Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:26 AM

Hello all! I started this novel for National Novel Writing Month. But I didn't finish. So I'm going to keep working one it, drawing the peices together and tying it up.

Critique, comments, suggestions and such are welcome, but I'd prefer if you'd keep it on voice, story and those sort of things for now. Grammer and technical things are less important in this first draft. I assure you, I know how to punctuate. I just need to get my thoughts out first. I'm not actually going back to edit until I get to the very end.

So here it is: Narrative, by Alfred Pennyworth the Second.

----------------------------

A man and a woman stand in an empty plain.
“The world is dark here.” Says Fish.
“No lights.” Says Em.
They stare at the horizon. It is very dark. They can’t see one another. You can’t see them. It doesn’t matter though.
“When faced with a pointless decision, the choice is arbitrary.”
“More riddles, Fish. What a waste of good time.”
“The sun rises here as with everywhere else.”
The sun rose there. As with everywhere else. With the same gray-toned pinks and purple-toned oranges. They catch in the eyes of the two wanderers.
“Wanderers of life-story, wanderers of false-story.” Says the woman. Em kicks a stone. It is the only loose stone on the plain. The ground is smooth clay pounded down by the weather. He sings a song to himself. Fish hears, but doesn’t say anything. They stand for some time.
A single cotton ball of a cloud drifts across the sky. They watch its shadow crawl across the earth. It crosses the sun and they are cast into a spotlight of darkness for a moment. Em curls up on the ground and shuts his eyes. The sun is high. Fish takes off her boots and massages her feet. Her socks are blue. She moves like a scarecrow, gingerly. With long knitting needle arms and legs.
“This world-plain does not offer itself to us. This long road is not the rolling sweet way that was meant for us.” Says Fish. Em rolls over and pulls his arms over his head. Soon Fish lies on the ground too. Some ways away from Em. They are both asleep. The sun reaches its apex and falls back to the horizon. It is dusk when they wake.
Fish wakes first. She draws in the dust with one long finger. She draws what she sees. She sees a bare horizon. It is a very boring drawing.
Em wakes some time later. He is not well rested.
“Haven’t we been here?” he asks.
“We haven’t left,” Fish draws another landscape on the ground. Em scoots closer and looks it over.
“It is looking good. Looks just like it I think,” he says. She nods, erases it and starts again. It doesn’t take long before she has another line.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 AM

“Mmm,” says the man “, I really like the way that one turned out.”
Fish smiles a little “, Can you read?”
“No. Yes. Maybe. How about you?”
She doesn’t know either.
“Do you think those two have—” he starts.
“No.”
“Really? I’d think getting a—”
“They won’t.”
“I’d think that would be incentive—”
“It’s not,” says Fish.
“Then how—”
“With rope.”
“No rope—”
“None.”
“That settles it.”
They sit in silence.
“Same and same again,” says Fish. She hums and starts singing “,Spoooooooooool!” She adjusts her hat “, noun.”
“Life,” says Em.
“Spooooooool life,” she sings “, verb.”
“Rolls.”
“Spool life roll build web thick strong,” she sings “,verb.”
“Find.”
“Spool life roll build web thick strong. Find this way make sweet breath long.”
“Sweet breath, eh?” says Em.
“Yes,” says Fish.
“I can think of many sweeter things,” he says looking at Fish.
“Small candy tastebright and feel syupy coats tongue,” says Fish. Em shrugs and smiles. Fish scoots away from him.
“Possibly…” he starts.
“No, that’s them.”
“They never make it anyway. It would be different.”
“No that’s their way always,” she says.
“If it were done once, the right way…”
“They are ending, we begin and end,” Fish says shaking her head.
“How?”
“How begin? How end?”
“End.”
“No.”
They are both thinking.
“Are we?” asks Fish.
“What?”
“Different?”
“Who?”
“Are we different?”
“You should finish your thoughts when you say things, Fish. It’s hard to understand,” says Em.
“You understand.”
“That’s news.”
“You have news?”
“No!” he puts his hand to his forehead. Fish arranges her hat.
“How about we—” Em starts.
“No.”
“They knew what they were arguing about at least.”
“Did they?”
“Yes… no… maybe. Why won’t—”
“Sing the same song you will, same notes will you hear back,” Fish crosses her arms. Em hums. Fish hums harmony.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 AM

''Noun,'' says Em.
''Frost,'' offers Fish.
''Verb.''
''Fly.''
''Adverb.''
''Tiredsoft.''
''What?''
''Tiredsoft! Frost flies tiredsoft!'' Fish motions flying with her arms.
''Alright, alright,'' Em still doesn’t think it’s an adverb.
''Adjective.''
''Clayfoot.''
''That’s a—''
''Describing word.''
''Fine, '' Em gives in. He sings. The melody wanders. So does the story. Fish pulls out a penny whistle and harmonizes.
''Frost flies overhead,
Clayfooted travelers walk tiredsoft under,
They march far from beds,
While storm gathers we hear thunder.

And far away someone paints,
A story on her barn door,
They think they are what they ain’t,
While searching for more and more.''

They sing the first half through together again, ending on a big note.
''How about that one?'' says Em. Fish shakes her head.
''We couldn’t do that before—''
''Before nothing. Here nothing,'' says Fish
''Then why don’t we—''
''No.''
''There’s someplace better.''
''How do you know?''
''You noticed they haven’t followed.''
''Don’t have to follow wanderfools. We are here.''
''They’re not.''
''Aren’t they?''
''No… yes… maybe,'' he concedes.
''Yes.''

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:45 AM

They sit without speaking for a long while. Fish takes off her boots. She puts them back on. She takes them off and shakes them upside down. Then she puts them back on.
“Stop that, Fish.” She does. They fall asleep. There isn’t much else to do. Em sleeps curled on his side. Fish sleeps on her back with her top hat over her eyes, some ways away from him.
Fish wakes first. It is dusk. A tree has grown behind her. Its roots are knotted and the branches thick, though green as a sapling’s. A few dead branches have fallen. Fish begins gathering them. Em opens his eyes.
“We eating tree today, Fish?”
“The night will be bitter cold, and filled with darkness.” Fish drops the sticks in a pile. Em looks at the tree apprehensively. He pulls out a deck of matches. He opens it. There are five left. He looks at Fish. Fish looks at the tree. A single leaf grows on it. Her boots rest at its base.
“We’ll be moving again tomorrow then.” Says Em. The light fails; the tree’s branches rapidly turn gray. Fish grabs her boots and puts them on. She doesn’t lace them all the way up. Gathering her sticks, she walks toward the horizon where the sun disappeared. Em hesitates. Then follows.
The stars come out. They argue about the names of constellations. Em points out Cancer, the crab. He accompanies it with a tasteless story. He laughs humorlessly. It sounds like two rocks hitting together. Fish points out the constellation Samabulou, the doll-faced monster and devourer of souls. They walk in silence after that.
They fall asleep in the grays before dawn. Em curled on his side. Fish some ways away on her back with a hand resting on her stomach. Fish wakes at noon. She sits up and watches Em’s back rise and fall. His black suit is rumpled and dusty. His bare feet are black. Fish speaks softly to herself.
“Black as black. Dusty as dirt. Lost-tired, lost shoes, silly-boy lost shirt. Black as black. Grimy-slippery cruel. Followed-lead poor tired Fish…” She falls silent. She can’t think of a word to rhyme. “Day breath wind cool…” There is wind. It comes up from behind her. It is cool. Fish turns. There are tiny snow-dusted mountains rising up on the horizon. Em stirs. He sits up and brushes off his jacket. It helps very little. Wetting his two pinkies he smoothes his dark eyebrows. Then he turns and sees the mountains.
“You wish to see the mountains, Fish?” He says with a smile. Fish says nothing. “I know some one who would pay good money…” He cups his hands suggestively. Fish covers her ears and squeezes her eyes shut. Em laughs and strides past her towards the white peaks. Fish glares at him, grabs up her bundle of sticks and follows. The sun beats down all afternoon. Their cheeks are rosy and sun burnt. Em’s still carry dirty streaks of rouge and long dark smears of eyeliner from days ago.
“How many days has it been, Fish?”
“The days pass faster than memory grasps.”
“So they do…”
They walk.
The light of the sun fades. A new light appears on the horizon. Em walks faster. Fish hangs back. Hours pass. The light gets bigger and rights itself into the square light of a window. Em is walking more slowly again. His feet bleed. The window is set in a large suburban house, complete with a large swimming pool and immaculately manicured lawn. Em smiles when he sees the pool. The grass ends abruptly, as if the lot had been cut out of some soccer mom’s dream and plunked down in the middle of nowhere.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 AM

