saying a small prayer of thanks, he rolled out of bed. His body was sore, but if he didn’t move too much, it was less painful.

Together with Marcus and Louis they made there way to the meal tent for dinner. They’d only turned the corner of their street when a disturbing smell reached their nostrils. Normally at this point, a pugnant aroma of grilled meats and spiced vegetables had wafted over to them, but instead the scent was smokey, similar to burning plastic.

Rounding the corner to 10th st, the meal tent came into view, or rather, what was left of it. A crowd of people stood away from the inferno, chattering in loud voices over the sound of the roar of the flames. Getting closer, Marcus turned to a tall youth with black glasses.

“Lonn, what the hell happened?” He said awfully while staring at the pier of fire.

“Professor Arisa got into an argument with our guest Mr. Primston.” He said it in a stiff matter of fact way, his gaze never straying from the flames.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 PM

“About what?” Louis asked.

“Something about Hal. At least that’s what it seemed to be, before she went ballistic. It was harder to understand with the snarls.” Finally turning away from the fire, he glanced down at his a silver wrist watch. “Well I’m going to head to the commoners area for dinner, good night.” The trio said goodnight as he walked away. The chatter around them started to die down, but from the center of crowd came a distinct shriek.

“What happened?” Tal jumped, Hal had materialized beside him.

Louis immediately focused on Hal, chirping in with a response first before Tal could blink. “Arisa did it.”

“Do you know why?” Hal inquired. But before Tal or Louis could answer, there came another shriek. The crowd seemed to be moving out of the way for something coming at them.

“LET ME GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Arisa screamed. The parting of the rowd had reached them, and Arisa was revealed. Kicking and screaming, she was fighting her captors with violent thrashes and wild flailing of her arms. The two men holding her had no problem however, Dominques and the other large man, who Tal recognized as the other bodygaurd of the village head, had a firm grip.

“Arisa!” Hal rushed forward and threw her arms around Arisa. Tal wanted to help, because he actually feared for Hal’s safety, but he kept back. When Hal had grabbed her, Dominus and the other guard had realsed her, so her rampage became even more extreme, now that her arms were free.

“Let me go! Let me go!” She continued screaming.

“Arisa, please stop.” Hal’s pleas where barely heard over Arisa.

“Just leave her alone.” Lawrence Primston had appeared out of the crowd of people. Arms folded across his chest he looked on the spectale with an obvious glare of annoyance.

Arisa’s fiery eyes focused in on him. Her braids whipped around her, small sparks ignited wherever they grazed. “You!” She snarled.

“Hal, release her.” Lawrence removed his ivory over cloak in a grand sweep, tossing it at Marcus. Who caught it awkwardly, staggered by the sheer quanity of fabric.

“Get over it Lawrence! You two cannot keep acting like this.” Hal kept her voice as firm as her hold on Arisa. Tal couldn’t help hearing something very alive in the way she spoke, so unlike her normal monotone.

“Mind your own business Hal.” He shot back.

“Let me at him!” Arisa screeched.

“Stop it, both of you!” Hal’s cheecks flushed with anger. Tal rubbed his eyes. Arisa’s sparks had changed color, flickering in flashes of gold and blue.

“Don’t think you can beat me HAG!” Lawrence positioned himself to fight.

Arisa braced herself into a fighting position, even with Hal around her. “I’ll kill you.” Pushing off against Hal, she threw herself at Lawrence. On contact they both ignited into flames. Everyone moved out of the way as they punched, kicked, and finally rolled around trying to magic each over. However to Tal, it seemed the only spell that managed to stick was Lawrence keeping himself from being burned.

“Hal…” Tal heard Louis say. Tal turned his gaze away from the fight to see a crumpled Hal.
Her head was down in her hands, and now that Arisa was rolling in the mud to the side, Tal could see clearly now that the blue and gold sparks were actually coming from her.

Tal rushed to her side. When he tried putting his hand on her shoulder the sparks burned him. “Hal,” he tried getting her attention. Ignoring the burning he placed both hands on her shoulders and shook her a little. “Hal!”

She looked up with blue cat-eyes. The periced straight through him. He shivered under her gaze. Let me go. The words formed and melted only in his mind. Tal fell back away from her, stumbling to his feet he groped backwards for Louis and Marcus on the edge of the circle, his gaze never leaving her eyes. Her voice spoke in his head again. Move. Shuddering he realized her power was so strong he was feeling her will more than hearing her voice.

Fires were alight around them, tents, grass tufts, students. Whatever had been struck by Arisa’s sparks. The light grotesquely misshaping her already haunted face.

Tal tripped over himself, he couldn’t move fast enough. Louis pulled him out of the way, as Hal sprung to her feet and rushed forward, the fighting duo had rolled about twenty feet away by then. Hal clapped her hands, rubbed them together, gathering energy, then threw it forward at the, still fighting, duo. The electric blue sparks danced wildly around them.

Arisa noticed Hal before Lawrence, so that even if he got in an extra punch she managed to block most of Hal’s spell. Lawrence however, since he had no warning, was alight with a blue shining liquid that stuck to him, burning through his clothes with loud hisses and crackles.

Hal wasn’t thourgh yet, she undid her staff from it’s magic thread cradle, spun it around over her head, then paused. Arisa and Lawrence both opened their eyes wide, the same look of fear and shock across their faces. Hal spun her staff over her head again. Arisa and Lawrence scrambled to their feet, trying to escape. Hal spun it a third time, her lips moving in a unaduable spell. Lousis grabbed Tal by the cloak and pulled him away with all of the rest of the retreating crowd. Hal spun her staff a fourth and final time, then bringing the lantern to the ground in a swift slam, an explosion of power flung outward. The town shook in a mighty earthquake. Tents wobbled with the creaking of wood, brick and concrete, the light posts sway and flickered.

Tal, Marcus and Louis were thrown in the gound, along with every other person in sight, the tents quivered and swayed violently in constant convulsions. Tal felt his whole body bruise, as the power radiated over them with a pounding force. Then all at once, the strangest feeling that Tal would ever feel in his life, happened. The power sucked backwards, pulling him upwards as well as sucking the breath from him. Against his will, the power drew him backwards in slow-motion. He knew, more than felt, himself jogging back the way he had run. All around him great slits in the space had appeared, through each one was an endless view in space. Except in one. His eyes barely flitted over it, as he had no control over his head and he lost sight as backtracked out of sight of the portal. But Tal was sure, that a ghostly girl had been smiling at him with black eyes and a dark smile. The air funneled, there was a roar, and he was standing with complete control of himself again, in the exact position he had been in minutes before.

“Mind your own business Hal...” Lawrence flared, then stuttered.

“Let me at him…” Arisa started to screech but she trailed off.

Tal shook his head with the dejavou. Except, the fight didn’t excalate from there. And Hal was not holding Arisa this time. Arisa was in a position as if Hal had been there, but Hal stood between them, quietly.

“What the hell just happened?” Marcus looked questioningly from one to another, his eyes wide with confusion.

“Yeah,” Tal agreed. “I’ve never seen a spell like that.”

“What spell?” Louis asked, looking up at him searchingly. “Besides Arisa’s sparks no one has cast anything.” Marcus looked at him now like he was crazy.

“That spell right now,” Tal said unsurely, he felt nauseous. “The one Hal cast, with the blue power, it was like an implosion or something.” Marcus and Louis just looked him like he was crazy.

“What?” Feeling exasperated his voice unintentionally raised in volume, unaware that Hal’s, Arisa’s and Lawrence’s attention had all focused on him. “The blue bomb? You seriously don’t remember?”

“I think it is safe to say,” Lawrane said blankly, detaching himself from the group and coming towards Tal. “That it is more impressive that you do.” Remembering his cloak he took it from Marcus’ grasp and swung it around his shoulders. Tal couldn’t help but notice that his hands shook slightly as he refastened the clasp.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Finally cool and collected, Arisa brushed herself off. “Mr. Prattchet, please come with me.” She seemed tired, the first time Tal had heard anything from her not strewn with frustration. “Mr. Marcus and Mr. Louis that is enough gapping, you should proceed to the dinner hall before your meal gets cold.” Brushing them aside she led Tal away from the dinner hall , back into town. Each of his friends threw him a sympathetic look before hightailing it out of there. Tal was flabbergasted, the meal tent was smoking but the large flames had disappeared and it was still in one piece, unnoticed by everyone else.

Walking towards the central tent, the one Tal knew to belonging to the head of the village, the party arrived unexplainably exhausted for such a short hike.

Domininus came out at their approach and opened the flap, bowing respectively. Even tired, Tal knew not to expect the treatment again unless he was with the others. Everyone shuffled into the room exhausted, except Hal, who glided in like she always did.

The head professor sat upon the same chair Tal had seen him at before. He might have been wearing the same long navy cloak. His hands still lay in his lap, and his spectacles still sat propped up upon his head. Tal wondered if the old man was paying attention or even asleep, his eyes hadn’t opened since the group had come in.

“Are you hungry?” Tal jumped in surprise, the head master had spoken loudly.

“I would like a rare steak and spring vegetables, don’t skip on the seasonings.” Lawrence said swiftly. Arisa and Tal stared at him incredulously. Hal just stared. “What?” He snapped. “I’m hungry and I am not going to miss dinner because of some fluke with the child.” Flopping onto a large pillow top chair, he brought a handkerchief from the inside of his sleeve and lay it over his eyes. “And a glass of iced wine.”

“I told you not to call him a child,” Hal said placidly. She paused, next to a small table and stools. “I would like some chicken and toast, with a side of spiced mustard.”

“Hal!” Arisa gapped.

“I am simply agreeing with Lawrence about not missing dinner.” Lawrence’s hankerchief blew up and away from his face when he laughed at her.

“I would like some red jam and toast please. And If I could please get some tea.” Tal offered quietly. Arisa snarled at him.

“My dear, do you want to be the only one not to by enjoying a warm dinner?” The head master’s eyes crinkled with a smile.

“I want a rare steak with a dressed potato and a tall glass of cold beer.” She said huffly.

“My dear I am afraid I am unable to give you a glass of beer at this time.” The headmaster said still smiling.

