Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 AM

My biggest pet peeve is role playing with someone who starts off pretty decent then halfway through the story (when you're playing the male) their character is suddenly a sexual predator that has sex with your character and the next thing you know their character is pregnant and suddenly the actual plot of the RP is lost and it becomes a weird episode of Leave it to Beaver.

That is my #1, biggest pet peeve ever!!!!
Because I'm all about plot progression, character development, twists!
I don't want my my assassin who's hired to kill your character to suddenly evoke a daddy and spend his time changing diapers and singing Hush Little Baby.

):<

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-29-2015, 03:31 AM

ahaha. Did that really happen?
Sounds like the real complaint is romance progressing too quickly and nullifying the rest of the plot?

Kory

Old 07-29-2015, 03:39 AM

It happened a long time ago.
That, and once I did a role play with this guy and all of a sudden he got my character pregnant without my character having any idea and without warning me what was happening with MY character.
But I guess that would fall under the umbrella of god modding.

Yes!! That is exactly what happened, though. Romance happened too quickly.
Sometimes I don't even want romance in a role play because of that.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-29-2015, 03:48 AM

Uh yeah, that sounds like a god-mod big no no. If a character is getting pregnant, both writers should know and agree to it. It does kinda take two to tango after all...

I have a hard time rping without romance. Sometimes I don't mind it going too fast because hey, when that happens irl, it creates a whole lot of problems later down the road to play with. Not everyone seems to expect that, but doesn't mean I can't throw it in. >.>
I have a nasty habit of taking romance really slow though, like I don't think to advance it half the time. The rp ends up dying long before anything happens because it took me too long! XD

Kory

Old 08-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Oh, yeah, I understand that!

I sometimes take a long time to get to the action of the RP too,
Though, I think I do better without romance, (because most of my characters are assholes who don't really care about other people that way... ) I still think even with romance, I take a long time to get to it.

But personally, I prefer taking things slow. I don't know why, I like the buildup.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 PM

A lot of my characters are assholes too, but that's why I like to make them learn how to love. :D

Slow is definitely the better way to go. But just uh...if the romance has barely started by page twenty....
I think that should be about right for one of my rps.

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 08-05-2015, 06:02 PM

My biggest pet peeve is actually concerning romance, too. I love playing romance, but it is absolutely no fun if there is no tension and drama involved. Do I want that in real life? No. But I want it in roleplay because it is entertaining and helps keep things moving along. So what annoys me is when people do the sudden "love at first sight!" thing, which is fine in itself, but then also go on to have things go smoothly and perfectly fine. It's like... what was even the point of that?!

I once was rping in a group where a guy's character relationship fell apart with one of my female characters, so he decided to chase after someone else's girl. Sure, fine, that's normal behavior. But then these two upon meeting suddenly decide they are soulmates and join life-forces or something nutty like that so that she can never ever leave him. Now, that could be the start of something really cool if she were to discover what a jerk he really was, and then try to leave him and all the magical or supernatural issues that might come along with trying to break that bond. But no. All sunshine and rainbows and kittens after that. What exactly was the point? Yick. Eh, to each his own, I suppose.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-05-2015, 06:15 PM

I agree it's no fun to write without tension. Man, I should update what I put in my first post because I don't even remember. These things definitely peeve me too.

I would say no tension in general is bad. It's even just a romance thing. And I don't know that a lot of people who do that are even aware they do it because they just don't understand what's necessary to make a story work or how to implement it. I know in writing classes, we talk about what makes a story a story and not just a tale. An obstacle, some kind of tension, is it. Now, I prefer the majority of my tension to come from intercharacter interaction, but that isn't necessary if there is a strong external obstacle. I mean, so long if 100% of the time, they don't 100% get along because that's impossible....

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Haha, exactly! It is tension and problems that drive plot. Otherwise it just gets boring and peters out. The world doesn't have to be ending for it to be fun, but there has to be something a little wrong at least to work out. My bestie and I see eye-to-eye on this but have troubles actually roleplaying together very often, which makes me sad. But we absolutely LOVE to torture our characters. Even if it is just cutesy romance, you have them so awkward and oblivious that you have to sit back and laugh at them for constantly getting in their own way and misunderstanding each other and blowing things out of proportion... you get the idea, lol. Or if they do get along well, there needs to be external conflict, as you said. So.... yeah... lack of conflict is a pet peeve, definitely!

I agree with the previous points on literacy, too. You don't have to post paragraphs to be a good roleplayer. A good post includes a reaction to what happened and then something for the next person to react to. Meaning gets lost in purple prose, and on the other hand nothing gets done if it all comes down to a bunch of one-liners. I actually once knew a guy whose purple prose was so bad that he could write several paragraphs and there would be absolutely nothing to respond to because it was mostly happening in the character's mind, yet he was remaining emotionless and stoic on the outside, so it didn't even matter. One of my buddies and I actually use part of one of his huge posts as a running joke, because he actually said something like "And the creatures in the woods doing the things that creatures do in the forest" and we were like... WHAT XD LOL.