They walk up to the white washed porch. Em is about to knock when Fish makes out the outline of a large tree. She grabs his wrist. The wind rustles the branches and three sunset colored leaves land on the veranda. Fish looks down sheepishly and Em rings the doorbell.
A minute passes. Fish peers in a window. Em sits with his legs splayed out and puts his head in his hands.
Another minute. Fish leans out over the railing and looks around one side of the house.
Another. Em glances nervously at the tree. The leaves rustle reassuringly. Fish looks around the other side and knocks on the door. A few moments later, they hear a few plucks of a violin and the porch light flicks on. Em jumps to his feet. Fish leaps to the door. She straitens her white, dented top hat. He swipes his hand over his greasy black hair.
There is another short riff on the violin and the door opens. Em greets the smiling woman.
“Good evening, fräulein. I call myself Em.” He takes her hand and kisses it.
“Good evening. My name is Wisteria.” She says. Her voice is warm and velvety. It sounds like a smile. She wears a floral sundress and heels. Her hair is soft reddish brown and set in perfect curls. Fish tries to brush off her own tweed jumper and pulls her hat a little further down over her uncombed straight blond hair. Wisteria looks at her and Fish stands up a little taller. Wisteria releases Em’s hand and reaches for Fish’s, smiling. Fish sighs and shakes her hand thankfully.
“And your name?”
“Em calls me Fish.” Says Fish.
“Pleased to meet you two. Why don’t you step inside?” The woman takes a step back, then notices the bloody footprints across her whitewashed porch. She purses her lips then smiles. “I’ll get some slippers.”
The violin plays a few short strokes and all the lights go out.
The lights come back up and all three are in the house sitting on a matching loveseat and chair set. The room is white like porcelain. Everything is arranged just so. The curtains are neatly pressed and the white carpet shows an impression where each step was taken for the three to get to their seats. Em and Wisteria share the love seat. His feet have large band-aids taped to the soles and a pair of fluffy pink slippers are on the floor nearby. Fish is in a chair gripping the armrests with white knuckles.
Em gives Fish a half smile and Wisteria laughs “, not used to blackouts, are you?” She says “, Where are you from?”
“I came from the brink-abyss of absurdity. That not-sense non-sense of happenings and re-happenings.”
“Oh my. I’m sorry to hear that. And what made you think to come this direction?” Fish shakes her head.
“It follows,” She grimaces and pulls the brim of her hat over her eyes. Wisteria smiles.
“Don’t worry about a thing.” She gets up and gives her a pat on the shoulder “, you’re safe here. I’m going to get you two some tea and while you two warm up I’ll set up the guest bedroom.” She leaves the room.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:51 AM

Fish rests her chin in her hands and stares somewhere past the wall. Em lounges on the couch, arranging his coat for minimum coverage of his well-built abs. Fish glances at him and glares. He smiles and stretches. The violin plays. Fish pulls a penny whistle out of her pocket. She repeats the notes. The violin plays another measure back. She responds. They play together. Fish stands slowly and begins following the sound of the stringed instrument.
Wisteria comes in with a white china teapot and two cups on a tray.
“Oh! I nearly forgot The Musician.” She says, seeing Fish. Fish continues to play. “You won’t find him.” Fish frowns. The duet finishes with a flourish and she sits back in her chair. Wisteria sets the tray on the coffee table. Her eyes linger for a moment on Em, who grins at Fish. Fish pretends not to notice and pours a cup of tea.
“The Musician came to me a few years ago.” Says Wisteria. “I’ve only seen him twice, god knows where he’s hiding, and he doesn’t speak—so I just call him ‘The Musician’. But he makes beautiful music to my life. He has this lovely song he plays on rainy days…” She sits on the edge of the love seat. Em moves so his legs brush her back. She scoots forward and continues. “And he keeps things in order around here, keeps things consistent, if you know what I mean.” Em moves his legs and she scoots a little further. He smirks. Fish tugs on the brim of her hat and nods to Wisteria. He stretches a little further. Wisteria hops up, smoothing her dress and blushing. Her voice goes all high.
“Well then! Why don’t I pour you a cup of tea and check on that room.” She pours the tea and sets it on the tray. Then she smiles and bustles up the stairs. Em watches her go and then turns back to Fish.
“You shouldn’t squint your eyes like that, Fish. You really have lovely eyes.” He purrs. Fish looks away and drinks all her tea in one gulp.
The violin plays.
Fish sticks out her tongue. The tea burnt it.
Em spots the liquor cabinet. He gets up and helps himself to a glass of cognac. He drinks it and mimes a drunken stumble, not so accidentally tripping into Fish’s lap. Fish shoos him off. She smacks him with her hat. He sits on the coffee table and stares at her. She stares back.
Suddenly the violin screeches. The window flies open and a dozen huge moths swoop in. Em throws himself to the floor. Fish stands and waves her hands wildly. The creatures are bigger than her head. They fly around the room several times before landing in a tasteful pattern on the wall. Their wings spread and their fuzzy antenna twitch. The markings on their wings spell out a note in scrawling handwriting.
“The end is always.” Fish reads. Em is huddled in a corner. Fish stands perfectly still. The moth’s antenna twitch. Wisteria comes running down the stairs. She looks at the moths.
“The end… comes for every one.” Her soothing voice breaks the silence. “For some, the end of a journey. Others, the end of captivity. The end of a long wait. And for all of us, The End. It may come sooner for some. We can take comfort in the fact that the end will always be there for us, even if the beginning is a little rough.”
The moths shrink and one by one fly out the window. Wisteria shuts it behind them. Her guests watch her. They don’t move. She puts the dirty dishes on the tray and picks it up. She smiles.
“Justification. These things vanish with a little purpose. The bedroom’s all ready for you. Up the stairs and to your right. Make yourselves at home.”

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:52 AM

Em gets up. He climbs up and over the couch and runs up the stairs. Fish takes off her hat and gives a little bow of thanks to her hostess. She walks up the stairs. Through the door on her right is a yellow room with too many pink flowers. Everything is frilled or lacey. She steps in. Em is lying completely naked on the middle of the single large bed. She turns around and walks out. She returns with her eyes shut with a large pink towel. Feeling her way to the edge of the bed, she throws it over him.
Fish puts her hat on the bureau and sleeps on the floor some ways away.
The violin plays.
Wisteria makes breakfast early. It gets cold before they are awake to eat it. Through the yellow rooms window is a view of the mountains. They are still several days walk away. Fish wakes first. She is still dressed. Her clothes are rumpled. Wisteria comments on them as she walks down the stairs. She offers her some clean clothes and leaves to retrieve some from her room.
Em wakes. He is barely dressed.
“I…” Wisteria has no words.
“Tell me truthfully you are unhappy at my appearance, fräulein.” He says. Fish shrinks and tugs on the brim of her hat. Wisteria smiles vaguely and turns to arrange pillows on the couch.
“Truly unexpected guests…” she says. Em nods and continues to walk down the stairs. Fish waves him back up angrily.
“Fool of flawed creature,” she says “, not seeing, not paying mind-thought and thoughtless.”
“People are what they are.” Says Wisteria, waving her off “, help yourself to the eggs and bacon.”
Fish does so. And Em joins them, though still lacking a shirt. They make small talk on weather. Em interjects with lewd comments, which are ignored. Fish has to back up and rephrase things sometimes. Wisteria has gossip from the city that she says lies over the mountains.
“There’s something going on over there. Some one named Add Nancy is stirring up something. A whole new religious movement. Something about finding ‘a path from the sky’. It makes one wonder.” She says.
“This way is not sweet opening arms to us, not our way.” Says Fish.
“Something like that, yes. I think it’s wonderful to think there’s somewhere better.”
“How?” asks Fish.
“I don’t really know. The man at the door was very vague about that part. He went on and on about collecting something for some one though.”
“For who?” asks Em.
“Well it’s being lead by some one they call the Leader—”
“That makes sense,” says Em.
“—and they said they wanted these things so they could distribute them properly. There’s a pamphlet around here somewhere,” she calls up toward the ceiling “, do you know where I set the pamphlet!” The violin plays a few short notes, a soft long stroke, then two notes that clearly say he doesn’t know.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 AM