“What?! Why not?” Arisa took a defensive stance. Tal wondered how she was mustering the energy to fight at this point. He’d taken a seat on a large pillow on the ground while she spoke, his body felt immense gratitude to finally be resting.

“Maybe because you are a such a child.” Lawrence said from beneath his hanky. Arisa didn’t even dignify him with a glare, she just tossed a small fire ball over his shoulder. It whistled throught the air before catching on Lawrence’s cloak. Startled, he fell out of his chair patting the flame out.

“I’m afraid Arisa that Lawrence is correct. While you are in the child’s body I cannot condone you drinking while still of that age.” Arisa flared up again, but she didn’t snap at the headmaster.

“And why the sudden change?” She asked through clenched teeth.

“It was brough to my attention that you have had some outbursts recently which have escalated rather quickly. I think it would be in your best interest to abstain from alcohol, in hopes that it might help with your self control.” He said it calmly, but by the shocked look on Arisa’s face it was as if he had slapped her. Abashed she took a seat in the stool across from Hal.

The food appeared moments later, ending the awkward silence after Arisa’s scolding. After everyone had their dishes the conversation didn’t pick back up, but the constant munching and nibbling was the excuse to keep them occupied. Finally after everyone was full and the leftovers pushed aside, the head professor summoned for clean up.

“It was a delicious meal.” He smiled at the helper picking up his dishes.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it sir.” The helper tilted her hat back centered on her head. She was wearing the traditional mushroom shaped chef’s hat. Tal recognized it from his own family chef’s outfit.

“Thank very much.” He said politely as she took his plates from him.

“You owe me.” She said huffily under her breath. Before he could ask why, she stumbled foreward. The stack of dirty dishes fell from her grasp splattering Tal with sauce and bits of food. “Oh excuse me!” Her voice filled with concern. “You’d better come with me to wash that out. You don’t want to stain your new uniform.” Taking his hand she bowed to the head master and pulled him outside. Several others in uniform brushed past to clean the mess up as they left the tent.

“You’d better be grateful, kid.” Stopping short the exuberant chef turned on him. Against the fire light, her fierce eyes seemed familiar.

“I do not know what to be thankful of: my ruined clothes or your rudeness.” Rubbing off a smatter of sauce on his face, he couldn’t hide the irratation from his voice. “Please mind your own business.”

“Mind my own business? Sorry to break it to ya kid, but everything to do with Hal is my business.” She said this matter of factly. Taking a towl from her chef coat she pulled it taught between her hands. Eyeing him up and down she smirked. “You don’t recoginze me do you?”

“No-ow!” He’d no sooner shook his head when she snapped him with the edge of the towel. “What was that for?” The irritation in his voice was even more pronounced now that his leg was stinging.

“I’m just hurt that you don’t recognize me is all.” She didn’t look hurt to Tal, she looked, and sounded, catty. She reached up and removed her chef’s hat. She ignored his open mouthed gape and headed back toward the tent. “Are you coming? Don’t ya wanna hear what they are saying about ya?”

Removing the chef’s hat had dispelled her magic, and now Fischer’s complexion darkened before his eyes, she even grew a little taller as he followed her.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 AM

“Why?” he began, once he’d regained the ability to talk. “Why did you , of all people, do this? I was not in trouble or anything.” He wasn’t sure if it was the skulking the were doing or the quiet of the town but he trode softly and dropped his voice to a whisper. “Was I?”

Putting a finger to her lips, she gestured for him to follow her around a corner. The dodged from shadow to shadow until coming up behind the headmaster’s tent. Sitting down beneath a window she stained her ears to the tent opening. When he didn’t sit down right away she grabbed his hand and pulled him beside her. Listening closely he could tell that the group inside had entered an argument since he left.

“-That’s why I said it was dangerous!” Arisa had recovered her vivacity in the short time. But her snarls were still slightly contained.

“Hal has a job to do.” The head mast said firmly.

“He is obviously not the right student for her. And a permenant student at that!” Lawrance seemed to have caught Arisa’s temper, his voice raised to her decibal.

“She shouldn’t even be here! You need to move her on. You’re the one to blame. Just letting her wallow in her self pity!” Arisa snapped.

“A student has no business teaching another student! Politically speaking it’s risky, what if that boy tells his father. You think the other society members will support your decision. Think of how it makes the school look!” There was a russle of cloak, Tal watched saw Lawarence’s shadow stand up against the tent walls. From what Tal could discern, this tent was an actual tent unlike the other buildings of the town.

Fishcer was giving him a curious glare, but restrained her own questions.

“It was not his father’s decision to have Hal teach his son. Even if it were, the decesion was up to me. Remember that you are a guest, Sir. And Arisa, I leave it to Hal to decide where she resides, I would never kick her out.” The headmaster verbally smacked each on the hand. Tal felt a knot in his chest release, so it hadn’t been political stringing that caused for him to be paired with Hal. “The boy has excellent potential. One of the few of his many classmates to have noticed Hal’s spell. I think that that fact would warrant him some merit.”

“If it even was his own ability!” Arisa shot back, seemingly unharmed by the reprimand this time.

“Arisa is right! He has been working magic with Hal. All he needs is a stray thread of magic on him and her abilities will transfer over. It doesn’t take much to have a ghost rebound of power. If he is on her wave-length then of course he would notice her spells.” Lawrance’s voice was laced with bitterness, but Tal couldn’t guess why. His shadow had begun to pace in a small circle around his chair.

“He did not have any stray magic on him when he was here ten minutes ago.” The headmaster said evenly.

“It may have been in the crease of his folds or even fallen off when we were walking over here! Don’t protect him by stretching out excuses!” Arisa’s voice was getting shrill.

“I think it is you Madadme Paratanii who is extending excuses. Isn’t it true that most often it is the simpliest answer that is correct.” There was a shuffle of robes.

A shadow loomed over Fischer and Tal, each froze with a cold dread. The headmaster stood at the window above them. Tal didn’t dare look up to see if they had been noticed. The headmaster sighed, there was another slight rustle, something fluttered to the ground next to Tal, then a large rustle in which Fischer and Tal were once again brough to the light.

Tal watched Fischer grabbed a fistful of grass and dirt with one hand, and his shirt sleeve with the other. Tugigng him away from their crouch, they followd the shadows until they made it back to their sleeping quarters.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 AM

Fischer threw on a robe and shook out her hair from the confines of the silver clasps that kept it back from her eyes. Tal sat at the edge of his own bunk, running his fingers through his slight curls.

“Who’s your dad?” Fischer finally asked after their own thoughts and musings threatened to eat them alive.

“He is a noble and aristocrat in parlament.” He admitted quietly. “But that has nothing to do with me.”

Fischer’s eyes were wide and focused on him. “Of course it has to do with you!” A fire that Tal couldn’t understand had rose seemingly from deep inside of her.

He felt his own pulse quicken and his face burn. “No! It does not! Don’t speak as if you know things.”

“I’m parent enough to know when children are being childish!” She scoffed.

“What is your problem?! This is exactly why I do not tell people. Everyone overreacts.” Frustrated with his own disappointment in Fischer he mentally checked himself. Maybe it had been a small part of him hoping that someone out there wouldn’t care about his titles. Hal had earned the respect that people willing threw at him, which only made him feel more worthless.

“Why are you in school for magic?” Her voice was measured, but her eyes were narrowed in animosity.

“Because,” he started. He almost stopped but she stepped closer and he feared she might strangle him if he was too stubborn. “Because it is what I wanted to do. I am the third child, second son and I did not want to be used as a political pawn. Because I find it ten times more interesting than any political mess, and finally so I can meet new people who are more concerned with what I am able to do than what I can do for them.”

This answer did not satisfy Fischer in the slightest. Disgusted she spat at his feet. “Don’t lie to me, you just wanted to hide coward.” Winded he sat on his bed head in his hands. In a huff she gathered all her items dispersed around the room and left. Tal didn’t see her again that week.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hal sat quietly folding and unfolding her napkin in her lap, then she picked at the stitching until she had unraveled it all. Thread spilling out of her hands and lap onto the floor she busied herself thinking of spells to rewind the thread into napkin form. Around her, everyone argued and bickered.

Finally a small part of her mind checked out and she rose in the midst of a heated discussion and left. One of the lead servants handed her a small piece of paper, which she slide into an inner pocket, then, while ignoring the outcries of Arisa, she left for home.

She hadn’t gone far when she decided her feet carried her away from her home. Annoyed she tried to turn back but her body ignored her mind. Not one to fight, she allowed herself to be led into the student housing, into a tent, and led right in front of her bewildered pupil.

“Hal?” Tal posed the obvious question with wide eyed unease. “Can I help you?” He added after a breath.

“Apparently.” She said. Finding her feet in her own control again she back away from him and stood near the wall of the tent. He was still giving her a look of utter bafflement. Hal assumed it had to do with her continued silence, but seeing that she didn’t know what he could help with either her question was postponed with thought.

Hal hadn’t admitted it in front of Arisa, mostly because she hadn’t been listening to well, but also because it didn’t seem like a big deal, but Hal had known that there was no stray threads of her own power left on Tal. If Arisa had thought it through she would have realized the insult against her friend. Stray threads were a sign of sloppiness and Hal didn’t make those kinds of mistakes. Focusing on Tal she left her eyes unfocus until she ould see two of him, the space inbetween, right where the two visions of him met, she saw the familiar flames of a strong magical center. He shifted from side to side, distracting her gaze, he slide into focus and then came towards her.

“Hal?” He whispered imploringly. He leaned in closely to her before continuing. “What was that spell?” His apparent awe of her was not concealed in the slightest. “Was that dark magic?” He whispered even lower. She would have laughed, had she been the type of person to laugh, at his childish attempt at secrecy.

“No,” He jumped back at her firm and loud reply. “It was just very advanced. Only a handful of people can perform time manipulation spells so it is uncommon to hear about it.” If she had to guess, he liked listening to her talk, his face lit up and his eyes greedily followed her mouth. Hal felt more than a little unnerved at this, taking a chair from the desk she sat down across from where he had sat on his bed.

