Konami-tan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 AM

((Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, if it is, please move it))

As an aspiring writer, I someties find reviews annoying. I adore constructive criticism, but plain stupid reviews bother me.
What are the things you hate to see in reviews?

I personally hate it when people think that just because I'm a teenager and I write about teenagers, it's totally based in a "better" version of my life. That's bullcrap.
And I hate it when people just review with "I don't get it" or something, specially with short, simple texts. Ugh.

Leilanie
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

I hate it when people review my work and only say "It could be better than this." And then, when I ask how, they are "You're the writer, figure it out yourself!".

This pushes my buttons... I also hate it when people say that my writing style is wrong. I mean, I'm a different person from who they are, so shouldn't that mean that I have my own style? I try to write correctly and understandable, but I also like to mix metaphors and what-not...

I guess I got on a rant now... :sweat: hehe, sorry? But yes, those are some of the things that I hate.

waterblossomsam

Old 10-03-2009, 06:00 AM

I hate when people tell you your work "needs improvement" but when you ask them what it needs improvement on they basically give you a "blah blah" answer.

I also hate it when they complain because you a different writing style than they are use to then they turn around and write a story like ...
they went to the park then ate ice cream then went home then went to bed....
it really isn't all that wonderful but yet they criticize someone who's work is accually worth reading.

Bleak Banter
The almighty useless one

Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 AM

The comments I hate are the only kind I seem to get anymore:

"OH MY GOD THIS IS SO GOOD WRITE MORE I LOVE YOU KEEP GOING I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT CHAPTER EEEEEEEE!"

-.-
Compliments. Constant compliments with no critiquing whatsoever. I don't care if you think I write fantastically. Maybe I am the great writer everybody says I am. Even if I am, there's still room for improvement! I want to get better, not feel good about myself! I know I'm not perfect, so stop pretending for the sake of my feelings.

I also hate when people say something bothers them that I did deliberately to capture a certain emotion. Still, at least they're admitting something bothered them and telling me what.
-glares at people full of only compliments-

Hayzel
[MiniMee]
Send a message via AIM to Hayzel Send a message via MSN to Hayzel

Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 PM

I hate it when people just put "Love it" or "Hate it" on the posts. Why bother typing two words into a box and posting it so the writer can waste two minutes of their lives reading it and fuming?

Briar Rose
Professional Procrastinator
Send a message via MSN to Briar Rose

Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 PM

The things I hate are when people post something like "You should fix ____" but don't tell you if it's missing something, or there's too much there...I like specific constructive critisim.

I agree with Banter, I hate those "OMG KEEP WRITING" comments, especially when I'm asking for critiques xD

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Very rarely do comments bother me. The only thing I don't care for is when people say something is wrong and don't say exactly what it is.
Oh and the "I don't like reading". I saw that comment once. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or be annoyed. =\

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 AM

owo It bothers me when its slightly obvious that the person didn't read your story. They just posted "K GOOD KEEP GOING" for the gold. >>;

Aaawhyme
The Almighty One: Pekoe!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM

Ohhh mah gawd. My least favorite type of comments is when you go to so much work to write it just so and then some dope comes a long and gives you a comment.

Okay, so you get a comment and in your e-mail you see a notification and your like, 'omg, someone posted a comment on that epic story I wrote! I wonder what they said!'
So you take a look at the comment it says...

'col storey, bro'.

-___- It gets very disappointing.

Kasene Teto
Still trying not to mess up OTL"

Old 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM

All comments are ok really, some might bug me if there a bit mean. But if someone is down right being a jerkface for no reason, well, then I ask a mod to kick there buts off my thread ;)

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-14-2009, 03:51 PM

I just hate it when people flame you, but don't explain any of their reasoning (which makes the review a flame). If you're going to say "I think this is crap" tell me why. If you're going to say "I don't think this chapter is as strong" tell me why you think so. Even if you don't know exactly why saying something around the lines of "the feel was just off" or "it seemed a little rushed" gives me an idea of what put you off of the chapter so I can sit down and constructively look at it from that point of view.

