Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 AM

Heroes of the Old West
________

Please visit our OOC thread here.

Quote:
Super powers aren't a common thing yet, heck they probably won't ever be common but a few folks have started noticing things about themselves or other people that just isn't right. This game is set in the mid 1800s during a time when these remarkable powers are first appearing. "Super heroes" and "Super villains" aren't developed concepts yet, and our characters will need to figure out how they are going to use their new found abilities.

Rules:
1) Absolutely no God Moding
2) Be polite and courteous.
3) Don't design other people's characters or their back stories unless give permission to do so.
4) Give the other RPers something to work with in your posts (2 or more paragraphs preferred!)

Last edited by Mythos; 03-16-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 AM

Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

Character Name: Miss Lydia Ivy
Hero Persona: "White Lady"
Physical Description: Lydia is a little shorter than average with hazel eyes and blonde hair that is generally tied back in a neat bun for the classes she teaches. Her hands are often covered in chalk dust, as are her dresses. Generally for school days she wears a grey or black dress, but she does keep a little something fine for Sunday services.
Personality: She strives to be pleasant and uplifting, through privately Lydia has some real confidence issues to sort out.
Quirks: Tats (makes lace) almost exclusively when she angry or upset
Powers (2): Pass through solid matter, become invisible (by temporarily traveling through spirit world)
Weaknesses (2): Both powers require a trained focus and Lydia becomes susceptible/target to harm from spirits while "invisible" (Due to their jealousy of her ability to return to the land of the living, the longer/more often she is using their world, the less hospitable they become)
Relationships: None
Back story: Lydia is the second daughter of three born to an apothecary owner and his wife. Since the beginning she can recall always feeling 'invisible' as the 'forgotten middle child', but when she turned 14 and discovered there was a little more truth in the phrase for her than most other middle children. Instead of marrying off early like her sisters Lydia, who struggled in all of her previous attempts to associate with men, became a schoolmistress in one of the few towns her father decided to set up shop in.

Half a year ago her family moved further West to take advantage of the boom towns cropping up here and there, but tied to her duties as the schoolmistress she insist that she remain. It wasn't a popular decision with her family, but after the pleading of a few mothers to allow her to stay until another schoolmistress could be found (at least) they were convinced to part ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmskyld View Post

Character Name:Silas 'Silent' Kelly
Hero Persona: Death Rattle
Physical Description: Tall, tanned, with sunstreaked dark brown curls and grey eyes. Usually clean and cleanshaven.
Personality: The nickname 'Silent' came honestly. Silas always seems to be quiet and thinking deep thoughts. Perhaps a bit absentminded. Very polite. Women find him intriguingly mysterious, and men find him good-natured, pleasant company. He usually has an even temper and seems almost impossible to anger, but every once in a while something sets him off with disastrous results for whoever angered him. Sometimes his personality just -changes- for a few hours-- see Weaknesses.
Quirks: Quiet. Doesn't drink much, by Western standards. Very aware of his personal cleanliness. If he weren't so tough he might be considered a bit of a dude.
Powers: 1)Speaks to spirits-- or rather, spirits speak to him. Often. It's why he's quiet and seems absentminded. He's listening. 2) Can grant the ability to see and hear spirits to other people temporarily.
Weaknesses: 1) Has a significant chance of being possessed by the ghosts he speaks to. If the ghost succeeds, it will try to carry out whatever purpose brought it back as a ghost. 2) He's always being pestered by spirits. It's like having annoying younger siblings who can walk through walls and never have to stop to eat or breathe.
Relationships: With living people? Not many. Everyone seems to like him but nobody really knows him, and sometimes he has trouble telling if the person he's talking to is living or dead.
Back story: Silent's family has always had a history of what his grandmother called 'the Sight'. He was born in Chicago, and while he was still a baby his father took Horace Greeley's advice and 'went West', and his mother found another husband. Her new husband didn't want someone else's child, so baby Silas was sent to live with his Irish grandmother. He's glad of that, because she knew what to do when the small boy started talking to ghosts. Granny Kelly died of old age shortly after he graduated college, and her ghost asked him to find his father. He's been looking for several years, but hasn't found any information lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple View Post