“Is it advanced for it’s power consumption?” Tal inquired.

“No,” Hal felt a smile rising in her chest, but it wasn’t strong enough to breach her calm features. “It’s advanced because the pupil’s have to be able to remember the action of the spell. Time its self chooses who can learn its ways. You show promise since you remember the spell I performed. This is not the case with many, few an even tell if the spell has taken place at all. In that instance, it is indeed a level of power. The example would be between Arisa and Louis, which you observed.”

“I can learn it? Would you teach me?” Hal notied he sat on the very edge of the bed, his legs were twitching in, she guessed, excitement. She had to admit that it was refreshing having such an enthusiastic tutor. Many students washed out of the fifth step of training because they met magic studies grudgingly.

“Not now. Should you learn it would be around step ten or possibly even higher,” Hal said.

He was quiet a moment in thought, she took the breath to study him. She
had hardly looked at him before, but seeing as he was her preeminent student she should at least know what he looks like, that way, should he wander too far in the mist, she could describe him to the rescue team.

“I did not realize there were so many steps,” Tal muttered quietly. “I have never heard much about any of the steps after the fifth anyway, but to imagine there are more than ten, until I am certified. How long does it even take?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note (in case you don't read Pg1 update info):
*Update September 27th* *unnecessary evil cackle* 7x!!! I impress myself lol: anywhoo viva la survival of nightmare week (personally) I had so many test and papers due - and although still not up to speed I'm surviving. Oh! and here's something awesome- so I commissioned a DA artist (ktshy) to draw Hal >D and it looks pretty close good so I am here to supply link (no idea how long till it breaks) I thought I would share ^_^ Keep in mind the outfit she's wearing is not what Hal wears every day- in fact it's special sauce so don't think too hard on it yet. The lantern staff is a bit different from how I imagined but I was just glad she didn't charge extra for accessories (the top curves around and the lantern hangs). Oh and considering where we are in the story Hal's hair isn't that long.... ok kinda nit picking but it's still a great pic so here ya go!
http://ktshy.deviantart.com/art/Comm...-Hal-137439363

edit: I should mention she does wear a similar outfit- the vest isn't as fancy and is normally just brown leather. (sry that was bugging me)

Last edited by Tsubasa Rose; 09-30-2009 at 04:44 AM..

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 AM

“Depends on the person.” Hal thought about her own path, she certainly was not graduating any time soon, but she had no feelings about this, remorse, anger or otherwise. “You’ll find out about the other stages when you leave here. Mostly anyway, some steps you won’t understand even after you’ve completed them.” She thought back to step 11, certainly the most bizarre chapter in her life. “And of course you don’t complete them in order, so how well you perform, and are therefore in a certain step, may change. I recommend doing them in order, even if others may seem more appealing.” Hal looked up from the weave of the rug and found herself gazing into Tal’s eyes. He had nice eyes, they were warm and full of depth, she even felt a pull like the allure of an ocean tide.

“If you do not mind me asking, what step were you on when you decided to come back to the fifth step?” Hal followed the words out of his mouth until the settled in her mind like butterflies on a flower. She didn’t like answering people when they asked this question, but he wasn’t threatening, tricking her into responding before realizing she spoke.

“The fourteenth and final step,” the words rolled of her toungue like drips of honey. Tal blinked and the temporary dullness of her thoughts sharpened. “That information is for your knowledge only.” Rasing out her chair, she shook Tal’s hand abruptly. Ignoring his startled and hurt look she left the dorm keeping even strides to get back to her home.

Burried in her thoughts small fizzles of emotions, like firecrackers, exploded inside of her chest. It was not often that she forgot herself, especially in the face of strangers. Her thoughts did not stray to those of how Tal had received her, it was the first of many nights where she could only turn over in her mind, the actions that had brought her speeding back to the comfort of her locked doors.

Over the next few months Tal felt at a loss. The night Hal had suddenly fled from his room became the first in a series of weeks where her odd behavior would leave him confused. His training would intensify to the point of black outs and sickness then be as soft and playful as a child’s game. Hal likewise would be as cold and distant as the southern most tundra of Haventionly, to a warm almost normal demeanor, like they were good friends. It was on these days that he relished her presence, when he would talk to her about the world and everything in it.

The related their common recollections of the capital and all of the museums. Hal revealed a little more about her travels because of her teachings, while Tal would lie and say he traveled for schooling as well. He felt a little ashamed that even after several months of confidence he was unable to tell her of his family, but it was quelled by the lack of information Hal too relinquished of her past. He became less of a student and more of partner as their missions into the mist would intensify. On occasion they were even teamed with Arisa, Marcus and Louis for, what he called, adventures. Working out in the magical mist would call for everything from rescue missions to catching criminals to even (on occasion) finding lost pets. Time melted away as Tal became comfortable in his new home, his guard fell a little lower each passing week.

It was a almost four months from when Fisher had left when Tal, while diggin under his bunk for a wayward sock, came across a crumpled piece of paper tucked in the shadows of his bed. Disregarding it shoved it into a pocket and headed off to train with Hal. Even though much of their teacher-student status had fallen she still showed him new spells every once in awhile, even relenting to a few time spells.

“Flick your wrist more,” Hal commented. “You’re not spinning you fingers deftly enough. If you keep holding ba-” the staff fell from Tal’s twirl with a loud clatter, “-ck-- See this is why you should twirl the baton more often.”

“I am sorry, but it looks girly when I do it. Marcus will not stop making fun of me for it.” Tal said, brushing the mud from the panes of his lantern. “Why is twirling so important? Should it not work fine if I get the incantation right?”

“Words are only ever half of the power,” Hal said slightly exasperated. “I’ve told you several times that this will give it an extra punch.”

“Why do I need an extra punch for this? It is not like I will be using it in battle,” Tal argued back. Something flickered out of the corner of his eye, swiftly moving to the side he narrowly managed to avoid a rogue fireball.

“Getting better!” Arisa tumbled downwards from the sky landing beside the duo. Tal wondered quietly where she fell from, but decided that it was only the mystery that was Arisa.

“Thanks, but I would not have to get better, if some people did not throw so many things at me,” Tal scoffed. He had gotten better at not being charred at Arisa’s every drive by impulse but it was a skill he could have learned with less buying of new clothes.

Arisa just laughed him off. “Hal dear, I need to speak to you in private for a moment.” Hal’s glassy eyes blinked in acknowlegement.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 PM

*Update* So my laptop has not been fixed yet, and it looks like it might be the motherboard now instead of my dc jack. I was thinking of just postponing another post, but it looks like life is gonna get really crazy now. Technically I'm gonna label myself as in a hiatus, but if I ever get the chance I might do sporadic updates ^_^ I will be back on a schedule hopefully around january. Not to be conceited but I recommend just "watching" this thread b/c I honestly don't know when my random updates will be (if ever lol) - that is if you wanna read what I write lol

Happy Holidays and Great days till I see ya later ^_^

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Flexing her fingers outwards, the young women rolled them and fiddled as if playing piano. It was still hard to imagine that she wasn’t human anymore. Yet, just by looking at her hands she knew.

Her nails felt solid, like diamonds, tapping against her leg. Each with a perfect sheen, curve and cut, even the best manicure back home couldn’t compare.

“Back home...” she rasped to the empty room. The sun hadn’t yet risen from behind the mountains, but the early morning air had flooded over into the valley waking her new senses. They, her best friend and herself, had been in this new land for a month already, yet it still seemed like yesterday when they been back at the coffee shop.

It had been a typical Monday morning. June was still a little hung over and Lucy was sleep walking beside her. They had missed the bus to campus and inadvertently wandered towards their favorite coffee place.

June shuddered at the memory of hot mocha. She missed home so much, like a monster sized void inside her heart.

She had been sipping her coffee when she tripped, spilling the hot drink down her front. Startled she paused a moment to wipe away the liquid before it stained her new jacket. When she looked up, she saw that Lucy had continued her sleep walk into the street. Horrified, June ran forward, the voice in the back of head had told her to stop, that she wouldn’t make it. To be honest, if she had known now, what she had known then, she would have let her best friend been hit by the truck, but she hadn’t. Impulse and fifteen years of friendship threw her into the street, at her friend, right as the truck hit, right as the other car barreled out of nowhere, right as the lights flickered, the clouds came in, the portal opened, and Lucy was sucked in, her friend June still attached, portal closing with a rush of hot air from the explosion.

There was a rap at her door. Pulling the sheets up to cover her naked chest she coughed in acknowledgement. Speaking was still rough on her throat, but that was to be expected. The heavy wooden door swung open revealing a young man of fine features. His emotions hidden behind an alien mask.

June had been awake for a week, but the idea that elves existed still shook her. She couldn’t doubt there existence long, however, since now she was one of them. A tear slid down her cheek and fell upon her new nails.

The man, her doctor, didn’t say anything. He performed his routine examinations, same as every hour. When he finished he sat at the edge of her bed and sighed. June fell back into the pillows, she was sick of hearing his apologies.

When they had fallen through the portal, Lucy had miraculously landed with only a couple bumps and bruises. June had not. She had fallen first into a large branch, snapping each of her ribs and thrusting them back into her chest, perforating every organ except, amazingly, her heart. The pain was too much, her lungs were on fire, yet she coughed uncontrollably, causing her to fall from the branch. First her legs snapped as she landed on the rock pile, then she’d crumpled to the side crunching another arm beneath her, until she cracked her head on the stones and was finally given peace.

He was talking to her, but the words didn’t register, like rain on windows it was only noise that ran off. It was the same every time he came in. He tried to speak, but she didn’t listen. Even if her hearing had increased exponentially, even though her ears were even better shaped for acoustics, she didn’t hear.

The pain had been indescribable, the injuries too much. June died. She knew it to be a fact, a fact so true it rang from the tips of toes to the summit of her soul. Fate was on Lucy’s side however, at that exact moment, when they crashed from the sky, two men had been nearby. Finding the pathetic picture, Lucy crying over a mangled June, they immediately rushed them to the closest hospital not even one hundred yards away.