Last edited by Sarahbelle; 08-05-2015 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: typos! ack!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 PM

Oh yeah, misunderstanding and obliviousness can definitely be a conflict. XD I love that.

That did make me think of something else though. You said the world doesn't have to be ending. Yes....exactly. When people realize they need tension in the story, they gravitate straight toward their character getting kidnapped, mugged, a giant meteor coming out of nowhere, no warning or build up in the story. Not that sometimes this isn't great stuff to do, but could we realize that sometimes subtlety can do as much, or more for the story?

Yeah.....
I mean, I love description and I don't mind a lot being written, but best make sure it's interesting and important and don't hate on me because I can say a lot in few words. Do wrap your head around the fact that a small post-size rp can be as literate, exciting, and full of material as a 3-6 paragraph post rp.
It really all boils down to pacing at some point.

Typically Untypical
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-08-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Dakuu View Post
3. Having the rp ditched in the first 1-3 posts or just as worse, after the question "who's going to start it?" when everything is ready and you've got a bubbling idea in your head that you now have no release for. Come on people, can't you at least stick around for more than one post before you decide the rp isn't worth it. I know a bad rp can been seen quickly, but isn't this too quick? Give the rp a chance!!

5. Really nice characters. You know, that really sweet and shy girl (sometimes guy) that forgives everything, wants no trouble, always backs down, never yells, or hates, a complete follower. I run into these ALL the time. These people aren't mary sue's really. They're even fine characters sometimes, but eventually it just gets really boring because I quickly run out of things to do in the story. This also goes for those damsel in distress chars!
*I've found a word for this: Hood Ornament. Sure some characters who are very sweet and shy are sometimes not hood ornaments, but because it's so overdone, I end up dislike them too. Which is sad. Don't make me dislike something I shouldn't. :(
#3 Totally Irks me. I've had rps I was super excited about be completely dropped because the person just didn't want to give it a chance. And what's worse is they stop responding so I don't know what was wrong.

As for #5, I actually have a character like this and because I know that she doesn't make a great rp character I have her paired with an older sister who is hot tempered, paranoid and violent. Makes things a lot more interesting :)

But also something you didn't mention that is on my pet peeves, I hate not getting back what I put in. If I write someone four paragraphs of really nice story telling and get back one line. It irritates me so much and makes it hard to respond again for me.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-08-2016, 03:23 AM

I forgot about this thread.

Yeah, it's so sad to lose rps though honestly I'm chill enough to not care most of the time. But I get frustrated when it happens all the time. I understand not everyone is as serious as me. Which goes ton the last thing you said. I also hate when effort is not equal. Sure sometimes a little paragraph is a perfect witty response to a longer one, but you've got to be adding something to the story. This is not always the case.

But there are totally great uses for those kind of 'nice' characters. You just got to do them right is all.

Immy
Winter Is Here...I think...

Penpal

Old 05-23-2017, 12:26 AM

one of my biggest pet peeves minus smut or one liners or three lines is...saying this... "Kyle met up with time and said hello and talked about how their summer had went and ..." I can't do it, but write and more than two times...in a sentence, it was used FOUR times in a sentence, I can't even read the reply because of it XS

Disciple

Old 09-25-2017, 06:28 PM

I don't know if it might come off a little snobbish, but a REALLY big pet peeve of mine is the quality of a person's OC art.
I usually have realistic art when I RP and I'm fine with the whole anime thing (to an extent), but I positively loathe
to Rp with someone who's character image looks like it was drawn by a 3 year old. If your OC is a stick figure by design then
ok, but otherwise, I like when a little more effort is put into the art...

Another is when people get offended for their characters. Not sure if I worded that correctly... There was this one RP I was in
a few years ago where I was playing a villain in a wasteland. Came across one of the "heroes" and my character called them
mediocre or something along those lines. Point is the villain insulted the "hero." I then got a LOOOOOONG PM from an angry
writer as to why I would dare insult the integrity of their character. Their character was top of the line in blah blah blah and they
could kill me with a flick of the wrist and blah blah blah, they just droned on. I ended up killing off my own character because the
writer couldn't separate his/her own feelings from the character's and I didn't want to be a part of that.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM

hm, I guess I can see that. Well, it's hard to visualize a character from such an image. If it's like that, it's easier to just describe them in words. However I have used very shitty drawings of mine in profiles before because that's all I have at the time. Not everyone can draw and some people ARE proud of those arts and the effort put into them. That's something you can't judge by looking. However, adding a text description really helps.... >__<

Wow. That's pretty terrible. I don't think that happens often though because I've never seen it to that degree. It's annoying to see characters that are obviously projections of the writer, to the point that there's no separation. I'd get irritated at that too, but that's kinda the realm of pre-teen writers so I never come across that sort of player.

Disciple

Old 09-26-2017, 05:58 PM

I didn't mean it as if I meant their art was mediocre, more along the lines of only having a "shitty drawing" to go off of. I understand that art is subjective and it's why I thought I might come off sounding as if I am superior based on art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. XD