Character Name:Ohanko
Hero Persona:reckless red
Physical Description: Ohanko is a large man with long black hair that is braided all the way down with a eagle feather located at the top he wears a dusty suit with a shotgun holster on the right side.
Personality:Ohanko like his name is reckless when it come's to danger charging in to help who ever is in danger Ohanko tho try's to keep to himself being a native american but never letting himself become depressed.
Quirks:when ever Ohanko becomes stressed he finds himself playing with children because of there innocence.
Powers :(1) Ohanko has hawk like eye's able to see farther then normal people can (2)Ohanko has super reflexes from slashing with tomahawks to drawing a gun.
Weaknesses (2):Ohanko's powers are almost charged by the sun so if he finds himself outside of the suns reach for more then twenty four hours it renders his powers useless. Ohanko's powers can not be used at the same time as each other
Occupation:Ohanko helps at the school and also helps with heavy lifting but isn't able to get a real job because of who he is.
Relationships:Ohanko has two brothers and an older sister who are still with his people
Back story:Ohanko come's from a large tribe that like other tribes fallows the buffalo but Ohanko did not think that this was the life he would live after being given access to leave his people he took the amount of money that he had taken off of dead raiders that he killed buying a suit even when he looked like any other person he was shunned on for his skin but this never stopped him from smiling on life and his ancestors Ohanko when he was 25 found himself helping every one that he thought needed it from defending caravans to repairing buildings he always tried to help he always thought that his gifts were given to him from his ancestors to help people in need of help.

Last edited by Mythos; 03-15-2013 at 02:03 AM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 AM

Little Well wasn't a large town by any means, but it was by far the largest community for miles. It's location was completely dependent on the natural springs in immediate area which were an instant draw to a parched population worried about water-borne disease. The problem with Little Well is that it wasn't a major stop on the road West out to the boom towns and that kept the place fairly quiet.

Only a few years ago the Ivy family had moved into Little Well and set up shop despite there having already been an apothecary present there at the time. This brought Miss Lydia Ivy into the picture as a young woman eager to sink into the dusty plains and scrubby woodland that flanked Little Well. She had only recently finished her own schooling when she decided to offer her time to teach the students of the community, and found that it was a job that desperately needed filling. She fell into life in Little Well nicely, though she did keep mostly to herself and her family while they were around.

Today was already starting out well. She had visited Mr. Lodge at the general store and he had managed to save her just the right amount of flour from the remains of the last bag he opened for another customer. "I appreciate it." She called back to him, backing out of his shop. Flour for bread, and there was plenty of beans left... She was pretty much set. Lydia carried the bag down the road to the schoolhouse and set it down on her own desk. They would arrive fairly soon, she was certain, and then lessons would begin for a short time. Today was one of their last days in class before spring let out for planting and all the kids would be put to work by their parents. The problem was they were anxious about their time away from the stuffy old school house now, and she had a building full of them to deal with.

As the children started to mill into their seats she gave them a warm smile "Please remember to quiet down, you're not out yet but if we work quickly I'm sure we can manage some extra time for you before lunch."

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 AM

The road to Little Well was well-kept, given the town's size, and the tender grass and spring flowers made a lovely picture against the blue sky with its fluffy white clouds. It had even rained recently enough that the three riders kicked up no dust-- but not so recently that they were riding through mud. And even through this idyllic scene, Luke managed to find things to gripe about. The sun was too hot, the flowers made him sneeze, his horse's gait was uncomfortable, they were heading to a dinky little town in the middle of nowhere... and then the litany of complaints stopped abruptly as the oldest of the three riders punched the lanky blond with an iron-hard fist. "Consarn it, Luke, I'm sick an' tired of your wailin' an' moanin'. You volunteered fer this job, an' if ya hadn' taken it you'd be wailin' an' moanin' about the dust an' the cattle an' the food. Ah figger if you died an' went ta Heaven you'd spend all your time complainin' like a little old lady in a whorehouse."

"Damnit, Hank, ya didn't have to hit me. An' a whorehouse is another thing this 'Little Well' ain't got. Sure ya gotta eat dust fer months ta get there, but ya gotta admit you can have some fun in Abilene." The blond brushed himself off and climbed back onto his disgruntled horse before continuing. "'Sides, I'd've never come if I'd known what we'd be doin'. I figgered it'd be a payroll run, not a trip ta gussy up some old house jus' cause the boss's son's gettin' hitched."

"Maybe it'll teach you ta ask 'fore ya agree ta do somethin'." Hank snorted in disgust and took a plug of tobacco out of his vest pocket. His yellowed teeth sank into the sweetened wad of dried vegetation, biting off a chunk that was tucked into his cheek. "'Stead a followin' a buncha cows around fer the next three months we're gonna be livin' in a nice big house. Boss even gave us 'nough money ta get a Chink ta cook an' clean. An' we kin hire most a the work done. So shut yer trap. Ya don' hear Silent complainin'."