“Will these collecting wander followers follow back and speak again?” asks Fish.
Wisteria is puzzled.
“Fish wants to know if they’re coming back.”
“Oh! I don’t know. They were here a few weeks ago. I think he said they had come into some luck and were heading to the plains.”
“This is all very interesting,” says Em with a wave of his hand “, but I just noticed you have a pool, fräulein.”
“Oh that thing, yes,” says Wisteria standing quickly “it needs cleaning.”
“Nothing wrong with dirty things,” says Em. He throws his head back and laughs. Fish massages her temples and stares at her plate. Wisteria begins gathering the dishes. Fish offers to help. They go into the kitchen to wash the dishes. Em puts his feet up on the table and leans back on two legs of the chair.
When everything is cleaned the two women go into the living room. They sit on the couch. Em vaults over the high back of the arm chair. Wisteria flinches as the front legs leave the ground. But he lands sitting in the chair neatly and the legs fall back to the floor with a thud. He winks at Wisteria. Fish rolls her eyes.
They spend the day chatting about nothing in particular. Wisteria doesn’t always know what they’re talking about, but she laughs politely when it seems appropriate, and nods pleasantly otherwise. Fish often goes to the window to check on the tree.
Wisteria asks her what’s wrong.
“Followed. This man will come and takefast. Take path and leave nothing for us again.”
“Are you sure it’s as bad as that?” asks Wisteria.
“Bad things come and—”
“No Fish, very good things come,” says Em. Fish looks at him. He smiles. Fish wrinkles her nose and turns back to Wisteria.
“It will not be good, Wisteria. Ending endless circles.”
“What if it were more of… more like a test that you’ve been through. How do you know this man wasn’t helping.”
“You know him?” asks Fish.
“Know who?” says Wisteria.
Fish looks at her very closely “, have you seen him?”
“Maybe that’s it Fish,” says Em.
“That would be different…” says Fish slowly “, have you seen the man?” she asks Wisteria again less sternly. Wisteria thinks. The violin plays.
“No… I don’t remember meeting him.”
“Good,” says Fish “, some one else like him maybe?”
“I wouldn’t know if they were like him, as I’ve never met him,” says Wisteria.
Fish looks at Em. Em is cleaning his nails. He doesn’t pay attention to her. She looks at the ground. Then back at Wisteria and nods. She sits back down. Wisteria smoothes her dress and asks the Musician to play a song. There is an affirming noise from the violin. Then he plays. It is a beautiful composition. It sounds like wind and desert.
“Sounds dark wind and desertlonely,” says Fish when it comes to a finish. They applaud. Em whistles.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:01 AM

They eat lunch. And later, dinner. Wisteria thanks them for the company. They thank her back and the three go to bed. Fish gets to the bed in the yellow room first this time. She waves her penny whistle at him like a sword. He laughs, and agrees to sleep on the floor.
Breakfast is a little later the next day. They sit at the table. Wisteria looks rather tired. Em folds his napkin into a boat. The violin plays. He hums along with it. And continues after it stops. Fish puts words to the song.
“We run path over plains and hills, running bad always death follow and kill. End at middle and start at end, caught and start all over again.”
There is a silence. They hear tapping. Em looks up. Fish looks shocked. Wisteria walks to the door. Her guests follow. She opens the door. On her porch is a boy. He stares right through Wisteria.
“Hello…?” He whispers. His eyes are wide and his shoulders are up near his ears. He hops up and down and wrings his hands. “Sir… or Ma’am?” The back of his hair sticks up. His clothes have too many seams, and more rips.
“Yes?” says Wisteria patiently.
“I have a message!” He calls into the house. Wisteria looks behind her. Em and Fish do the same. Em crouches and moves so the boy is looking him in the eyes.
“Hello…?” The boy’s voice shakes.
“Good afternoon.” Says Em. The boy stares past him into the room. “Well… be a good boy and tell us what the message is.” The boy shudders. He speaks loudly. As if he were talking to some one across a large room.
“I memorized it right well, sir! He said he’ll be here tomorrow!” Em stops smiling. Fish grabs the door and wrenches it from Wisteria. She slams it closed. They hear the boy run down the stairs and away from the house. They see him run past the window.
The violin plays.
“Here a false boy, bringer of false things. What did, Wisteria, bringing in false? Don’t answer!”
“Why not?” asks Wisteria.
“Lonely Wisteria and her music. Sit and don’t answer not-knocking. That boy brings false and death, Wisteria.”
“I think not. He comes here almost every day.”
There is an awkward silence.
“Take a seat, Fish.” Says Em with a false smile. “You make no sense when you’re like this.”
“Sense enough, Em.”
“Quiet Fish. You know, I called her fish because of the way she squirms, if you know what I mean—”
“Em tells tales!” says Fish. Em grabs her hat and places it on his own head. He holds a finger to her lips and turns to Wisteria.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 AM

“Once,” he says “, once I knew a woman who was struck blind in a terrible accident. Every day when she went out her front door she’d speak to a man who slept in the street.” He puts his arm around Fish’s neck and uses his hands like puppets in front of her face. She grimaces. “ ‘Good morning Herr Pearls’ She’d say. ‘Grapes and goats sliced up nice.’ He’d say, holding up a fork. Her neighbors called him crazy. This woman, she insisted he was just hungry. So, she’d buy him nice things to eat. Whatever he called for when she spoke to him when she went out. Grapes and sliced goats, salami and sour cream, blue cheese and liver. One day she went out. ‘Good morning Herr Pearls’ she said. ‘Fresh flesh dark pomegranate,’ says the man. ‘I don’t understand, what kind of flesh?’ Then… he gave a strange answer… want to guess what that was?”
Fish shoves him away with a shudder. He laughs.
“He stabbed her in the eye with a fork.” He laughs louder, until Wisteria gives a weak smile. “You think that’s funny? You’re sick.” Em smiles without using his eyes, then turns abruptly and runs upstairs. Fish races after to retrieve her hat. He’s not in the yellow room. She stands there for several minutes. Just outside the door. There is a mirror hanging on the far wall in the room. She can only see one of her arms up to her shoulder. She waves at herself. Out the window, dark clouds gather over the mountains. She walks in to pull the drapes.
Her hat is on the bureau. She grabs it and goes downstairs. Wisteria is clearing the table.
“The boy is what he is, Fish,” she says.
“But what he brings…”
“He brings nothing. It’s already here, isn’t it?” Wisteria’s eyes are worried.
“Here he is, has been, will be.”
“You can’t really fight the end…”
“This is not the end… here we are starting at the middle.” They look at everything but each other. They have met before. Em appears at the doorway with his coat. The walk silently out the back door behind Wisteria. The pool is empty except for a single leaf. Fish turns for the mountains.
“Wait!” Wisteria calls from the house. Fish stops without turning around. Wisteria runs up beside her. “Take my umbrella. It looks like rain.” The umbrella is long and white with a graceful curved handle. Fish cocks her head to the side. Wisteria smiles.
Fish walks with an open umbrella. Em is some ways away following. Wisteria is back in her house. Violin plays a beautiful song about rain. It fades into the sound of real raindrops.
“You have shoes.”
“She doesn’t need them,” says Em.
“The mountains are far.”
“We have time.”
“Who are you?”
“You call me Em.”
“You call yourself Em.”
“You do too.”
“I call myself Fish.”
“Fair enough.”
“Who are you?”
“You call me Em.”
“You call yourself Em”
“You… I…? Cognac?” Em pulls out a stolen bottle. Fish wrinkles her nose and tugs on the brim of her hat. Em takes a swig. The rain pours harder. Tiny rivers of sparkles run down from Em’s face. He ties his coat over his head like a bandana and does a little skipping dance in his new shoes. He is very wet and soon very drunk. Fish stays drier and doesn’t offer her umbrella.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:06 AM