He had stopped talking. The pressure left the foot of the bed, and June heard the door close. All was quiet again.

It only took a moment to realize that all of the blood on Lucy’s clothes where from June. The doctors and nurses came in swiftly descending like angels or devils, June never decided. She had died, but in her warm comforting darkness there had been a voice. It was unfamiliar but the words it spoke dripped like warm honey inside her heart.

Three weeks later, she was alive, but the truth came out in undulated high pitched horror. Like a new born suddenly finding herself away from her mother’s womb she had screamed with terror for the alien terrain. It was cold and bright, and deep inside her mind her thoughts rippled with foreign ability.

The transformation had started immediately and by the time she had awoken three weeks later, it was almost complete. Lucy had ran to her side to calm her, cradling her tortured friend for days.

Lucy, the doctor and the knights had all tried to explain and talk to her for days. It was too much for June. She sealed away her thoughts and heart, until at last on the sixth day no one but the doctor had come to see her. She wasn’t sure if the echoing pain was from the regrets, pain or feelings of abandonment.

There was a rap at her door, this time however, she made no sound to acknowledge. The doctor entered again, another hour had come and gone.

“June?” He called quietly. June’s eyes stayed unblinkingly focused on the heavens beyond the roof of her room. There was a creak of floor board as the doctor knelt beside her. Brushing away the bangs from her forehead he grimaced.

He was trying to connect with her. June met the probing in her heart with revolt. He had been the one to turn her, therefore, like siblings they would always be connected. It was not love in her heart though, it was a feeling darker than hatred that burned at his gentle touch.

“I’m sorry,” he said again, his face contorted with sadness. A deep breath escaped from her, releasing some of the tension in her chest.

“Dr. Noel, is she awake?” Lucy’s voice drifted into the room. Quickly standing up and flattening his clothes, his face emptied of any betrayal of emotions.

“Yes,” he replied, opening the door to admit her. “I’m afraid she is still in a semi-catatonic state however.” Lucy fell beside her best friend’s bedside, sobbing into June’s unresponsive shoulder. “Try to get her to eat.” Noel said as he left the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

“Ju-ju-bee I’m so so so sorry.” Lucy whispered. June twitched at the sound of
her nickname. Rather like a child, Lucy pulled herself up and onto June’s bed. First atop June, Lucy wiggled until she was comfortably laying beside her, hugging her friend she sobbed until she fell asleep.

June continued to lay still, but the beating of her friend’s heart, and the soft warm breaths on her neck rose her dormant mind. She didn’t want to be this sad or empty, but the pull to stay in bed was stronger than the pull to get out of it. The constant sound of the heart beating beside her stirred the waters of her still mind out of its placid state.

When she had been human, the idea of being in bed for hours, let alone days, was unthinkable. She had track, the gym, classes, work, her boyfriend, family, friends, volunteer work, clubs and so much more to fill up all of her time. It was not just her body that her changed, when she had slept, all of her had changed. The feeling of disjointedness was the root for all other problems. Who was she anymore, if not herself?

----------------------------------
Update! Feb 12th: Good googlymooglies I have been gone awhile lol But i'm back! -ish. well I was sick for a long time so I haven't had time to really work on The FIfth Step. However, I did start a new story or restart rather and so here ya go! Don't worry I'm takin it easy in life so my writing will hopefully be kicked into full gear soon enough. Any questions, comments, or concerns? PM me (i don't bite lol) -Oh! and Happy V-day :)

Last edited by Tsubasa Rose; 02-12-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 AM

Lucy muttered something in her sleep and snuggled closer to June. June caught herself reflexively reaching over to hold Lu-lu. Lucy had always been a bit of a little sister, childlike in her frank expressions of love. June had always been the more composed older sister type but they got along well. June had always had a firm resolve, one that didn’t break when her mother took up drinking, or when Lucy’s parents had died, or even when her own boyfriend had hit her the night before the accident. That was one bruise June was glad to have healed. It saddened her a little to realize that even now, she had to raise onto her own two feet. No one, not even Lu-lu and all her love, could do it.

Realization struck her sharply as she felt burning behind her eyes and down her cheeks. It built up until for the first time since she had awoken, she cried whole heartedly. This was not a wayward tear to brush away, or hysteric screams and dry sobs. Wrenched out from the depth of her being, she cried big tears that seared her cheeks that came as a steady stream. Lucy didn’t wake up until long after the tears had stopped.

Bolting upright she groped wildly around on the bed. She had always been slow to wake, but the fogginess cleared quickly, first at the panic of being alone in the bed, then at shock to what her focused eyes saw. June was sitting in a chair at the table in the corner, sipping at the glass of tea, washing down the last bite of bread from breakfast.

Toppling from the bed, and stumbling to June’s side, tears of joy spilled from Lucy’s shining baby blues.

“June! You’re awake! And Up!” Throwing her arms around her friend she
laughed.

“Yes I am,” June spoke softly. Her throat was the last thing in her body to change, or more specifically her voice, it was still raw at times. She smiled at her friend and absently patted her on the head.

Lucy suddenly jerked away from June, jumping to her feet she ran from the room screaming at the top of her lungs, “Doctor, she’s awake!”

June laughed. Hands folded on the table she rested her head. Every chance she got alone she knew that she would have to summon strength to keep smiling for everyone.

“Hello,” a voice called from the doorway. Bolting upright, June plastered a smile on her face. A young man came in slowly. June’s smile faltered, he seemed really familiar but all the new faces were a blur.

“Hi,” she returned quietly. He looked a little relieved as he took a seat across from her at the table.

“Well that’s a better reaction than the first few times we met,” he smiled with good humor. Her brow furrowed in puzzlement so he explained. “I’m the knight that found you. So the first time we met you were certainly worse for wear. The second time you were unconscious, and the third time you were so hysterical you threw a vase at me.” He laughed again, with less certainty however.

June felt mortified and embarrassed Stumbling over words she finally mumbled an apology. “I’m so sorry about everything. Thank you so much for helping us, and saving my life.”

His eyes focused in on her and there was an uneasy pause. “Are you really thankful?” he asked in a leveled tone. Taken aback June leaned away from him, they sat in quiet unsureness. She was saved from answering because Lucy had found the doctor and dragged him into her room.

“For goodness sake! I can walk on my own thank you!” Noel said, shaking free from Lucy’s grip. “Since she is indeed awake I need to do a quick check up if you would all please leave the room.” Lucy tried to stay against his protests, but the knight dragged her out at Dr. Noel’s request. Once the door was firmly closed he took the chair across from her.

“How are you feeling?” he asked slightly nervous.

“I feel fine... physically anyway.” June replied, taking a long sip of tea. “I still don’t understand anything, but I realize that I can’t change anything. I’ll just have to get over it.” Her voice was firmer than she could have hoped for, even she almost believed it.

“Even though your case is rare, I do know enough to be able to answer most questions. I should tell you again that because of our connection I am happy to take responsibility.” It sounded to June like he knocked her up rather than changed her species, the wound was still a little new for laughter though. “It is irreversible and, again, I am truly sorry.”

“How did this happen exactly? I really can’t change back?” June asked her eyes looked up into his steely ones. She could almost see herself clearly in his large stormy irises, she wondered if his eyes were genetic or elven. She had always been told her glare was piercing but with eyes like his they would cut like a blade.

“I have one last question before I answer yours. I tried asking your friend Lucy, but she never answered me directly. I need to know however, and I will call upon our bond if I must, for you to answer me.” He moved to the edge of his chair and leaned in towards her. She braced herself, in the pit of her stomach she knew that this would answer her own question as much has his. Noel took her hand and questioned. “You are from another world or dimension aren’t you?”

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM

“I am from the city Los Angeles, in the state California, in the country, the United States of America, on the continent North America, on the planet Earth.” She rasped, her throat was burning again.

He leaned back in his chair and ran this fingers through his long hair. “I know none of those names. It seems you indeed from another place altogether.” He straightened himself up and began to explain. “On our world when a child is born they are a blank slate. One day after the child is born there is a ceremony. A mage healer of one of the three species comes, they injure the child, a pinprick or such, and heal the baby. This healing, like dropping ink into the water, it spreads, unlike the ink it doesn’t dilute but instead it metamorphoses. The ceremony only happens once, and the child becomes that race beyond death. We on this planet are not limited by genetics but by the magics of the world.” He paused to pour himself a cup of tea. He gathered his thoughts while draining the cup. “It seems that on your planet you have lived without the ceremony, perhaps there isn’t magic on your world, or possibly it is only human magic. Nonetheless, it seems my magic was the first you were exposed to. It changed you from being a blank slate.”

“How ironic that when I’m supposed to be filled in I am the most empty.” June commented. Coughing up small flecks of blood June winced. Noel went to her side and proceeded to run a check up. She imagined it went a lot better than when she was catatonic.

“Your throat should be fully healed in another day, yet you still sound a lot like an elf already.” He smiled encouragingly, but it only sickened her. Noel walked to the other side of the room to gaze out the window. “I should mention that I have not told your friend that you transformed. In fact I used some of my magic to keep your appearance nearly the same as when I first saw you. Without so much blood needless to say.”

“Wait?” June gaped. “She doesn’t know?”

“No.” He turned to face her. The light streamed in behind him, lightening his already fair hair into a luminescent glow. “I did not think it was my business to tell her. Doctor patient confidentiality.” He paused and came out from in front of the window, the glow faded until it was just him. “To be honest I needed her cooperation and that would have been more complicated if she knew. The young knight, I suspect, has figured it out but the other human has not.” Taking the seat across from her he poured himself some tea. “Friends of yours?”

“No,” June said quietly. Her mind was near boiling. If Lucy didn’t know about the transformation then it certainly complicated things. Yet, it also meant that her life as a human wasn’t over yet, which excited her. Gathering her thoughts she felt real energy giving her hope. “You say you used magic to keep me looking normal. How long will the magic last?” She tried to keep her voice light and casual.

“Well as long as you are near me I can keep it steady for you as long as you like.” Noel answered, one eye brow rose slightly. “However, without your own control over your own magic you won’t be able to mainta-”

“-What?!” June jolted. “My own what?!” Her heart thumped painfully in her chest.