The old man chuckled at his last statement, and leaned over toward the side of the road to spit. 'Silent' was the third rider, who had thus far lived up to his name. He shook his head at his companions and urged his mare ahead of the others, tired of their bickering. I'll just see what's over the next rise. Maybe they'll get tired of complaining. Or maybe we'll finally be in town and I'll have a better reason to get away from them.

Disclaimer: The attitudes and vocabulary of the characters above are not representative of the author's personal attitudes and opinions. They are, however, historically accurate. If anyone finds them offensive, please feel free to pm me and we'll discuss altering or removing them.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 03-15-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Temple
people strive to be better me i'...

Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Little well was a nice enough place for a native but there were still issues of the few travelers who did bring trouble for people like myself but past that luck is on are side with the spring around us keeping the water running but even fresh water didn't seem to bring in normal white men always bounty hunters and farmers looking for there next pay I guess people do need money to keep the peace.

Ohanko raised a hammer and he then drove a steel nail into the plank of wood on the side of the shop it seemed that the wood had finally started to rot so the shop keeper hired someone to fix it up and that someone was me Ohanko nailed in the final bored before heading inside on his way in he saw the school teacher Miss Ivy he had done some repairs on the school a while back but she didn't seem to see him Ohanko placed the hammer and remaining nails on the table and collected his four dollars before leaving soon finding himself in the tavern drinking by himself again

(sorry about the post i'm in a rush)

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

Lydia opened up the shutters mid-sentence in her lecture about grammar to wake up a few of her older students who had heard it all before. "...because in Latin it is impossible to split the infinitive as it's all just the same word." She turned back around quickly and noticed one Mister James Portway, the local clown, changing his face back to something more respectful. Lydia frowned and shook her head. She didn't want to put him in the corner just yet... it would be nice if he actually spent one class day sitting with the other students and participating. "Now if you in the first row would spend the next few minutes practicing your hand writing, and the second row... I'll give you a few sentences and you'll need to determine which words are the subjects, objects and verbs..."

"But it's lunchtime!" wailed one of the smallest students who clearly was suffering from sitting in once place for far too long.

After a pause Lydia nodded "Alright... well that means you'll need to do it for homework. I want to see two slates filled with handwriting from you three, I'll give you lot the sentences while you're eating and those of you who are in the back I have a vocabulary list for you to memorize."

The children jumped up onto their feet and quickly made for the door. They were promised the comfort of dining and playing outside for lunch in the shade of the large live oaks that sat nearby. Lydia followed them out and sat down on a bench near the schoolhouse door to keep an eye out for any trouble-making they might get themselves into.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 AM

The top of the next rise wasn't quite far enough away to escape the argument between Hank and Luke, but the road was clearly marked and Silent was confident they couldn't get lost before he stopped to let them catch up. He rode on further, enjoying the gentle spring sunshine and the unusual silence. Not only was he away from Hank and Luke, it must be miles from the nearest cemetery. Well, that or this was the quiet sort of town where people didn't die suddenly and leave behind ghosts. Either way, Silent was hardly going to complain. He even found himself smiling as he rode through the serene landscape.

The sun was a bit less gentle by noon, and Silent started looking for a place to rest and eat. Cresting one more hill, Silent got his first glimpse of Little Well. 'Little' was fairly accurate. There couldn't have been twenty buildings in the little valley below, and at least some of them had to be barns, given the patchwork of fields that seemed to spread out in all directions except the one Silent had come from. Coming over that last hill was like leaving the wilderness and stepping into civilization. Rural civilization, but still. I wonder how much further it is to this house the boss wants us to fix up...

Bored with its rider's musings, Silent's horse began picking its way delicately down the hill toward the nearest building. It smelled water from the schoolyard's well, and the lunches of schoolchildren. Silent reined it in at the edge of the schoolyard, and it snorted in disdain when he looped its reins over a tree branch instead of leaving it free to investigate unattended lunch pails.

The older students all paused to watch the stranger dismount and head for the school, but he seemed unaware of them as he dodged nimbly through a game of blind man's bluff being played by the younger children. He removed his hat as he stepped in the door and paused a moment for his eyes to adjust to the comparative darkness of the interior. "Ma'am? I hate to bother you, but I thought I should ask permission to water my horse at your well... And since I'm already bothering you, do you know the way to the old Pearson place?"