It isn’t possible to see through the rain anymore. They can’t see each other. You can’t see them. But it doesn’t matter. There is thunder. Lightening flashes above, but it illuminates only sheets of rain.
Em sits down on the wet ground and huddles in a soggy ball. Fish lost sight of him a while back. She stops a minute later. She stands with her eyes closed. The rain soaks up the legs of her pants. Moments pass. So do the clouds. The downpour turns to a sullen drizzle as twilight comes. There is a rainbow. Em gets up first. He holds his head with both hands to keep the soggy world steady. Then he finds Fish’s scarecrow silhouette some ways away. When she opens her eyes he is beside her. There’s no question of sleep. They keep walking.
“It’s dark.” Says Em. It is dark. There are no lights. No stars. The clouds are veined blue, but illuminate nothing. They cannot see the mountains. The only sound is that of their muffled footsteps. The mist is a blanket over the plain.
“Where are we?” Asks Fish. Em doesn’t answer. Fish hums. Em harmonizes. He puts words to the harmony. He tells the story of a marble rolled under a stove. How a girl rolled it there in a game and it got stuck. How it stuck there for years until someone smacked it out with a broom handle. Fish harmonizes and sings back up. Em steals her hat and she glares. They are silent for a time.
“It’s not so dark.” Says Em. It isn’t as dark. The sun comes up. It hides behind the clouds. Everything is gray. The mountains sparkle in gray. Fish’s black boots and Em’s black suit are both coated in a fine gray clay mud. The white umbrella reflects the gray sky. They’re moods are gray. The mountains seem no closer.
“White sand and gray sand…” Em starts singing ironically. Fish doesn’t catch the reference but laughs anyway. It’s expected from his humorous tone and she is tired. Em laughs too. And trips over his own feet.
“Let’s rest a minute. The world is beautiful isn’t it?” Fish doesn’t answer him, but crouches down some ways away. They rest a minute. The mountains seem no closer. They walk on. The drizzle drizzles on. There is a figure ahead. They both think of veering off. But neither has the energy.
“Hello…?” the figure calls. The travelers stop. The figure turns and walks closer.
“Hello…?” It calls again. His eyes are wide; his shoulders up near his ears. He’s shivering in the cold. “I have a message! He says he’ll be here tomorrow!” A pause. The boy glances around. They see him run off into the mist.
They continue walking. Faster. The rain lets up. The sun casts a rainbow. The mountains look no closer. Em tells Fish about the amount of mud on her clothes. Fish tells Em politely to be quite. He is.
A lot of walking happens. And a lot of bickering. And some more raining, very small amount of sleeping, and an even smaller amount of smiling. They reach the base of the mountains. It is desperately cold. Em stays close to Fish for warmth. Fish stiffly allows it. They don’t know what to do. They bicker some more. It is difficult to bicker with some one you need for warmth.
They’re arguments are vague and circular. They see no more trees. But it doesn’t matter. Every day they see the boy. Maybe a week passes. He says the same thing. They start wishing he would come. Just as a break from the monotony. Then one day they see lights in the sky.
The lights are great green swirls and purple streaks over the stars. Like a huge cobweb draped over them as a canopy. It shimmers and shifts, blown in some celestial wind. Hundreds of shooting stars fly down.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:08 AM

“Where is our path?” Asks Fish. Em shakes his head.
“Where is the boy?” He asks.
“This day the boy will not come.”
The boy couldn’t get to them that day because of a huge band of people in his way. He runs into them but cannot see them. He speaks to the one figure he can see.
They march single file along the only path over the mountains. Em and Fish hear these people walking. They don’t see them. They argue whether to see what the noise is, but come to no conclusion. They sit and listen.
The long line of people comes from the city to the east. They follow the path in silent joy. They track fallen stars. A girl is among them. She goes off the path to climb a bolder. She stands at the top with her hands on her hips like a glorious conqueror. She spots two people out of line below her. Some one waves for her to get back in line, that the mountain beasts will get her. She hesitates… but then sticks out her tongue and climbs down toward the two people below.
The girl carries her skirt over her shoulder. She wears boy’s boots and bloomers. A hand sewn wool coat keeps her warm. Her hair is long and dark. She has it in a single plait down her back. She comes up behind Fish and Em.
“You’re poorly dressed for such weather.” She reprimands.
Em jumps up. So does Fish.
“So you haven’t climbed the mountains. Where are you from?” She gets no answer. “You haven’t come over with the rest of us have you?” the girl motions to where came from “I guessed not. I’ve been walking with them for ages. They say some one’s going to bring them new lives and love and joy and… stuff like that, from the sky! I really do want to believe them, but we’ve been walking for so long. I swear we’ve been walking in circles for ages!”
Fish starts to speak. Em cuts her off.
“Greetings! We are travelers in this place too.”
“I thought so,” says the girl “, I can get you some coats if you like.”
They do like that idea, and she goes bouncing off up the slope to retrieve them.
“Life and love and joy…” says Em.
Fish picks at some mud on her boot sadly “, they have a path.”
“How about a game of patty-cake?” says Em. Fish ignores him. The girl returns with the coats. They are thick and lined with fur. And clean.
“Spares,” the girl explains “, the leader keeps them around for us. Rotten old man he is, but he makes sure we’re warm and well fed. Even if his wagon does smell funny…”
“Who is he?” asks Fish.
“I don’t really know actually, I’ve never seen him really. He puts out these dreadful rules. I’m supposed to be wearing this skirt right now. And I’m not really supposed to speak either. But how is one supposed to honestly keep quiet with so many strange things happening? I wish I were a boy.”
“What’s your name, girl?” asks Em.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 AM

“Well… the leader says we’re to let go of our names we have now. He says we’re to get new names when all that stuff falls from the sky. He just gives us numbers for now. He says names hold us back from what we’re supposed to be.”
“Coded, counted and numbered…” says Fish.
“Relax a little. You are welcome here. Here we call each other by name.” He is genuinely disturbed by the idea of numbers for names.
“What will you be called, little wander-girl?” says Fish.
“I should rather be called by a boys name I think… but I can’t think of any that sound right. What are your names?”
“You may call me Em.”
“Like the letter?”
“Yes, exactly like the letter, lovely.”
“And Em calls me Fish.”
“But what is your name?” asks the girl. Fish sidesteps the question.
“What is yours?” she asks. The girl thinks for a moment.
“Em calls me lovely. You may call me Love.”
Fish cocks her head “, it fits,” she says.
“Well, Love,” says Em “, now that we’re all warm and introduced, why don’t we go do something worth talking about.” He and Fish begin walking toward where she came.
“What are you two talking about? Where are you going and… and… who are you?”
Em turns and smiles. Fish scowls. So does the girl. Love catches up with them.
“What are you doing? All those people are boring. Won’t you just sit with me and talk? I’d love to just talk.”
“What good is just talking?”
“I don’t know. It’s just good for keeping things straight. Em? Right?” Em nods. They don’t stop walking.
“Let’s talk about something worth doing then, Love,” says Em “, I am to understand you’re… flexible.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. And I don’t think I want to,” says Love. Fish snorts. They reach the boulder Love began at. “And why are we back up here?” she speaks softly.
“It’s not everyday one gets to look at so many people,” says Em.
“Here people with a path, here people giving paths,” says Fish.
“Why do you talk like that?”
“Talk how and what, Love?” says Fish.
“Like that…” says Love hesitantly.
“We come from futures and to pasts.”
“Don’t you ever just say what you mean?”
“Always.”
“Well it’s not very clear,” says Love, crossing her arms. Fish and Em laugh. Love puts her finger to her lips.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 AM