I'm used to getting harsh crits, I went to art school. Haha. But I think most people in general are just afraid to speak up and say what they didn't like about something (people only see my fanfics, I keep all my original stuff to myself at the moment. As I get things more developed and written then those things will start being shown to those I trust (so my idea's won't get stolen) and I know will give me good, constructive feedback). And many of those (but not all in the fanfiction world) who do speak up about what they think is wrong just don't know how to word themselves properly or don't explain things properly and come off as flamers. And flames in my opinion are to be taken with a grain of salt because flames are innately just mean and meant to just "stab" the person receiving it. Constructive criticisms however, while it can be harsh, is never meant to be ill hearted. It's just meant to help you get better

Mizayo
The Embodiment of Geekiness

Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 AM

I don't like it when you show someone your story, all confident, and after they read it, they laugh and say "you'll never get anywhere with this junk, kid." I don't want them to lie 'bout it, but come on! And I don't even think some read it, just pretended to and said they hated it just because I'm thirteen! I've heard of eight-year-old proffesionals!
And you know what I dislike the most? When they pretend to like it, crumple the paper, and throw it over their shoulder! I just cannot beleive some of these people's selfishness.

Not all are bad, though. There are alot of encouraging commenters in the world.

Ponta
One is never too early to monolo...

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 AM

Usually when I get comments that say, "I don't like reading" or "this is too long" (mind you, this is not in proper grammar), I often get ticked off. Why bother coming to a forum, specifically a writing forum, if you don't want to read? More so, if it's too long then why bother stating this fact?

That's really my only pet peeve - other than out right rudeness which I've yet to encounter myself but have seen happen to dozens of other people. Being rude doesn't help - sure, a person's writing may need some serious improvement but telling them just to give it up and is uncalled for.

Aeronaut
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Aeronaut

Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM

Things like "OMG THIS IS AWESOME. UPDATE SOON!111"

Y'know?

I agree with Bleak Banter on this. I tend to get a lot of "It great! Write more!" kind of compliments, even from teachers and it gets annoying. Okay, so maybe I'm a good writer. That's great, thank you, but please, there must be something I can improve on. I know I have lousy punctuation. I abuse the comma and only have a vague idea of how to use semi-colons and dashes.

I only seem to get those type of comments nowadays too. I'm at the point where I want people to rip apart my work. I don't care about my own feelings, I want constructive criticism.

mwahhaha
Jesus is super rad

Old 10-23-2009, 03:24 AM

I once posted a story and got something like this: "Well, I can tell from your punctuation that you're American. Is this what it's like over there?"

o.O How about commenting on the story, thank you very much.

Anyways, I also hate comments that are too generic.

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM

I haven't posted a lot of work here, but I've posted poems and song lyrics on dA. When I get comments at all, they're usually, "This is great!" And I'm all "Hey, thanks, smiley face!" When I'm really thinking, "WHY is it great? Is it really great? Are you just saying that to avoid hurting my feelings or something?"

Because really, I'd prefer a blunt, constructive criticism over a gushing, sugar-coated comment... I haven't posted many poems on here, though. Or story things or anything. Should I? I'm kind of afraid of the less-kind hearted of Menewshans going all, "Cool. I can use this for my English homework" and swiping it or something.

Acradius
Armchair Time Travel Theorist

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 AM

I'll echo the sentiments about unspecific reviews. I'm just starting to write fan fiction, so I'll add this one: people who complain about using original characters instead of stock ones. To me, that's just like saying "The only person who is allowed to be really creative with this theme and setting is the original author, everyone else can take a long walk off a short pier." And if that's the case, why not just re-read the original work again?

*Goes into crotchety-old-man-mode and sprays his garden hose at fanboys on his lawn*

Cursed
Silly like Jilly on pilly
Send a message via MSN to Cursed

Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaawhyme View Post
Ohhh mah gawd. My least favorite type of comments is when you go to so much work to write it just so and then some dope comes a long and gives you a comment.