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Since when do we ever get- Oh, those kids had better keep away from his horse. Lydia stood up from the bench and switched her eyes back up to Silas. He was definitely a rough-neck of some kind by the look of him. I can't imagine where he's come from in that direction... Waco, maybe?

Lydia gave a little smile that betrayed a small amount of her tension his presence caused. "Of course. There's plenty of clean water for you and your horse." She checked again on the children outside who were either investigating his horse, or peering at the two of them curiously. Lydia frowned at them and waved her hand to gesture some of the bolder boys away from Silas' horse before noticing the other two horsemen riding down the hill some distance away. She had heard stories of wrangers taking out revenge on people who didn't pay what they felt they were due, and the word around town some time back was that Andrew Pearson had moved to Kansas City to become a cattle boss but kept his family house there in Little Well. It wasn't something that had ever happened in her little part of the world... though things did have a habit of going strange when she started thinking that way.

"What sort of business do you have with the Pearsons?" the small woman asked, putting away her own lunch for later. "They don't come around here much anymore... 'been too busy up North. If you're looking for Andy it'd probably be probably be best to keep on riding unless you need supplies or to rest your horses."

At the last word she started walking out to Silas' horse, causing her students to retreat from it in her approach. James had nearly gotten into one of the satchels and while he was a known scamp Lydia had interest in making sure he didn't turn into a thief under her watch. Besides, she could keep from looking Silas straight in the eye if she played the part of the watchful teacher. "I imagine you and your two friends have been riding for a while without a decent meal."

Last edited by Mythos; 03-16-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 03-16-2013, 01:03 PM

"Mister Pearson sent us. His son's getting married, and he wants the old house fixed up for a wedding present." Silent stepped aside to keep from crowding the teacher as she came to the doorway. Not that he would have minded crowding her under other circumstances. She was an unusually attractive woman for a schoolmarm. He kept those thoughts to himself, even as he unconsciously tried to pitch his voice in the educated accent that had grown foreign since leaving college and becoming a ranch hand.

The horse munched on an apple core one of the children had given it and contrived to look smug. Silent untied it and led it to the dry trough beside the well. As much as she slobbers eating apples, I wouldn't want her head in my well bucket. Not that any drool would be left to get in the bucket, as the mare decided to rub her face against his back affectionately as he drew the bucket up. She forgot her affection completely when he poured the water into the trough, and he gave her a rueful look before turning back to the teacher. "We've eaten worse for longer, though we might stop in town if the Pearson place is too far. Is there an inn in town?"

I hope there is... I don't trust Luke not to make an inappropriate comment-- or worse-- and this is a lady. A real one, not the kind who only deserve the title when it's followed by 'of the night'.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 03-17-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM

"Oh!" The teacher put her hands on her hips and looked thoughtful "Gabe's getting married? That's something..." Something unexpected.

When the Ivy's had moved into Little Well Gabriel Pearson was at the peek of his mischievous streak. He had caused her plenty of grief whether it was the discovery of something dead and horrible in the school house or a missing pie from the window sill. It didn't take long for her to learn to cook her pies on an upper story window, but each time was a reminder of his near constant annoyance. I suppose people change when they grow up... but it hasn't even been that long, has it? Lydia looks back at Silas and nodded "It isn't far, their house is just on the east side of town. Just look for the magnolia trees that flank the walk and you've found it."

Lydia looked again to check on how close Silas' friends were to the school yard... they weren't riding fast, but they were making good ground. "...Children, I think we've covered enough for today. Go ahead on home." The general consensus about strangers in these parts was that they could be dangerous. While Silas seemed like a decent man she was certain that the chatty children would have some noisy fathers and older brothers keeping tabs on the school house soon after they got the word. The most enthusiastic youngsters took off immediately for home while the older students shuffled their feet a bit, still curious about their visitor. "I'm not sure what condition the house is in or if there's anything to sleep on in there but it's standing just fine. You might have a few broken panes of glass from the storm that blew through a few weeks ago. If it's not fit there is... sort of an inn. Just ask Mr. Hansworth over at the general store and he'll get you a key and point you in the right direction."

Lydia moved around to the other side of the well and looked down at the bucket being lowered after the trough was filled. "Are they alright? The Pearsons. It's been a while since anyone here has heard from them, but I suppose life in the city is pretty busy." I suppose everything would be alright if he's getting married. "It's just... unusual not to hear from anyone for that long once you've gotten to know them."