“You have magic now,” Noel said with a small smile. June’s face lit up. She had known that Noel had magic, but to think of herself having magic was like a childhood dream.

“How?” she asked excitedly, depression and pain forgotten. “How does it work? What can I do?”

“Well,” he started, laughing into his hand. “All elves have a few basic abilities: healing, telekinesis and the Sight. Some have more and with some, their abilities are so limited they are basically nonexistent. I myself have such limited telekinesis, it’s easier to just reach and grab what I need.”

“What’s sight?” June questioned lapping up details with renewed frenzy.

“The Sight refers to our ability to see the fantastical when it is not otherwise obvious.” He explained. “A stronger sense of Sight will also see through veils of illusion, and the strongest among us may even see through spells and dissect them.”

“How is it possible? Magic is everywhere in this world, it’s so amazing.” June leaned back into her chair, stars still in her eyes. “Humans can use magic too, right?”

“Yes,” Noel said quietly. “There are three races: elves, humans and faerie folk. Each can use magic but in varying degrees and abilities. Elves are the strongest to stand by themselves, besides the rare human. Faerie folk use magic that is more compatible to combined for complicated spells. Humans generally have only healing abilities and the occasional human may learn some elemental spells. Although humans do have the advantage of numbers.”

“What are the ratios like?” June wondered.

“Humans alone match the other species 2:1. However, the faerie folk have very little cooperation amongst each other. With elves alone the ratio is more like 100:1.”

“Why are elves the strongest?” June asked. This was her new life, but it hadn’t lost the flavor of childhood story time.

“I think it is time for you to rest,” Noel said calmly avoiding her eyes.

“Why?” June asked again. Something in the shift of Noel’s body, and the way little lines formed on his smooth forehead, said that she wasn’t going to like the answer.

“Legends say that elves were created from the two races. The sky people, humans, and the earth people, faeries, thus why we share so much with the two races and they share so little with each other. There is something that each of them have however, which cannot co-exist in the same being. Elves were created under special circumstances.” Noel stopped long enough to help June back in bed before continuing.

“The story goes: there once was a gentle demon who fell in love with a quaint lass. She was a farmer’s daughter that would sing to the flowers in her garden. The demon was attracted by her voice, and thought it was enough to be a flower in the garden. Yet, when winter came it was time for flowers to die and he had fallen in love with the girl. It was around this time that the girl’s only family, her father, fell ill. The demon at great personal risk to himself, for demons were hunted in this time, revealed himself to the girl and asked to marry her. At first the girl rejected him, out of fear, most likely. Winter passed and in the spring, he came back so that when the snow melted he was waiting as a flower for her. Meanwhile her father became bedridden permanently and died on the sunrise of the first day of spring. Heartbroken the lass fell to the garden bed crying. The girl recognized the flower and when it transformed into the demon her heart filled with love, and they were wed though they lived in different worlds.

“The lass grew to be a woman and she called the demon to have a child with. Even then they knew that it was not possible, but she never lost faith. She was granted with twins. One of the children became a seed which they planted into the earth. The second child became the first elf.

“The second child was the only one not to forget the sibling of the earth. But it was not until death that their bond was realized. When the last petal fell to the earth, so did the final breath leave the other.”

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM

“I don’t think I understand,” June said finally.

Noel was quite for so long that June almost fell asleep. Until finally he looked at her and sighed. “In order to be born with the magic of his father and the essence of his mother it had to be divided.”

“What do you mean by essence?” June wondered.

“It was his soul.” Noel professed. “Essentially... Elves do not have souls within them. ”

Like a punch to the stomach June was stunned. This was not was she had expected to ever hear. That she was now soulless. She had never been particularly religious but she knew enough to know that she needed her soul.

“Relax,” he added hastily. “We don’t have them within our bodies, but we do have souls in other beings that are our siblings...” He trailed off as the thought between them blossomed. Since June hadn’t been born an elf, where had her soul gone to?

June felt a cold chill rattle her to her bones. Noel tucked in the blanket around her.

“Will you please rest?” He placed a hand upon her sweaty brow, his voice filled with concern. Shock had brought back her fever and as he watched, her face noticeably paled.

June opened her mouth to protest, to keep asking questions, but her mouth was dry and a sudden chill loosened all the energy from her body. Closing her eyes with exhaustion, a single tear fell from her cheek.

Chapter 2:

“So David is cute right?” Lucy said leaning towards June, her eyes stayed hooked on the hunk in front of her.

June adjusted herself on the horse. Horse back riding wasn’t really her forte but she didn’t have much a choice. They had finally left the hospital and were on route to the nearest city.

It took one month from waking up to be healed enough for travel. Lucy thought it had taken two, but really the second month was dedicated to Noel teaching June as much as he could about magic. By then her pain was the aching of readjusting to her new limitations. The drain on her body was masked by the lie that her human limitations were still in place.

Noel dedicated most of his days to helping her, dropping all his patients to spend all waking hours with her. For her part, in order to get through the days, June had pulled all of her sadness and pain inwards, wound it up tightly and stuffed it behind a door then locked it with all her effort. She dived into learning about her magic and adapting to her new body, like a second puberty, it really sucked.

She still hadn’t worked up the nerve to tell Lucy. June could see that Lucy felt guilty about her injuries and being in their predicament, even though they had no idea what happened. At the end of the day, however, it wasn’t her desire to protect her friend but her shame. What if Lucy’s feelings changed toward her? They needed to stick together in order to get back home, no need to make things more complicated.

So even though they had been traveling for a week, June had not lowered the spells around her even once. Consequently she was feeling very drained, like running a marathon.

She hadn’t had time to master a spell to completely cover herself, so she was left with a bunch of smaller spells that were less efficient and involved more energy consumption.

Noel had explained that elven bodies had adapted and taken on characteristics that made them great warriors. Her hair was thicker, heavy and strong, like a light armor. Her skin had become both silky smooth and durable, she had to work to make it seem less like silk and more like the rough skin she had been born with. The tips of her ears had to be spelled to seem rounded instead of the new aerodynamic point they had taken, as well as her nose, cheeks and eyes. Thankfully not everything needed to be spelled, her new muscles for instance. June had never been out of shape, so she just had to be careful about revealing her new strength and flexibility. Even her endurance had increased, although it was hard to tell when the magic was draining her so much.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM

“June?” June snapped upwards. Lost in her thoughts she had fallen foreword slightly and drifted asleep. Lucy puller her mare up besides June’s and grabbed the reins, pulling them to a stop.

“Guys,” Lucy called forward. “I think we need to take a break.”

“No,” June said with a waver. “It’s fine. I’m fine.” She smiled and added a “Really.” to Lucy’s doubting gaze.

The two men in front of them looked to the sky and then at each other, nodding in agreement.

“We are making good time, and it’s important to not push yourself June.” David said with good humor. When June opened her mouth to object, he raised a hand for silence and said, “We’re fine. Really.” Lucy laughed beside her. “Luke if you want to ride ahead a little, there is a stream, you can fill our canteens for break.”

Although he hadn’t objected, Luke cantered off with a slight frown. They hadn’t really talked since he had been in her hospital room those many months ago. June got the distinct impression that he didn’t like her.

“If I may milady,” David held his hand out to her, to assist in getting down from the saddle.

“I’m fine, really.” June said, brushing his hand aside. David kept smiling and moved onto Lucy, who did accept his hand. June couldn’t help but notice that they would make a cute couple. They were both very attractive with their lovely locks of gold and eyes of cerulean, it made her a bit nauseous. There was also a hint of nervousness, she hadn’t really talked to Lucy about it yet, but she had assumed that they both wanted to go home. Yet Lucy seemed perfectly content with being around
David all day.

Trying to get off the horse proved harder than she had at first thought. She mentally kicked herself for not accepting help. Determined to get down alone however proved disastrous. June swung over well enough, but her foot caught in the stirrup and she fell back, hanging upside down from the horse. Startled at the unexperienced rider the horse reared and took off at a gallop. She managed not to get killed as she disappeared around a bend and out of site. Lucy and David’s stunned faces barely registering what had happened.

Instinct kicked in, unaware what she was doing she let the spells drop. Strength gathered like a swell after a damn was broken. With her new speed and agility she pushed off the ground and twisted up into the saddle once more. Her crazed horse had run to closely to the edge, when June made a quick thrust back of the reigns to stop, the mare and rider tumbled down the steep slope.

Everything was spinning, June’s head was spinning, her body being pounded on from all directions. With a sickening crunch and spray of water the pair landed in a creek bed. The horse lay unmoving atop her, water and mud sucked and swirled around her. Incredulous to the fact that she survived she didn’t notice the stunned expression of Luke and his horse a little down stream. The horse still hadn’t moved, with a roll of her stomach June knew that it was dead. Using one hand to prop herself up, she used the other to lift the horse up and off of her. Shock wore off and large tears welled up and splashed on the horse’s still body. Laying atop the unfortunate beast she sobbed until her reverie was broken by a crunch of twigs.

“Are you ok?” Luke’s voice was quiet. When June looked up at him he started and took a step backwards. “June?!” He asked with surprise.

“Yes of course” she responded bitterly. “Who else has such incredibly stupid luck.” Getting up she wiped her eyes and set to wiping the mud from her clothes.

“What happened?” He asked while still keeping his distance.

“I fell from the ridge,” she said hardly.

“...how?” he said under his breath.

Annoyed she finally looked him in the eyes. “How the hell what?” She snapped. Thankfully her new bones were stronger than steel so nothing was broken, but the experience still had left her worse for wear.

His countenance straightened but he didn’t speak, instead he raised a hand to his ears. Mimicking him, June’s hand touched the pointed tip of her ear.

“Damn it” she muttered.