“Shhhh,” she says “, you’ll wake the socks.”
“The socks?” says Fish.
“Of course! The socks! Why didn’t we think of that?” says Em throwing his hands in the air.
“The leader keeps pet socks in his wagon. They keep watch. If we wake them, they’ll go missing.” Em and Fish are confused. “If they go missing he’ll wake up. I know, I don’t really get it either.”
The three are quiet. The walk up toward the path. The long line of people is gone. Down the road the leader’s wagon is slowly rumbling away. There is a sock left in the middle of the road.
“Poor thing!” Says Love.
“Is it missing?” asks Em.
“No of course not, if it were missing we couldn’t see it.” Says Love. Em kicks a rock.
“Then why is this sock not with that leader?”
“I think it’s sick, um…” Love pauses to remember Fish’s name, which Em supplies. “We shall have to nurse it back to health,” she finishes. Fish tentatively picks up the sock with her thumb and forefinger. It smells. She holds it at arms length.
“Maybe it can tell us where the next relic fell!” says Love eagerly “, then we shall have a lovely time finding it. We’ll have a great adventure.”
“Pardon, Love. Did you leader happen to have anything to drink on his wagon?” Em puts his arm around her. She ducks under “, he never shares anyway. How do you suppose you treat a sick sock?”
“How do you suppose it is sick, little Love?”
“Well little Fish, doesn’t it look a little green?” The sock was green. “Anyway, the leader must have thrown it out so as not to compromise his grand journey. Because… one sick sock would sicken other socks. And the socks… they’re like guard dogs and if they were all sick then some one might be able to creep in and cut his throat while he slept.” She strokes the sock. Fish plays along. She pulls a handkerchief out of her pocket and hands it to the girl. Love folds it around the sock so just the tip of the toe is showing.
“So… in short the supervisor sacked the sick sock that served as sentry for slit-throats?” says Em.
“Well… yes.” Says Love. She cradles the sock “, it needs warm milk. Then it will tell us where the relic fell. You’ll help me look for the relic won’t you? It’ll be a grand adventure.” She sticks out her chest heroically.
“Love, followed by false circles and reversals are we. If we follow you they do to.” Says Fish.
“Then I will have to save you from… that stuff.” Says Love. She walks up the path, opposite the direction of the great line of people. She skips a little. Fish adjusts her hat, lays her umbrella on her shoulder, and follows. Em shrugs and follows Fish. They walk up the mountain single file. Fish sings.
“Sick sock, Love, Fish and Em; Walking up the tall mountain. Ground and sky the same color, with song and tales they get over.”

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 AM

“Once I met a man with a tail,” says Em “, he liked pineapples and never went out of the house. Then one day he met a woman. She was pretty thing with bobbed hair and those hips!” He whistles “, he decorated his tail in bells and ribbons and they went out every night. He became a fantastic celebrity. They got married. They had a child. The child had a tail too. Then the woman divorced him and took him for all he had.”
“That’s cruel,” says Love “, I think it’s terribly romantic how she loved him even with his tail though.”
“I never said she loved him, Love.”
“I think she did. Then he betrayed her dreadfully and that’s why she divorced him. Leaving that poor child to fend for itself, until he—”
“It was a girl.”
“—until she finds a love of her own and breaks the generational curse.”
“If this is how you wish to tell it, Love.” Says Em. He shrugs and rumples her hair. They are over the mountain after a somewhat absurdly short amount of time.
“We got over this mountain in a somewhat absurdly short amount of time,” says Love “, and the grass is greener here.” The grass was greener. “It sets off your eyes, Mr. Denial.”
“Love speaks softly and names her sock,” Says Fish.
“Fish speaks to no one and makes no sense,” says Em.
“Em speaks… you two never make any sense,” says Love “, look! The city!” She skips toward it. It is still far away. But they can hear it. “Mr. Denial needs to rest soon!” She calls back. Em skips with her. After a thought, Fish does too.
They reach the city by dusk. It’s a patchwork city full of mix-matched buildings. Mud hovels cower under great building of lofts. Floating buildings of glowing metals fight for space with quaint town houses. The green grass turns to cement and concrete and board walks abruptly. Just as the grass began at Wisteria’s house. The people are as varied as their surroundings. They come from all time periods and countless nationalities and species. Camels, cabbies, hover cars, bicycles, and wagons loaded with hay share the roads and skitter about following no particular rules. The people drift about close to the buildings, aimlessly wandering.
Love directs them to a fancy hotel. She greets the clerk at the front counter warmly and they walk by without checking in. The clerk looks vaguely shocked and pleased. She takes them up to the top floor. By the elevator.
“Sometimes weird people are in the stairwells,” she explains. The top floor is a little musty. Not many people visit up there. A woman in a black dress and frilly apron sits against the wall, toying with a magnifying glass. The wallpaper peels at the corners. Fish studies it. It is decorated with clowns picking flowers. Love brings them to a room around a corner. The door is freshly painted, unlike the rest of the doors. Love pulls a key on a string from around her neck. She opens the door.
The room is a lived in motel room. The bed is rumpled and covered with a patchwork quilt. The armoire is open and two dresses hang inside. Another bed is covered in blank pieces of paper, in various colors. There are nutshells and a pocket knife on the beside table. Everything is coated in a fine layer of dust. Fish sneezes.
“Oh dear,” says Love “, it has been a while hasn’t it.” She sets Mr. Denial gently on the bedside table begins organizing the papers on the bed. Em opens a door and finds the bathroom. He goes in and turns on the shower. Fish shuts the door behind him. Love has the papers in a sort of pile. She picks them up and shoves them under the bed. Fish sits next to her and slumps down until her head is between her knees.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 AM

“Why do you and Em stay together?”
“There are no other togethers to stay with.”
“I certainly wouldn’t.”
“Wouldn’t what, Love?”
“Stay with him. If I were a man I would be kind and strong and I wouldn’t make fun of the way you talk. Are you going to get married?”
“You are not this and such a man, Love. People are what they are.”
“But are you?”
Fish sits up “, Crossing and weaving paths and not-paths. This not-path and not-crossing, this not-weaving weaves impermanence.”
“What does that mean?”
“No.” Fish stands and walks to the armoire. She uses her pinky to draw swirls in the dust. Love bounces after her.
“Where are you from?”
“Where from and how went, none know.”
“Oh…” She sits on the floor and fiddles with a piece of fuzz. Em emerges from the bathroom wrapped up in towels like an Indian prince. He bows and his turban falls off. Love laughs and he smiles. Fish draws a picture of a pig on the armoire.
“The shower is open, Fish,” Em tosses her the towel. She tosses it back, glancing at Love.
“Go on,” says Love “, I’ll be fine.” Em finds a comb in a drawer and combs his hair. Fish tentatively heads towards the bathroom, throwing Em a suspicious glance. The girl smiles at her. Em waves her off and turns to pull on his pants. She sighs and steps into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.
Love practices handstands against a wall. She falls over. Em comes up beside her and flips into a perfectly balanced handstand. Without the wall. Love sticks out her tongue. She tries again and falls. Em balances on one hand. He gives her a thumbs up. She flips him off and tries again. She throws herself into it with such momentum that her feet smack against the wall. It shakes the room. She falls over onto Em. They end in a heap.
They hear the water in the bathroom turn off. There are some thuds and Fish comes flying out in a towel, brandishing her umbrella. Em sits cross-legged and smiles serenely. Love is already back practicing. Fish takes two steps forward. She turns and goes back into the bathroom.
Em finds a newspaper. It’s written in gibberish. Love stubs her toe on the armoire. She hops around the room. He turns the paper upside down. She tears off a strip of the newspaper and wraps it around her toe as a bandage. He turns the paper right-side-up. Love lies on the bed “, oh, I’ve been hideously wounded!” She throws her hand over her forehead in a melodramatic gesture.
“Then you should get to bed,” says Em, turning the paper sideways.
“What were you doing in the dessert?” Love sits up.
“There once was a women who lived in a place very much like this. She had little round tattoos all over her body and a very fluffy dog.”