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM

"Yes, ma'am... he met Miss Kate at the Governor's Ball last year, and they took to one another right off. The wedding's probably going to be here in Little Well sometime this fall. They're both young for it, but they've both got good heads on their shoulders and Boss Pearson'll start 'em off right." Silas also noticed his friends' approach, and found himself blushing as he realized he'd spoken more words to the schoolmarm in the past few minutes than he'd said to Hank and Luke in the past month. Hank and Luke aren't exactly attractive company, though. She definitely is.

"It's good to know the house is still standing, at least. We'll probably camp out there while we get things fixed up. We're used to roughing it." Silas smiled a bit at the thought of all the times he'd have welcomed a patch of ground that didn't seem to be made entirely of rocks, or a tent that didn't leak like a sieve. A house that at least kept the wind off and had some of its roof intact sounded rather heavenly by comparison. "The Pearsons are doing fine. There's big money in cattle, of course, and they've got quite a herd. They're invested in the railroads, too, and there's some talk about Boss Pearson running for governor of the territory. I guess they've been too busy to come visit."

The last of the older students finally wandered off, probably to bear that last information to their families. It occurred to Silas that the teacher would probably be the person everyone came to for information about the strangers in town, and that he'd been rude by not introducing himself. "My name's Silas, by the way. Silas Kelly. My friends are Hank Folsom and Luke Dobbs. And..." Silas frowned slightly and dropped his voice to more confidential and serious tones. "I should warn you Luke's a little rough around the edges. He doesn't mean any harm, he's just not used to civilized company."

Temple

Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Ohanko looked out the window as he pounded back a shot of whisky he saw what seemed to be two travelers he didn't know if it was just them but at the same time the bar windows went the well placed or cleanest Ohanko payed his tab before heading outside and leaned on one of the posts "More strange white men"

Ohanko watched them before noticing another one by the school talking with Miss Ivy "I wonder what they want" he said before realizing his hand was on his tomahawk Ohanko removed it hoping no one saw him he didn't want trouble with these people Ohanko thought that it might be smart to head back inside Ohanko made his way back to a table but this time by a window so he could keep his eye's on these strangers.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Lydia pat the horse's shoulder and started toward the school house "All good news, then. I'm glad, they're good people" ...mostly... "and hard working, too. You found yourself a good boss, Mister Kelly." She paused for a moment before turning back toward him "I suppose I should show some manners... I'm Lydia Ivy... but, um... the school house isn't going to close itself down so I'd better... get to that."

Her back turned on him on him again and she ducked back into the small wooden building. 'Isn't going to close itself down...', that was poetry, Lydia, real poetry. She rubbed her face, exasperated by her poorly hidden attempt to flee from the conversation with Silas. He isn't even all that bad! Well he is a cowhand, I'm sure he's not as fine as he pretends to be around towns, but I can't even practice speaking with men without immediately putting my foot in my mouth. And what was that about his friend? Rough around the edges... How rough does he mean? Shaking her head the short blonde started closing up the windows one by one and turning a wooden stop to make sure they were latched closed. There wasn't anything really to steal from the building, but it helped ensure there weren't going to be any special guests staying the night in the little building. I can't let myself think about that sort of thing.

As the light started to grow quite dim inside with each closed and latched window her nerves calmed. It hadn't been more than a few minutes since she ducked inside, but there was so much relief in thinking she wasn't being watched anymore. With just a few more windows to close she called out from the back of the schoolhouse to Silas: "Tell your friends when they get in they're free to let their horses drink from the well trough too. I have a few more things to close this place down for the night."

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM

"It's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am." Silas bowed slightly as she turned away, and watched her walk into the school building. He briefly considered offering to help, but she seemed a bit nervous after his description of Luke. When she called out about the horses, he nodded. "Thank you, Miss Ivy. We appreciate it. And our horses appreciate it even more, I suspect."

Silas smiled and went to work hauling more water from the well while his horse occupied itself with the tender shoots of spring grass. He'd left his hat off, and the afternoon sunlight seemed to get tangled in his curly dark hair, making it match his sun-bronzed skin. By the time Luke and Hank arrived, the trough was filled-- sparingly, with just enough water for the thirsty horses. Living in drier areas of the territory made a man respect good water too much to waste it, and besides it would be rude to repay Miss Ivy's assistance by making the trough into a breeding ground for mosquitoes and midges.

While the horses were being watered, Silas spoke with his companions. "House is east of town. We can get a key at the general store."

"An' that's all ya found out, long as you were talkin' to th' schoolmarm?" Luke gave a knowing smirk and eyed the open door of the school. He'd only made one step toward the building when Hank's hand swatted him upside the head. He turned and frowned at the older man, who matched him glare for glare.