Okay, so you get a comment and in your e-mail you see a notification and your like, 'omg, someone posted a comment on that epic story I wrote! I wonder what they said!'
So you take a look at the comment it says...

'col storey, bro'.

-___- It gets very disappointing.
LMFAO. I'm sorry to say, but you just got trolled.

Talentless_Muse
Ore hero da!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM

I haven't posted anything here, but on ff.net one of the things I dislike most isn't the comments so much as I see how many hits I'm getting and how many people are adding me to their favorites and alerts lists without giving any amount of feedback.

Getting absolutely nothing is, I think, the worst.

Azilianna
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 AM

Only ccomment:
"FIRST POST"

.___.
Jeez. That was less than unhelpful. At least with "OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!" you feel like you they perhaps READ it. This is just like... Oley Sheet Man.

BeLLphegor
Mentally Unstable Insanity

Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 AM

i have just started this website. so ive only posted one story on here.. but on other sites i have posted plenty.And if anyone knows me, I always ask for reviews and love it when people think about what could be improved. getting people to coment stating their ideas is oh so fun. but when i get a comment like " this is the shiz!" or
"good/bad" or just one worded comments in general tempt to push my buttons. if you like it. Tell me why you like it! and vice versa.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless_Muse View Post
I haven't posted anything here, but on ff.net one of the things I dislike most isn't the comments so much as I see how many hits I'm getting and how many people are adding me to their favorites and alerts lists without giving any amount of feedback.

Getting absolutely nothing is, I think, the worst.
I totally agree. Like every update I make I get at least 8 new followers, but out of those new followers only one or two at the most comment. I mean, seriously, if you like it enough to favorite the story and the author at least leave some feedback. You can leave a fairly good comment in like two-five minutes depending on how indepth you want to get. In fact most of the comments people generally leave you on ff.net look like the took thirty seconds to write because they're only a sentence or two long.

fridayd5
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2009, 03:40 AM

I'd rather hear, "It needs a little more work." than, "Oh, it's great!! I love it!!"
First question, why? Second question, why?
Work: "It needs a little more work on the conflict." (( Oh thanks!! I work on that!! ))
Great: " It's good because... Uh.... You know... Uh.... It's just, great!!!" (( Oh wow, okay...)) <---- You aren't Tony the Tiger you know!!! D:<

LadyKnightSkye
Now the Mule of Kin-Akari

Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 AM

You know, I don't mind if a review doesn't have much constructive criticism to it, as long as there is some indicator that what I wrote made the reader think about something, anything.

Like for example, on FF.Net I have a reviewer who doesn't really post crits as much as "Hey, this reminds me of this event that happened here in the UK Marvel Transformers comics." I like that. I have others who do give me constructive crit and/or tell me why they liked it, but there are a few who give me pretty much one liners.

However, there is one comment that I got on a story that shall forever more live in infamy. Someone told me I needed to "plan this story better" when I explained that a light bulb had gone off and that I was changing the direction of the story. However, this reviewer's comment was one huge run on sentance with bad grammer and worse punctuation. I'm fine with txt-speak, but it irks the hell out of me when people don't at least use punctuation. I had to read the review twice before I could understand what was being said.

As for the silent watchers thing, I also don't mind as much. If they have nothing they'd like to say, I'd rather they not review me instead of all of them giving me "Loved it!". I like compliments as much as the next person, but that many would make me feel like everyone is trying to shove sunshine up a place where it isn't supposed to shine.

robinhoodfan13
Robinhoodfan13

Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 PM

i must agree compliments only do get annoying it's like you just want to yell " I KNOW I DID SOMETHING WRONG NOW TELL ME SO I CAN FIX IT AND IF YOU CAN'T FIND SOMETHING MAKE IT UP!" ugh i'm beginning to hate HATE compliments

hey LadyKnightSkye you write on FanFic? cool me too

Last edited by fiarra; 11-13-2009 at 06:21 AM..