IndigoRose
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 AM

So basically, I just spent six months in Japan, and I was wondering if anyone here has actually read any manga in Japanese, or owns manga in Japanese, and what they think of it. I've just started reading D. Gray Man in English to clarify some things that I didn't understand because I'm not a fluent reader in Japanese, and I think the charcters' personalities are a bit different when translated into English. Maybe it's just me, but I reckon there's quite a difference :)

DaisyKeehl
Inactive menace

Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 AM

I am not fluent when it comes to reading. I am better at speaking Japanese.

I had some manga in Japanese but I gave them to a friend.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 AM

I own some Japanese doujinshi, but I have no idea what goes on in them because I can only read the Kanji. :XD (and most of the time, the Kanji doesn't mean what they mean when in Chinese anyway)

A few of my friends own quite a few volumes of manga in Japanese though, and I think their Japanese's quite good too.

IndigoRose
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 AM

Aww that's cool! So you speak Chinese? Or are Chinese? I have almost one hundred volumes of manga being shipped to me right now. I'm sso excited! =D

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 AM

I own a few in Japanese. I can understand enough to know what's going on. I do agree that sometimes in English the personalities change slightly and things are translated wrong sometimes.

IndigoRose
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 AM

I think that the biggest thing for me was noticing how in English, the characters often seem really childish, or strange, but when it's in Japanese, it just seems more normal, and makes more sense. I think that that is probably because when I read in English, I imagine the characters as coming from the same country as me, whereas reading in Japanese makes me think of them deifinitely as Japanese, because that is the language. I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy =D

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoRose View Post
Aww that's cool! So you speak Chinese? Or are Chinese? I have almost one hundred volumes of manga being shipped to me right now. I'm sso excited! =D
Yes, to both questions. :XD
And whoa, a hundred volumes? :shock: That's a lot of manga!
I don't have a lot of manga, because they take up a lot of space and costs a lot of money that I don't have. :sweat: I spend most of my money on novels these days.

LMA0NADE

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Wow, how much is that costing you?? xD

My first teacher always told us never to rely on the media for practising, whereas my other teachers have said quite the opposite. I can deal with most of it, but sometimes I get lost without any furigana.

haku_yowane
*^_^*
Banned

Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 AM

i have to agree 100 VOLUMES!!! that is a lot. if i am, what manga is it. My oldest sister has some japanese manga, but cant read any of it. I have tried to read it but can't. i plan to get all y manga and anime in english.

Ivvy
Fashionably Late

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Ivvy Send a message via Yahoo to Ivvy

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM

I have seen manga in japanese but I can not read it >.<