"I swear, Luke, you're dumber'n a box of hair. Can't even see a woman 'thout tryin' ta mash on her. Now git back over here 'fore I tie you to yer saddle." Hank's harangue continued as all three men mounted their horses and headed toward the town and rode out of hearing of the school. It continued, in fact, until the old cowboy saw Silent's shoulders relax and his grip on the reins loosen. Better warn Luke away from the schoolmarm, 'less he wants to get hisself killed. Never saw Silent take a shine to a girl like that before.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Lydia poked her head out of the doorway when the sound of Hank's voice started to grow softer. Silas wasn't kidding around when he said rough around the edges... then again his other friend doesn't sound very civil, either. At least I'll be behind them into town. She grabbed her bag of flour and put it just outside the schoolhouse door so she could close it.

The sun was definitely warmer than it had been in the last few months, and that truth couldn't be more welcome. All of the cold rain that fell over the winter was wonderful for the planters, but everyone else was miserable... not that they could have done much about it, really. Ohanko had been called in several times to fix leaks in the schoolhouse roof so the students wouldn't go home soaked and shivering. Lydia grabbed the remains of her lunch and the flour and followed the horse-riders into town quietly. They probably won't even notice me... I mean they don't really have any reason to look back, do they? I doubt they do that much anyways what with that they see from up on their horses all the time. What good is looking back if there's just as much nothingness there as there is in front of you?

The sack of flour was growing heavier the further she walked with it. It didn't feel this heavy this morning... but I suppose it wasn't that warm this morning, either. The blonde woman thought, making for a closed barrel that sat outside of the current apothecary to set the flour down on. I shouldn't have stayed up so late last night. That's probably part of it, too. At least it isn't the heat of the day just yet. Lydia fanned herself a little with her hand and stepped back behind the barrels some to minimize how much of her was visible. The idea of someone coming over to help her carry back the large sack of flour was near mortifying, not that she would let them know that. Just a short break... I'm just about half way home, anyways.

Just then a man she knew stepped out of the apothecary and nodded at her. Immediately she smiled and stopped fanning herself. "Good day, Mister Barton." He replied with a 'Good day, Miss Ivy." and was on his way. The Bartons were quiet people, but very well thought of having come from a landed family in the North East. This one was Gerrad Barton, the second son and one of the accountants at the local bank. At least it was him of all people. She breathed a sigh of relief and closed her eyes.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Hank had finished railing on Luke by the time they arrived at the general store, but mainly because the pair had returned to the usual insults and complaints that passed for conversation between the two of them. Hank and Luke were friends, really, they just had a strange way of showing it, and their constant chatter wore on Silas's nerves. While they argued over what food to buy, he stepped out of the general store and onto the comparatively quiet main street of town. 'Main Street' was an overstatement, he supposed. It was really the only street in town.

The sun shining on blonde hair across the street caught Silas's eye, and he saw Lydia standing just outside the apothecary. A glance over his shoulder confirmed that Hank and Luke would be occupied a bit longer, and he strode across the street. The teacher's eyes were closed, and she looked exhausted. "Miss Ivy? Are you feeling well?"

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Lydia looked up at the partially silhouetted form in front of her and gave a sheepish half smile "Yes, fine I..." her eyes drifted off away from him, searching for an easy excuse "...was just taking a moment in case I forgot something back at the school house." As much as she wanted to avoid interacting with the cattleman, anytime not carrying that sack of flour would let the burning sensation in her arms die down, and the feeling was quite welcome. She took a breath, reassuring herself that in the middle of the town as they were no cowboy, no matter how rough, would mess with her. "Were you able to find the Pearson's alright?"

The inn doors swung closed behind Mr. Howard just across the street. Though it it wasn't much after midday he was already obviously full of various spirits of a not-so paranormal variety. He was one of the most terrifying men Lydia had met when she arrived in Little Well, but the entire Ivy family quickly learned he was almost one of the most harmless. At his worst Mr. Howard was loud but at the same time he was generous. Nevertheless the girl never quite got over her fear of him. He was a lion and she was a mouse. Lydia never inquired as to where his money came from, but she privately thought he was too talented at spending it to be concerned with running out. Sure enough Mr. Howard gave a slurred shout out to someone and shuffled on into the apothecary door trailing the smell of smoke and liquor.

Lydia winced and looked back at Silas. Perhaps she could manage the rest of the way before Silas' friends or Mr. Howard returned. "Or you're probably still just looking for the inn. It's just across the street, there."