--------------------------------------------
A/N::: So I never mentioned it and .... I honestly can't remember. There may, or may not, be an inconsistency with some names. So to clear the air now the following people are the SAME people:

David/Ferris : one of the knights who found them

Mia/Lucy: June's best friend

yeah, I stated writing this and then took a break- suddenly I had inspiration and I couldn't remember everyone's names.... so I kinda made new ones XD;; anyway- sometimes i cut and paste from various documents so if there is any other confusion let me know ^_^ (Although I think I got them all >_>;; )

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 AM

He opened his mouth but before he could say anything there was a shout from above. Looking up the hillside, June felt a wave of surprise. She had fallen nearly 50 yards down the cliff face. Noel had said elves were durable but she doubted that was a strong enough word.

“June!” Lucy’s voice wiped June’s mind. Carefully gathering back up her magic she lowered back over herself. She felt the changes of her body morphing back to her human appearance, Luke made another startled noise beside her but she ignore him. She would deal with him later, she didn’t have the energy to waste on him now.

Lucy and David arrived quickly by way of a path, to their side. Lucy jumped off her horse and threw her arms around June’s neck.

“Oh my god! June, I can’t believe you are ok!” Lucy exclaimed, pulling June out of the creek and away from the horse. She was crying prettily, her baby blues open in wide eyed earnest. She put June at arm’s length and surveyed her up and down. “You don’t even have cuts or bruises, it’s a miracle.” She hugged her friend again. June made a face, Noel had taught her how to give her human self bruises and cuts but she hadn’t thought it through when re-spelling her appearance.

“She fell off before the horse came over the edge,” Luke chimed in.

“Oh thank God,” Lucy sighed, pulling June in for another hug. June smiled thankfully at him, he only stared back.

Meanwhile, David had gone to her fallen steed. “She’s definitely gone. We’ll have to take what we need and leave the rest behind. Luke come help me.” He said authoritatively. As they tied the fallen horse to the others, so that they could drag her out of the riverbed, he continued his planning out loud. “Luke, you will give River over to the girls since he is the biggest horse. Then we will load up the packs with the extra food. When we get to the city we can send someone pack to retrieve the rest and bury the horse.” The horse was out of the bed, and Luke had rearranged the packs so that his horse could accommodate June and Lucy.

Before they left, June went to the horse and said a small prayer of apology.

“Ready?” Luke asked. She nodded. He put out a hand to seemingly helped her up but when she took it he pulled her in close and whispered. “Don’t think I don’t want answers.” She looked at him, his face was closed but not threatening. As she swung up onto the horse, there was a tightening in her chest. It was like a small timer had been set in her heart, the ticking roared in her ears. How quickly the best laid plans unraveled.

Chapter 3:

Three tall white towers that spiraled upwards into the clouds. Houses upon houses, it was a jumbled town almost chaotic, but it was clean. The city was unlike anything June and Lucy had seen. The white washed walls, brick everywhere and polished wood, the design so similar with what Victorian England, of their home planet, may have been like. Yet the city was far from old, the buildings with their fresh outward exterior, the white plumes of smoke from fire places and the friendly chattering of the marketplace, it was something of a fairy tale.

“June, this place is amazing.” Lucy whispered back at her. June snuggled up closer and set her chin Lucy’s shoulder. “It’s so magical here, it’s hard to believe we’re here. I never could imagined that such a place even existed.” She kept rambling on.

“I guess” was all June said. She couldn’t stop thinking about how the white hurt her eyes.

“This is our capital city of Veira,” David gestured out. He turned his horse back to smile at them. At Lucy, June thought amusingly. She had no doubt that he really liked her and June had never seen Lucy so infatuated. June felt a tingle of guilt, Lucy had a boyfriend, who June liked, but as far as June has seen, he was forgotten. Not that she could judge too much, she had only thought of her own boyfriend for a few times.

Her own boyfriend was a good guy, marriage material for sure, if she even
decided to go that route. She missed her family more, but every once in a while, when she was trying to sleep, she’d think of his arms around her and his eyes staring warmly at her. His deep brown eyes that smiled at her and brought sense to the world. He was the world she knew, when she was human and had a car.

Down the middle of this town, that did not make sense to her, they went. The bright walls that burned her eyes, the happy chatter of the people, everything was too staged. For a happy scene she sensed a dark energy beneath the surface. What was the saying? Everything was perfect, too perfect.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 AM

“On the far park bench you can see what makes our fair city so wondrous.” A tall slender tour guide in a rumpled lime jacket too big for him leaned in conspiratorially to his group. Several cameras clicked and flashed but mostly he was met with incredulous looks.

“The duck?” A particularly large and gelatinous man asked, his small beady eyes narrowing in suspicion. The tour guide’s eyes bulged from holding in laughter.

“No Steve!” A women elbowed the large man, her own eyes were wide with the shiny starstruck look. A look that the tour guide knew would soon spread. “The girl!” The women didn’t hide her excitement shouting and pointing to the lone girl on the park bench. There were some chuckles from city citizens who were near by.

The girl had been enjoying her day off by reading her favorite book and absentmindedly feeding the ducks the remainder of her lunch, but at the sound of the tourist she snapped her book closed and looked up. The tour guide took a step back, hesitant to stay under her glare any longer.

Steve, however, would not be quelled. “Why that girl? She ain’t nuthin pretty to look at.” There were several more laughs from various people within earshot.

“Oh dear,” the woman said shocked. “Honey you made her cry!”

“Well this part of the tour is over,” the tour guide shouted nervously. He began pushing people back the way they had come. “Ok folks now you ar-”

“-Stop.” The girl on the bench said quietly. She dragged her hands across her eyes, wiping away the tears and smearing her mascara into points at the corner of her eyes. She rose slowly and started walking towards the group, her deadly glare becoming more animalistic with her exaggerated eye line.

“Let’s keep walking guys!” The guide tried again to move people but they were too fascinated to lower their cameras. Jumping and emitting a high squeak, the tour guide panicked at the hand on his shoulder. The hand grabbed his shirt collar and twirled him around and down so that he and the girl were eye to eye.

“What is your problem?!” She hissed. There was a stifled cry of fear from one of the younger tourists.

“It’s ok everyone,” the guide tried a reassuring edge wise glance in their direction. Looking back at the the firecracker about to explode he dropped his voice to an earnest plea. “Calm down Cade, nothing personal.”

“Nothing personal.” She deadpanned back. She lifted her hand with the book and in a great arch smacked her brother upside the head. Ignoring the gasps and flashes of the tourists and she stalked off, still in a huff. Just as she was about to turn the corner, and be out of sight, she shouted back at him, “Leland, I’m telling mom!”

Leland laughed and rubbed the side of his head where the book edge and banged him. “Sorry about that folks. Just a little family fun.” He smiled winningly at the the crowd. “She skipped out on chores yesterday.” The crowd’s tension melted with laughter. “Seriously though, my sister is actually one of the many special individuals that make our city worthy of being called the capital.

“Here in the City of Bloom, we have the largest community of Keys on the continent. As some of you may have noticed my sister was wearing one of the lockets that marks members of Keys. Now who here knows what’s in the lockets they wear?” Leland started pulling them back towards their route towards the town square.

“Her Heart!” A small boy piped up.

“Correct!” He stopped in front of a large fountain. “Does any one know why they have their hearts in their lockets?” The group furrowed their brows collectively. “Well unlike when we are all children and our hearts can be apart from us for hours, Keys can only be apart for mere minutes. Therefore, each of their lockets has a special opening to keep it touching their skin.” The eyes of his group swiveled to the statue in the middle of the fountain where he was now pointing. “This handsome gentlemen immortalized in marble is, Dr. Vestus, the man who single handedly pioneered the new surgery that all of us undergo at the tender age of ten.” Leland walked a few steps clockwise around the fountain, his herd following closely to him and his every word. “Now it was also Dr. Vestus who discovered the potential of those people who we now call Keys. On his left coat you can see the three tiered symbol for unity that all Keys’ lockets are branded with. This is also the symbol that marks the contents of the new cure. Which as we all know our bodies are given during the surgery so that our hearts may integrate naturally back into our systems. Are there any questions so far?”

The large man stopped gnawing on a fried chicken wing, wiped his greasy mouth with the back of his hand and asked, “What happened to ‘em before this wiz kid was born?”

“Sadly all people underwent the surgery, before we understood that people could reject the first cure, and therefore unable to assimilate,” he paused for dramatic effect. The crowd leaned in waiting. “They all disintegrated into energy. Direct records of eye witness accounts say that it was as if they would melt away into the air around them winking out like stars.” There was a hush through the group. “Thankfully though we are long past those days. Now if you will just follow me into city hall there is a gift shop where our tour ends. It was nice sharing this day with all of you.” Leland led them up the polished white stairs of city hall and bowed at the doorway until the last drooling child and shutter happy tourist had disappeared amongst the many t-shirt racks.

Pulling a cigarette out of his shirt pocket he stuck it in his mouth and sucked on the end.

“Thought you were quitting?” Another young man in a lime tour jacket walked up to him.

“Did. Not lit.” Leland answered with a grin. “Hot damn Godwin, I got fifty chips in tips today lets celebrate with dinner!”

“Your treat then?” Godwin laughed.

“No way! Use your own tips,” Leland said as they started down the stairs. Leland ran his wiry fingers through his long brown hair, tugging out the elastic band that kept it back.

“Uh oh,” Godwin noted. “I know that look. What did you do now?”

“I saw Cade on our tour today and I might have,” Leland hesitated, sometimes he wasn’t sure if his friend was on the same page. “I might have pointed her out to my tour group.” Godwin loud burst of laughter was infectious. They laughed until both of them were in tears.

“Wow, I thought you would call me insensitive.” Leland commented.

“Hey man, that’d be the pot calling the kettle black.” Godwin started laughing again. “You’ll never guess who I saw on my tour as well.”

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-25-2010, 06:41 PM

“What is your home like?” David asked.

“Not this,” June said.

Lucy laughed, “Not like this at all.” She brought their horse to a stop, halting the party. “No horses in the city.”

“Except some police,” June added. The horse was pulled in a circle before she started plodding along again.

“The buildings are taller.”

“Much taller.”

“The trees are more staged, city planners tell where to put them after all.”

“Even in parks.”

“More people arguing. Horns honking in traffic. Someone always shouting out the window their car.”

“Or pedestrians shouting at cars that almost clipped them.”

“What are cars?” David asked.