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 AM

“Not many people go down there,” Love says.
“ ‘Herr Em,’ she’d say to me ‘comb my dog, while I go to the gym.’ ”
Love stands on the bed and bounces a little “, and I was thinking, how silly that we were all there that day—”
“I’d say to her, fräulein. If you’re going to ask me to do this then you’re going to have to tell me where you got those tattoos—”
“You and me—”
“She said to me, Em—”
“And Fish and the leader—”
“They’re not tattoos—”
“And the Followers—”
“They are, in fact—”
“And that strange blind boy.” Em stops and stares at her. She jumps around in a little circle “, someday I’ll be able to do a back flip on here.” She jumps extra high and lands sitting. Em looks back at his newspaper. Fish comes out of the bathroom. She wrings out her hair in a towel. Love opens the musty curtains. The sky is striped pink and blue between the two buildings across the street. Then she goes back to her sock.
“Poor Mr. Denial,” she says “, He’s getting better now, though. Soon he’ll tell us where the relic is.”
“What’s this, Love?” asks Fish.
“What’s what?”
“This the relic.”
“The leader says it brings up our purposes. He says we didn’t do anything or know anything or love anything before they started falling,” she strokes the green sock. It was developing blue spots. Fish lies down. Love lies next to her. Em sits on the bed, but moves when he sees Fish looking at him.
Em discovers an old radio under his pillow. There are no channels. They fall asleep to the static.
There’s a knock on the door in the morning.
Love jumps up to answer it. A tall man in slacks and a crew cut stands there. His hands are in his pockets. He shifts his weight from foot to foot gently. Love jumps up and hugs him around his neck. He swings her around and grins.
“I brought you some pancakes, ma’am.”
“I’m Love now!” says Love. The man stares at her for a moment.
“How’s that?” he says.
“Well I met these people in the desert and we braved the mountain and then they helped me find a name.”
“I ain’t got a name,” he says slowly.
“Every one has a name! You just haven’t thought of it yet.” Fish stirs behind her.
“Who’s that?” says the man.
“That’s Fish!”
“She’s called a fish?”
“Silly, that’s her name.”
“Oh,” he sets her down “, a brought you some pancakes.” Behind him is a dolly with a large plate, stacked high with pancakes and a pitcher of orange juice.
“It’s kind of a welcome back gift,” he says. He speaks at a leisurely pace with a lilt and a twang “, you’ve been gone so long.”
“It has been such a very long time,” says Love “, and I do wish you would call me Love. I’m coming to like being called something.”

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 AM

“Alright. Love. I think that’s a pretty name for you.” Love drops to the ground and starts wheeling in the dolly, the man follows.
“We’ll find a pretty name for you too. I’m sure of it. There’s a name out there just for you, just waiting for the right moment to bestow itself on you.”
“I’d like that.” Says the man. Fish gets up.
“Who are you?” she asks the man.
“He doesn’t know that yet,” says Love.
“I know I run the information desk. I know I like pancakes.”
“Names titles, definitions of beings they are not. Complimentary,” says Fish, kindly.
“Don’t know what that means ma’am.”
“Don’t worry sweet head,” says Fish.
“Alright.” Says the man. Love is suddenly aware of Em standing behind her. She didn’t see him get up. He reaches over her shoulder and grabs a pancake.
“Hey, those are for Love. You got to ask permission, sir.”
Em speaks with his mouth full “, well fräulein?”
“There are plenty of pancakes for all of us,” says Love. She runs over to the bedside table and fetches the sock. She shows it to the man “, look! We found one of the Leader’s socks! It got sick but we bravely took it over the mountain with us and we’re nursing it back to health.” The man looks at the sock. It is blue all over now.
“That’s kind,” he strokes the sock “, I bet you’re really good at healing socks, Miss Love.” Love giggles.
“I’m alright at it,” she says.
“Alright. Well I got to get back to my desk, Miss Love. You be good,” he walks slowly to the door.
“I will! Thanks so much for breakfast,” she hugs him around the middle. He walks out. She waves to him as he walks down the hall. When she turns around, Em is on the bed with pancakes in both hands, dodging Fish’s waving umbrella.
She puts her hands on her hips “, What in heaven’s name is going on here?”
“Too many, too much, pancakes got taken.” Says Fish.
“I only took what I can eat—” Em protests.
“You eat bad much!”
“You two are silly,” says Love she grabs a pancake. She sits on the floor and nibbles around the corner, occasionally offering some to Mr. Denial. The sock refuses to eat any. Fish scowls. She also sits to eat a pancake. Em does a little dance and finishes off the pancakes he holds while bouncing on the bed. When he’s done, he leaps off and suddenly runs out of the room.
Fish looks at Love. Love looks at Fish. Fish cocks an eyebrow. Love balances a pancake on her head. They hear a loud boom outside. Love drops the pancake onto the dolly and runs to the window. Fish does the same. The streets are full of people. They look confused. There’s and small break in the crowd in the middle of the street. People move towards it. It moves down the street then suddenly closes up. Em comes back into the room and sits on a bed behind them. He has a glass of red wine. He sips it slowly. His back is facing them.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 AM

“What’s going on?” says Love.
“Some young man is leaping down the street,” says Em.
“Many more than one young leaping man.” Says Fish, looking at all the people gathered.
“They all watch him, fräulein Fish.”
“He leaps?” ask Love.
“Quite far,” says Em. Love opens the window and leans out. She squints to see if she can catch a glimpse of the leaping man. The crowd disperses and the man is no where to be seen. Love returns to her sock.
“He needs warm milk,” she tells Fish. Fish stares at her blankly. “Go down and tell the man at the desk we need warm milk for our sock.” Em bows and wanders out of the room. Fish shrugs.
“Does that mean he’s getting milk?” Love asks. Fish doesn’t know. They stare out the window until he returns. He comes back with a pitcher of warm milk.
“Oh that’s far to much for one small sock!” says Love. Em looks at her.
“More for me then,” He makes a more as if to take a swig, but Love takes it from his hands. She sets it on the bedside table next to Mr. Denial and goes into the bathroom. She returns with a soap dish. She pours some milk into the dish and sets the sock into it like a small bathtub. Fish fiddles with her hat and looks confused.
“The milk will draw out the poison by dinner time,” says Love “, then he’ll be able to speak again and he’ll help us begin our epic quest to find the relic.” She stands on the bed. She waves an invisible sword. Fish joins her and strikes a heroic pose.
“En guard!” yells Love suddenly, pointing her air sword toward Fish. Fish yells and pulls an invisible broad sword from her side. She holds it with two hands. Love looks down at her little foil. She sets her face into a heroic scowl and they dual. Em faces the window and drinks the rest of his wine.
Some one knocks on the door. Em answers it. Fish and Love continue to fight. They leap off the bed and do somersaults onto the other bed. They throw false kicks and punches.
Em comes back white faced, but they don’t notice. He watches them for a few minutes. Then he leaves the room. Fish and Love stop fighting. They are breathing hard and laughing. Love checks on Mr. Denial. He has absorbed all the milk, but otherwise doesn’t look any different. She fetches a small piece of toilet paper and dabs the toe delicately, like you would some one with a fever.
Fish twiddles the dial on the radio. There still aren’t any channels.
“Where’s Em?”
“I don’t know, Love.”
“We should find him, he could get lost.”
“Em will find and seek what he will, Love.”
“Let’s go out,” Loves says. She grabs her hand. Fish grabs her umbrella. They leave the room. The carpets in the hall are thick. Their footsteps are silent. They take the elevator down. In the lobby, Em is talking to the man at the desk. Em is oblivious to his two companions, but the man waves.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:15 AM