Temple

Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM

Ohanko stood as he walked up to the bartender he paid his tab before making his way out side and up to Lydia he could tell she was tired of carrying the sack of some sort Ohanko nodded to the cowboy looking man who was also standing with Lydia "welcome white to little well i'm Ohanko" he said turning back to Lydia as he grabbed the bag of flower "I told you not to strain yourself with heavy work" Ohanko said to Lydia with a look of worry Ohanko had no problems with the bag of flower thanks to working on hoses he would have to cut and put up the lumber when replacing walls. Ohanko then turned back to the man "what work brings to to this little town if you don't mind me asking"

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 PM

"Greetings, Ohanko." Silas nodded formally. He'd never met any natives who wore their hair quite like this one, and the name didn't quite fit in with the few words he knew in Arapaho and Comanche. Still, being polite seldom caused trouble, and the quiet ranch hand preferred to avoid trouble where possible. "My name is Silas Kelly, and my... associates and I have been sent to get the Pearson place ready for Mr. Pearson's son to set up housekeeping."

Silas's steely grey eyes returned to the schoolteacher, and an unaccustomed smile crossed his face. "We found the Pearson place without any trouble, ma'am, thanks to your directions. Hank's just getting the key and some food to keep us the next few days. We'll probably camp out in the house instead of spending Boss Pearson's money on an inn."

The attractive blonde's nervous glances caught his attention, and he reluctantly admitted to himself that he was making her uncomfortable. He tipped his hat and took a step away from her. "I can see I'm keeping you from important business though, Miss Ivy, and I should go give Hank a hand with carrying the vittles, anyway."

Kilia
(^(エ)^)

Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM

Dried grass could be seen in almost every direction except for west. The land appeared as if it was flat, but the female sitting in the covered wagon knew better. She knew that the ground was uneven, that hills barely hide the small town that she grew up in. Even though the sun was shinning down, a few clouds scattered the light blue sky as the paints pulled the wagon towards the hint of green that peeked over the hills that hide them.

Even though it was a bright and sunny day, it just made it seem all that much darker as the abandon drew even closer to Little Well. She tugged on the reins to make the wagon stop so that she could look over the town for the first time in a long time. She gave a heavy sigh, as she tugged the Stetson low over her face, keeping her pale skin safe from the sun that was shining down upon her as she let her blue eyes rake over Little Well.

It didn't take her long to spot the shell of her burned down home, sure there was a horrible memory at the place that she blocked from her mind, and knew there would be seven crosses on the hill that over looked the home. She just hoped the land was still hers by right and had not been sold off to others because they thought her cold as a wagon wheel. Though she had only been on the dodge, sort of, well only after she had personally lost it and killed ever yeller belly that had ruined her life when she was naught but 16. That was before she found a place to work and live at as a lady of the night, she never really slept with any man she just made it seem that way.

After she took a moment to ponder over her foreboding feeling that she had in the pit of her stomach. Clicking her tongue, snapping the reins to prod the paints into action once more. As she got closer to the town, the dead dried grass soon gave away to green grass, even fresh and lively trees which soon turned into buildings and people. Spotting some towns folk standing around barrels, she noted that one of them was an Indian. Being the type of person she had to become because of her line of business, she couldn't just pass up the only people that were not giving her a look like a cat had in a room full of rockers.

"Howdy y'all!" she called to them in greeting, her painted lips pulled up into a smiled as she stopped her wagon. Climbing down it to reveal that she was wearing pants like a man would. Which was frowned upon, completely unladylike and most of all unmoral for a female to wear pants and not a skirt or a dress. "Where do y'all reckon i can find some help around hur?" she asked them, her voice sound as smooth as velvet, though you could tell that she came from the city even if her language placed her in the country.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 AM

Silas looked over at the new voice, narrowing his eyes against the bright sun in a gesture that was already causing tiny wrinkles around his eyes despite his youth. Her masculine clothing made her look like someone's bratty tomboy sister, but the brilliant lips marked her as a type of woman the average cowboy was quite familiar with. Regardless of her station, or perhaps because of it, Silas tilted his hat politely. Manners cost him nothing, and it was often useful to be on good terms with saloon girls and ladies of the evening-- and not just for the obvious reasons. "Howdy, ma'am. What kind of help did you need? I'm afraid I might not be able to offer much. I just got to town, myself."