“We’re here,” Luke interjected.

June glanced at the house the stopped in front of. It looked just like all the other houses, except for a pair of set of stained glass windows on the second floor.

“Where’s here?” June asked as Luke helped her and Lucy down from his horse.

“This is our house. As knights we are allowed to live outside the castle and barracks.” David answered. “Let us say, before we go in, that we weren’t expecting guests such as you.” He smiled.

“Who were you expecting?” Lucy asked innocently. June didn’t think much of the question until David and Luke seemed to have a conversation through stern eye contact. They shook off quickly and David plastered on his smile.

“No one in particular, just not girls who we need to impress.” June wasn’t sure it was just her new super elven eyesight that made David look like he was blushing.

“You want to impress me?” Lucy smiled stupidly, getting red all the way to the tips of her ears.

“Uh- no! Not really-I mean of course but...” David floundered for words.

“He means that he’s embarrassed that he couldn’t dust and pick up his dirty laundry before girls came over.” Luke swooped in and saved. June laughed softly as David nodded along, his blush easily apparent now.

June’s laughter stopped, the ground seemed to pitch out from underneath her. An arm grabbed and steadied her, but her heart was still doing flip flops.

“I feel sick,” she murmured. There was some bustle around her and she was half-led half-carried to a bedroom upstairs.

“Ju-ju-bee?” Lucy cooed crouching at the foot of June’s chair. “Can I get you anything?” June shook her head no, she had a feeling that being alone would suffice. Lucy hugged her briefly then headed to the door. “I’m going down stairs. I’ll check on you later just sleep.” There was a faint creaking noise as the door was closed slowly behind her.

Carefully June crawled her way to the door and moved a latch. That better be locked, she thought tiredly. Then with a refreshing release she de-spelled herself. Getting to her feet she carried the spells to the bed and made herself comfortable.

Noel had impressed on her that certain spells could be reused unconsciously, so it was best never to leave a spell tangled up when you were done. Not unless you knew it was discarded permanently. How hurriedly she had put the spells on early had tangled it into a frustrating mess. Most likely the cause of her sudden dizziness, she spent the better part of an hour working until at last it lay out in front of her like a weird sparkly blanket. With a wave of her hand it disappeared, and she lay back into the pillows.

Her enhanced ears could still hear the chatter outside, through the closed stained glass window: bargaining, laughing and shouting. There was a faint murmur coming from downstairs, but she didn’t feel like listening just yet. A little recuperation then she would be hitting the streets, the library and anywhere else she could think to find answers. This place wasn’t too bad, except for her new found bad luck for injury and misfortune, but it wasn’t home. She wished her mom was there to hold her and tell her everything would be alright. Tears stung her eyes, concentrating she pushed everything back inside.

Unable to sleep she finally surrendered to a new familial obligation, writing Noel a letter. He wanted updates constantly, but he had no choice but to settle with her noncommittal concession of: when she remembered. Going to the desk in the corner she borrowed a cut sheet of paper and shuffled in the drawers for a pen. Ball point was, it seemed, too much to ask for, but what she did find was worth the invasion of privacy.

Leather bound and wrapped with some kind of twine, she hurriedly unwrapped it. Success! she thought greedily. Whatever scruples she may have had at looking at someone else’s diary were gone. She flipped to the end, no matter whose journal this was she needed to know more. It had been bugging her that their two rescuers had been there right when they had been. Noel had told her that to see two knights of their status was rare in that parts. So really, what were the chances?

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-08-2010, 09:43 PM

They had never been forthcoming with information either, unless you asked a question directly, and not all the time, would you get any information out of them. She had to know what they knew, before the inevitable clash between her and Luke happened.

Nothing useful at first, talk about family, work and friends. Getting to the last page she almost tossed it aside, before remembering that it was someone else’s. She hadn’t even figured out whose it was, so she dove back in for another try, slower this time. There was a name, this was Luke’s. He had a sister, he was friends with the prince of the nation, stuff about his worry about the war with their neighboring country. There was a little mention about his religion, or what she assumed, it was a lot of history on a super power being, like a god. Without context, namely Luke’s insight, the journal proved useless to her. Wrapping it back up like how she found it she retreated back to the bed. She’d just gotten comfortable when there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” she replied. Seeing who it was she dropped what spells she had started.

“I brought you dinner,” Luke called. June braced herself as he shuffled in and closed the door. He brought a tray over to her, a bowl of stew, a slice of bread and a mug of water.

“Thanks.” Was all she said. She took a bite, the tender meat was delicious. Noel said that she would find meat much tastier than before, something about increased desire for iron and protein, but this bite was downright heavenly. The only thing ruining her appetite was Luke’s stare.

Luke hadn’t moved from her bedside once he’d set the tray down. “My compliments to the chef.” She said taking a sip of water. June kept her eyes on her food while she ate, but she could feel his eyes boring holes into her.

Exasperated she turned on him. “What?”

“No explanation? You aren’t going to say anything?” He finally sat down, on the edge of her bed. Dropping the comfort level further than she thought it could go. “You’re just going to sit there... looking like that. No pretense at all.”

“Well what do you want me to say?” June decided this was the perfect time to learn something. “You answer one of my questions and I’ll answer one of yours.”

Luke thought for a moment, then agreed, reluctantly. Now that she had her way June tried think of what she wanted to know first, but there were too many questions, her head felt overcrowded. Plucking one at random she stared.

“Who are you?” She asked. He gave her a funny look.

“That’s your question? You already know the answer.” Staring him down he answered stiffly. “My name is Luke Ketlieven and I am a knight for the kingdom of Verala.” She took a bite, nothing exciting and it confirmed what she had read in the diary. His turn.

“What are you?” He asked.

“That’s a rude way of asking. Not even a ‘who’?” She frowned. Of course he would start with that question.

“Well when we found you, you looked human. Lucy thinks you are human. Yet here you are... not human. So what are you really? Just playing with a bunch of humans, going to go back to your hive and yuck it up with other demons about how you messed with a bunch of simple folk? If Dr. Noel found out you were impersonating he would have maimed you.” His eyes flashed dangerously which only ignited June’s anger.

“Excuse me?!” She sat up straight and looked him in the eye. “I am human!” She faltered as her insides turned to ice. “I ...was human when you met me, then the healing changed me. It’s not my fault! I am not playing with Lucy she is my best friend in the whole world... worlds. I don’t even know any demons.” She added acidly.

“So what are you then?” He said quietly.

“Elven... I guess,” she admitted.

“How can you be so old to have the healing affect you in this way? I’ve never heard of it happening before, backwoods children maybe, but not adults.” He brought a leg up onto the bed to be more comfortable. This conversation was in for the long hall.

“No way,” June smirked. “My turn.” She thought again but there were still too many questions. “Why were guys out in the woods? I mean, why were you there, when we happened to be there. The chances are too slim to be coincidental.” She felt a little smug at his uncomfortable face, she couldn’t be the only one feeling edgy. His body language also revealed exactly what she had been hypothesizing the entire time, it hadn’t been a coincidence at all.

-------------------------------------------------
Alright this is a little late but this story "The Other" is actually the SAME universe as Kingdom in Peril! Nothing more can be said that would give away some stuff but you will see some things connecting.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 AM

“We were told to be there,” he said finally.

“Why?” she asked annoyed.

“Only one question.” He reminded her.

“That’s not fair. That was hardly an answer.”

“Answer mine and I’ll answer yours.”

There was a moment of stubborn silence between them. It stretched on and on, neither wanted to relent. They both sat there until at last the sun shone through the colored glass. A shade of blue fell over June’s face, reminding her of the shiny new dress she had bought of her cousins wedding next summer.

“We aren’t from here.” She said quietly. Running her fingers through her hair she sighed. “We aren’t from this city, kingdom or even world. I have no idea where we are, but we aren’t from here.”

“That’s why we were there. It had been seen by our courts mystics that something powerful from another world would be there and we were ordered to retrieve it.”

“There was nothing there, except us.” June said slowly.

“Except you,” Luke mimicked pointedly.

“What are you saying something about us?” June was incredulous.

“Well since you aren’t human it can’t be you.” He said half to her and half to himself. “The prophecy mentioned a mortal and although technically it could mean an elf, it usually doesn’t in regards to legends.”

“Great,” June said a little too bitterly.

“Sorry,” he said looking at her his face filled with mixed emotions.

The silence was more pensive this time. June wondered what kind of reason would make Lucy that sought after. She had always been above average but still far from being celebrity status in any way. The big question however, was what June was in this big mess.

“Who’s turn is it?” June finally asked.

“You can go,” Luke offered quietly.

“Do you know what brought us there? So that we can get home.” she asked.

“You want to go home?” Luke looked at her with a stern confusion.

“Obviously. It is my home,” she replied stiffly. “Its where my family friends, school and life are. I was supposed to start an internship next spring. I worked hard for that.” Now that she started she couldn’t stop. All the things she had been missing, that she would miss, poured out of her. “No grande mocha frap with extra whip cream and caramel inside. No waiting all night in the cold, huddling under blankets for midnight premiers.” Large tears rand down her cheeks like fire. “Never having my mom’s thanksgiving stuffing or helping her make the mashed potatoes. Never giving my little brothers the presents that I pre-ordered back in July for them. Not being able to stop my dad from giving my boyfriend a hard time. No more dates, or dinners, or holidays at all!” She broke off into hysterical sobs. Luke was alarmed at first, but then gently he sat beside her and pulled her into a hug. He let her cry everything out for a bit.

“I have one more question for you.” He said seriously.

“What,” she said exasperated.

“What’s a grande mocha frap?” She looked up into his puzzled eyes and choked on a laugh and a sob.

“A drink.” She answered shakily.

“Well I can’t see it being any better than a drink we have here. Lucky for you I know a guy, who knows a guy, so the whip cream and caramel are a go.” He laughed and all her tension seemed to melt away. “You know, I know that your family isn’t here, but you’re not alone and the food isn’t half bad. I promise that we will have a great big dinner when you finally feel well, I hear elves like meat, and our country is known for having obscene amount of holidays so I’m sure we will find one you can love.” Looking down at her he realized that she had fallen asleep. Laying her back on the bed he pulled the blankets up around her. He hesitated a second, then brushed her hair aside and kissed her forehead. “I’m sorry.” Suddenly aware of what he did he pulled back quickly, there was a pull that came from deep inside. It sickened him.