“Hey, Love,” he says her name like it had two syllables “, I been thinking about what you said.”
“Really?” says Love. Em looks put off. He turns and smoothes his eyebrows.
“My name is Sherwood,” says the man.
“A brave name for a brave man,” Love nods solemnly.
“Yes, ma’am,” says Sherwood. Fish examines a potted plant. Em pokes her in the ribs. He moves and her umbrella narrowly misses striking him in the face.
“Mr. Denial is doing much better, don’t you know,” says Love.
“I… don’t know,” Sherwood says.
“Mr. Denial is our sock that you so kindly helped us tend to,” says Love. Sherwood nods stiffly.
They go outside. The streets are back to their state of chaos. The same that they saw the day before as they arrived. Em nearly gets hit by a cab. It bounces off a boardwalk into a rocky section of the road and splashes him with mud. They wander aimlessly taking in the city. People around them are in the same state. They all seem to be strangers there. A sheep says hello to them, and coughs up a slimy stack of papers at Fish’s feet. There’s a man walking a boa constrictor on a leash with an odd hat-shaped lump in the middle. They catch a ride on a horse drawn carriage. The driver speaks like a text book. The carriage takes them around the city before it returns back to the hotel.
Love is jumping up and down. She assures Em and Fish that the sock will be well again by now. Fish looks skeptical. Em smiles without really looking at her and hums. Love runs into the hotel and to the elevator. She taps her foot quickly while she waits for them to catch up. She presses the button for the sixth floor and the doors shut. Em presses the rest of the buttons. Love is upset and refuses to speak to him. The elevator stops at every floor and returns to the basement before finally going up to their floor. Love complains loudly at every stop.
They get to the sixth floor. Love is around the corner and down the hall before Em and Fish are out of the elevator. The woman in the maids uniform is back against the wall contemplating her magnifying glass. They hear Love talking as they get to the room.
“Oh Mr. Denial! I’m so glad you’re feeling better!” she says to the sock. There is a pause. She continues “, of course we won’t take you back to that dreadful place. You know, you were very brave back there. All alone on the road.” She stops for a second “, no of course we’re not spies! And he’s doing what? I don’t believe you.”

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 07:48 AM

Fish gets to the room first. Love has her arms crossed. She frowns and looks very closely at the sock.
“Mr. Denial, you are a capital liar.”
“What said and says this sock?” says Fish.
“He says that the leader is being selfish. I don’t believe him.”
“Scared-sad and shut up with these followers, you left him.”
“I did. What does that have to do with anything?”
“Love,” Em enters the room “, one time there were a group of cats that lived in an alley. One day one of the cats got it in their head to—”
“I don’t want to hear it!” says Love “, it’s going to be something dreadful isn’t it?”
“Perhaps… it depends on which cat—”
“Mr. Denial says he knows where the relic is,” Love interrupts. She listens. She brings her face way up close to the sock. Mr. Denial was still rather damp, but he was now bright blue. Fish is silent. Em hums. A few minutes pass.
“He says it’s in the city.”
“That’s all?” says Em.
“Socks sometimes speak very slowly,” Love explains. Em brings his face up next to Love’s. He stares at the sock.
“Once there was a blind man who spoke to the wind. He survived a hurricane when the rest of Berlin was struck down,” he says.
“Where’s Berlin?” asks Love. Em thinks.
“It’s where I’m from,” he is surprised by this. He leaves the hotel room. Fish blinks. Love pets the sock.
“Where am I from?” she says quietly.
“Wherefrom and wherefore. Our where meanings and where beings rely on each other.” Love sulks.
“Why does he get to know where he’s from?” she says.
“He doesn’t.”
“Doesn’t what?”
“Doesn’t know, little Love.”
“But he just said…” she is listening to the sock again.
“What says Mr. Denial, Love? Tell.”
“He says I’ll know where I came from when we find the relic.”
“And he knows this place?”
“No. He only knows where the relic is,” Love smiles. Fish cocks her head.
“He doesn’t know where I came from I mean,” Says Love. Fish nods. “Where did Em go, Fish?” Fish’s nod turns to a shake. She squints up her eyes and pulls her hat down.
“That’s ok, Fish. I just thought… because you seem to get at least a little bit about what he’s doing. Oh I don’t get this at all!” She throws herself on the bed “, no, Mr. Denial, I am not depressed… poor Mr. Denial! No wonder you were so sick,” she coddles the sock. “His wife left him,” she explains. Fish apologizes and gives her condolences to the sock.
“Oh now he’s crying!” says Love. Love spends the better part of an hour helping the sock through its difficult time. She explains to Fish what’s going on as she goes. Fish tries to be attentive, but she is distracted by the metal stamped ceiling. It has flowers on it. Now she stands up to leave. Love holds up a finger to the sock.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM

“Hold on. Fish! Where are you going?”
“Finding.”
“Finding… ?”
“Finding Em.”
“I thought you said… he was seeking and… finding himself or something… before?”
“He finds-seeks what he will, I will find-seek him now.”
“I do wish you’d talk straight like normal folk.” Fish leaves. Love returns to the distraught sock. An hour passes. Fish returns with her arms crossed.
“What’s the matter?”
“Drunker than drunk, drinks himself stupid.”
“Oh…” she turns to the sock. She shivers. And looks at Fish. Fish is staring at the door. Then there is a knock.
“Hello… ?” calls a nervous voice.
“Aren’t you going to answer it, Fish.” Says Love. She is not concerned by the voice. Fish is. She shakes her head.
“Hello?” calls the voice again. The doorknob turns. The door opens. Love stands and leans to look around the door. Fish shrinks back into a corner. The door opens a little further and the boy steps in.
“Hello!” says Love. She holds out her hand. The boys eyes go huge and his mouth turns into a tiny ‘o’. He trembles.
“We met before? Up on the mountain. Remember?” says Love. The boy shakes his head. The rest of him shakes with it. “You don’t have to be nervous. How old are you?”
“Well…” starts the boy. He doesn’t seem to have anywhere to go with this ‘well’. It is filler.
“Why you can’t be much older than me!”
The boy bites his lip. Fish motions frantically at Love. Love doesn’t see her and motions the boy in. He doesn’t move.
“Well go in then!” He goes in. He doesn’t see Fish. He looks everywhere in the room besides Love. “Come on, look at me!” His eyes flick to hers. Then he looks at the floor.
“I have a message,” he says.
“Well what is it?” Love says impatiently.
“Well… I memorized it right well—”
“Then say it,” says Love. the boy drops his head.
“You’re a bit dull I think,” she says.
“He said that he’ll be here tomorrow.”
“Who?”
“He sent me.”
“Who is the man who sent you?”
“No.”
“No what?”
“It’s not ‘who’.”
“Then he can’t be a he then can he?” Love turns around to the bedside table to get the milk “, would you like some warm milk?” But when she turns back the boy is gone.
“Where did he go?” she asks Fish. Fish shakes her head. “Who was he?” Love asks again. Fish doesn’t answer. “You make life so difficult!” Love says. Fish looks at the ground.
“I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings… sorry…” Love also looks at the ground. Em burst through the door. He has found make-up somewhere. His cheeks have red circles of rouge and his eyes are outlined in dark black. He has patterns of sparkles on his cheeks. He has found a white shirt and a bowler hat. Fish squints her eyes at him. His pants are still muddy and aside from his stumbling walk he looks oddly groomed.
“My friends!” He says with a flourish of a hand “My friends, I have discovered my calling and I want you to celebrate with me!” Neither of his friends moves.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 AM