A glance across the street revealed Hank sitting on a barrel across from one of the locals, obviously settling in for a long conversation while the grocery clerk scurried around the store collecting items on their order. Luke was nowhere in sight, but that wasn't unusual. Luke often vanished when there was a heavy load of anything that he might be asked to carry.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM

The blonde woman bowed her head slightly "I'm certain I can manage it, Mr. Ohanko. It isn't even a full bag." -- truly after all this attention she would close herself up into the cabinet when she meant put the flour away as well. "Thank you for your concern. I will definitely ask if help when I need it." She eyed the bag of flour in his hands, wanting to ask him to put it back down on the sealed barrel she was standing beside but failed in mustering up the courage to do so.

While Lydia worked on summoning her nerve a wagon stopped just off of the apothecary porch and a woman hopped down from the front, smiling with white teeth under red, red lips that from Lydia's knowledge of the world belonged only to saloon and show girls. As she made closer toward them the woman's legs caught Ms. Ivy's attention and she gawked in silent horror at the women in trousers... She understood a woman wearing trousers if she were working in some fields and perhaps with animals but to ride into town in a pair was something out entirely! It was customary to dress one's best when they came to town not... not like this! Beyond the sight of her lips and clothing when she opened her mouth to speak her diction and pronunciation didn't match one another at all, either. The school marm looked further troubled and fretted She's... putting on airs? Faking an accent? What the blazes is this woman doing?!

No, no, no... I can't stay here. I just know I'll say something offensive to-- but why one Earth would you wear trousers AND paint your lips?! She thought, looking increasingly troubled while the girl asked her question. As Silas replied Lydia's eyes shot toward Ohanko then to his hand. Gently she tried to take the bag of flour back from him Mr. Ohanko could probably help her out while I make my escape to the house...

Temple

Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Ohanko still smiling went to put the bag back in Lydia before another new person rode up in a wagon Ohanko's eye's were drawn over to the girl hoping off the wagon he wasn't bothered by how she acted or talked it reminded him of his women when she spoke Ohanko nodded his head, "I may be of some assistance mam but I have . . ." his eyes were shot over to Ms Lydia snapping her eye's at him then her hands Ohanko smiled as he placed the bag back into Lydia's hands, turning back to the women "well looks like i'm free at the moment if your still looking for that help" he said with his normal smile on his face.

Kilia
(^(エ)^)

Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Rosemary looked at the cowboy who tipped his hat to her, sure he was clean and clean shaven but that didn't mean any thing. Even though he showed manners towards her, did not mean that he did not have a dark side that he hid from the world. She had seen men like him to often, showing the good side towards society and the daylight while the other, darker side was only shown to women like her at the dead of night. Her red lips twitched slightly at the thought of what the male could be hiding, after all it could be a number of things, like beating a woman, or maybe he had a thing for younger girls. Though before she could say anything, one of the others had spoken up to her, all she could do was rock on her heels as she shoved her hands into her pockets. She could tell that the female was feeling extremely uncomfortable, but even more so was that it was clear the female was frowning upon her. "Y'all see I'ma need some help with betterments on my land out yonder. I'll also need help roundin' up my bad hosses." she said to them, pointing off towards the skeleton of a home that was covered in weeds and ivy, set off away from town. It was clear that no one had been there in a very long time, she knew that they would be wondering how she was connected to such a place. Her eyes clouded over for a few moments as she wandered back into the past and how that house came to be the way it was now. "Do ya have any skill with that, Injun?" she said to him, not meaning any harm with the common word used for Ohanko's race, if he took it the wrong way then there was nothing she could do about it, after all she had yet to get anyone's name and she only meant well for now.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 07-13-2013, 05:37 PM

"If your horses have been left as long as the house, I reckon they're wearing someone else's brands by now, ma'am." Silas eyed the ruins of the house, which could only be identified as such with a generous eye and plenty of imagination. Still, he could see how its isolation from town could be useful for certain professions.

"We're fixin' up the Pearson place on th' other side of town... gonna put in new windows and wallpaper and whatnot. You can have the old things, if you don't mind secondhand. I'll tell Hank and Luke to be careful takin' things out." He doubted she did mind secondhand, especially not secondhand from the richest house in town. If she did, then she was a fool, and he could probably give them away to someone else. The garrulous Mr. Lodge at the general store had mentioned a widow woman who did cooking out of her old neglected house at the edge of town. Perhaps they could bargain with this Mrs. Hawthorne to fix up that house in exchange for their meals and laundry.

Luke, of course, would argue for fixing up the saloon girl's house in exchange for favors, but he and Hank would have no problem out-voting their tow-headed companion. "And if I see any horses running wild with your brand, I'll bring them around."