Getting up he collected the dirty dishes and drew the curtain across the window. Closing the door quietly behind him he shuffled downstairs. He heard David talking to Lucy but when he entered the room they were silent. Raising an eyebrow he continued into the kitchen. There was a hushed conversation before Lucy abruptly got up and followed him.

“How is she?” She asked.

“She’s exhausted. She fell asleep while we were talking.” Dumping the dishes into the sink he rolled up his sleeves and started scrubbing. Looking up he realized that Lucy was still standing there, staring at him. “Did you need anything?” He asked politely.

“No,” Lucy replied. She swayed as if leaving but then moved inwards towards him. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course,” Luke responded. Dishes finished he grabbed a role for himself and bite into waiting. He noticed that the girls were similar in their long pauses.

“Do you think June is alright?” He hadn’t been expecting anything but this was certainly not the question he would have guessed. She had almost seemed secretive a moment ago.

“I think she is tired,” he answered.

“That’s not what I mean,” Lucy scrunched her nose with irritation. “I mean alright with this place and being here. I’m sure you have guessed that we don’t know the area and I know she wants to go home...” Lucy trailed off.

“Don’t you want to go home?”

“Of course, except its different with June. Her life back home was incredible, she has a lot to miss.”

“And what about you?” he asked.

“Its not the same. Do you know how big June’s family is? There are eight of them and that’s only her brothers and sisters. My parents passed away five years ago I didn’t have anyone else.” She sniffled a small tear fell upon her cheek. All uncomfortable feelings had been displaced by June, he didn’t bother to hesitate to wrap an arm around Lucy. He couldn’t help noticing that June smelled different, he wasn’t sure if it was a good smell however, or even human.

“Do you want to know a secret?” Lucy asked. Luke wasn’t sure how to answer, but Lucy didn’t even wait for a response before telling. “June’s boyfriend was going to propose this Christmas.”

“What’s Christmas?” Luke asked swallowing the lump in his throat.

“A winter holiday,” she thought for a moment. “I think it’s in a month.” Lucy pulled away to look straight at him. “Propose! He’s a great guy and he likes her so much. I don’t have that.” She threw her arms around him crying again. He was starting to feel a little uncomfortable now. “I just feel so lonely all the time.” He didn’t know what words would make her feel better so he figured a distraction would work just as well.

“It’s ok Lucy you don’t have to be alone now. We are here for you.” Guiding her over to a chair he sat her down. “You try to smile and I will warm you up some cider.” Finally detached he moved to the stove. He wondered where David had gotten to and why had it had to have been him to be there for both of the girl’s breakdowns. He had several sisters, so in a way he was used to it, but it didn’t make him feel any better about himself, being a magnet for weepy girls and all.

After she managed to finish the cider Mia said goodnight and disappeared to her room upstairs. Luke figured he would finally be able to get to bed himself when his best friend stumbled in. He wondered to himself if he should start charging by the hour.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 AM

My mask is a shimmering blue color that mimics the way sunlight dances on the waves of the sea or at least, what I remember of the ocean. I only saw it once, when I was very young and still had my parents, before the fires and the scars. Before I started living on the streets and living in the nooks and crannies of the city. Before I put on my mask and became the star-eating ghost, Poppi.

As is my custom every dawn, I stand in front of the mirror and turn my head slowly side to side. Wary of any trace of the hideous scars underneath my adorned face. For most months of the year I hunt only at night therefore I can pay less attention to the fittings on my mask, but during the solstice festivals when the city is swarmed and overtaken by the celebrations I find my prey at all times of the day. The solstice festivals are my least favorite times of year. While it is nice to have a bigger selection of trophies, months of night make full daylight unbearable. Not to mention that the waves of tourists bring their own star-eaters, many of whom don't know to stay out of my way.

When my mask is perfectly fitted to hide all of my scars I shake out the dust on my velvet cloak and hood and swing it over my shoulders to hide the rest of me. It’s heavy for the warm winter we are having, but if I stay out past the moon rising I will be glad for the extra warmth. It’s richness and length also aided me in hiding my ratty breeches and fitted shirt, an illusion of wealth, but also protection from the crimes of my clothing choices. Young women should only wear dresses, gowns and skirts, even the harlots obeyed this restricting social decorum, but after I fell off my first roof because of tripping up on a skirt, I swore that breeches were the obvious choice. I had one gown, a delicate and light beauty that matched my mask. When I’d seen it all those years ago I held no guilt over pinching it from some tourist debutante. Sometimes I gobbled big stars like that when I was bored of just pinching the small stuff from pockets.

My stomach was rumbling by the time I climbed the stairs down the backside of the building I was living atop. As long as I kept quiet and mended their roof time to time, no one was the wiser. Unlike a lot of the other star-eaters in the city, I didn’t live in the lower end. While my morals would have fit right in, even amidst the dirt and scum of the city I was shunned for the twistedness of my scarred skin. Not that many even remember the burned child from ten years ago or even suspected that the ghost they call Poppi was the same person. I’d become a ghost first, hiding away for several years so by the time my masked persona started wandering the streets I’d stretched from the plump six year old into the lean mysterious ten year old.

Too keep up my mysterious persona I always left the city from the west end and circled through the woods to enter on the south in, the gateway into the lower end. Making an entrance was important, even if I didn’t do much but walk tall and with purpose. Equally important was disappearing in the night. Other star-eaters have been curious and tried to tail me, but I knew where the darkness of the city could swallow me alive and then where it would spit me back out.

Last edited by Tsubasa Rose; 04-13-2013 at 03:11 AM..

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 AM

As I walked through the market those that knew me averted their gaze humbly. I encouraged their fear over the years and accepted payment for my protection of their pitifully pathetic lives. Unfortunately, most of my money was spent holding up my end of the deal, usually in the form of bribes. Of course it mattered little that I had gold on my person because to the street people my name was gold. Anyone of higher station, those that avoided lower end, had no inkling of the power I held over their lives. The middle class tended to bore me with their mundane living so I ignored them as much as possible. They were never too evil nor too good so I paid them as little heed as they did of me. It was different for the upper class, of course. Though none of them knew my face nor my name they were my prey and had transferred their fear of me into a fear of the darkness.

While I hunted for the stars that were the most valuable I also looted for the most precious. Years of darkness and bitter resentment and polluted my soul. I knew what I did was wrong, I could comprehend the pain that I caused others, but I didn’t care. Life had become a lean grey area of what it took to survive and each victim was paying for those that had punished and hurt me. I would snatch away a beloved pocket watch from a beloved deceased grandfather and enjoy hiding in the shadows to watch as depressed realization set in on their faces. The fear brought on by intimidation had been the first feeling devoured by my hunger for life, they could curse me all they liked, but I would never bow or be beaten. Each shiny glittering star in a person’s life was fair game to me in my night and every night was mine.

The other star eaters thieved with such foolishness that it seemed I rarely saw one beyond a handful of times before I finally saw them hang at the gallows. Every face I had ever seen was imprinted in my memories, I remembered them all, poor and rich alike, but to them I was little more than a whisper. As I walked through the morning plaza, I blended in too well with the solstice visitors, few even knew to look twice and even then only half as many dared.

Eating was a chore, if I ate too much then I become clumsy on the fragile roof top tiles, too little and I collapsed with weakness, but as I walked my stomach clenched a heavy reminder that I had again let myself starve too long. It took control to not take my “fortune” and fall to gluttony, thankfully I know had years of practice. Through the gaps in the crowd I saw a group of ridiculously overdressed (for mid-morning on a weekday- they must be travelers) gaudy girls heading towards me. Lowering my head I slowed my pace and let them run into me, reaching out as if to steady myself I lifted a few coins with my left hand (from a girl in hot pink) and a gold broach (from a girl in shimmery gold) with my right. Of the four, one half apologized (neither of the two I had grabbed from) the remaining three kept going as if I were little more than air. The familiar anger ignited in my chest.

I stopped in the throngs of people and took note of them: their dress, their speech and the direction they were walking. Beneath my mask a smile twisted up at the corners of my mouth. Little did they know that I would be visiting them again very soon. Their extra hard pronunciation of D’s and M’s pegged them as Northern visitors. Any northerner with money to boast stayed at one of two hotels, fortunately for me they hotels were across the street from each other and had some of the worst security.

My stomach twisted again to get my attention. Continuing my pace I looped around the plaza until I ducked into an alley to the west. A couple of shops in I found Madame Zulla’s Bakery. She’d been one of the first victims, although she never knew it. After beating me away with a broom days after my accident, I had come back in the dead of night and burned her shop to the ground. While vengeance had been my goal, I had been surprised to see that moving from the high district shops to lower end had bettered her with humbling of her attitude. I had seen the change a little fire and dishonesty could do someone, before I had even understood the same transformation would happen in me. I never felt a moment of guilt over my actions, but I did feel a feeling of gratitude for the twisted way she had given me hope. Now instead of beating away the child with a scabbed face, she paid homage to the masked phantom who graced her with her patronage. For this change I paid her well and protected her new shop from a similar fate as the first.

“Milady, would you like a coffee with your breakfast this morning?” The patrons who had been in the shop quieted a few took noticeable steps back. There were only a couple of strangers who looked at me with curiosity and a bit of sympathetic fear from the crowd. I nodded once and moved to the back corner table. Waiting for only a moment before she served me coffee and a warm honey bread. The feeling of excitement for the night’s hunt hummed in my veins giving me a bigger than normal sense of generosity. I handed her the coins and the broach. “Thank you, milady.” Her eyes widened with hunger at the shimmering broach, I immediately regretted the kindness. The Madame had a profitable business, the greed at the hunk of gold sickened me. I may have to visit her tonight and break some of her glass windows. Then at least I knew the gold would be used properly and not hoarded.

Last edited by Tsubasa Rose; 04-13-2013 at 03:58 AM..