“Mr. Denial says he needs more warm milk,” Love moves to leave the room. Em catches her on the shoulder.
“Come Love, lets have a drink or two. Oh, Fish…” He laughs way up high and stops at an odd point without really finishing the laugh “, don’t look so appalled. You are of course invited.” She doesn’t move. Love quickly removes his hand from her shoulder. He moves to give her a slap on the rear, but Fish smacks him hard on the wrist with her umbrella. “Fish, love! Love, love!” He laughs. Love runs out of the room. “Fish, love…” he takes her hat and places it on top of his. Fish says nothing. She tries to grab the hat back, but he dances away, laughing. He falls over. And stands up again holding his head.
“Everything is wonderful Fish! Don’t be so…” he waves his hand vaguely and stumbles. Fish grabs her hat back. She throws his hat on the ground and walks sullenly to the door. Em reaches for his hat, but misses. His hand closes around only air several times before he finds it. “We’ll have a fantastic time—”
Fish walks out the door and shuts it behind her. Em sinks to the floor like a deflated balloon. He sits cross-legged and lets his head hang to the floor. He breathes. He stands. He walks over on his rubber legs to retrieve the radio from the armoire. Setting it on the floor, he sits on his knees. He is staring down at it. It plays static.
Em hums to the static. It’s a repeating meandering melody. About static.
Fish finds Love downstairs sitting on Sherwood’s lap. She has her face buried in his arm. Sherwood looks confused and concerned. His eyes are focused on the ground and he doesn’t see Fish. Fish stops and watches them without saying anything. Love is stubbornly not crying. She whispers something to Sherwood. He nods and strokes her hair. Fish bites her lip.
She hums a tune to herself. It’s a meandering melody. About static. It repeats over and over again. The words are only in her head. They don’t sound good, so she doesn’t say them.
Moving fast. Moving slow. Moving faster. Move not at all.
Head on hands. Head in arms. Lifting head. Let head fall.
Love stands. Sherwood looks at Fish. Love looks at Fish. Love sniffs. Fish looks down. Love walks towards her. Then she stops and turns around.
“I hate him,” she says “, let’s leave without him.” They stand. Love turns her head to look at her. Fish looks worried. She slowly shakes her head.
“Why did I come with you? The leader would be so appalled. I shouldn’t have come, he looked at me… like I was some… floozy!” She throws herself back at Sherwood. He looks at Fish. He doesn’t know what floozy means. Neither does Fish.
“Love…” Fish leaves her mouth open and says nothing for a second. She says “, Love, he is on our sweet path this path we found.”
“You can’t honestly think that, can you?” says Love. Fish shrugs. She reaches into her pocket and wraps her long fingers around her penny whistle. She turns around and heads towards the elevator. But there are people in the way. Three men in olive green suits stand in front of the elevator.
Fish raises an eyebrow. She hadn’t seen them there before. One man has red hair and is balding. He has a long beak-like nose. His beady eyes stare at her. The second man has salt and pepper cropped close to his head. His brow seems to overhang his eyes too much. He hunches a little. The third man is bearded with bright blue eyes. The hair on the top of his head is thick and goes every which way.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 AM

Fish takes a step back. They take a step forward. She squares her shoulders and steps forward. They step back. She cocks her head. She steps back. They step forward. She backs up again. They follow. She steps forward. They go back. She does a little Charleston step and the man with the red hair has to look at his feet to keep up. Fish smiles and holds out her hand. They take it and pull her towards them. She drops her umbrella. The bearded man grabs the other arm as she reaches for it. He and the red-haired man hold her between them.
“Fish?” calls Love “, Fish, what’s going on?” She stands. Sherwood keeps one hand on her shoulder. The salt and pepper man walks towards her. He stands and stares at her. She holds her gaze. He doesn’t blink. She breaks eye contact for a moment. He twitches the corner of his mouth in a way that might be a little bit of a smile. Then he goes back to Fish. She is standing indignantly straight. With her chest out.
“The Leader wants his sock back,” he says.
“We don’t—” starts Love.
“You can’t,” says Fish.
“Why?” asks the man.
“It died.”
“How?” he asks. Fish looks at him strangely.
“How one does die and fills with death is quiet and what else?” she says.
The salt and pepper haired man glances to both of his companions. He shifts his weight. Fish rephrases “Death fills the lungs and sickness takes what wants. Both sock and man.” The salt and pepper haired man looks at the bearded man. The bearded man nods. The salt and pepper haired man looks back at Fish. Fish’s eyes go wide.
“Can we see this sock?” he asks. Love opens her mouth to speak, but Sherwood grabs her arm. Fish nods slowly and then more quickly. They go into the elevator. Love shakes Sherwood’s hand off her arm and crosses her arms.
“Don’t want you gettin’ hurt, Love.” Love looks at the elevator.
Up on the sixth floor Fish speaks loudly.
“We walked fast went high over mountains! High cool mountains, no grass no people empty. Came down fast and quiet into grass and people and city.”
“Quiet, woman. You drunk, innit?” says the bearded man.
“Drunker than drunk, drink yourself stupid!” She calls down the hall. The red headed man clamps his hand over her mouth.
The woman in the maids uniform is no where to be seen.
They reach the room. The door is open. They have to drag Fish across the threshold. Mr. Denial is lying on the bed. He is very blue.
The salt and pepper man walks quickly over to the sock. He snatches it up and looks at it very carefully. He hands it to the bearded man, who examines it even more closely. The bearded man passes it to the red head, who sniffs it, pokes it, and puts his ear up to it. The three shove Fish into a corner beside the armoire. Her hat flops over her eyes. She adjusts it and sits up straight. The bearded man trips over the radio on his way to lock the door. It plays static into the floor.
He returns and the red head lays the sock on the bed. They all lean in real close to look at the sock. The sock does nothing. The three men sit on the bed and whisper among themselves. The red head turns to Fish, “How do you know it’s dead?” the bearded man smacks him on the back of the head and they return to the sock. Fish sits tensely with her legs crossed. Suddenly a hand reaches out from under the bed. Fish jumps. The salt and pepper haired man looks at her. She makes her eyes wide and slouches down. He looks away and she leans down toward the hand.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 AM

The hand makes a finger. It draws something on the carpet. Fish cocks her head. The hand taps impatiently. It draws a little curly cue. It makes sticks its thumb up and flips between thumbs up and thumbs down rapidly. Fish looks confused. Then she nods. The hand taps the carpet and continues drawing. It draws a little lima bean shape. Fish squints and tilts her head. The hand draws the curly cue fish again points at her and draws another lima bean.
It taps the floor quickly and draws it again. The leader looks up. Fish lets her eyes drift off. He turns away. She focuses on the hand again. She smiles a little. She puts her own hand on the ground and gives Em the thumbs up sign.
Fish slowly starts unlacing her boots. The men are preoccupied. Lowering her head a little, she confirms that her feet are not in sight of the men. She unlaces them faster. The men are whispering. She pulls off the boots as silently as possibly. She taps her fingers on the wall to cover the sound. The bearded man looks, but Fish is a picture of boredom. The foot of the bed covers her two socked feet. Her socks are white. She looks at the bearded man. He is thinking hard and looking toward the window. She takes the socks off her feet and tosses them under the bed. She starts pulling her boots back on. She has to pull hard.
Her grasp slips and her foot hits the floor with a thud. All three men look up. They get up and walk over to her. She has one shoe on, but unlaced. She sits perfectly still. They stand perfectly still. She puts on her other shoe quickly, with a fervor. Em rolls out from the bed in front of Fish and under the other.
Fish keeps her eyes on the shoe.
“Where are your socks, woman?” asks the bearded man.
“I don’t wear socks,” says Fish “, and my name is Fish.”
“You have no name,” says the red head.
“where are your socks?” asks the salt and pepper man. He moves up very close to her face. She doesn’t look at him until she is finished tying her boot.
“What was said, man. I have no socks.” The man squints his eyes. She squints hers back and pulls out her penny whistle. The red head slaps it out of her hand. She taps her hat sharply down over her eyes, leans back and crosses her arms. The salt and pepper haired man whips around and triumphantly pulls the sheets up on the bed in front of Fish. Fish doesn’t move. His face falls and he looks under the other bed. There’s nothing but a huge pile of papers. He opens the armoire. There are two coats hung.
“Who is the second coat for?” Fish raises her hat and opens her mouth.
“It’s for that girl, innit? Deserter,” the bearded man says without letting her speak. Fish nods.
Salt and pepper heads for the door “, Lock the door behind you, 670.” The bearded man nods. He examines the armoire. The armoire rests entirely on the ground with no room to fit his fingers under. He looks behind it and finds nothing.
“We’re taking this here sock with us,” says 670. He turns and grabs the blue sock off the bed. He and the red head leave the room. There’s a heavy thunk outside the room. Fish walks to the door. She turns the door knob and pushes. The door doesn’t move.
Em comes out from under the bed. Masses of papers slide out with him. He massages his forehead. He sees Fish.