Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM

So this is more of a rant. Most people when they hear WACOM are hearing praises of their tablets. WELL NOT THIS TIME!

I have a big "Old" Intous 2 graphics tablet that has decided to stop working with the latest Window update. Fine...ok so I go to find the new drivers for it. NOPE. They have recently said that they will no longer be supporting this version of the tablet with any updated drivers.

Basically what I have left is a useless large expensive brick. Sure I purchased it 4 years ago and realize new technology comes out, but if I had known they were going to stop supporting it with driver in that amount of time I would have shelled out more money for a more recent model instead of trying to save money on a mid range.

SO CHOKED RIGHT NOW!!!

I feel like taking a sledge hammer to it to do a mock tutorial. "How to make art with Intous 2 and Newest Windows 7 64bit update."

If there was another Tablet producing company of their quality I'd go with them. I'll also be buying second hand from here on out because I don't want to give that company any more of my money.

wishie
Send me cheesecake

Pixel Pixie

Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM

You have a ten year old tablet, so of course Wacom will decide to stop supporting it at some point.

Windows XP will no longer be supported/updated by Microsoft sometime next year. You think people are going to be all "FU MICROSOFT"? No, they'll upgrade or buy a new pc if they want to continue to have a supported OS. My parents will be buying a new computer with windows 7 sometime next year because of this.

Just recently, Wacom also re-branded their Bamboo line to Intous and the Intous 5 is now called Intous Pro. You can get the new Intous for $80 (Pen and Touch being $100) and the active area is almost the same size as my Intous 4 medium, which I spent around $400 on a couple years ago.

If you want an alternative tablet, I heard the Monoprice tablets are pretty good. You'll have to deal with replacing the batteries in the pen though.

Last edited by wishie; 10-01-2013 at 11:18 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Not the best example, people complain about widows in exactly that way all the time. Especially because when they come out with a new one it's always broken or doesn't do what the last version did. I see where you're coming from. The thing is the technology for tablets hasn't changed that much over the years. They do the same things with the same surface area.

Now those newer models where it's like your drawing on paper because you see it on the touch screen as you go. That's something I could get behind. I almost wonder if they're going to phase out the other tablet completely. It's such a cool concept.

There might be a work around I hadn't considered. Going to windows site and putting in a virtual XP box into windows 7. It might make it chopy though. I'm going to try it and see how it works out later today. If that fails I just might consider the mono price route. I'll have to look up and see how they are with windows 7.